Author Topic: Hantek - Tekway - DSO hack - get 200MHz bw for free  (Read 2189919 times)

Offline Scrts

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Hantek - Tekway - DSO hack - get 200MHz bw for free
« Reply #150 on: January 12, 2011, 07:34:36 pm »
So I've made my order @ GoodLuckBuy and paid through PayPal and selected free shipping. About an hour later I get an email from the shop and they say, that it is impossible to send the item using free shipping. Neither registered airmail, nor EMS (which would cost additional 30USD), so they asked me to pay additional 40USD for DHL. Its quite annoying, since I live in Lithuania, which is a part of European Union and a guy here had DHL shipping for free to the UK, which is even further. So I've asked how can I pay for DHL, since the invoice is paid and they have to generate another one I suppose?

Finally:
be sure that You won't get a PITA dealing with China suppliers...

Offline pgup62

• Contributor
    • Elec3i Instrumentation et automatisme
« Reply #151 on: January 12, 2011, 09:24:56 pm »
@scrts,
Big big sorry to you.  ??? Today I asked informations from Europe Direct service center and I am waiting informations from french Custom too. I asked some european clients wether they were charged or not with VAT. I think I will get all answers tomorrow. But after many inquiries, it seems that our european clients were not charged with VAT because we are not under VAT policy (french taxe policy for micro-enterprises business). In France our clients do not pay french VAT because of our business status ("micro-entreprise"). It should be the same with all european customers because this process should be equal to everybody in Europe, not only with the french people.
When this will be confirmed, this will mean that our prices is better than Tinhead said, because no VAT and discount here (30 EUR).
@Tinhead,
Please verify VAT policies in Europe because it is not so obvious as you seem to affirm... There are many rules and it gives the feeling that every case is different from another

Offline Igor

• Contributor
« Reply #152 on: January 13, 2011, 01:45:08 pm »
@ tinhead:
I want to buy Tekway DST1102B.
The seller from China said that the device has the English interface, but the system only Chinese.
I think the built-in Help system, etc.  
Can I install full English version of the software of your recommendations?  
Can I count on your help?
In advance thank you.

P.S. What other information about the device, check with the seller for the correct decision about purchasing?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 01:48:14 pm by Igor »

Offline PsI-On

• Contributor
« Reply #153 on: January 13, 2011, 04:55:52 pm »
Hi Igor,

I got a DST1062B in China last month. As you can see from the photo, some of the front panel is in Chinese (not a problem, after a week you'll know what button does what!).
The menu was in Chinese when I got it, took me a while to figure out how to update the firmware.
When I did update with tinheads, the default language was English  ;)

Oh by the way, I paid 2000 Yuan for it, that's about 235 euro  ;D

-PsI

Offline Igor

• Contributor
« Reply #154 on: January 13, 2011, 07:29:04 pm »
@PsI-On:
You can say a seller bought the appliance?
Your price is much lower than I would like to buy DST1102B.

Offline Scrts

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #155 on: January 13, 2011, 09:43:14 pm »
Oh by the way, I paid 2000 Yuan for it, that's about 235 euro  ;D

And said this so late...  :-[ Mine is shipping from GoodLuckBuy, had to pay for DHL :-\ Well at least I got soldering tip cleaner for free and tracking of the package ::)

Tell us the supplier!

Offline Igor

• Contributor
« Reply #156 on: January 14, 2011, 09:09:09 am »
@All:
Here is the link to the site of the seller DTS1062B and costs 2000 Yuan.
http://youa.baidu.com/item/8ffb93b8ca327c15601fac17
I hope someone can buy appliance …

Offline tinheadTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • If you like my hacks, send me a donation
« Reply #157 on: January 14, 2011, 12:40:36 pm »
this is exactly what i said before, if you buy in/from china you will get one very cheap, but with some
chinese buttons and crippled firmware (afaik the chinese firmware have less features).

Firmware is not a big deal since the hack and 2.0.6.2 update has been released,
chinese buttons can be easily fixed if you have a printer.

GoodLuckBuy is delivering Hantek's only, and Hantek has changed the enclosure
and buttons design a bit - so they always english - and just due the internal agreements they a bit expensive than Tekway
models (so even if you find one directly in china you will have to pay more than for Tekway chinese model)

So if you need warranty buy from :
mortoncontrols.com
elec3i.com
pinsonne-elektronik.de

if you need only english interface and DOA warranty:
GoodLuckBuy
or whoever on ebay (but be careful and check they really provide DOA warranty)

and if you don't care that much about warranty or front panel/buttons:
baidu.com
taobao.com

It can happens that if you buy in/from china a Tekway model, you will get one of very early models.
They don't have heatsinks on ADCs and FPGA - not a big deal if you install small 12V fan
(and replace the 7812 on power supply board with 7808 or even 7805) or small heatsinks on ADCs at least.

I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Offline Igor

• Contributor
« Reply #158 on: January 14, 2011, 05:10:30 pm »
Unfortunately, many Chinese websites do not have the English version.
It is very difficult to make an order on such site. Often they do not accept international payments because work with the Yuan only.
I'm trying to find a partner in China, so that through him the order on such site, but so far failed.
Only one vendor has agreed to sell me DST1102B with the Chinese system, and costs much more than the Chinese online stores.
I live in Russia, so I don't need the manufacturer's warranty. In Russia there is no service centers Tekway, Hantek, Protek. And send the defective device in repairs in China would be extremely expensive, and it's not profitable.
So I want to buy an inexpensive oscilloscope and will try to modify it. Although experience on hacking the devices I have not.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 05:37:09 pm by Igor »

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #159 on: January 14, 2011, 05:59:44 pm »
Unfortunately, many Chinese websites do not have the English version.
It is very difficult to make an order on such site. Often they do not accept international payments because work with the Yuan only.

The currency as such isn't the problem, Chinese vendor's limited access to international payment systems (credit card, Paypal *spit*) is.

You can hire agencies http://www.google.de/search?q=buy+from+taobao to deal with Chinese speaking vendors and the Chinese payment system. But they of course take a fee, and I would be very careful when selecting one, so not to end up with a conman. In the end it might not be worth using an agent.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline Igor

• Contributor
« Reply #160 on: January 15, 2011, 06:48:49 am »
Chinese vendor's limited access to international payment systems (credit card, Paypal *spit*) is.
This is what I meant.

But they of course take a fee, and I would be very careful when selecting one, so not to end up with a conman. In the end it might not be worth using an agent.
This problem actually exists.
Therefore it is better to work with a proven seller.

Offline pgup62

• Contributor
    • Elec3i Instrumentation et automatisme
« Reply #161 on: January 20, 2011, 01:36:33 pm »
Dear All,
Hao jiu bu jian le !!! ;)
I finally can access the blog again, oops.
We have relationship with chinese vendors and evrything should be done with care:
Some cheap devices sometimes mean : chinese local market. I cannot believe you will get some help or warranty from this market: once you paid, you get your device and bye bye. Many times the motherboard is made of cheap components, no thermo-retractable shrinkable tube to protect mains or other wire connexxions, glue here and there, and so on. Sometimes too, the motherboards are from the second market, a repaired board for instance. But the worse is a copy of a genuine board...  >:(
As previously mentioned, Elec3i offer good prices for the Eevblog users. Now we have discount prices for at leat 3 weeks as we call this : "Les Soldes d'hiver".
It is a traditional french discounting period where you can access cheapest products after winter hollidays.
For now : DSO52102B is 549,00 EUR with VAT=0, discount=30,00 EUR, final price = 519,00 EUR. We charge shipping (packing free) with the price you can find to the french international post office, Coliposte : http://www.colissimo.fr/affranchissementenligne/displayShipment.do
We don't take extra fees for delivery because we have special agreements with our another company : Geyre Electronique SA.
We received the french custom answer for VAT and answers from some european clients : no european clients is charged with VAT after their purchse from Elec3i, because as a micro-enterprise we have special VAT policy. All we sell is VAT=0 in France, and it is equal this policy can be applied to european clients too. So as a conclusion, the prices you can find in our website: http://elec3i.com are gross prices.  ;D

Offline Scrts

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #162 on: January 21, 2011, 12:42:40 am »
Since mine DSO5102B has a new firmware, I have to use UART or JTAG. Is it really UART there is 5V levels? I have my own board with FT232 and 3.3V levels. Also maybe it is possible to get step-by-step manual how to flash firmware using JTAG? I have Segger J-Link :)

I see that the scope top surface above LCD gets warm, since there is no cooler. Is it normal?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #163 on: January 21, 2011, 02:29:53 am »
Since mine DSO5102B has a new firmware, I have to use UART or JTAG. Is it really UART there is 5V levels? I have my own board with FT232 and 3.3V levels.

yeah, i said "TTL UART USB converter" just because of easy search on ebay.
The i/o port is LVCMOS of course (3.3V). I know that the ports are 5V tolerant, but i would still
recommend to use "proper" 3.3V levels.

Also maybe it is possible to get step-by-step manual how to flash firmware using JTAG? I have Segger J-Link :)

well, i use H-JTAG USB (for which i wrote OOB NAND drivers) so no idea how to read/write NAND properly (with OOB blocks) over J-Link.
Search for mini2440, s3c2440 + j-link, there are tons of manuals/threads available.

I see that the scope top surface above LCD gets warm, since there is no cooler. Is it normal?

yes, it is. The temperature measured in my DSO (measured on a hot summerday after 2hrs warm-up time):
SNT controller (TOP246YN) - 65°
KA378R33 - 70°
KA 78R05 - 58°
ADCs (without heatsink) - 60°
FPGA (without heatsink) - 60°
BNC plugs - 45°

so as you can see they hot but still within specs. You can install a cooler, there is everything prepared on power supply PCB (7805 + some caps).
It is enough to drive a 12V cooler with 8V or even 5V to make the enclosure temperature much lower (with 5V almost no cooler noise)

I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Offline Zinahe

« Reply #164 on: January 21, 2011, 08:26:56 pm »
tinhead and all,

Thank you for the all the good work.

Do you think this UDT2102CEL http://www.andahammer.com/udt2102cel/ can be hacked the same way like it is done on the Tekway ? I know the UT2102CE has been mentioned at the begining of the discussion, but I believe this particular model is different. I could be wrong, but the damn thing looks very  similar to the Tekway version.

Regards,

Zinahe A.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #165 on: January 21, 2011, 09:55:15 pm »
@Zinahe

if you ever heard about "chinese piece of crap", then it was one of such famous things like the UNI-T CEL.

This is one of these management decision devices, not a new design, just a new display, cheap interpolation (actually not interpolation, 4 pixels will be displayed as one) on a cheap 480x234 display. So what is the resolution ? Exact 240 x 120 ...

So no, don't compare it and no there is nothing "similar" (just think about 7' BMW and VW Golf ..  both are cars - you can drive both but you should not compare). For sure some ppl will buy UNI-T, but to be very honest Rigol is cheaper (and with some luck you hack it)
is having 320x240 resolution and light years better than the UNI-T.

About a hcak possibility : UNI-T is like Rigol FPGA + DSP based - the most critical thing is to hack the DSP firmware. Just check the Rigol thread and you will see it can be possible but only if the manufacturer was too lazy ... If you have a chance to get both 100 and i don't know 60MHz? you can try to compare firmwares .. but that's a lot of work, time and it costs some money.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 09:57:49 pm by tinhead »

Offline Tohuwabohu

« Reply #166 on: January 22, 2011, 09:04:49 am »

2. Observe a signal on channel 1 and setup triggering using a suitable level and timebase. While observing the waveform press "SINGLE SEQ". The waveform is captured. Change the timebase to another setting. Press "SINGLE SEQ" again. The waveform is captured but at the OLD timebase setting, even though the scope is displaying the NEW timebase on the screen. The workaround is to change the timebase only while the scope is in the RUN mode i.e. the "RUN STOP" button is green.

yes, this is known bug (new since 2.6.x), i did notified Hantek/Tekway about it already.
As a work around you have to select always first "run", change time base, and then use single seq.
Especially if long memory is specified this bug really sucks, but the work around works (so let's hipe next fw will fix it).

This bug seems to be fixed in the 60 Mhz Tekway I received from Pinsonne yesterday.
System Status:
[model] dst1062b
[softversion] 2.06.3(110111.0)
[hardversion] 0x555583e8
[serial number] T 1G/100M ......

I think some of the FFT window options are new.
I can select between Hanning, Flatop, Rectangular, Bartlett and Blackman.

Math menu shows two additional options: CH1/CH2 and CH2/CH1.

Several new options in the Measure Menu:
Delay1-2Rise, Delay1-2Fall, +duty, -duty, Vbase, Vtop, Vamp, Overshot, Preshot, Period Mean, Period RMS
The Help entries for these options are incomplete. Trying to scoll past Delay1-2Fall blocks the scope and the only way to get it into normal operation is the power switch.

English seems to be the only available language in this firmware.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 11:14:26 am by Tohuwabohu »

Offline Scrts

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #167 on: January 23, 2011, 02:04:15 am »
The i/o port is LVCMOS of course (3.3V). I know that the ports are 5V tolerant, but i would still
recommend to use "proper" 3.3V levels.

Cool, will try that.

so as you can see they hot but still within specs. You can install a cooler, there is everything prepared on power supply PCB (7805 + some caps).
It is enough to drive a 12V cooler with 8V or even 5V to make the enclosure temperature much lower (with 5V almost no cooler noise)

Maybe You remember the diameter of the cooler or the length between mounting holes?
Thanks for helping!

BTW, no news about SDK? I've managed to dump all the firmware, so I am safe to start :)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #168 on: January 23, 2011, 02:13:22 am »

Maybe You remember the diameter of the cooler or the length between mounting holes?
Thanks for helping!

[/quote]

standard 50mm cooler.

BTW, no news about SDK? I've managed to dump all the firmware, so I am safe to start :)

no, no news about SDK.

Offline Mala_elektronic

• MaLaEE-Homepage
« Reply #169 on: January 24, 2011, 07:56:28 am »
Hi,
on this side I have written down my experience with the Tekway DST1102B. Maybe someone find it useful.
Here is the Side in German (http://www.martin-lauff.de/tekway-dst1102b.html)
and here in English (http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.martin-lauff.de%2Ftekway-dst1102b.html) by Google translator.

I have the Firmware version 2.06.1 (101008.0). I wonder if there is an update for my DSO. In the Internet I haven’t found any.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #170 on: January 24, 2011, 10:26:21 am »
Hi,
on this side I have written down my experience with the Tekway DST1102B. Maybe someone find it useful.
Here is the Side in German (http://www.martin-lauff.de/tekway-dst1102b.html)
and here in English (http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.martin-lauff.de%2Ftekway-dst1102b.html) by Google translator.

mr uni-t killer did Tekway review, nice.

I have the Firmware version 2.06.1 (101008.0). I wonder if there is an update for my DSO. In the Internet I haven’t found any.

yes, there is for Tekway 2.6.2 created by me so you could use it but probably it would be better to wait for official 2.6.3
As already posted by someone here, Tekway/Hantek is delivering DSOs with 2.6.3 right now. However there is no update available
on manufacturers website (but you can ask Tekway via email for new fw).
The reason is very simple - due the 200MHz hack they have to post (for now) separate versions per model.

I have it here, i could repackage it for your device and send you via email - so you can update your review :)
There are many changes:
- FFT new features
- PASS/FAIL with many options (3rd page in Utility menu)
- Additional RECORDER (3rd page in Utility menu)
- Additionaly Filters "Bandpass, High, Low- pass" (3rd page in Utility menu)
... still not checked all options as i have it since an hour

« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 10:37:08 am by tinhead »

Offline Scrts

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #171 on: January 24, 2011, 04:59:04 pm »
So if the updates are pretty frequent, what about hacked devices updates? Once hacked to the better BW scope, the official firmware will detect the hack or not? I wonder if the firmware update tool check the current version of the software or it checks the hardware. There is possibility, that one day, the hacked scope could be updated (or actually downgraded) only using JTAG.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #172 on: January 24, 2011, 05:39:02 pm »
So if the updates are pretty frequent, what about hacked devices updates? Once hacked to the better BW scope, the official firmware will detect the hack or not? I wonder if the firmware update tool check the current version of the software or it checks the hardware. There is possibility, that one day, the hacked scope could be updated (or actually downgraded) only using JTAG.

as for now, all firmware updates are updating to newer version regardless of hacked/not hacked, so if you did hacked to 200MHz model
it will remain 200MHz after fw update.

In the future of course there is a small chance that Hantek will change the firmware to check for example part of SN
- all Hantek models have SN's like T 1G/xxM yyyyyy where xx is model speed and yyyyyy serial number). For Tekway it will be a bit difficult,
all DSOs sold before Nov 2010 have different Model/SN codeing - but of course you can catch them too with some effort.
... but we can then still logon to shell and reprogramm EEPROM so what.

Offline campodea

• Contributor
« Reply #173 on: January 24, 2011, 09:25:53 pm »
I bought my Hantek DSO5102B from elec3i. They were really fast in processing my order and packed the scope very well!

Some things I noticed on the first day of playing with my new toy:

On my unit the measure and cursor buttons have to be pressed about twice as hard as all the other ones.
The ch2 position knob protrudes about 2mm more than the ch1 knob, it was glued (or is stuck) to far out on its shaft.
The TTScope software shows the not very informative message "5" upon clicking the connect button in Vista (in VMWare Fusion, will try on native windows).
The noise is prominent in xy mode, as Mala_elektronic also pointed out in his review.

Apart from that it made a really quite good first impression and I think I would buy it again!

Offline Scrts

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #174 on: January 24, 2011, 10:04:25 pm »
The ch2 position knob protrudes about 2mm more than the ch1 knob, it was glued (or is stuck) to far out on its shaft.

Thats strange, mine is OK.

Btw, That TTScope software is slow as hell... Pointless except of using for steady signal screenshots... Like on every scope :) I wonder if the scope has LAN expand module, what software does it support?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf