Author Topic: Hantek - Tekway - DSO hack - get 200MHz bw for free  (Read 2189801 times)

Offline rosasharn

• Regular Contributor
Re: Hantek - Tekway - DSO hack - get 200MHz bw for free
« Reply #2450 on: August 18, 2014, 06:06:17 am »
Is it possible to control the DSO5072 with a PC with a WIFI (or other communication option) wireless and remotely so that I can restart the single shot trigger and transfer the data to the PC?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 06:11:34 am by rosasharn »

Offline ebrummer

« Reply #2451 on: August 18, 2014, 09:54:30 pm »
On all others, meaning even "B" models with 2.x firmware, or latest "P" models
in your case one can only use remote access to the Linux itself. This is for my needs sufficient. -tinhead

Being new to the game (I just purchased a Hantek DSO5072P) what does remote access via Linux allow?  Obviously, I can modify files on the device such as renaming in order to hack the bandwidth or potentially run Tinhead's firmware version.

Can I pull in measurement data to the computer in some way via usb or lan (lan requiring hardware hack?)

Offline gl

• Contributor
« Reply #2452 on: August 18, 2014, 11:16:55 pm »
On Windows at least the Hantek installer CD installs 'DigitalScope'.  That can control the scope via USB & LAN and extract wave data.

There's also Peter's DSO USB Tool that can extra data & issue Linux commands via USB & LAN.

There might be others, only just got the scope myself.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 11:20:05 pm by gl »

Offline aerra

• Contributor
« Reply #2453 on: August 23, 2014, 08:12:29 pm »
Quote from: tinhead
Knowing now that the latest "S" models (hw1.00.4) are S3C2416 SoC and Cyclone IV based no wonder that there was issues with latest firmware updates on older "S" models (hw 1.00.1 and hw 1.00.2).
And would it be any real benefits from this except lower energy consumption?

Offline aerra

• Contributor
« Reply #2454 on: August 23, 2014, 08:18:41 pm »
i think lot of people are curious how they made the channel isolation.
Judging by the photos is it good made? The black boxes with erased part numbers seem to be transformers.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 08:24:13 pm by aerra »

Offline tinheadTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • If you like my hacks, send me a donation
« Reply #2455 on: August 23, 2014, 08:28:10 pm »
well, Cyclone IV is not really faster than Cyclone III (when talking about that DSO design, as it does not use any advanced features of Cyclone IV), on I/O even bit slower when interfacing 3.3V LVCMOS ADCs (so i assume they out of specs now or at 3.0V which is ok for FPGA and ADCs). It does have even less intergrated memory than Cyclone III on previous models. Power saving is just side effects, more important is that it does not run that hot with the DSO deisgn. The Cyclone III was really on limit here.
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2456 on: August 23, 2014, 08:40:58 pm »
Judging by the photos is it good made? The black boxes with erased part numbers seem to be transformers.

this are DC/DC converters, Morosun WRA0505CS-2W.

For data transfer between channels and ADC there is transformer on the other side, Sumlink ST-L6801 (the other black boxes).
And tha's to your pictures i know now the 3 SOP8 ICs near that transformers, they are TI ISO7220B (dual channel isolators).
They used to isolate the control data from DSO logic to input channels. Unknown are then only the U38 and U36. I can see
on your pictures on the U38 part of the marking, something like 8347? but that not AD8347 for sure. But an driver what so ever.
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Offline aerra

• Contributor
« Reply #2457 on: August 24, 2014, 06:09:42 am »
tinhead, do you know how the built-in DMM is calibrating in handhelds? Is there any file with calibration data, or there is no software ability to influence on dmm readings?
Have anybody tried last fw (30/07/14) for S devices? Is there any sense to upgrade?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2458 on: August 24, 2014, 09:17:57 am »
tinhead, do you know how the built-in DMM is calibrating in handhelds? Is there any file with calibration data, or there is no software ability to influence on dmm readings?

the DMM IC they using is FS9922-DMM4, afaik there is no software calibration for the DMM in the DSO firmware.
It dioes simply reads the value from the DMM IC and display it directly (after parsing them of course).

The DMM can be only calibrated (hardware wise) via 4 smd (ugly) pots:
- R45 -> AC rectification value, pin 1 (top, near pin 1)
- R34 -> REF voltage, pin 4 (top, between pin1 and two diodes)
- R27 -> capacitance measurment input RCAP1 pin19 (bottom, left from R17 and relay)
- R17 -> capacitance measurment input RCAP2 pin 20 (bottom, between relay and R27)

Hantek is using Fluke 5500A for calibration, i would say that good enought. Let's hope they spend enought time per unit.

I don't see any conformal coating on your pictures, so should be no problem to calibrate DMM (if necessary).
There is however one thing, when calibrating ensure that Handheld battery is full loaded and calibration is done
when running on battery (with external power supply disconnected). There was some drift in mV range on older models
due crap external power supplies (well, OEM parts). No idea if that changed, so better to calibrate directly on battery.

These handhelds have no True-RMS circuit (well, one can use DSO for that), so AC calibrations is anyway not that important.
The REF can be however improved, Hantek is using FS9922-DMM4 internal source, like in app note 40k2 between REFO and REFI,
and then 10k pot + 40k2 resistor in series from REFI to AGND. The internal REFO is 1.2V bandgap source, with 100ppm/°C.
One can use here external reference, e.g. REF1112 (or ICL8069A like in app note, however initial accuracy of REF1112 is much better)
and trim it with some better pots (not that crap smd thing in series). But finally one will not get much better results, but more stable yes.

Offline The Doc

• Contributor
« Reply #2459 on: August 27, 2014, 02:46:25 am »
I'd just like to thank tinhead for his hard work and dedication to hacking this 'scope... Cheers!

My DSO5072P arrived today and I finally plucked up the courage to hack it. I tried it first with the DSO-USB tool but it locked up and the 'scope froze. I thought I'd killed it, but it rebooted and I decided not to risk it that way again.
I didn't have a USB-Serial adapter but I did find a Serial over Bluetooth adapter, so I wired it in and connected using Putty, then changed the file name and the name of the scope in logotype.dis, and I'm up and running.
I'll probably leave the Bluetooth module in for now. It might come in handy one day, and it saves taking it apart again.

Now I just need to figure out (I need someone else to figure out) how to change the boot logo...   ;D
Too old to die young

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2460 on: August 27, 2014, 11:13:48 am »
Doc,

as you have access over uart to your "P" model, can you made backup of your root_fs, upload it somewhere and PM me a link?
For now would be good to get only backup (copy) of some dirs, e.g. /dso, /lib, /etc, /sbin, /usr and /

Offline Hjalmas

« Reply #2461 on: August 27, 2014, 10:06:32 pm »
Hello people!
As stupid as can be i think i accidently removed the dso.exe while playing around in the shell for the very first time (i am indeed a total noob)
when i try to start my Hantek DSO5102B it just freezes on the boot screen :S

[DST type]dst1102b
[soft version]3.30.0(140315.0)
[fpga version]0x55778344

Maybe someone out tthere has got the correct dso.exe? and maybe willing to share?
please help!!
//Albin

« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 10:39:54 am by Hjalmas »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2462 on: August 28, 2014, 02:50:02 pm »
i accidently removed the dso.exe while playing around in the shell for the very first time (i am indeed a total noob)
when i try to start my Hantek DSO5102B it just freezes on the boot screen :S

not a big problem, simply copy new one and change permission to +x

Maybe someone out tthere has got the correct dso.exe? and maybe willing to share?

go to my OneDrive, to "DSO hacks -> firmware -> hw1.01 -> Voltcraft-DSO". You have Hantek DSO5000B,
but as there is no 140315.0 fw for Hantek (but for Voltcraft, which is the same fw) take the one for Voltcraft, e.g.

dso5kb_func_dso1202d_3.30.0_20140315.up

download gpg (for your OS) and decrypt that dso5kb_func_dso1202d_3.30.0_20140315.up file,
as password for gpg use dso5000b. Then take winrar or what so ever and gunzip the file, then untar
the resulting file and untar it again. Now you will see directory with files. Copy the dso.exe to flash drive,
take it to DSO, insert and copy from flash to DSO root, e.g.

cp /mnt/udisk/dso.exe /
sync

then give executin rights

chmod +x /dso.exe

and test is by executing /dso.exe

When it runs you can take latest firmware and update your DSO

Offline Hjalmas

« Reply #2463 on: August 28, 2014, 09:59:26 pm »
oh yes! it works :)

Thank you so much tinhead, YOUR AWSOME! O0

Offline j.sjolund

« Reply #2464 on: September 01, 2014, 04:18:02 pm »
Hi!

I decided to join the club, got myself a Hantek DSO5102P, and then decided to hack it to 200MHz.

At first I tried using the DSO-USB tool, but found it to be a bit unstable on my Linux machine, with connection issues and freezes. Not to mention a lot of it was in German which made it cumbersome to use (since I do not speak it). Instead I took the back cover off and hooked up my Bus Pirate probes to the serial port holes (no soldering required). Using the BP:s "transparent UART bridge" macro with 115200 bps, I got a terminal and changed /dst1102b to /dst1202b. The scope seems to work fine.

I assume I will also have to remove the capacitors that PL00 talked about in his post?

Anyway, since I could not find a picture of the location and pinout of the serial port on this exact scope I decided to make one. Perhaps it might help someone. Probably most people here can figure it out by themselves though...

Also, thank you tinhead for all your work! Did "The Doc" send you those backup files? If not, I can do it if needed.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2465 on: September 01, 2014, 05:49:01 pm »
Using the BP:s "transparent UART bridge" macro with 115200 bps, I got a terminal and changed /dst1102b to /dst1202b.
right, that work as well. The best hack ever was i think an atmega something sending only rm /param/save/r* to reset DSO with broken UI setup. But it worked, so what :)

I assume I will also have to remove the capacitors that PL00 talked about
yes, on top and bottom side.

Also, thank you tinhead for all your work! Did "The Doc" send you those backup files? If not, I can do it if needed.

no, he probably missed my post. So yes, if you can made that backup for me.

Offline j.sjolund

« Reply #2466 on: September 02, 2014, 02:10:42 pm »
Alright, I sent a link in a PM.

Offline noss

« Reply #2467 on: September 02, 2014, 04:35:12 pm »
Hello!I broke my Hantek DSO5102P :-BROKE
replaced file Russian.lan from  DSO5062BM  |O |O |O
now display
 the firmware the flush not accept.
Help me please.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2468 on: September 02, 2014, 04:42:22 pm »
Alright, I sent a link in a PM.

got them, thanks for support!

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2469 on: September 02, 2014, 04:58:08 pm »
Hello!I broke my Hantek DSO5102P replaced file Russian.lan from  DSO5062BM  |O |O |O

so you love to play, do you?

what on your display is the latest version of "watchdog" on these DSOs, very powerful one. No more need for fight what so ever, simply insert flash drive with proper update files (system.up, hantek.up, emerg.do, etc). Unfortunately there is no documentation about and i have not (yet) reversed what/when happens.

In principle one have to download proper firmware (so for your model), decrypt it with proper password (in your case dso5000p) and encrypt it again with dsoduse (when trying system.up or hantek.up as recovery file name on flash) or 949307 (when using emerg.do as recovery file name on flash drive). And then of course rename that new encrypted firmwre file to one of these names above, copy to flash drive and then watch your DSO restroing itself.

I quickly checked once, that worked, but no warranty what so ever that it will work, that pass names or the way is proper.
But you like playing, so you can test this for us now.

Offline noss

« Reply #2470 on: September 02, 2014, 05:05:27 pm »
Good!Say what I need to do I'll do.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2471 on: September 02, 2014, 08:35:11 pm »
Good!Say what I need to do I'll do.

ehm, i just said what to do

what on your display is the latest version of "watchdog" on these DSOs, very powerful one. No more need for fight what so ever, simply insert flash drive with proper update files (system.up, hantek.up, emerg.do, etc). Unfortunately there is no documentation about and i have not (yet) reversed what/when happens.

In principle one have to download proper firmware (so for your model), decrypt it with proper password (in your case dso5000p) and encrypt it again with dsoduse (when trying system.up or hantek.up as recovery file name on flash) or 949307 (when using emerg.do as recovery file name on flash drive). And then of course rename that new encrypted firmwre file to one of these names above, copy to flash drive and then watch your DSO restroing itself.

you can of course as well connect via uart and delete /OurLanguages/russian.lan and /param/sav/r*

Offline derf123

« Reply #2472 on: September 03, 2014, 11:26:45 am »
Hello all, new to forum. I  have a Hantek DSO5072P and have done the 200mhz hack, and removed the two 47pf caps that PL00 identified. However, I am unable to find those caps on the bottom side of the board that tinhead said should also be removed. Can anyone identify where these capacitors are located?

Offline kallsop

« Reply #2473 on: September 03, 2014, 11:49:11 am »

DSO5062B patched to DSO5202B, hw1007.

Downloaded the newest firmware from Hantek, dso5kb_func_dso5202b20140805.up dated 8/8/14. Put the .up file on the root of a 2GB USB stick formatted FAT32. The DSO upgrade doesn't progress at all, fails with code 0xff.

Is the Hantek firmware on their web site compatible with hardware 1007? If not, what is the latest and where do I get it? Why else would the upgrade fail?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2474 on: September 03, 2014, 02:22:48 pm »

DSO5062B patched to DSO5202B, hw1007.

Downloaded the newest firmware from Hantek, dso5kb_func_dso5202b20140805.up dated 8/8/14. Put the .up file on the root of a 2GB USB stick formatted FAT32. The DSO upgrade doesn't progress at all, fails with code 0xff.

Is the Hantek firmware on their web site compatible with hardware 1007? If not, what is the latest and where do I get it? Why else would the upgrade fail?

no it's not, the last available firmware for hw1007 and DSO5000B is the one i patched, DSO-B-custom_2.06.3_130814.1.zip on my OneDrive (in fw, hw1007, custom).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf