Author Topic: Hantek - Tekway - DSO hack - get 200MHz bw for free  (Read 2196547 times)

Offline pcmihnea

• Contributor
Re: Hantek - Tekway - DSO hack - get 200MHz bw for free
« Reply #2375 on: June 28, 2014, 10:07:04 am »
Hi, sorry for the late response, I was a bit busy the last few days. Thanks to TinHead and  rosasharn for answering my questions.

TinHead:
no, so that shit is not working, this is due errors in partiton table or the nanddump tool. Some models are unfortunately affected.
So I should try the direct nanddump method (by inputting the commands via the DSO Tool), or there is simply no usable method of backing up for my model and s/n?

TinHead:
use google :) really. You will for sure find some tutorials (x86 for sure, some arm as well).
Ok, will try, but after I have a working backup (just to be 100% sure I can recover from my "experiments") and enough knowledge.

rosasharn:
Hello! My firmware dso5kp_func_dso5102p20140208 hasn't such RTC problem, you may update it to test.
www.hantek.com/Product/5000P/DSO5102P_Firmware.zip
Thank you for the link!

rosasharn:
Yes, Hantek DSO5000 series support printer, but only HP laseijet1010/1020/1022.
I see, I only tried with HP Deskjet and Lexmark laser. In the future I'll do as TinHead did, and implement my own printer(s)' drivers as well.

Thanks again for all the help!

Offline colinbeeforth

• Contributor
« Reply #2376 on: June 28, 2014, 01:41:23 pm »

Hi Dan,

I'll admit that I've been spoiled rotten for DSOs, I've owned a LeCroy 9310M for many years now.  I bought it second hand, it was expensive even then, but it's paid for itself so many times it owes me nothing.  It is getting a bit long in the tooth and parts are harder to get now.  So I thought I check out what was on the lower cost market a couple of years ago.

I went through the low cost DSO market, sending an email of questions to each manufacturer.  Hantek looked ok, I arranged to see one in use before buying and on the surface it looked ok.  It was a little different in the way it handled memory and sample rate, but different is ok.  The manufacturer was very poor at answering questions, they actually accused me of being a  competitor trying to get their "proprietary secrets".  I had just asked them the same stuff you can read in any LeCroy user manual, nothing exotic, but I should have been alarmed by their attitude, but I liked the colour screen -  it was a bad mistake.  I bought a Hantek DS5102B.  I've done the usual software upgrades, but nothing really works.  I can't trust what it says on the screen, it locks up and needs rebooting a dozen times a day.  That's not an exaggeration.  When you try to get it to do anything much, it crashes.  Remember, I'm used to a 20 year old LeCroy scope that hasn't crashed on me ever.  Truly, not once, ever.

The Hantek is junk, I'd love to get it out of my sight, it reminds of how I stupidly let a shiny display beguile me into wasting money.  However, in conscience, I can't sell it, it's rubbish and I'd only be giving some other less experience person a headache.

So, I liked the neat colour display, I liked the small size.  The Rigol DS2072A had just come onto the market.  I researched, thought it was a fair chance and bought one.  I'd be happy to on-sell this one though, because it works reasonably well, but I don't really want to keep it.  It just doesn't appeal very much.  It does some good things, but it's hasn't got the raw horsepower that a LeCroy has, even one 20 years older...

I've used the Rigol for a while, but also asked Rigol about how their scope worked.  They were polite, but coy about display compression algorithms and whether their scope had one.  For example, you've got a 100k single shot acquisition.  How does the Rigol scope write this onto a display with only 800 horizontal pixels?  Rigol won't tell me.  If you look up the LeCroy user manual , it explains how the display compression algorithm works, they break the contiguous acquisition into 400 bins, pick out min and max values, then write each one onto the display giving 800 pixels, but showing any amplitude deviations, even as small as one pixel wide.  If you see it on a non-zoomed display, you know there is a problem to be investigated, and use the zoom mode to check out the precise nature of the spike that was shown.  Why is that so difficult?  Well, it's a lot of data processing, and to do it fast enough to retain a reasonable update rate, it has to be done in hardware, and that's how LeCroy do it.  I can trust that.  I've checked that even a single pixel out of place shows up exactly as they promise, and it does.

Summary: The Rigol is ok, the small bench footprint is useful, but I still don't really trust it for anything except preliminary investigation.  The Hantek is a complete waste of bench space, money, time and effort.  The hardware looks like it should be ok.  The software is amateurish, and their support is laughable - or it would be funny if I hadn't actually paid for it.  Another spec that really matters for DSOs is equivalent bits.  At high speed, most DSOs lose bits of acquisition due to errors, jitter and noise.  So a fast acquisition is probably only 6.8 equivalent bits, and LeCroy's handbook will tell you exactly what you get at full speed.  None of the other manufacturers will admit what their equivalent bits at speed are.  That's what I mean about trusting a scope's results.

In the end, I bought a new old LeCroy, despite having a huge case, being very heavy and having a loud fan, and expensive, but it has a colour display and is totally trustworthy.  If it passes it's boot up calibration routines, you know it's in spec and good.  You can access the AtoD calibration results from the maintenance screens with LeCroy.  You know, if you connect the 1kHz calibration output to a 50 ohm coax cable, then to a BNC T on one input and hang a half metre piece of coax cable on the spare end of the T.  Set the input to 50 ohms, and look at the pulse reflection on the cable, and you can measure how many centimetres of cable you have attached to the input.  Light travels about 20cm in a nanosecond (in a cable) and it's easy to measure 50cm of unterminated cable with the LeCroy.  Try that with the Hantek...

Cheers, Colin
Melbourne

Quote:

Or, given I have version hw0 hardware should I just cut my losses and trade up for something newer/better and stop wasting time on this one? 

Thanks,

Dan
[/quote]

Offline tinheadTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • If you like my hacks, send me a donation
« Reply #2377 on: June 28, 2014, 06:17:39 pm »
Colin,

The Hantek ... hardware looks like it should be ok.  The software is amateurish, and their support is laughable

i can sign that as well, on the other side, we got what we paid for. Sure, firmware on AWGs is better developed
than on latest MSO/DSOs, where they more stable than the older DSO models (hw0, hw1005, hw1007).  The original
PC Software, especially the MSO/DSO version is ugly/useless, good that we have SDK and custom software.

Support, well, as i said, you get what you paid for. How compares <500USD Hantek to >5000USD 9310M (when new)?

You know, if you connect the 1kHz calibration output to a 50 ohm coax cable, then to a BNC T on one input and hang a half metre piece of coax cable on the spare end of the T.  Set the input to 50 ohms, and look at the pulse reflection on the cable, and you can measure how many centimetres of cable you have attached to the input.  Light travels about 20cm in a nanosecond (in a cable) and it's easy to measure 50cm of unterminated cable with the LeCroy. 

Try that with the Hantek...

here we go, openend Emerson 415-0037-036 cable (~91.5cm) at one T side , 1MHz test signal with
fast rise time on other T side. The measured 9.2ns is exact what it have to be for an 91.5cm cable.

connect the 1kHz calibration output to a 50 ohm coax cable ... Try that with the Hantek...

Colin, that will not work, not on Hantek nor Tektronix nor Agilent, Rigol etc,
you can't plug BNC into these flat-2pins connectors :)

But let's stay serious  >:D

connect the 1kHz calibration output to a 50 ohm coax cable ... Try that with the Hantek...

Hantek's 1kHz CAL output have something about 2us rise time, even my modified version
(schematic: C03_57 and_58 removed) one can get 900ns (measured with 500MHz probe)

So how the hell you wish to use that signal to measure 5ns cable reflection?
The 1kHz CAL output is to calibrate probes, not to use as signal source for ns-range measurments,
use proper signal  source and you will be able to do such measurments on Hantek (see above).

proprietary secrets

Today you will not get any answers from any manufacturer, except marketing shit.
Hantek/Tekway was not bad at all, sure i got sometimes shit as well, but overall i'm
happy with them when talking about "secrets".
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 06:20:53 pm by tinhead »
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Offline Lesheg

« Reply #2378 on: June 29, 2014, 03:22:16 pm »
Hi. I have Hantek DSO5102B hw version 1010 and serial 19XXX. Tried to backup via nanddump in DSO-USB-Tool, but this command doesn't work. There is another way to make a backup?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2379 on: June 29, 2014, 03:43:53 pm »
Hi. I have Hantek DSO5102B hw version 1010 and serial 19XXX. Tried to backup via nanddump in DSO-USB-Tool, but this command doesn't work. There is another way to make a backup?

what exactly is not working? Can you dump mtd1 ?
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Offline Lesheg

« Reply #2380 on: June 29, 2014, 04:40:14 pm »
what exactly is not working? Can you dump mtd1 ?
There is no attempt to access USB flash drive (LED is not blinking), and does not appear any files on it.
Can I do something wrong?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2381 on: June 29, 2014, 05:58:30 pm »
There is no attempt to access USB flash drive (LED is not blinking), and does not appear any files on it.
Can I do something wrong?

then copy somthing to /mnt/udisk/ , e.g.

cp /bin/busybox /mnt/udisk/

and then

sync

to check if the flash drive got recognized

Offline Lesheg

« Reply #2382 on: June 29, 2014, 06:51:43 pm »

and then

sync

Yes, this is works, appears busybox on flash drive.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2383 on: June 30, 2014, 12:38:09 pm »

and then

sync

Yes, this is works, appears busybox on flash drive.

ok, so give me that file. The "nanddump" itself is an link to busybox, which is multical binary. So maybe that version you have does NOT include nanddump command anymore.

Offline Lesheg

« Reply #2384 on: June 30, 2014, 03:25:42 pm »
ok, so give me that file. The "nanddump" itself is an link to busybox, which is multical binary. So maybe that version you have does NOT include nanddump command anymore.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2385 on: June 30, 2014, 03:40:35 pm »
ok, that busybox does include nanddump, so must be something else.
Go to the shell tab and check (with ls) if there is nanddump in /usr/sbin/ or /usr/bin/

Offline Lesheg

« Reply #2386 on: June 30, 2014, 04:37:06 pm »
ok, that busybox does include nanddump, so must be something else.
Go to the shell tab and check (with ls) if there is nanddump in /usr/sbin/ or /usr/bin/
found nanddump in a directory /usr/sbin/

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2387 on: June 30, 2014, 07:36:00 pm »
then try again

/usr/sbin/nanddump -o -b -f /mnt/udisk/dump.bin /dev/mtd1
sync

that must work. You can of course connect via physical UART and check if nanddump is giving any error.

Offline Lesheg

« Reply #2388 on: July 01, 2014, 02:03:54 pm »
then try again

/usr/sbin/nanddump -o -b -f /mnt/udisk/dump.bin /dev/mtd1
sync

that must work. You can of course connect via physical UART and check if nanddump is giving any error.
Thanks, it works. The problem, it turns out, was that I set the path to a flash drive "/mnt/udisk/dump/", but the "dump" folder on the flash drive does not exist. I thought it should automatically create. :-DD I should have simply specify "/mnt/udisk/", as you suggested.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2389 on: July 01, 2014, 02:56:12 pm »
you welcome :)

Btw, could you zip your backup (of mtd0,1,2,3) and upload somewhere? Your S/N seems to be one of the latests,
so i could make more recent restore image (my current is with S/N just above 15000).
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 03:00:18 pm by tinhead »

Offline Lesheg

« Reply #2390 on: July 01, 2014, 04:47:19 pm »
you welcome :)

Btw, could you zip your backup (of mtd0,1,2,3) and upload somewhere? Your S/N seems to be one of the latests,
so i could make more recent restore image (my current is with S/N just above 15000).
Here it is https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8tbe1jhhnn72ps/dump.zip
I have another question. In my oscilloscope 2ns horizontal sweep available without any hack (file dst1102b in root directory). Does this mean that I do not make sense to do a software hack?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2391 on: July 01, 2014, 06:15:33 pm »
Here it is ...

thx, got it.

I have another question. In my oscilloscope 2ns horizontal sweep available without any hack (file dst1102b in root directory). Does this mean that I do not make sense to do a software hack?

oh well, i just flashed your dump, and indeed, it looks like your firmware is always allowing 2ns/DIV, no matter what model name i use. That however didn't change anything on the bandwidth hack, it is still necessary to rename the /dst1102b or /dst1062b to /dst1202b and reboot twice.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2392 on: July 01, 2014, 08:42:02 pm »
it seems that all current (with firmware 3.x from 2014) Hantek/Tekway "B", "BM", "BMV" and "P" models does have 2ns/DIV always enabled. That means, the presence of 2ns/DIV can NOT be used anymore as indication for a successful hack.

Offline pcmihnea

• Contributor
« Reply #2393 on: July 02, 2014, 08:48:55 am »
it seems that all current (with firmware 3.x from 2014) Hantek/Tekway "B", "BM", "BMV" and "P" models does have 2ns/DIV always enabled. That means, the presence of 2ns/DIV can NOT be used anymore as indication for a successful hack.
So that explains my unit too. But is there a functional method of backup for my model (DSO5102P, s/n <15000)? Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 07:08:28 pm by pcmihnea »

Offline rgo496

« Reply #2394 on: July 02, 2014, 04:12:58 pm »
Since 2 months i own a HANTEK DSO5102P. I also tried the DSO hack to go up to 200MHz, but i see no difference compared without it. I also had the 2ns timebase before.
A 125MHz clock signal will be detected as 125.000 but i will not trigger at all.

Then i tried HANTEKs new Firmware dso5202p20140208 and dso5102p20140208.
Unfortunately i didnt make a backup,because previous tries always resulted in an endless loop until the USB-stick got full.

So what do you guess. This new firmware is worse than my previous one (see attachment).
So i requested Hantek to send me a copy of my previous firmware.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 04:17:27 pm by rgo496 »

Offline pcmihnea

• Contributor
« Reply #2395 on: July 02, 2014, 07:38:27 pm »
Since 2 months i own a HANTEK DSO5102P. I also tried the DSO hack to go up to 200MHz, but i see no difference compared without it. I also had the 2ns timebase before.
A 125MHz clock signal will be detected as 125.000 but i will not trigger at all.

Then i tried HANTEKs new Firmware dso5202p20140208 and dso5102p20140208.
Unfortunately i didnt make a backup,because previous tries always resulted in an endless loop until the USB-stick got full.

So what do you guess. This new firmware is worse than my previous one (see attachment).
So i requested Hantek to send me a copy of my previous firmware.
Hi, I also own the same model for some time and didn't have any of the issue you mentioned. Those limitations can be reproduced on my unit through some specific settings:
1.Menu cannot be hidden when in dual-window mode, and when you close the "Measurement" menu, all the measurements are shown on the bottom half of the screen in a yellow-background box,
4. If you activated a digital filter, Recorder or pass/fail function (in "Utility" menu page 3/3), the only memory depth possible is 4Kp/s. Also, if using the "Math" operation, the maximum is 20Kp/s.
I wasn't able to replicate 2) and 3) (although Alternate triggering is available only on 4Kp/s, but there is an error displayed when trying to set this option), even if I tried all the settings that may interfere. So it's possible that the culprit is other than user settings.
I know it may sound obvious, but are the issues still there even after a "Default Setup"? My intention is not to offend you, I'm just offering my opinions (since I'm a proud owner of the same DSO, and used both the old 2013 firmware and the latest - 140111 and 140208). If not of any help, please disregard. Thanks!

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2396 on: July 03, 2014, 12:30:36 pm »
i don't have such problems as well, so i assume his DSO is broken

Offline rgo496

« Reply #2397 on: July 03, 2014, 03:06:12 pm »
i found my mistake: i had renamed dst1102b accidentially to dst2202b . renaming it back to dst1202bst  and everything is working again as before.
thanks guys.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 03:14:13 pm by rgo496 »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2398 on: July 03, 2014, 04:17:21 pm »
right, with dst2202b as model name the firmware is running out of any specs/range.

Allowed are only following names:

dst1202b
dst1100
dst4060
dst1150
dst4042
dst1102b
dst4062b
dst1152
dst3022b
dst3042b
dst4062
dst4102b
dst1062b

where these without "B" at the end of name are only for (backward compatibility?) models from 2009,
like these Tekway DST1202 with 3.5" display and 2.5k memory (i liked them, one can close eyes and use
menus blind as if they were Tektronix TDS1xxx series):

http://www.tekwayins.com/product.asp?ArticleID=7

these names with "B" are in 2 sub categories, these with 3xxxb and 4xxxb are for (not anymore produced) models:

http://www.tekwayins.com/product.asp?ArticleID=10

Btw, i thought the DSO5xxxP is more or less successor of these 3xxxb and 4xxxb models. But there are new DSO4000B models:

http://www.hantek.com/ProductDetail_3_147.html

And finally these with 1xxxB, they used by every other model, so "P", "B/BM/BMV", handhelds, even the new MSO5074FG.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 04:38:09 pm by tinhead »

Offline rosasharn

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2399 on: July 04, 2014, 05:14:20 am »
i did it once on my Tekway,with 800x600 reslution the picture looks ok

Thanks, tinhead.
It's really helpful.  :-+

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf