Author Topic: Hantek - Tekway - DSO hack - get 200MHz bw for free  (Read 2198536 times)

Offline joph

Re: Hantek - Tekway - DSO hack - get 200MHz bw for free
« Reply #1000 on: January 05, 2012, 03:22:37 pm »
@patz:

Is it possible to add an option to your software which allows me to change back to the 1062b and not only one way to 1202b?

best regards
Johannes

Offline patz

• Contributor
« Reply #1001 on: January 05, 2012, 03:37:10 pm »
@patz:

Is it possible to add an option to your software which allows me to change back to the 1062b and not only one way to 1202b?

best regards
Johannes

Hi,

should be possible, I'll have a look at it ASAP.

Offline joph

« Reply #1002 on: January 05, 2012, 09:54:08 pm »
Thank You!

best regards
Johannes

Offline sobomax

« Reply #1003 on: January 13, 2012, 08:32:21 am »
Oh, tinhead, the thing you did with USB protocol is just amazing. Now you just need to figure our the way to pass information (stdout and stderr) back to host so you have useable shell OOB and all us hantek owner would applaude you!

I am hacking mine now, trying to get usb stick up and running. Got one 10mbps lying around for 6 years or so. Would be nice to put it to some meaningful use now, especially considering that new TTscope is expected to support IP.

Keep doing man. :)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 06:44:28 pm by sobomax »

Offline sobomax

« Reply #1004 on: January 14, 2012, 12:52:19 am »
OMG, with little bit of tinkering got USB ethernet driver loading and sensing my stick. I should be pretty close to get the shell on this thing over IP. :)

Module                  Size  Used by
rtl8150 10816 0 - Live 0xbf02a000
dso_buzzer 2368 2 - Live 0xbf028000
dso_uart 1920 0 - Live 0xbf026000
dso_spi 5864 2 - Live 0xbf023000
dso_i2c 13908 2 - Live 0xbf01e000
dso_fpga 4176 2 - Live 0xbf01b000

<6>drivers/usb/net/rtl8150.c: rtl8150 based usb-ethernet driver v0.6.2 (2004/08/27)
<6>usbcore: registered new driver rtl8150
<6>drivers/usb/net/rtl8150.c: eth%d: rtl8150 is detected

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:10:60:02:97:57
          inet addr:192.168.1.229  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1540  Metric:1
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

We are practically there.

Pings well. :))))

[sobomax@pioneer ~/projects/Hantek]$ ping 192.168.1.229
PING 192.168.1.229 (192.168.1.229): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 192.168.1.229: icmp_seq=0 ttl=64 time=3.263 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.229: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=1.838 ms
^C
--- 192.168.1.229 ping statistics ---
2 packets transmitted, 2 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 1.838/2.550/3.263/0.713 ms
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 04:58:45 am by sobomax »

Offline sobomax

« Reply #1005 on: January 14, 2012, 05:16:22 am »
 8)

Here we go, baby:

[sobomax@pioneer ~/projects/Hantek]$ telnet 192.168.1.229
Trying 192.168.1.229...
Connected to 192.168.1.229.
Escape character is '^]'.

Tekway-dso login: root
[root@Tekway-dso /]#

My experimental setup, as you can see the scope runs 4-port generic hub just fine.

I'll be posting instructions and some .ko's in the next few days. Now just need to figure out how to make this setup sustain reboot.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 05:18:10 am by sobomax »

Offline patz

• Contributor
« Reply #1006 on: January 14, 2012, 09:23:39 am »
Great work!

Offline tinheadTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • If you like my hacks, send me a donation
« Reply #1007 on: January 14, 2012, 11:58:10 am »
I'll be posting instructions and some .ko's in the next few days.
yeah, you asked a day or two ago about kernel version of these DSOs, it is 2.6.13, these new models (which will support LAN)
will have 2.6.30.4. You can already see these hardcoded values in current firmware.

Now just need to figure out how to make this setup sustain reboot.

as this is usb stick the best would be probably to write own shel script which will setup network address and the int up,
and this script can be then started by rcS (always) or usb.agent (only after stick inserted)

I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Offline sobomax

« Reply #1008 on: January 14, 2012, 09:55:07 pm »
OK, so everybody who wants to get network in their scope for like $5 or so read up. :)

Below is the link to a package that would load all USB network drivers I could find in 2.6.13 kernel. This consists of:

catc.ko
kaweth.ko
pegasus.ko
rtl8150.ko
usbnet.ko
zd1201.ko

I have only tested with RTL8150 and it works well, except taking out the stick while the network is running hangs the scope. I suspect the kernel got some issue with that, but not having access to the console it's difficult to tell. Not a big deal to me, as I plan on having this stick permanently attached to my unit.

CAUTION! As usually play at your own risk and think 10 times before making any permanent changes to the startup sequence. It is way too easy to brick the scope and if you do so make sure you can handle this situation and put no blame on me. And don't expect me to help you to fix it either. Sorry. Check posts of tinhead and others in this topic about low-level flashing procedures, you may need to use those to get your unit back to working condition.

The package itself is pretty safe to use. It WON'T do any permanent changes to the startup scripts, so if something goes wrong just power it off and then back on again and it should come back.

What it does is loading all above mentioned drives and starts a small script that monitors when the eth0 interface appears in the system and configures it up with the IP of 192.168.1.229 and netmask 255.255.255.0. You just unzip the file onto empty USB stick, attach the stick to the scope, make sure it has been picked up (you should see "floppy" icon going active when it happens) and follow normal firmware upgrade sequence. If everything goes fine you should see the message about upgrade being successfully completed prompting you to restart the scope. DO NOT RESTART THE SCOPE JUST YET. Remove the USB stick and plug the USB network adapter instead. If you are lucky and your network adapter is in the supported list you should be able to ping the unit in the 1-2 seconds and telnet to it. Username is root and the password is empty.

Now, assuming that everything goes nice and well, and you are in the scope shell do the following to make this setup permanent (see my note above). I really suggest you do some stability testing before you do so to make sure your scope won't stuck in the infinity reboot loop or hang solidly right after boot.

[root@Tekway-dso /]# mv /tmp/nethack.sh /
[root@Tekway-dso /]# vi /etc/init.d/rcS

Add the following line (bold&red) somewhere close to the end of the script, but before the /dso.exe line. Mine looks like the following:

/bin/hostname -F /etc/sysconfig/HOSTNAME
/nethack.sh start ; sleep 1

/dso.exe

IP address and netmask can be changed by editing nethack.sh. You can also add line to add defauly gateway if you feel like it.

I am planning to registering Github repo later today and tomorrow and dropping my 2.6.13 tree with some instructions there. It was not easy to find that particular kernel, the mini2440 guys have moved along to newer kernels long time ago and do not distribute this old crap. It also needed few merges from later 2.6.x to get it compiling with the newest gcc 4.6. I am sure other people will be able to compile other great stuff, like for example USB UART drivers etc.

I have only tested it with DSO5102B (modded to feel like DSO5202B), with latest 2.06.3 (111226.1), but it should work with any reasonably latest firmwares. It could also work with the tekway units or would need minimal changes to get it working there.

Happy hacking and please report any successes/failures here! :)

« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 10:27:03 pm by sobomax »

Offline sobomax

« Reply #1009 on: January 14, 2012, 09:58:06 pm »
P.S. Another interesting approach is to get the usbnet driver working with the device USB connector (one on the back). Then one just needs USB cable to communicate to the scope by IP.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1010 on: January 16, 2012, 11:03:40 am »
there is new firmware available on Hantek website 2.06.3(111226.1) , however it seems to have a new small bug,
the language setting (in case you use something but not english) didn't work properly (after reboot always english)

HanTekway fixed that issue in meantime, here is the newest version 2.06.3(120112.1)

http://hotfile.com/dl/142100356/1d87527/2.06.3_120112.1.zip.html
(MD5 371c00942b43b88df49eb23ca4ede99d)

Interessting are the two new features in this version:

- coarse/fine for horizontal position, "fine" is what you have now, coarse is doing bigger steps (1DIV),
  together with dual window and markes a very useful feature

- avg (4/8/16) mode for long memory - however due the maximum of available memory only for 40kpoints
  (due the DPO-like tech this scope must store all waveforms, not just do avg. like e.g. Rigol).
  This was a requested by users feature and it seems to work as expected.

The attached firmware is working with all Tekway DST1xxxB and Hantek DSO5xxxBxx models.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 11:12:01 am by tinhead »
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Offline shebu18

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1011 on: January 20, 2012, 11:15:38 am »
@tinhead: Hello, what were the problems you encountered using the hantek DSO5***? I am between the rigol 1052e and the hantek 5062b. Right now the only problem is the seller of the hantek, it does not look very confident. I worried about the warranty if anything should happen to the scope.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1012 on: January 20, 2012, 12:13:07 pm »
@tinhead: Hello, what were the problems you encountered using the hantek DSO5***?

oh well, 99,9% of all these problems are today history or resolved (like a bit hot PSU)
therefore no need to talk about them anymore.

Right now the only problem is the seller of the hantek, it does not look very confident. I worried about the warranty if anything should happen to the scope.

You can buy Tekway DST1062B or Hantek DSO5062B - they equal.

There are a lot of trustful sellers: silcon.cz, pinsonne-elektronik.de, elec3i.com or here in forum aghp https://www.eevblog.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=10637

Offline walt

• Contributor
« Reply #1013 on: January 20, 2012, 08:34:36 pm »
Hi,tinhead !

What the option in new firmware "Bode asistant" (open|close, default- close, not changeable ) and "Video" (gray, not active) ?  :o

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1014 on: January 21, 2012, 12:48:00 am »
Hi,tinhead !

What the option in new firmware "Bode asistant" (open|close, default- close, not changeable ) and "Video" (gray, not active) ?  :o

Hi Walt,

Bode assistant see here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bode_plot

You need to know that the plot works (actually not plot but measured values) only when both channels are enabled and:
no avarage sampling, no equivalent sampling, no FFT mode, no XY mode enabled (not sure if i missed something)

So in principle when you apply two signals and trigger with autosetup you will be able to select "open" in bode assistant,
then you will have to click the mulitfunction knob V0

The video is grayed out, the reason is a bit deeper:
- you need linux kernel 2.6.30.4 installed and not 2.6.13, this is what you will find on BM/BMV models (and BV handheld models)
- you need the "V" license, a BM model will be able to play videos but will have no license so this wil stay grayed out

Kernel check can be hacked, but then video will be still not played due missing things in 2.6.13 kernel and missing files
in root fs. License is not a big deal, i reversed already all licensing models from Tekway and Hantek, means
i can already change B models to BM or BMV, or even enable things which are still not implemented nor even public known
(like touch, DDS, DMM, LA which you will find in 4 channel models). Many of these licensing options are of course
only working if the hardware us able to do it, however some (like video player) are only kernel/root fs dependant.

I do have already BMV model root fs and kernel, but an early version (therefore i don't want to share),
hope soon the official production version of  BM/BMV models will be available and hope someone will make/share
root fs/kernel backup with us. Then i will definitely prepare an complex but easy to do firmware update
to replace root fs/kernel on the older models to be updated for next 2 yrs.

Offline clonecrp

• Regular Contributor
    • http://theclonestore.com
« Reply #1015 on: January 22, 2012, 03:16:45 pm »
sobomax :

I think I have looked everywhere but I can't seem to find your network adapter supported list. :(

Also, any code updates ?

Some advice please.

Please advise..
Thanks!
Douglas

Offline djeans

• Contributor
« Reply #1016 on: January 23, 2012, 09:24:50 pm »
Hi all,

maybe it's not the right place to post, but I do not where else:
my Tekway dst1062b hangs (latest firmware). After restarting it still hangs and the screen come up, but the device is not reacting on any key or so, the UI is there, both channels activated, RUN/STOP is green but not reacting at all. and idea how to resovle this (before connection to UART again...)

Thanks
D
peace!

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1017 on: January 23, 2012, 09:33:44 pm »
Hi all,

maybe it's not the right place to post, but I do not where else:
my Tekway dst1062b hangs (latest firmware). After restarting it still hangs and the screen come up, but the device is not reacting on any key or so, the UI is there, both channels activated, RUN/STOP is green but not reacting at all. and idea how to resovle this (before connection to UART again...)

Thanks
D

so even default button is not reacting right? Well try this app

http://www.mikrocontroller.net/attachment/130963/DSOReset.zip

download, conect boot DSO, connect via USB cable to PC (if necessary install the pc sw) and run this app - it will reset
(actualy delete the current) configuration. The scope should reboot during this, if not after say 5 seconds reboot
it manually (if you wait 10sec. the broken config will get again written to NAND so scope will still not run after reboot - in
such case try again ...)

If this didn't work (for whatsoever reason) you can only try via UART, probably you will have to delete run* and set* files
in /param/sav directory and reboot.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 09:36:14 pm by tinhead »

Offline djeans

• Contributor
« Reply #1018 on: January 23, 2012, 09:47:07 pm »
HI Tinhead,

Thanks !

I tried it in the meanwhile via UART. restarted ./dso.exe all the time and pressed "default" button until it accepts it. once accepted, I tried to change in some other menu options. once it worked without problems, I restarted the device and it worked. Next time when this happens I will try to reset DSOreset.zip.

You was right, there was something wrong with the params as it seems. However, I still like it :) also it can't play youScope fluently...

Thank you very much for your help.

D
peace!

Offline djeans

• Contributor
« Reply #1019 on: January 23, 2012, 11:05:59 pm »
 :o me again.  Sorry to missuse the thread. But might interest others due to a bug (?) too.

it happenend again: during analyzing an audio signal (headphone) and setting mem depth and SEC/DIV. anyone else with the same problem?

peace!

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1020 on: January 23, 2012, 11:20:51 pm »
Sorry to missuse the thread.

this thread is not only about hack, it is general thread about these DSOs

anyone else with the same problem?

so far no issues on my scope.

Maybe one thing, when ou reboot your scope, everything works again ? Then it looks like the dso.exe is just killing itself
for some reason (with some luck you will even see some error log on the uart/shell)

This can be everythig, starting from firmware bug up to hardware issue.

Offline djeans

• Contributor
« Reply #1021 on: January 23, 2012, 11:52:30 pm »
Maybe one thing, when ou reboot your scope, everything works again ?
no, it does not work unless I remove the params. then it boots correctly. the DSOreboot tool does not work for me, tried a few times... 

but all other stuff seems to work well like video signal messureing. that's really odd...

since I own the DSO few days I am thinking about to ship back. but then I need to revert all the changes (-> 200mhz).
peace!

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1022 on: January 24, 2012, 07:44:44 am »
Maybe one thing, when ou reboot your scope, everything works again ?
no, it does not work unless I remove the params. then it boots correctly. the DSOreboot tool does not work for me, tried a few times... 

but all other stuff seems to work well like video signal messureing. that's really odd...

since I own the DSO few days I am thinking about to ship back. but then I need to revert all the changes (-> 200mhz).

before you send back try following:
- kill dso.exe
- recheck if you did everything properly during hack - all names/strings properly
- remove the /param/sav/run* and /param/sav/udisk/run*
- run dso.exe
- run once again firmware update
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 03:45:21 pm by tinhead »

Offline bytraper

« Reply #1023 on: January 27, 2012, 01:54:18 am »
I've been following the thread, I've got a really early DSO1102B handheld scope with firmware 2.01.1

None of the hacked firmware I can find will work with it! It all saysx for 2.5-2.6 etc.
I got it from China when they were first released. Can anybody run me through how to hack my device to 200mhz or point me to a link?

Even Hantek doesn't have firmware on their page so I can't update the device.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1024 on: January 27, 2012, 03:11:13 am »
I've been following the thread, I've got a really early DSO1102B handheld scope with firmware 2.01.1

None of the hacked firmware I can find will work with it! It all saysx for 2.5-2.6 etc.
I got it from China when they were first released. Can anybody run me through how to hack my device to 200mhz or point me to a link?

Even Hantek doesn't have firmware on their page so I can't update the device.

i should probably start separate thread about the new Hantek handhelds (DSO1xxxB/BV/S)
EDIT: i updated now the first post in this thread, so ppl who have such handhelds will find immediately
some informatios before they spend like you a day or two to recognize that handheld and bench are
in principle similar but different enought to make the hacks more complex (from model point of view)

Anyway, they based on the bench models sp let's short introduce them :

Available models :
DSO1062B / BV / S
DSO1102B / BV / S
DSO1202B / BV / S

B - are standard models, BV have SD card and video player, S are with isolated channels.
What i got until now (and of course hacked, disassembled, documented, even draw part of schematics ...) are
the B and BV models.

The hardware is very similar to bench models, however they have of course some additions like DMM (FS9922-DMM4 chip),
power management (MSP430F2011), different i/o header, additional unpopulated header for BT2UART modules
(CSR Bluetooth Chip Solution , ebay for Bluetooth UART - they can be used as third uart over BT, i do have
these modules but didn't found time to test it ...)

They do have already LAN - but it seems to be option and not everbody is selling them with LAN,
in case you bought without LAN it is easy to populate the missing parts - all you need
is DM9000EP chip + magnetics and RJ45 jack - and small change in EEPROM licensing (see below).
You don't need 25MHz quarz for DM9000EP as on handheld LAN chip is clocked by FPGA
(on bench hw1007 seems to be not that case)

Display (AT056TN53 V. 1) have 640x480 resolution, 15 x 8.5DIV, menu popus on the bottom, this is te only resolution
(not like on bench model where 20 or 16div possible).

FPGA is the same as in bench DSO, but the FPGA design is different and already much better - these handhelds
have less jitter than the bench models, i like them already.

All current available models have max 1Mpoint memory, however the firmware support already TODAY 2Mpoint,
all you need is new SRAM chip (IS61LP51236A-200TQLI works in my handheld just perfect) and of course a small hack
which is changing EEPROM content (all licensing informations are stored there, even on newest bench models
even if not yet fully used to identify - but don't worry - easy to change/hack).

Of course 2Mpoint will only work when the CPLD (which is address counter for SRAM) supports this too
- luckily this is already implemented :) So in principle when you buy/replace SRAM and hack the licensing
(i can tell you via PM how to do this) you will get an BMV handheld - which even didn't exist today
officialy (but it does in the Hantek catalog from HK Fair, so they will come later 2012 on market)
The SRAM is not cheap and you need to be careful during unsoldering the old SRAM (don't use hot air,
FPGA is ot far enough, you might blow away some FPGA balls ... i used ChipQuick successfuly to remove old SRAM)

The linux is 2.6.30.4 kernel based, like on the (still not yet officially) released BM/BMV bench models.
The dso.exe, so the actuall application is NOT YET universal, i can see common things in bench and handheld model firmwares,
but up to now (and this will stay like that probably forever or at least long time) handheld firmware and bench firmware
are DIFFERENT !!!

So don't even try to run bench firmwares on handheld (or vice versa) - the resolution is different, the keyboard mapping
is different and of course kernel / root fs is different today (handheld 2.6.30.4, bench 2.6.13)

Luckily you can't destroy by downloading/updating with official firmware because the gpg password has been changed,
it is not anymore 0571tekway, not on handheld it is 111111

There is firmware available (2.01.1_20111213) on the website, http://www.hantek.com/Product/DSO1000B/Firmware.rar
however befor you update tell me what version is on your handheld ? (sw version field in about).

The backup tool posted in this thread will not work on handheld because of different password,
you might create your own or wait until i or someone else did it
(i can do it when you promise to make a backup of your handheld and share this backup with me)

For now, as you probably wish to use the 200MHz bw i can tell you that the hack itsel remains the same,
you have to open the unit, connect over uart (see attached picture for pinout) and do the hack manually

rename dst1102b file ( mv /dst1102b /dst1202b

edit logotype file (with vi /logotype ) and change dst1102b to dst1202b
edit logotype.dis file (with vi /logotype.dis ) and change Hantek_DSO1102B to Hantek_DSO1202B
edit tmpdst file (with vi /tmpdst ) and change /dst1102b to /dst1202b

The logo itself, hehe, it is now not anymore a bitmap file loaded via device driver (and based on model name in logotype.dis),
now it is hard compiled in the /disp file, so even when you hack the device to 200MHz during boot the logo
will be still telling DSO1102B (which seems to be a protection again chinese shops who still selling hacked 60MHz bench models
as 200MHz models - of course with new front sticker). It is not a real protection, but yeah, for sure it sucks to see different
model name but if you don't like it you can edit the /disp file with hexeditor and repalce the DST1102B picture by DST1202B.
Well, or wait - maybe some day someone will buy such handheld and sahre with us the /dsip executable, but
that's only logo - it have NO influence on any bw/settings, so who cares.

What else, yeah, the official export models have proper fuses (KTK-1, KTK-10) and better input protection
for DMM, models available via chinese sellers have cheap fuses only. If you don't care about CATIII you can
work with the cheap fuses too (in case you got such model).

What else .. hmm, a yeah, these BV model have the audio codec populated (UDA1341TS), small mono amplifier (TPA4861)
and ugly  headspeaker - if you don't need audio in video player you don't need them to be soldered.
However to enable the video function you need to hack video licensing (again in EEPROM). The SD card
is somehow part of the BV models too, all you need is micro SD holder, SD card and again licesning enabled in EEPROM.
SD will ge mounted into /mnt/sd, usb flash drive into /mnt/udisk (not just in /mnt like on bench models, which is again
a small tap whey you try to use e.g. backup tool from this thread)

Anything else , hmm, right - the UART port can be connected to unused LAN jack pins over optocouplers -they need
of course to be populated. Haven't tested how good this works, but from the PCB routing seems to be everything ok.

So i hope that was a nice short introduction about what already possible/known about these handhelds :)
I'm sure this time Hantek will start hunting me, but hey, it's not my fault that these scopes/handhelds are so
user/hack friendly (and well, very good gears too).

Edit: attached picture of licensing features enabled on my DSO - 2Mpoint, LAN, SD, Video - you can find
this menu point in utility, 5/5 page, more... button, sys features button.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 01:43:43 am by tinhead »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf