Author Topic: Hantek - Tekway - DSO hack - get 200MHz bw for free  (Read 2198413 times)

Offline gf

• Super Contributor
Re: Hantek - Tekway - DSO hack - get 200MHz bw for free
« Reply #2975 on: February 18, 2019, 07:48:03 pm »
When giving one signal on 2 channels (through cables of identical length) oscillograms are shifted rather each other on 2ns.

Seems to be a similar behavior as I noticed on my handheld Hantek 2D72 (but there it is even 50ns, when the time base is >= 10us/div);
https://www.eediscuss.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=14706
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 08:01:27 pm by gf »

Offline GilbouFR

• Contributor
« Reply #2976 on: February 20, 2019, 09:07:48 pm »
How can a noobie like me build a 200 MHz generator to test it ?
I have no idea how to

Offline tinheadTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • If you like my hacks, send me a donation
« Reply #2977 on: February 20, 2019, 09:40:07 pm »
How can a noobie like me build a 200 MHz generator to test it ?
I have no idea how to

e.g. http://www.eevblog.com/2012/07/06/eevblog-306-jim-williams-pulse-generator/

avalanche pulse generator is what you need, for sure you can use "any" signal generator (uC, CPLD, XO, VCXO, etc.) but it must have rise time with less than 1ns. When using XOs don't forget that their rise time is specified 20/80 and of course with "no load", so when you use e.g. Silabs Sixxx oscillators, they drop the rise time from 350ps to e.g. 1ns at 15pF load (which is the case for the DSO input capacity).
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Offline Zzippo

« Reply #2978 on: February 24, 2019, 06:07:57 pm »
I don't know if it's the case to use this thread but this seems to be the most famous one about these scopes, the fact is that I think to have found a bad firmware bug and spotted how to replicate it

the bug is the entire scope that freezes after startup, i can tell it's doing that because the Led near the V0 knob is on while powerup (sometimes ALL the Leds are on but it's ok apparently), when it comes to actual wave screen it seems going but there's an "adjust V0 to set brightness" message on the bottom and the moment i touch ANYTHING it freezes immediately for a pair of seconds and reboots with all the memorized setups at default, this happens like once per 10\20 times i turn it on and i always have the fear it bricks totally, i remember it rebooted also once, while messing too fast with a lot of settings, apart this startup problem

recently I press "default setup" before turning it off and apparently it never did that again... honestly the only setting I usually had on was the silly buzzer for button presses (apart regular settings like 20MHz bw filter, 5V per unit vertical, and maybe a faster timebase), probably it fails some settings checksum

my unit is a DSO5102P with fw dso5kp_func_dso5102p20170714... the previous 3.40.0 161227.0 had the same exact issue (sorry the format of the infos i give) i waited some time before posting this considering it may do this trick again but apparently it did not

some apparently say that it may be a bad CMOS memory but at this point i also think it can be a battery-to-line power transition issue... i don't know  :-//

any idea? solutions? similar cases?

Offline brainwash

• Frequent Contributor
    • Hack Correlation
« Reply #2979 on: March 05, 2019, 11:25:23 pm »
For me it's mostly crashing when in split-screen/zoom mode, I haven't been able to identify the exact settings.
I also had issues with the loose screen connector but that usually just results in a white screen, rarely a reboot.

Offline Zzippo

« Reply #2980 on: March 10, 2019, 09:28:12 pm »
For me it's mostly crashing when in split-screen/zoom mode, I haven't been able to identify the exact settings.
I also had issues with the loose screen connector but that usually just results in a white screen, rarely a reboot.
good to know about the screen cable... if it becomes white my face will do the same  :phew:

Offline martinisonline

« Reply #2981 on: April 01, 2019, 01:12:08 am »
I don't know if it's the case to use this thread but this seems to be the most famous one about these scopes, the fact is that I think to have found a bad firmware bug and spotted how to replicate it

the bug is the entire scope that freezes after startup, i can tell it's doing that because the Led near the V0 knob is on while powerup (sometimes ALL the Leds are on but it's ok apparently), when it comes to actual wave screen it seems going but there's an "adjust V0 to set brightness" message on the bottom and the moment i touch ANYTHING it freezes immediately for a pair of seconds and reboots with all the memorized setups at default, this happens like once per 10\20 times i turn it on and i always have the fear it bricks totally, i remember it rebooted also once, while messing too fast with a lot of settings, apart this startup problem

recently I press "default setup" before turning it off and apparently it never did that again... honestly the only setting I usually had on was the silly buzzer for button presses (apart regular settings like 20MHz bw filter, 5V per unit vertical, and maybe a faster timebase), probably it fails some settings checksum

my unit is a DSO5102P with fw dso5kp_func_dso5102p20170714... the previous 3.40.0 161227.0 had the same exact issue (sorry the format of the infos i give) i waited some time before posting this considering it may do this trick again but apparently it did not

some apparently say that it may be a bad CMOS memory but at this point i also think it can be a battery-to-line power transition issue... i don't know  :-//

It happened with me once with the firmware version 180120.0.
Updated to the last firmware (dso5kp_func_dso5102p20190125.up) a couple of days ago. Now only the time will tell if the problem returns.

Offline Zzippo

« Reply #2982 on: April 18, 2019, 10:17:31 pm »

It happened with me once with the firmware version 180120.0.
Updated to the last firmware (dso5kp_func_dso5102p20190125.up) a couple of days ago. Now only the time will tell if the problem returns.

did you have the beeper enabled?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 10:19:03 pm by Zzippo »

Offline Zzippo

« Reply #2983 on: April 18, 2019, 10:21:22 pm »
anyways... it's not doing that anymore apparently, i press "default setup" every time i turn it off (also a good thing for me)

Offline Checksum47

« Reply #2984 on: April 19, 2019, 02:38:20 am »
I am looking at getting a USB UART TTY chip and Im a little confused when I go on Eb@y.  There seem to be 4 pin versions, 5 pin, and even 6 pin versions.  And then there seems to be micro-usb and regular usb.  I even saw one seller offering an extra 90 degree header if I chose an upgraded shipping method.  Do I need a 90 degree header?  Would it make the install nicer?  Can someone just provide me a link so I dont buy the wrong usb chip?

Offline tinheadTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • If you like my hacks, send me a donation
« Reply #2986 on: April 19, 2019, 09:17:25 am »
anyways... it's not doing that anymore apparently, i press "default setup" every time i turn it off (also a good thing for me)

there is general "thing" with these DSO series, when you change settings (any, so default as well), they write it into memory and save 2-5 seconds later. When you turn off while DSO is saving, you might get fancy issues. 
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

The following users thanked this post: Zzippo

Offline Zzippo

« Reply #2987 on: April 20, 2019, 01:02:47 am »
there is general "thing" with these DSO series, when you change settings (any, so default as well), they write it into memory and save 2-5 seconds later. When you turn off while DSO is saving, you might get fancy issues.

i see....... thanks!

honestly i thought about this as well, beeing used with windows etc we know that there's "behind the curtains" movements at random moments, so i don't force the scope to go fast behind me usually, i've always waited a bit before turning it off after messing with it (of course it shouldn't be like this, it's a bit disappointing, it's not windows, but we are used to "hard to use stuff" ^-^), 5 seconds is a bit "random far" tbh

i'll wait at least 10 secs before turning it off, i've also seen that the power switch simply disconnect mains (and it should be like this in my opinion) so a "bad shutoff" is not impossible, as a PC

Offline sergiycoolest

« Reply #2988 on: April 22, 2019, 10:04:45 pm »
Hello, to All Members! I am Sergiy from Ukraine. Would you be so kind to help me? My Hantek DSO 4102C after the 1st year of working "unexpectedly died".  Once, after starting, LCD became black. All buttons are working and LEDs are working too.  I checked power supply. All are good: +14,5V; +12V; -8V; +6,4V; +5V; +3,3V. I found control points on the main board (DSO4000C V1.02 2015-03) & checked them.  They are: +14,4V; +12V; -7V; +5V; -5V; +3,3V; +2,5V; +1,8V; +1,3V; +1,25V.  Only +2,5V was absent at all. One SMD SOT23 part was damaged (burned). It marked as (SANE) & seems like precision voltage reference .  I did not find the electrical circuit of Hantek DSO 4102C.  I have the picture of a board. Can someone help me?

Offline sergiycoolest

« Reply #2989 on: April 22, 2019, 10:06:38 pm »
Hello, to All Members! I am Sergiy from Ukraine. Would you be so kind to help me? My Hantek DSO 4102C after the 1st year of working "unexpectedly died".  Once, after starting, LCD became black. All buttons are working and LEDs are working too.  I checked power supply. All are good: +14,5V; +12V; -8V; +6,4V; +5V; +3,3V. I found control points on the main board (DSO4000C V1.02 2015-03) & checked them.  They are: +14,4V; +12V; -7V; +5V; -5V; +3,3V; +2,5V; +1,8V; +1,3V; +1,25V.  Only +2,5V was absent at all. One SMD SOT23 part was damaged (burned). It marked as (SANE) & seems like precision voltage reference .  I did not find the electrical circuit of Hantek DSO 4102C.  I have the picture of a board. Can someone help me?

Online Microcheap

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2990 on: April 22, 2019, 11:05:09 pm »
Hi sergiycoolest, welcome to the forum.
I've checked a 4102C board and U21 is indeed a Vref. It's marked R30E (REF3040) http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/ref3040.pdf

The following users thanked this post: sergiycoolest

Offline Konsul

« Reply #2991 on: May 01, 2019, 10:48:27 pm »
I have Voltcraft DSO-1062D and I tried to upgrade firmware... unsuccessfully :(.
I downloaded firmware file from this page:
http://voltcraftdownload.info/Default.aspx?modelno=DSO-1062D
Then I unziped it and put dso5kb_func_dso5062b20180226.up on USB stick. After that I used upgrade firmware option from scope menu and after upgrade and reboot my oscilloscope is stuck on white boot screen with "VOLTCRAFT DSO-1062D DIGITAL OSCILLOSCOPE" text on it. What can I do now?

Offline Konsul

« Reply #2992 on: May 02, 2019, 06:22:56 pm »
Today I opened my oscilloscope to access UART, but cannot see it where I expected it to be :(. There is an integrated circuit instead of UART. Is it possible that there is no UART on my PCB?

Offline Konsul

« Reply #2993 on: May 02, 2019, 08:34:03 pm »
I have found UART (it is next to the USB port on the back) and thanks to this descrption:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/voltcraft-dso-1102d/msg2036896/#msg2036896
i have managed to fix mine oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: R4T

Offline Checksum47

« Reply #2994 on: May 05, 2019, 06:14:34 pm »
I am trying to make a backup of my Hantek 5072P and I have downloaded the dso5kp_backuptool.up and put it on a regular USB thumb drive and everytime it gives me....
0xff saying something about how it cant proceed and how it cant read the usb.  I have even resorted to formatting the USB drive to Fat32,ExFAT.  Nothing seem to work...

Offline wolframore

« Reply #2995 on: June 10, 2019, 06:17:06 pm »
Late to party but picked up a Hantek 5202P cause it was the last one and it was only $269 delivered.

The only issue I have with this is the low memory... is it possible to change the flash memory chip on these so it's more like the "B" models? 

I'm also going to do a portable battery mod to run off 5V cause these are so light, I can take them in the field... they are so low priced I don't mind them being out there.
e^jpi +1 = 0

Offline MeterMacher

« Reply #2996 on: June 28, 2019, 04:48:18 pm »
Can anyone provide root.ubi (nanddump image) for Voltcraft DSO-1062D aka Hantek DSO5xx2B S/N > 15000 (hw 1.01) for me?
Although nanddump backup worked, it is useless, since this image is corrupt (i.e. decompression errors, fails to start dso.exe for this reason and then reboots immediately).
Was able to flash back same root.ubi by using dwn under linux, however, still the same error after this procedure as one can imagine.
As well as I understood, wrong calibration files (contained in the image of another scope) can be exchanged with the current ones after new ubifs image is replaced? (These have been backed up already).
Many Thanks!

Offline cliffyk

• Frequent Contributor
    • PaladinMicro
« Reply #2997 on: July 14, 2019, 07:53:21 am »
OK, as a new Hantek DSO1062B owner I read through 90%+ of these posts (I admit, not all 120 pages), however all these hacks seem to do is alter the 'scope's firmware to allow selection of a 2.0 ns/div timebase (my 60 MHz unit goes to 4.0 ns, and is 3dB down at 95 MHz). This does not of course modify the instruments's front-end to pass 200 MHz signals, so unless Hantek produced all these devices with 200 MHz bandwidth analog inputs (which I seriously doubt) it is naught but eye-wash.

Has anyone actually verified that a "hacked" 60 MHz or 100 MHz 'scope has magically "become a 200 MHz device" by just upgrading the firmware (other than simply the availability of a 2.0 ns/div timebase setting)?

« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 07:55:12 am by cliffyk »
-cliff knight-

paladinmicro.com

Offline tatus1969

• Super Contributor
  • Resistance is futile - We Are The Watt.
    • keenlab
« Reply #2998 on: July 14, 2019, 01:21:36 pm »
Hantek may changed their strategy since then (although I doubt that), but when I did this mod a few years ago, the situation was that they had used the very same 200MHz circuit design for all of their models, and done the bandwidth limitation purely in software. The input stage hack that is described in this thread therefore was optional, and more directed towards better linearity and even more bandwidth.
We Are The Watt - Resistance Is Futile!

Offline Input220v

« Reply #2999 on: July 16, 2019, 03:05:39 pm »
Hi
From the day of purchase it has been complicated to adjust settings neccessary to work with Hantek MSO5102D model. Buttons don’t work correct, pushing “Display” cursor appears, pushing “Utility”- “Default” appears, pushing “Auto set” - oscilloscope gets stuck. Is it possible to upgrade for another program software? The current version I have is: 3.325 (161017.0) ( hw version 1020x55778354).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf