Author Topic: Hantek - Tekway - DSO hack - get 200MHz bw for free  (Read 2204191 times)

Offline clanto

Re: Hantek - Tekway - DSO hack - get 200MHz bw for free
« Reply #2425 on: July 30, 2014, 09:51:16 am »
Hello All,

I joined the club.
The Hantek DSO5072P has been arrived.
I could set the time base to 2ns/div without any hacking, but I made the hack.
At the first seem nothing changed but I checked the sys.inf file and the [DST type]dst1202b so I think it's fine.

Offline tinheadTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • If you like my hacks, send me a donation
« Reply #2426 on: July 30, 2014, 10:08:40 am »
I could set the time base to 2ns/div without any hacking, but I made the hack.
right, i posted here that all latest (from 2014) firmares does enable 2ns by default.
The bandwidth stays however unchanged, which means that the hack is still necessary to get the bandwidth updated.

At the first seem nothing changed but I checked the sys.inf file and the [DST type]dst1202b so I think it's fine.
that's ok, all what one can see after hack is if the filename has been really changed from /dst1062b or /dst1102b to /dst1202b.
Well, and of course faster risetime/beter frequency response when measured.
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Offline clanto

« Reply #2427 on: July 30, 2014, 11:02:16 am »
that's ok, all what one can see after hack is if the filename has been really changed from /dst1062b or /dst1102b to /dst1202b.
Well, and of course faster risetime/beter frequency response when measured.

Thanks, I see! Yes the filename is changed to /dst1202b.

I tried to switch dual-window mode after capturing a signal but the signal disappeared...if I use the dual-window mode from the beginning it's working. Is it a bug or I make something wrong? The Tektronix scope what I use in my workplace know this (Wave inspector function) but OK I know not the same price category...
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 02:43:47 pm by clanto »

Offline rosasharn

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2428 on: August 01, 2014, 08:08:09 am »
Hello clanto!
What kind of signal you captured?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2429 on: August 01, 2014, 08:47:00 am »
I tried to switch dual-window mode after capturing a signal but the signal disappeared...if I use the dual-window mode from the beginning it's working. Is it a bug or I make something wrong?

first of all, i do NOT have "P" model hardware, so sometimes things i test might NOT be valid on real hardware.

I tested "P" model firmwares and since begining (22 Feb 2013) there is exact the same bug, in every firmware:

Everytime when acq stopped and screen switched  between single and dual window (and vice versa) the already
captured waveform disappears from screen.

Can someone validate this on actual "P" model? If so, you guys should send Hantek an email,
you have "P" model so you can check if new fw will work better.
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Offline pcmihnea

• Contributor
« Reply #2430 on: August 01, 2014, 10:13:37 am »
Can someone validate this on actual "P" model? If so, you guys should send Hantek an email,
you have "P" model so you can check if new fw will work better.

I can confirm that this bug is present on my DSO5102P with sw. version 3.40.0 (140111.0).
     I also have an RTC issue, where the clock (and date) hangs after a power-off, and is the same when I power it on (it doesn't reset to 2009, it is exactly the same time and date as just before I powered down), and continues to "tic" (i.e. it keeps going second-to-second) after the unit is turned on. I don't believe to be a problem with the backup battery, as it would have reset to 2009. Can anyone confirm my bug?
     TinHead: I've tried your DSO Tool (the one that generates HDVersion.set file), and before  my original i2c.log stated that [buf]2. When I used your tool, I've set it to 40Kpps, but after reboots, I've checked the new i2c.log, it stated [buf]1. So I've set in your software the next buffer value of 1M, and only then my new i2c.log is [buf]2. Both of the times the only permitted values in the Acquire menu were 4k, 20k and 40k. So is it a programming error on my EEPROM, or what? I've used your tool to enable the Video option, but although it shows the file manager menu and recognizes the video files on my USB stick, it hangs when I try to play them (.avi and mpeg4, low bitrate and a few seconds long), so it obvious that my unit lacks the required libraries and/or codecs.
     Finally, is there a substitute (i.e. drop-in replacement) for the DM9000AEP chip? I can't seem to find it anywhere near (in online store from my country). The other components (RJ45 socket, magnetics, and 25MHz osscilator are not that critical) Thanks!

Offline clanto

« Reply #2431 on: August 01, 2014, 11:18:41 am »
If so, you guys should send Hantek an email, you have "P" model so you can check if new fw will work better.
I have the latest fw. from the Hantek website so I sent a mail to the support team I hope they will correct it...
And I found one more bug, in the dual-window mode the tracking cursor not working (the voltage don't change).

Finally, is there a substitute (i.e. drop-in replacement) for the DM9000AEP chip? I can't seem to find it anywhere near (in online store from my country). The other components (RJ45 socket, magnetics, and 25MHz osscilator are not that critical) Thanks!
I can't find it too but if I read well the "B" model is compatible with the "A" (not necessary other driver) so I think you can use the newer one but I can't guarantee.. and the "B" is available from the farnell:
http://uk.farnell.com/davicom/dm9000bep/ic-enet-cntrl-10-100m-phy-48lqfp/dp/2115481
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 02:12:52 pm by clanto »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2432 on: August 01, 2014, 02:16:37 pm »
for DM9000AEP use ebay, e.g. item 171272339299 or 301232128882.

Offline clanto

« Reply #2433 on: August 01, 2014, 02:28:00 pm »
for DM9000AEP use ebay, e.g. item 171272339299 or 301232128882.

Yes you're right and it's cheaper.
Is it worth to make the LAN access? Does it give extra function?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2434 on: August 03, 2014, 08:02:31 am »
Is it worth to make the LAN access? Does it give extra function?

oh well, for me it was. On "B" models with latest firmware it seems to be working complettly, meaning one can use
the PC firmware (and that tools from Peter Dreisiebner as well) to control DSOs, get data, etc.

Same for handhelds, since beginning. On all others, meaning even "B" models with 2.x firmware, or latest "P" models
in your case one can only use remote access to the Linux itself. This is for my needs sufficient.

Offline Antiath

« Reply #2435 on: August 11, 2014, 09:35:10 pm »
Before trying the BW hack, I tried to backup my DSO5102B ( bought some 3 weeks ago)  using  dso usb tool  and nanddump.  I entered those commands :

nanddump -o -b -f /mnt/udisk/dump/boot.bin /dev/mtd0
nanddump -o -b -f /mnt/udisk/dump/logo.bin /dev/mtd1
nanddump -o -b -f /mnt/udisk/dump/kernel.bin /dev/mtd2
nanddump -o -b -f /mnt/udisk/dump/root.bin /dev/mtd3

The first 3 worked somehow but nanddump remained blocked at root.bin. It was continuously writing in the USB device so I unplugged it without waiting the end ( after something like 45 min)  and root.bin was over 1.9 Go. This seems to be a known bug but I don't know if it is related to some models  or completely random.  Anyway, here are  the system info :

model : Hantek DSO5102B
sw version : 3.30.0 (140610.0)
hw version : 1010x5555830f
serial number : T 1G/012 016***

The DSO was updated once with the latest firmware from Hantek before attempting the backup.
I didn't find any solution to the issue in this ( quite long) thread so if there is  another way to make a full backup, I'm opened to suggestions.
Have a look there :https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hantek-hdg2002b-awg-5mhz-or-100mhz-let's-see!/msg476550/#msg476550
you should be able to run the three commands needed via the DSO-USB-Tool.
It just uses another version of nanddump that should work. The 4 files will be zipped in the dump.tar.gz file and you should be able to extract them on a PC with 7zip for example or on a  linux machine with the tar command.

Ha thank you ! I could finally dump this damn root.bin
And I followed with the BW hack so tinhead, thank you too for this topic  :-+

Offline gl

• Contributor
« Reply #2436 on: August 12, 2014, 08:12:26 pm »
Hi Tinhead & everyone.  Just bought my first scope, a 5072p.  Of course the hack and all the cool tools was a a big part in my decision (that plus limited funds but needing something better than the Quad etc), so thanks for all your time and effort Tinhead.  :-+  Would've loved a Rigol 2000 series with gradient display and deep memory, but you can't have everything (yet ;)).

Hardware: 1000xffff8103
Firmware: 3.40.0 (140208.0) - as shipped

I though I'd start with a backup, but for me it also hangs forever on root.bin.  I'm using the new .up file with the explicit size dumps, but it doesn't seem to help.

I used a 2GB flash drive, it filled root.bin to capacity (30-40mins I guess), then claimed the upgrade went OK.  root.bin should be around 120MB right, not 1.81 GB :).  Anything you want me to try Tinhead?

(will try the method with Peter's tool next ...)

Offline gl

• Contributor
« Reply #2437 on: August 12, 2014, 09:09:57 pm »
... nope I can't get it to work with Peter's tool either.  I know nothing about Linux so maybe I'm missing something:

Using USB-Tool's Shell, I can't make 'cd' work, it just ignores it without message (I guess that's normal as it's not a full shell, but a one-off cmd trigger?)

So I tried launching the script with '/mnt/udisk/nandbackup'.  This prints the steps, but they all complete instantly.  The resulting dump.tar.gz file is stored in the scope root (not the USB drive, obviously) and is only 227bytes long.  All it contains are logs that complain that they couldn't find ./nanddump.

So it's all path issue.  How can I do this via USB-Tool's shell?
___________________________________________________________________________________

EDIT: OK, this works - combine both commands into a single line: cd /mnt/udisk ; ./nandbackup

There will be no feedback, the tool will just hang until the backup is complete.

These are the full steps:

- grab fremen67's backup script here.
- follow that post's instructions for extraction, or as I did (on Windows) just use Winrar/7zip etc. to extract the two files to the root of a USB flash drive, then insert into scope.
- If not already, install the DSO drivers (you may need to disable driver signing first, Google.  for some reason the installation completely locks up my PC for minutes, but does complete)
- Get & run Peter's USB Tool, go to the Log tab and tick 'Use USB', then type this in the Shell tab:

cd /mnt/udisk ; ./nandbackup

The tool will lockup until the process is complete (~15mins?) and dump.tar.gz should be on the USB drive (on my Hantek 5072P it was 15.5MB, 131MB extracted)

« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 09:32:24 pm by gl »

Offline gl

• Contributor
« Reply #2438 on: August 12, 2014, 09:34:47 pm »
One strange thing - looking at the dump logs, all except root.bin show no "bad blocks".  But root.bin lists 2.  Anything to worry about?

Code: [Select]
(root.log)
ECC failed: 0
ECC corrected: 0
Number of bad blocks: 2
Number of bbt blocks: 0
Block size 131072, page size 2048, OOB size 64
Dumping data starting at 0x00000000 and ending at 0x07900000...

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2439 on: August 13, 2014, 07:03:08 am »
bad blocks on NAND are common, so no need to care about them.

Offline gl

• Contributor
« Reply #2440 on: August 13, 2014, 01:23:33 pm »
OK thanks.

Is there a way to update the .up backup file to work on the 5000p's?  How are they created?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2441 on: August 17, 2014, 03:59:24 pm »
OK thanks.

Is there a way to update the .up backup file to work on the 5000p's?  How are they created?

i did updated the tool, try this one and tell me if the backup works for you

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hantek-tekway-dso-hack-get-200mhz-bw-for-free/?action=dlattach;attach=105820

Note: it should create dump dir and 4 other files on flash drive, i'm not big fan of tar/gzip from/to flash drive.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 04:01:03 pm by tinhead »

Offline gl

• Contributor
« Reply #2442 on: August 17, 2014, 04:20:12 pm »
Works great, only took a few mins too:  :-+

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2443 on: August 17, 2014, 05:57:34 pm »
ok perfect.

Btw, there are new firmware for benchtop "P", "B", "BM" (work for BMV as well) models (only for the new models models with already installed fw 3.xx !) and for handhelds "B" and "S" models on Hantek website available.

No idea (yet) what in which fw has been fixed or added, but i can see already (testing now "B/BM/BMV" models) that digital filter and equ sampling are back! (finally after 2yrs of "hope"). It looks like FFT don't like when equ sampling enabled (DSO rebooting), but that's easy to fix then. It seems to be bit tricky to enable it (the logic not yet smooth working when have to be enabled when one push enable and when it should display - no equ mode available).
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 06:02:12 pm by tinhead »

Offline gl

• Contributor
« Reply #2444 on: August 17, 2014, 06:21:21 pm »
Do you mean 3.40.0(140208.0)?  If so that was already installed on my just-purchased 5072P.  I do have the Equ-Time sampling option.  FFT doesn't crash for me with it enabled (hacked 5072P scope with 5202P firmware).

re. 'digital filter', do you mean the optional 20Mhz bandwidth limit?  If so I have that too.

After hacking the scope to 200Mhz, I flashed the 5202P firmware - even though it was the same version, it seemed to flash OK.  But the bootup screen still shows the old model - is there a way to change that?

Since flashing 5202P, I have an extra yellow bar below the waveform when using Autoset (with Pk-Pk, Mean, Freq and Period readouts).  I don't remember seeing that on the 5072P firmware.

I also sometimes get a massive yellow box with tons of readouts that take up most of the screen.  I haven't figured out yet what triggers that, or how to toggle it ...
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 06:29:07 pm by gl »

Offline clanto

« Reply #2445 on: August 17, 2014, 06:44:31 pm »

After hacking the scope to 200Mhz, I flashed the 5202P firmware - even though it was the same version, it seemed to flash OK.  But the bootup screen still shows the old model - is there a way to change that?

I have the same type of DSO and it's possible to change the bootup logo just need to recompile the whole display driver....not so easy than the other models so I left it.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2446 on: August 17, 2014, 06:55:35 pm »
Do you mean 3.40.0(140208.0)? 

no, 3.40.0(140806.0)

If so that was already installed on my just-purchased 5072P.  I do have the Equ-Time sampling option.  FFT doesn't crash for me with it enabled (hacked 5072P scope with 5202P firmware).

re. 'digital filter', do you mean the optional 20Mhz bandwidth limit?

no, when you go to utility, page 3/3, filter. But i can see already that there is no apply on that "P" model firmware, so it is not working (even if one can "set" everything). The equ sampling seems to be not working as well (yes, you can see it, but sample rate is still max 1GS/s and not e.g. 20GS/s). So no idea what really new/fixed for "P" models.

I have an extra yellow bar below the waveform when using Autoset (with Pk-Pk, Mean, Freq and Period readouts). 

this is when you run autoset, that was always there.

I also sometimes get a massive yellow box with tons of readouts that take up most of the screen.  I haven't figured out yet what triggers that, or how to toggle it ...

right, this is new feature. To enable go to measure menu first and push the F0 (in principle to hide menu bar on which all measures are displayd .. so the firmware is then displaying the massive box then).

Offline gl

• Contributor
« Reply #2447 on: August 17, 2014, 08:36:19 pm »
Ah, I was looking at Hantek's SkyDrive which hasn't been updated yet.  I just tried the new 5202P.

First, System Info still lists the 5072p model - is that normal?  Is there any point in flashing the higher model after the BW hack?

It also reset my upgrade count (was 1, now 0 again) - strange?

I have the filter options (already had them in 140208) but I don't have a > 5khz signal to test on right now (lowest freq option).  As you said, there's no 'Apply' option.

Not sure on equiv (nothing to test, 1kHz doesn't seem to change).  Maybe it works internally but just doesn't list the equiv. sample rate?

re. the yellow readouts, the way they appear/disappear is really unintuitive.  For example, you'd expect F0 on Measure to remove the readouts, not add even more.  You have to enter another menu first, then exit that to get your full screen back (same with the Autoset yellow bar).

BTW Tinhead, is there a way to customize the wave colours?  Or UI colours (ie. changing the existing colour choices)?

Offline gl

• Contributor
« Reply #2448 on: August 17, 2014, 08:51:43 pm »
First, System Info still lists the 5072p model - is that normal?

I originally used DSO BW Changer to hack the BW.  I just examined the files you're supposed to modify, and found that display.dis was still using the old model no.  After changing to Sys Info now shows it, but the boot screen still lists the old model.  Is there a way to modify that?  I read in the thread that the logo is compiled into the display driver on this model, is that right?  (if so, probably not worth messing with).  Custom boot screen would be fun (but not essential).

Offline rosasharn

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2449 on: August 18, 2014, 06:06:17 am »
Is it possible to control the DSO5072 with a PC with a WIFI (or other communication option) wireless and remotely so that I can restart the single shot trigger and transfer the data to the PC?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 06:11:34 am by rosasharn »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf