Author Topic: Hantek - Tekway - DSO hack - get 200MHz bw for free  (Read 2198969 times)

hranatybraska and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline tinheadTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • If you like my hacks, send me a donation
Re: Hantek - Tekway - DSO hack - get 200MHz bw for free
« Reply #2500 on: October 05, 2014, 11:24:18 am »
Thank you for reply. Do they both run the same Linux kernel? (3.2) On the website it is stated that the B model runs 2.6.

the website has been not updated :\

I just looked at the power supply in the pictures. What voltages does it provide? I wonde if I could make the scope portable with some internal Li-Ion batteries.

afaik the power supply is the same as in hw1007, so please check my schematic of hw1007 on my 1drv
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Offline jeff_jordan

« Reply #2501 on: October 05, 2014, 05:10:32 pm »
First: a big thank you @ tinhead for sharhing his knowledge about the DSO's here at this thread !
It' follows the old ham*) spirit thats going to disappear more and more...
 :-+

Until now, I tried to read as much postings as I can from this giant thread, because my old Tektronix 453 simply is worn out and I just ordered an DSO5072P as replacement; and of course, I'm looking forward to modify it using the described bandwidth modifications.

As far as I've encountered, I've to remove the two 47pF capacitors that limits the bandwidth (as described by pl00) and "simply" apply the hack by renaming the folder /dst1062b to /dst1202b... or just use the tool provided by McCurrent.

I've also read that uh9Lab flashed the 5102P firmware to his DSO5072P. So my question is: when I try to flash the actual DSO5102P or DSO5202P (download now fixed @ hantek's website), do I still have to do the bw-hack (renaming the folder ?) or does the scope simply thinks that it's an real DSO5202P with full bandwidth ?
And: will the DSO5202P firmware provide more features than the model 5072P one ? At least I expect another boot logo, but will there be more ?

thanks 4 reading !
jeff_jordan

*) here I don't mean the "ham" that you can eat !

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2502 on: October 05, 2014, 05:22:16 pm »
do I still have to do the bw-hack (renaming the folder ?)
no

or does the scope simply thinks that it's an real DSO5202P with full bandwidth ?
yes

And: will the DSO5202P firmware provide more features than the model 5072P one ?

afaik no (because Hantek enabled 2ns/DI for all models)

At least I expect another boot logo, but will there be more ?
no, bootlogo is different thing:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hantek-tekway-dso-hack-get-200mhz-bw-for-free/msg510337/#msg510337
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hantek-tekway-dso-hack-get-200mhz-bw-for-free/msg511719/#msg511719

I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Offline jeff_jordan

« Reply #2503 on: October 05, 2014, 10:14:44 pm »
no, bootlogo is different thing:

sorry, I tried to understand how this works, but I'm stuck, because I'm not familiar with all those "JTAG" and u-boot -stuff.

As far as I think I understood:

1. one can make a backup with your dso5kp_backuptool.up on a fat32 formatted usb-stick.

2. then you'll get a kernel.bin (from nanddump -o -b -l 0x400000 -f /mnt/udisk/dump/kernel.bin /dev/mtd2) inside the /dump directory which contains the complete nand content for that partition.

3. then, with zela2's little program, the logo.ppm could be extracted and after editing with an available graphic program it'll be reassembled back into the kernel.bin using it with the -w command (dso-logo -w mtd2). While I assume, that the size of the mtd2-partition file (kernel.bin ?) will be identic to it's genuine size.

4. so now I'm faced with the problem to get back the mtd2 partition (e.g. the kernel.bin) into the nand.

... now I'm stuck because that JTAG thing comes into play.
I assume JTAG is a method and/or a tool & interface for in circuit programming provided with the development-kit for the ARM processor architecture ?

Isn't it possible to restore this partition directly from the usb-stick (with nand erase and nand write, similar to the nanddump procedure ?) ? There's always the JTAG method mentioned.

sorry for these dull questions, but I'm neither familiar with the ARM processor stuff nor with linux...

----- update -----

Another additional question: when the two 47pF capacitors near the AD-circuits are removed to get the full bandwidth, will this be visible by an increased noise during measuring, or loss of accuracy ?

jeff

« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 02:35:41 pm by jeff_jordan »

Offline RavenSpy

• Contributor
« Reply #2504 on: October 10, 2014, 10:37:52 am »
Hello, i install all the things for LAN comunication, but scope don't work. Someone have any idea?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2505 on: October 10, 2014, 11:05:08 am »
Hello, i install all the things for LAN comunication, but scope don't work. Someone have any idea?

even two :)

add two 22pf caps t the crystal (i assume you soldered 25MHz crystal?) and remove that 0R resistor.

With this resistor one don't need crystal, in the theory, when FPGA is producing clock (which must not be the case in the current hardware / firmware). Easier, and always working, is when one use crystal, but then that resistor need to be removed and of course two caps need to be added to crystal as well.

Offline RavenSpy

• Contributor
« Reply #2506 on: October 10, 2014, 11:09:48 am »

even two :)

add two 22pf caps t the crystal (i assume you soldered 25MHz crystal?) and remove that 0R resistor.

With this resistor one don't need crystal, in the theory, when FPGA is producing clock (which must not be the case in the current hardware / firmware). Easier, and always working, is when one use crystal, but then that resistor need to be removed and of course two caps need to be added to crystal as well.
Ok, thx for fast reponse, i will try now!

Offline RavenSpy

• Contributor
« Reply #2507 on: October 10, 2014, 11:30:15 am »
mmm not, still doesn't work =( and microSD the same XD

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2508 on: October 10, 2014, 11:31:50 am »
mmm not, still doesn't work =( and microSD the same XD

you might as well check this

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hantek-tekway-dso-hack-get-200mhz-bw-for-free/msg467313/#msg467313

before you change anything, make a back of the /i2c.log file. Inside that file you will find options you your models, you will have to creat a new EEPROM licensing (write HDVersion.set button) , use all values from your current i2c.log but change the "lan version" from 0 to 1. For SD then "SD support" from 0 to 1.

Check the log files while booting, not that the linux is not starting any driver :) then you will wait forever for netwrok
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 11:33:40 am by tinhead »

Offline RavenSpy

• Contributor
« Reply #2509 on: October 10, 2014, 11:33:26 am »
you might as well check this

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hantek-tekway-dso-hack-get-200mhz-bw-for-free/msg467313/#msg467313

before you change anything, make a back of the /i2c.log file. Inside that file you will find options you your models, you will have to creat a new EEPROM licensing (write HDVersion.set button) , use all values from your current i2c.log but change the "lan version" from 0 to 1.

LOL, i think that's the problem XDD thx Tinhead, you are the master of universe !

Offline RavenSpy

• Contributor
« Reply #2510 on: October 10, 2014, 12:08:45 pm »
Do it, SD works, but LAN no
would have to be illuminated leds of ethernet?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2511 on: October 10, 2014, 12:11:23 pm »
yes, when you plug a cable.

Offline RavenSpy

• Contributor
« Reply #2512 on: October 10, 2014, 12:13:34 pm »
yes, when you plug a cable.
They dont do, then i think its something else like CHIP

Offline RavenSpy

• Contributor
« Reply #2513 on: October 10, 2014, 01:38:31 pm »
Nothing to do, i chek again the components and all has good soldering. I think its a defective chip or i burned them

Offline richardbb

« Reply #2514 on: October 10, 2014, 04:14:58 pm »
Nothing to do, i chek again the components and all has good soldering. I think its a defective chip or i burned them

on my 5072p I need to unload/reload the LAN driver for it to work:

Code: [Select]
dm9000 Ethernet Driver, V1.31
dm9000 dm9000: read wrong id 0xffffffff
dm9000 dm9000: wrong id: 0xffffffff
dm9000 dm9000: not found (-19).

root@hantek:~# rmmod dm9000
root@hantek:~# modprobe dm9000

dm9000 dm9000: eth%d: Invalid ethernet MAC address. Please set using ifconfig
eth0: dm9000a at c49e4300,c49e6308 IRQ 48 MAC: c6:fe:7c:c9:e1:c4 (random)

Offline RavenSpy

• Contributor
« Reply #2515 on: October 10, 2014, 05:19:45 pm »

on my 5072p I need to unload/reload the LAN driver for it to work:

dm9000 dm9000: read wrong id 0xffffffff
dm9000 dm9000: wrong id: 0xffffffff
dm9000 dm9000: not found (-19).

root@hantek:~# rmmod dm9000
root@hantek:~# modprobe dm9000

eth0: dm9000a at c49e4300,c49e6308 IRQ 48 MAC: c6:fe:7c:c9:e1:c4 (random)

Thx i will try it
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 03:27:38 pm by RavenSpy »

Offline btesser

« Reply #2516 on: October 12, 2014, 11:04:29 am »
I recently got a dso5072P which I ordered off ebay.  Attempted to do the hack and I soldered 4 posts to the uart port (the one right next to the usb port).  The posts were a tiny bit large so I had to force them in a bit (they are about arduino sized pins).  When I tried to power the dso back on, however, I got absolutely nothing showing up on the display or uart.  I disconnected everything, desoldered the pins, pulled the posts out.pulled out a multimeter.  When I checked ground/power on the uart pins, my multimeter showed a very lower resistance I believe 64ohms(my reading of the multimeter may be wrong.  With multimeter set to resistance 200 it showed 64 on the sy creen).  I made sure I really cleaned the board of solder well where I had added the pins using a solder sucker and solder wick.  No matter what I do I'm getting the same reading on my multimeter.  Is it possible I bricked one of the inner layers of the board by forcing the pin in?  I tried putting the positive multimeter probe on the uart positive and the negative probe on grounds in different areas of the board and got the same reading.  Uart ground to other grounds reads 0.

Does anyone have any ideas?  Right now I'm bugging out a bit because if I bricked my dso I just threw about $300 down the drain  :-( :-\  Please help

Offline RavenSpy

• Contributor
« Reply #2517 on: October 12, 2014, 10:35:47 pm »
Hello i tried your metod, richardbb, but driver isn't installed.
I atach my boot log.

Offline richardbb

« Reply #2518 on: October 13, 2014, 02:27:57 pm »
The driver doesn't seem to be getting loaded at all. Try running insmod /dso/drivers/dm9000.ko and see if anything shows up in the log

Offline RavenSpy

• Contributor
« Reply #2519 on: October 13, 2014, 07:15:10 pm »
The driver doesn't seem to be getting loaded at all. Try running insmod /dso/drivers/dm9000.ko and see if anything shows up in the log
Hello, do it, this is the output:
[root@Hantek ~]# 
[root@Hantek ~]# insmod /dso/drivers/dm9000.ko
eth0: dm9000a at c4976300,c4978308 IRQ 48 MAC: ba:97:89:4e:f1:22 (random)
[root@Hantek ~]# ifconfig -a
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr BA:97:89:4E:F1:22 
          BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
          Interrupt:48 Base address:0x6300

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback 
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

But leds still doesn't turn on... =(

Offline richardbb

« Reply #2520 on: October 14, 2014, 03:56:17 pm »
Looks good!

You need to bring up the interface (using ifconfig + IP/subnet etc.) before you see any activity LEDs. I think you have to do all this manually, as far as I know the standard Hantek software doesn't support any kind of network stuff so it's only useful for custom work

Offline oneeye

« Reply #2521 on: October 15, 2014, 09:57:01 am »
Hi guys
          I purchased a Hanek DSO5072P back in early September with the initial idea of using tinhead's excellent hack to 'upgrade' it to 200Hz, but as 'Lady Luck' was never a regular visitor, I usually get 'Sod's Law' (If anything can go wrong, it will go wrong), I decided NOT to attempt the hack. 
   It has worked fine up until yesterday (14 October), when developed a strange problem: The voltages are all reading far too high (see attached screen shot of 'Probe test').
   I have been searching the tread (nothing relevant) and reading (nothing found).
   I have done no 'Hacks' or software or firmware upgrades and the scope was working fine until Yesterday.
   The only thing I have done, is to download a 'backup' using Tinheads excellent software via the front USB, hence the 'upgrade count' of one on 'System Info' screen shot.
    The 'backup' was done when first got the scope and it has worked OK until now. As I don't know if it's a software or hardware problem, I haven't attempted to 'reinstall' the 'backup', for fear of making things worse.
   I've tried 'self calibration' and 'Default Setup', but the problem persists unchanged.
   This is getting weirder, now CH1 Freq. is acting up: It's jittering between 1KHz and 2KHz, even though the waveform from the Probe check test point is stable. Only on CH1, CH2 is stable at 1KHz, but still reads 53.6V Pk-Pk. Etc.
   Moving through the Secs/Div also gives some very odd frequency readings on CH1, CH2 is OK.
   If I turn up Volts/Div on either channel, the second step reduces Pk-Pk to 26.6V, on the third step, a relay clicks and I get 9.76V. One more step gives another relay click and Pk-Pk drops to 4.64V, a further step drops to 2.1V. Of course the waveform top disappears off the screen with the first step turn.
   Turning the Volts/Div down from normal square wave display, just drops to a 'flat line' then nothing changes with further steps downwards (no relay clicks).
   I don't want to return under warranty, as I purchased from a supplier in China, plus the Spanish Mafia (Government) hit me with 'import duty' of almost €50 (Euro's), and they would probably do it again. As a pensioner living on a basic English State Pension, expenses like those above I cant afford, plus the postage from Spain to China is also 'exorbitant'.
   So, any help would be much appreciated.

oneeye

Offline oneeye

« Reply #2522 on: October 15, 2014, 12:25:21 pm »
OK Guys, I think I've solved it.
I was reading through page 158 when a came across a reply from Rosaharn to Pezibaer about 'Probe problems', and I thought 'I haven't tried the other probe'.
I'm one happy bunny, all is now back to normal (See attached screen shot).
So it was just a 'bad' probe.
Well it may help someone with a similar problem, so I will leave the post in place.

Thanks guys and especially tinhead for a fantastic thread, if it were up to me I'd nominate him for the 'Nobel Prize'.

oneeye

Offline RavenSpy

• Contributor
« Reply #2523 on: October 15, 2014, 01:35:20 pm »
Looks good!

You need to bring up the interface (using ifconfig + IP/subnet etc.) before you see any activity LEDs. I think you have to do all this manually, as far as I know the standard Hantek software doesn't support any kind of network stuff so it's only useful for custom work
First richard thx fpe your help.
But still nothing, i do all with ifconfig, ip, subnet, mask, gateway but nothing... :(

Offline j.sjolund

« Reply #2524 on: October 15, 2014, 07:08:43 pm »
OK Guys, I think I've solved it.
I was reading through page 158 when a came across a reply from Rosaharn to Pezibaer about 'Probe problems', and I thought 'I haven't tried the other probe'.
I'm one happy bunny, all is now back to normal (See attached screen shot).
So it was just a 'bad' probe.
Well it may help someone with a similar problem, so I will leave the post in place.

Thanks guys and especially tinhead for a fantastic thread, if it were up to me I'd nominate him for the 'Nobel Prize'.

oneeye
Judging by the screenshots, it looks like you switched the probe attenuation to X1, from the default X10. Try moving the switch on the handle of the "bad" probe to X10 and it should work normally.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf