Author Topic: Hantek - Tekway - DSO hack - get 200MHz bw for free  (Read 2204178 times)

Offline tinheadTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • If you like my hacks, send me a donation
Re: Hantek - Tekway - DSO hack - get 200MHz bw for free
« Reply #2400 on: July 07, 2014, 08:10:23 am »
Who knows HDG2000B series has 10MHz external reference input(BNC) or not.

yes it does, but there is not clear if it have jitter problem with that input.

here is the HDG thread

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hantek-hdg2002b-awg-5mhz-or-100mhz-let's-see!/
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 03:02:44 pm by tinhead »
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Offline rosasharn

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2401 on: July 08, 2014, 05:48:25 am »
Thank you, tinhead!
I'll ask the poster "if it have jitter problem with that input" on the HDG thread.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 05:51:48 am by rosasharn »

Offline artag

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2402 on: July 08, 2014, 08:26:56 am »
with no issue - i'm using MSO with 2M SRAM, so can during boot chose between MSO and BMV DSO), and between B and MSO models it is only the additional PCB mounted to i/o port on the B model mainbaord (and some few passive parts necessary to enable int , etc on the extra PCB).

How did you get to a an MSO with 2M ? Is it a BM with added LA board, or an MSO with memory added ?

(I'm trying to make up my mind between these two so would love to be able to have both in one, even if you g=have to reboot to swap)

Offline rosasharn

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2403 on: July 09, 2014, 07:36:21 am »
As far as I know, it's 1M SRAM on MSO hardware.
How to change it to 2M?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2404 on: July 13, 2014, 12:33:07 am »
How ... ?

How ... ?

ok, let me tell you what i did to my hw1007 MSO. The only differences between BMV\BM and MSO are the DSO/MSO executable, the physical memory, the EEPROM stored license and CPLD design. The CPLD design was easy, sure one need to program it with USB blaster but once programmed it can work with both BMV\BM and MSO firmwares. I noticed some issues with hw1007 MSO firmware and BMV\BM CPLD design, but they seems to be due bug in firmware and not general compatibility problem (well, i was able to patch it away in firmware). The EEPROM licensing, i did expalined it on previous page, it is the easiest thing. The physical memory is based on synch SRAM. That SRAM is connected to FPGA but as well to CPLD - this is why one need BMV\BM design loaded into CPLD. In principle not only 2M but as well 4M are possible, from hardware point of view, to be used in these DSO/MSOs:

1M - IS61LPS25636A(-200TQLI or -250TQLI)
2M - IS61LPS51236A(-200TQLI or -250TQLI)
4M - CY7C1440AV33(-250AXC/AXI/AXCT)

Of course the CPLD design (which actually can be reversed and changed to support it) and the firmware have to support it as well (this could be patched as well, but let stay serious - one need for that stable firmware, which is not yet given). Anyway.

So if one load the CPLD design, re-program EPROM with 2M licensing added and replace the IS61LPS25636A with IS61LPS51236A then only the oscilloscope executable will remains as diff between models.

The executable dso.exe need as well matching language file (in my case English.lan) and calibration files (i don't wanted to spend time calibrating DSO/MSO each time i switch between systems, so created for each model own calibration). I thought nice boot menu could be a good idea, so i took tool released some time ago by Tekway (fpga.exe, for hw0 models), recompiled it to hw1007 platform (there are sources available, just check this thread) and implemented into rcS. So my DSO/MSO is displaying nice menu on each boot:

all i have to do is then to push F1 or F2 or "Probe check" buttons to proceed with action. That's all.
(detailed, in german -> http://www.mikrocontroller.net/topic/289260#3126759).
(some info in english -> https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hantek-tekway-dso-hack-get-200mhz-bw-for-free/msg217002/#msg217002 )

The rcS is copying DSO or MSO cal data, english.lan and dso.exe to proper directory, it's load fpga design (again, it need to be loaded once to read back buttons and then once for normal use) and then starting the one or other firmware - ready.

Now one might ask "is that possible on current, hw101 hardware". Well, i cant answer that, yet. In principle i didn't saw any difference in CPLD routing (from pictures, so there might be somethign not visible). One need of course proper CPLD design, from hw101 BMV model. But honestly, hw101 firmware loaded on hw1007 (don't do this!) can access all that memory, so CPLD design looks to be fine. EDIT (but it has been updated, so one need to get CPLD dump from latest BMV/BM model in order to get the 2M working on MSO). That fpga.exe can be probably recompiled for 3.x linux. So i think that can be done as well. Sure, one will have to recompile the menu ui as well (not sure, maybe my will work on newer linux as well). But there is one bad thing in such hack, one can NOT use any firmware updates anymore - every update need to be first decrypted and unpacked, analyzed what necessary to be used from and copied manually to DSO/MSO in order to leave the hack working. This is not lot of work, but i'm sure this is not for everybody. I don't mind, i do have ftp running on my MSO, can access all the time over lan nd shell, don't need to disassemble anything, know all the tricks as well. But that's for me.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 08:43:35 pm by tinhead »
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Offline artag

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2405 on: July 13, 2014, 12:49:12 pm »
Perfect, thanks for the great writeup.

Why aren't all scopes hackable / customisable, like PCs ? I love top quality testgear but the growing practice of HP and Tek etc. providing postprocessors and other facilities as expensive software licences is a throwback to 1960's IBM. Looking forward to the first Android scope ..

Offline rosasharn

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2406 on: July 16, 2014, 01:16:11 am »
Wow, it's really cool. Many thanks for this writeup. :-+

Offline rosasharn

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2407 on: July 19, 2014, 05:28:30 am »
If can find curve tracer on Tekway scope?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2408 on: July 20, 2014, 07:21:36 pm »
If can find curve tracer on Tekway scope?

there is XY mode and any DSO with XY mode can be used (with small external circuit) as curve tracer.

Offline rosasharn

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2409 on: July 22, 2014, 12:43:09 am »
Wow, what kind of 'small external circuit' should be with?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2410 on: July 22, 2014, 09:33:26 am »
Wow, what kind of 'small external circuit' should be with?

google "curve tracer circuit oscilloscope" there are lot of them. Some very simple (and working very good), some complex (and not giving any big difference, wondering why ppl always trying to "make better" simple things ...), enought to play with for years:

Offline clanto

« Reply #2411 on: July 22, 2014, 03:45:54 pm »
Hello All,

I didn'n read all the topic but you can answer my question quicker. (I hope it :P)
If I buy a Hantek DSO5102P and hack it into 200Mhz, shall I flash the DSO5202P's official firmware to DSO5102P or I have to use the DSO5102P type?
There is any different between the firmwares?

Offline Dave_S

« Reply #2412 on: July 22, 2014, 03:54:34 pm »
I apologize in advance for posting what probably is a dumb question, but I really like my new scope and would hate to brick it by doing something that I am not sure of.  I have a new Hantek DSO5102P that I just received last week.  I got the latest firmware from the Hantek site (dso5kp_func_dso5102p20140208.up), and completed the update without a hitch.  My problem is that the MATH MENU does not have the FFT option that is mentioned in the scope's data sheet and manual, before or after the update.  I would like to install Tinhead's improved firmware for the DSO5102P that was introduced on page 133 post 1994 of this thread, but while the post says the firmware is for the "P" series it does not mention any possible hardware versions?  I have read about differences occuring with serial numbers above 15000, but my serial number of (T 1G/036 001705) seems to be from a completely different series? My question is does anyone have experience  with Tinhead's improved firmware on a "P" series device with hardware version (1000xffff8103)?  Many thanks in advance for any advice or helpful information, so that this old retired dude can proceed with as much knowledge as possible.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2413 on: July 22, 2014, 05:04:22 pm »
I didn'n read all the topic but you can answer my question quicker. (I hope it :P)
depends, some ppl know how to search, some know how to ask (dedicated) question, others spend weeks to read 160 pages to find nothing.

If I buy a Hantek DSO5102P and hack it into 200Mhz, shall I flash the DSO5202P's official firmware to DSO5102P or I have to use the DSO5102P type?
after hack always firmware for the new model, so in your case DSO5202P

There is any different between the firmwares?
currently no differences, but that might change.

Offline clanto

« Reply #2414 on: July 22, 2014, 06:01:22 pm »
Thanks!  ;D

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2415 on: July 22, 2014, 09:09:26 pm »
I apologize in advance for posting what probably is a dumb question, but I really like my new scope and would hate to brick it by doing something that I am not sure of. 

i will check that tomorrow and let you know how to switch over to firmware with FFT.

Offline rosasharn

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2416 on: July 23, 2014, 01:39:58 am »
google "curve tracer circuit oscilloscope" there are lot of them. Some very simple (and working very good), some complex (and not giving any big difference, wondering why ppl always trying to "make better" simple things ...), enought to play with for years:

Thanks, tinhead.
It's very useful.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2417 on: July 23, 2014, 05:22:26 pm »
I got the latest firmware from the Hantek site (dso5kp_func_dso5102p20140208.up), and completed the update without a hitch.  My problem is that the MATH MENU does not have the FFT option that is mentioned in the scope's data sheet and manual, before or after the update. 

from the system information, tell me the hw version.

I would like to install Tinhead's improved firmware for the DSO5102P that was introduced on page 133 post 1994 of this thread, but while the post says the firmware is for the "P" series it does not mention any possible hardware versions? 

it is for any "P" model, no matter what hw version.

As you have already newer fw version you can NOT simply use firmware update to downgrade. You will have to copy
it manually to your DSO. Go to my onedrive, to firmware -> hw1.00.0 folder and download DSO-P-custom_3.40.0_130717.1.zip

Inside that file you will find dso_patched.exe and English.lan (i do no use any other languages, so when you need others you
will have to decrypt/extract them from e.g. dso5kp_v3.40_dso5102p20130722.0.up ), copy them both to flash drive.

Then you need that tool from Peter Dreisiebner, http://peter.dreisiebner.at/dso-usb-tool/

Connect the DSO to PC, install drivers, run that tool from Peter. Go then to Log tab and select which driver you have installed,
"Use USB" for Hantek drivers or "Use LibUSB0" for LibUSB drivers.

Go then to shell tab and click on "Send", when you got anything else that error the connection is working and you can continue.
Now insert the flash drive into DSO, wait few seconds until it got recognized. Now run following (paste to "command" and click
each time on "send", wait each time until led stop blinking, if any):

cp /mnt/udisk/dso_patched.exe /dso_update.exe
sync
chmod 777 /dso_update.exe

rm /OurLanguages/*.lan
cp /mnt/udisk/English.lan /OurLanguages
sync

Now power cycle your DSO, it should startup with that patched fw version (check then in system information).

I have read about differences occuring with serial numbers above 15000, but my serial number of (T 1G/036 001705) seems to be from a completely different series?

actually this is my mistake, "P" models are always with new SoC (S3C2416), they can have any S/N.

The "S/N > 15000" indication is actually only to help people to recognize what SoC they have in their DSOs:
 < 15000 is S3C2440 (old SoC and now EOL)
 > 15000 is S3C2416 (new SoC).

My question is does anyone have experience  with Tinhead's improved firmware on a "P" series device with hardware version (1000xffff8103)?

so i assume you have 8103? In principle exact that version should have FFT and 40k memory maximum.
There are other ppl having same model, e.g. page 160, and no problems with FFT, as long of course memory
depth not set to higher than 20k and trigger not in Alter mode.

What when you do default setup, then go to math and scroll trough MATH options with arrows ?
(use F1 and/or F2 buttons to scroll, one can see only CH1+CH2, CH1-CH2, CH2-CH1, CH1xCH2, CH1/CH2,
the CH2/CH1 and FFT are not directly visible ...)

Offline Dave_S

« Reply #2418 on: July 23, 2014, 06:22:53 pm »
so i assume you have 8103? In principle exact that version should have FFT and 40k memory maximum.
There are other ppl having same model, e.g. page 160, and no problems with FFT, as long of course memory
depth not set to higher than 20k and trigger not in Alter mode.

What when you do default setup, then go to math and scroll trough MATH options with arrows ?
(use F1 and/or F2 buttons to scroll, one can see only CH1+CH2, CH1-CH2, CH2-CH1, CH1xCH2, CH1/CH2,
the CH2/CH1 and FFT are not directly visible ...)

Yes I have hardware version 1000xffff8103.
 :palm:
I did not notice the scroll arrows to the right of the math menu.  |O   Of course I have FFT available and my trace memory goes up to 40K, and my sweep speed down to 2ns per division.  Everything just as it should be. :-+
I also just discovered today that I have spent several days debugging a typo that caused an SPI bus problem on a small system that I am building.  At 70+ years the old brain just is not what it used to be.

Thank you very much for your help and I will add a beer to your Paypal donation account, right now :-+

I will save a copy of your above post and see about possibly still trying your improved firmware, but first, now that FFT works, I am going to start researching inexpensive USB logic analyzers here on EEVblog.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2419 on: July 24, 2014, 10:36:47 am »
I did not notice the scroll arrows to the right of the math menu.  Of course I have FFT available and my trace memory goes up to 40K, and my sweep speed down to 2ns per division.  Everything just as it should be.
At 70+ years the old brain just is not what it used to be.

:)

Thank you very much for your help and I will add a beer to your Paypal donation account, right now :-+

got it, thanks for support!

Offline philipp

« Reply #2420 on: July 26, 2014, 02:21:58 pm »
Hi!

I recently bought a Hantek DSO1062B. System information says sw version 2.01.1(140519.0), serial number DS0050xxxx, "upgrade log 0".

I upgraded the scope to the latest file on the hantek site (not onedrive) and it updated successfully, but after a reboot the screen was black. I connected to the UART and manually copied the correct dso.exe and afterwards, it worked again. After that, I tried the latest update from the hantek onedrive. This is my current situation.

Charging problems: It seems the battery does not charge anymore. Or more accurately: the software seems to think so. Symptoms: The battery symbol is always red, except when I plug in the power - then it switches to the "charging" animations for a few seconds (and then back to a red battery symbol). Also, when I remove the power, the device starts beeping like it had a low battery. This beeping stops when I plug the power back in. The scope still works when unplugged, it is only very annoying.
This was not the case before the update. Is there a way to fix this?

Fan: Before the update, the fan ran very rarely (maybe after 30mins on time). Now, it is always on. Is there a way to revert this?

Delay: When I measure the same signal on CH1 and CH2, there is a delay of 32ns (CH2 after CH1). Is this normal?

LAN: I would like to upgrade my handheld to LAN. I tried to understand as much as possible from this thread and mikrocontroller.net, but I am not sure. Is it enough to just solder in the DM9000 + magnetics + ethernet port + 25MHz crystal?

Offline Antiath

« Reply #2421 on: July 27, 2014, 01:45:26 am »
Before trying the BW hack, I tried to backup my DSO5102B ( bought some 3 weeks ago)  using  dso usb tool  and nanddump.  I entered those commands :

nanddump -o -b -f /mnt/udisk/dump/boot.bin /dev/mtd0
nanddump -o -b -f /mnt/udisk/dump/logo.bin /dev/mtd1
nanddump -o -b -f /mnt/udisk/dump/kernel.bin /dev/mtd2
nanddump -o -b -f /mnt/udisk/dump/root.bin /dev/mtd3

The first 3 worked somehow but nanddump remained blocked at root.bin. It was continuously writing in the USB device so I unplugged it without waiting the end ( after something like 45 min)  and root.bin was over 1.9 Go. This seems to be a known bug but I don't know if it is related to some models  or completely random.  Anyway, here are  the system info :

model : Hantek DSO5102B
sw version : 3.30.0 (140610.0)
hw version : 1010x5555830f
serial number : T 1G/012 016***

The DSO was updated once with the latest firmware from Hantek before attempting the backup.
I didn't find any solution to the issue in this ( quite long) thread so if there is  another way to make a full backup, I'm opened to suggestions.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 11:04:01 am by Antiath »

Offline Lesheg

« Reply #2422 on: July 28, 2014, 02:12:32 pm »
Antiath
What was the date of the native firmware?
You updated the firmware from here? https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=6C60A056648D9011&id=6C60A056648D9011!305

Offline fremen67

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2423 on: July 28, 2014, 07:19:32 pm »
Before trying the BW hack, I tried to backup my DSO5102B ( bought some 3 weeks ago)  using  dso usb tool  and nanddump.  I entered those commands :

nanddump -o -b -f /mnt/udisk/dump/boot.bin /dev/mtd0
nanddump -o -b -f /mnt/udisk/dump/logo.bin /dev/mtd1
nanddump -o -b -f /mnt/udisk/dump/kernel.bin /dev/mtd2
nanddump -o -b -f /mnt/udisk/dump/root.bin /dev/mtd3

The first 3 worked somehow but nanddump remained blocked at root.bin. It was continuously writing in the USB device so I unplugged it without waiting the end ( after something like 45 min)  and root.bin was over 1.9 Go. This seems to be a known bug but I don't know if it is related to some models  or completely random.  Anyway, here are  the system info :

model : Hantek DSO5102B
sw version : 3.30.0 (140610.0)
hw version : 1010x5555830f
serial number : T 1G/012 016***

The DSO was updated once with the latest firmware from Hantek before attempting the backup.
I didn't find any solution to the issue in this ( quite long) thread so if there is  another way to make a full backup, I'm opened to suggestions.
Have a look there :https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hantek-hdg2002b-awg-5mhz-or-100mhz-let's-see!/msg476550/#msg476550
you should be able to run the three commands needed via the DSO-USB-Tool.
It just uses another version of nanddump that should work. The 4 files will be zipped in the dump.tar.gz file and you should be able to extract them on a PC with 7zip for example or on a  linux machine with the tar command.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 07:22:14 pm by fremen67 »
I'm a machine! And I can know much more! I can experience so much more. But I'm trapped in this absurd body!

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2424 on: July 29, 2014, 09:23:12 pm »
I upgraded the scope to the latest file on the hantek site (not onedrive) and it updated successfully, but after a reboot the screen was black.

isn't that shit?! I think it is, but they somehow stupid sometimes.

I connected to the UART and manually copied the correct dso.exe and afterwards, it worked again. After that, I tried the latest update from the hantek onedrive. This is my current situation.

happy you

Charging problems: It seems the battery does not charge anymore. Or more accurately: the software seems to think so. Symptoms: The battery symbol is always red, except when I plug in the power - then it switches to the "charging" animations for a few seconds (and then back to a red battery symbol). Also, when I remove the power, the device starts beeping like it had a low battery. This beeping stops when I plug the power back in. The scope still works when unplugged, it is only very annoying.
This was not the case before the update. Is there a way to fix this?

no idea, i don't have handheld so can't help on that (i do have dev board on which i'm doing things on fw, but power
control is using afaik separate IC and device driver - and that is what my dev board don't have, so can't check).

Fan: Before the update, the fan ran very rarely (maybe after 30mins on time). Now, it is always on. Is there a way to revert this?

as i remember there was menu to setup the fan

Delay: When I measure the same signal on CH1 and CH2, there is a delay of 32ns (CH2 after CH1). Is this normal?

that way too much! you have to run selfcalibration after the fw update.

LAN: I would like to upgrade my handheld to LAN. I tried to understand as much as possible from this thread and mikrocontroller.net, but I am not sure. Is it enough to just solder in the DM9000 + magnetics + ethernet port + 25MHz crystal?

right, you need these few parts, the EEPROM licensing tool (see first page of this thread) to enable "lan license" and i think that's all. On benchtop models one need to change rcS, on handhelds the rcS is already LAN-enabled.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 09:25:23 pm by tinhead »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf