Author Topic: Hantek HDG2002B AWG: 5Mhz or 100MHz? Let's see!  (Read 238329 times)

Offline RFasic

• Contributor
Re: Hantek HDG2002B AWG: 5Mhz or 100MHz? Let's see!
« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2014, 12:21:20 am »
Hi all,

Another annoying problem is that the LCD TN display has been assembled upside down if we consider the usual viewing angle of an operator which look at the display from a higher position !!!

Not very nice ...

Offline simonmc

• Contributor
« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2014, 07:34:49 am »
Another annoying problem is that the LCD TN display has been assembled upside down if we consider the usual viewing angle of an operator which look at the display from a higher position !!!

The 5xxx scopes are the same. They are designed that you can see them if they are on a shelf above the bench. I personally prefer it that way, but then i tend to have my kit on a shelf to keep my small bench clear (or clearer...).

Offline rodlaird

« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2014, 11:31:11 am »
Hantek AWG LOLZ Day #2; turn on AWG - fan comes on but all else dark as the pit of doom. Nothing wakes it; even giving it my Darth Vader stare. Open it up, take out and test fuse. Tests OK. Reinsert fuse - runs perfectly.  |O Reassemble. Sigh.

I confess I have not run the manual through a translater. My Aliexpress supplier says "English manual in 10 days - for sure". Ahem; I will not be holding breath.

The software is clearly very immature; lots of things are inconsistent or just don't work. Sync outputs are fine for Sine, Square and pulse - but drop out for ramp. Screen graphics don't update with parameter changes until you refresh the screen (e.g. duty cycle, phase, amplitude depictions). There are lots of UI "niggles" and surely many more functional bits that that are not performing as intended in areas I have only just begun to explore and where the intended functionality remains obscure.

Is it worthwhile starting to create a log of "stuff that no work" through the forum to push through to Hantek? I'm not sure whether there is a mechanism to do that efficiently within the forum tools...

For all that - this is a piece of kit with impressive potential given its price. Even with all the current rough edges it already does all the critical things I need - and actually a lot more. Others of you will surely stress the performance envelope more of course  :D

Offline trevwhite

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2014, 02:22:02 pm »
Thanks for writing about your experiences, its very useful to get insight into this product. It does seem very cheap. I wonder how many software updates there will be from Hantek and if the updates will fix the loophole in the software to stop the hack currently available.

Trev

Offline FrankenPC

• Supporter
« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2014, 03:20:35 pm »
Hantek HDG2002B's from either EBAY or Amazon.com have suddenly dried up.  Hantek is saying there is a 3-4 week delay as they "fix a problem with the hardware"

EDIT:  Correction:  The Amazon supplier "M&A Instruments" responded to a crazy shipping horizon of 1-1.5 months with this: "Amazon made that erroneous estimation.  You will have the signal generator in about a week".

So, it was just the Ebay supplier who obviously does JIT shipping straight from Hantek to you.

Sorry for the over-reaction.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 03:57:01 pm by FrankenPC »
Chinglish poetry: In the hot summer. In the car ran full steam. It tastes strange. For this worry? With this fan will bring you a cool summer. Suitable for all kinds of cars. Agricultural vehicles. Van. Tricycle.

Offline trevwhite

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2014, 04:11:57 pm »
Well the one ebay supplier I was talking to has just put the price up to 596 pounds. This must represent something.

Do you think in the future the firmware updates will stop this hack. I am wondering if we will be locked in to using this buggy initial version of the firmware but having the higher spec hack?

Offline leppie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2014, 04:59:51 pm »
You can still get from http://r.ebay.com/fwKkq3 for $283 ex shipping.

Offline idpromnut

• Supporter
« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2014, 12:18:26 am »
Have any of you seen this error message as soon as the HDG2002 starts booting (before the kernel is uncompressed, etc):

*** Warning - bad CRC or NAND, using default environment

As a side effect, I don't think I can save any of my settings (the key beep for instance turns back on after a power cycle).

Offline Mark_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2014, 12:38:46 am »
You can still get from http://r.ebay.com/fwKkq3 for $283 ex shipping.
Yes, but perhaps worth noting that shipping to the US is $85(!).  And thus this is a long way from the cheapest option on eBay.  At least for those of us in the states, that's about $40 more.

For others, the equation may be different.

Offline Control:Eng

• Contributor
« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2014, 01:21:12 pm »
Got mine today. Paid 259 Euros on ebay. (Now it's 859 ?!)

First impression: Nice One! Have to play a bit with it and have to look how the waveforms look on my DS1074Z (DS1104Z :) ).

Some questions: Could somebody post the correct .up file for this device so that we can do a backup?

Wanted to do a backup before I take it apart.

Weird thing was: On the packaging of the AWG is written HDG2032B...

Offline trevwhite

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2014, 01:39:23 pm »
I really do not need one of these at the moment but I am trying to figure out if its just too good a deal to pass up on right now. The site is terrible! There is always some great hack on a piece of equipment that makes me want to buy the equipment.

Anyone done any more testing? I am working on the idea that the current software is probably the only one that is going to work with the hack so its current state is all I would be able to use. So how many of the features work properly?

Offline FrankenPC

• Supporter
« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2014, 02:55:32 pm »
Update:  Previously I attempted to buy a HDG2002B from Ebay and the seller (like a lot of sellers) does drop shipping from Hantek to you.  they said that Hantek is now delaying delivery by 3-4 weeks.  SO, I went to Amazon and the seller there just told me the same thing (M&A Instruments).   

I ended up getting one on Ebay from a seller who said they actually have them in stock.  We'll see if he's a liar. 
Chinglish poetry: In the hot summer. In the car ran full steam. It tastes strange. For this worry? With this fan will bring you a cool summer. Suitable for all kinds of cars. Agricultural vehicles. Van. Tricycle.

Offline idpromnut

• Supporter
« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2014, 04:52:08 pm »
So after updating my HDG2002, I ran a few tests on the various function types at the maximum settings. I will provide a better writeup later, but essentially the triangle, square and pulse modes degrade rapidly in both signal shape and strength as the frequency increases past 10MHz. The sine output is great up to about 95MHz.

Offline leppie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2014, 05:17:38 pm »
So after updating my HDG2002, I ran a few tests on the various function types at the maximum settings. I will provide a better writeup later, but essentially the triangle, square and pulse modes degrade rapidly in both signal shape and strength as the frequency increases past 10MHz. The sine output is great up to about 95MHz.

What amplitude did you use? I recall seeing it says only 2Vpp for maximum (not sure what waveform that was though).

Offline idpromnut

• Supporter
« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2014, 05:20:44 pm »
Update:  Previously I attempted to buy a HDG2002B from Ebay and the seller (like a lot of sellers) does drop shipping from Hantek to you.  they said that Hantek is now delaying delivery by 3-4 weeks.  SO, I went to Amazon and the seller there just told me the same thing (M&A Instruments).   

I ended up getting one on Ebay from a seller who said they actually have them in stock.  We'll see if he's a liar.

Sorry I am late on this, but I bought mine here eBay auction: #291122464618 and the experience was extremely positive. Took a bit for me to figure out the offer (290$ + shipping USD) but once shipped the item arrived here in about 4 days (via DHL, brokerage charges of about 35$CAD.  I would highly recommend.

EDIT: that seller only has one left!

Offline IanJ

• Supporter
  • Full time EE & Youtuber
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #65 on: May 16, 2014, 07:22:41 pm »
Great thread.......now my HDG2002B thinks it's a HDG2102C......well untested as yet, but I can go up to 100MHz on the menu instead of 5MHz.

Must admit, I'm new to linux command line but a wee bit of googling and I found how to use the vi command and the jobs a good un'.

Ian.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 07:45:14 pm by IanJ »
Ian Johnston - Original designer of the PDVS2mini || Author of the free WinGPIB app.
Website - www.ianjohnston.com
YT Channel (electronics repairs & projects): www.youtube.com/user/IanScottJohnston, Twitter (X): https://twitter.com/IanSJohnston

Offline Control:Eng

• Contributor
« Reply #66 on: May 16, 2014, 08:15:37 pm »
Time for a small conclusion:

Status Quo:

Unmodified HDG2002B

After playing 2 hours with it I can say that the waveforms seem to be good and within the specification (at least regarding rise time and overshoot).

Until now, I didn't manage to create a waveform within the internal Editor of the device. I already got 3 bluescreens and many times it didn't react to inputs...A software update could be useful :)

Nevertheless, you get much for your money...250MSa/s, 16 Bit and a big memory.

Offline idpromnut

• Supporter
« Reply #67 on: May 16, 2014, 09:15:03 pm »

What amplitude did you use? I recall seeing it says only 2Vpp for maximum (not sure what waveform that was though).

1Vpp to stay well within their specs.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #68 on: May 16, 2014, 11:23:51 pm »

The output filter probably has a sharp roll-off. With a bandwidth of 100MHz a square wave of 30MHz won't look much like a square wave since only the 60MHzand 90MHz harmonics get through the filter. Still 100MHz bandwidth is pretty useful.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Mark_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #69 on: May 17, 2014, 10:35:12 am »
The output filter probably has a sharp roll-off.

Nico, what would make you think so?

With a bandwidth of 100MHz a square wave of 30MHz won't look much like a square wave since only the 60MHzand 90MHz harmonics get through the filter.

True, IF it had only a 100 MHz BW.  However, if you look at the specs you'll see it claims it can do 40 MHz square waves, and 30 MHz pulses, and that's simply not possible with a 100 MHz BW.

Hmm, those are the new limits, according to the OP, but Hanteks specs are quite different, even for the 100 MHz size models... basically an anemic 4 or 5 MHz for everything except sine and arb. 

But that doesn't make any sense, because arb is rated to 30 MHz, with a 6ns rise-time.  And the duty cycle of square waves is rated at 40-60% at "10-40 MHz", and 50% beyond 40 MHz?  And Pulse periods are rated down to 33.3 ns (i.e., 30 MHz).  So I'd say the "4-5 MHz" part of the spec chart is incorrect, and the OP has got it right.

To achieve those results would mean the output filter would be out somewhere around 400 MHz, not 100 MHz.

Offline _Sync_

• Contributor
« Reply #70 on: May 17, 2014, 02:42:40 pm »
The DAC they are using is an Analog Devices TXDAC AD9747BCPZ.

They did not rub the numbers off mine well enough ;)

Edit: Just had some look around it with my thermal camera, the Vreg for the CPU circuitry needs rework, it runs blazingly hot as shown in the pictures.
I guess it will be a bit better with the case on and the airflow actually working but that is not a good design right there.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 03:36:04 pm by _Sync_ »

Offline fremen67Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #71 on: May 18, 2014, 12:49:55 am »
As my MSO i running again, I took some pictures of a 2V sine waveform from 5 to 100Mhz and of a 2V square waveform from 10 to 40Mhz. The AWG is directly connected to my MSO with coax.

You will see that the amp of the sine is decreasing after 30Mhz
The results of the square are logical with a constant rise time / fall time of about 7ns
I'm a machine! And I can know much more! I can experience so much more. But I'm trapped in this absurd body!

Offline idpromnut

• Supporter
« Reply #72 on: May 18, 2014, 04:44:30 am »
Fantastic fremen67!  I grabbed a few screen captures as well after seeing yours. I was a little worried that I had screwed up the fall off, but I think you may have been running into a limitation of your scope for at least the sine wave past 30MHz or so.

All measurements were made at 2Vpp, vertical scale @ 500mV/div. I adjusted the sweep speed to get a good image of the waveform so you can see distortion (if any). I also used my Rb standard as the external clock source for the HDG2002.

One thing of note is the "noisy" sine as one approaches 100MHz. Actually, I was seeing glitches and noise in the sine signal after about 30-40MHz, so perhaps there is something to do with the filtering that is removing this below that frequency range. I didn't notice this behavior with the other function types.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 04:49:56 am by idpromnut »

Offline _Sync_

• Contributor
« Reply #73 on: May 18, 2014, 09:30:46 am »
Yeah I also noticed the glitching with fast sines, I wonder what that is about...

Did you also look at the noise mode? From what I have measured it does not look that random at all...

Offline idpromnut

• Supporter
« Reply #74 on: May 18, 2014, 10:47:38 am »
Yeah I also noticed the glitching with fast sines, I wonder what that is about...

Did you also look at the noise mode? From what I have measured it does not look that random at all...

I didn't look at the noise too closely yet.

I also wonder if some of the answers are in the datasheet for the dac. Will have a look at that later today.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf