Author Topic: [SOLVED-BM867]Hard dilemma: GW121 or Brymen BM867s?  (Read 29832 times)

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
Re: [EDIT]Hard dilemma: GW121 or Brymen BM867s?
« Reply #100 on: August 16, 2018, 09:52:49 am »
I made a simple mistake not understanding something I have never seen before. You could have just pointed that out instead of a big waffle trying to make yourself look more intelligent than you actually are. A sign of something or other that is you know?
I made a simple mistake and I am honest in saying so. I stand corrected.
There are some real slippery ones on here too who are not honest though. Telling tales and stuff. Lol

What a turkey! 🤥
Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline M4x

• Contributor
« Reply #101 on: August 16, 2018, 10:12:34 am »
I think bugi explained the matter very friendly. You were the one who was a little bit over the top.

The following users thanked this post: nugglix, hatte

Offline Candid

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #102 on: August 16, 2018, 10:58:34 am »
How it works for Germany:

Buying from Dave (when it is available again):
300 AUD + 20 AUD (EEVBlog charges DHL standard 20 AUD, DHL Express for >40 AUD) = 320 AUD (= 205 EUR)

Importing to Germany (I only can write about Germany what should be somewhat similar for other European countries):
Product Price incl. shipping without tax + 19% VAT + about 4% customs fee + about 15 EUR DHL carrier fee =
205 EUR + 38,95 EUR + 8,20 EUR + 15 EUR = 267 EUR (about)

Buying from Welectron in Germany:
239 EUR incl. VAT and DHL shipping, delivered 2 - 3 days

At Welectron DHL shipping to Finland is free too so it should be that 239 EUR shipped too. I think the Welectron price is absolutely fair and you (when EEVBlog has on stock) you won't have to wait about 3 weeks (I had to wait) to get it delivered. The delivery time depends remarkable on the customs delay.

The following users thanked this post: RichardS

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103 on: August 16, 2018, 10:58:42 am »
Regardless of who is right or wrong in this muddy waters of international trading and various methods of shipping and taxes rates etc, it still works out at over 200GBP for a meter. I got mine my 867 here in the UK, all taxes fully paid and free next day delivery for 129.60GBP and if I want the ability to be able to data log on an Android or Windows PC via usb cable then that cost with the meter is still only 171.80 GBP and free delivery next day delivery.

That for me is a no brainer, a tried and tested, approved meter, albeit a big one but when you actually compare the size v capability, it's not so bad. It was not that long ago that an Avo 8 or a Simpson analogue meter would be considered the pinnacle of metering and all the modern DMM's are way smaller than both of those analogue ones, far more accurate and do so many more things as well.

I still think that the 121GW will be a great meter once all the little bugs are resolved but I still can't help but think that it does seem to be over priced especially when stacked up against a Brymen like the 867 / 869 which have the CAT IV 1000v rating.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 11:18:38 am by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104 on: August 16, 2018, 11:03:09 am »
The 121GW isn't out of stock: https://www.welectron.com/EEVBlog-121GW-Data-Logging-Multimeter-with-Bluetooth
Well I guess it depends on where you go, I checked here, the most logical place first I would have thought https://www.eevblog.com/product/121gw/

Some mark up! 40 quid! That's near quarter of the price of the meter again, Greedy cunts!!
Not sure if you were serious or not...  But 300 AUD (excluding GST i.e. taxes) is about equal to 191.80EUR (excluding VAT i.e. taxes).. welectron sells at 200.84€ (excluding taxes).. I'd think about 9 euros can be considered decent enough markup.

Or were you referring to the government (which gets the VAT of about 40 euros) with that "Greedy cunts"? Or the population and companies of the country who gets (share of) the benefits from that tax, eventually?

Nope, I was deadly serious!

300 aud = 171 quid!    238 euros = 210 quid!   40 quids difference  = greedy cunts!  I used online calculators so I take it they are close enough?

Read again.  Aussie price is 300 AUD (191.85 €) VAT free.  If you import from AU, you will have to pay VAT on import ( In DE it is 19%) and some import duty. So end user price will be 228 € plus import duties (10ish € i guess). So I don't think they have much markup at all.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #105 on: August 16, 2018, 11:45:33 am »
There is VAT and there is import duty, they are separate and at least VAT will be charged.

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106 on: August 16, 2018, 12:02:25 pm »
There is VAT and there is import duty, they are separate and at least VAT will be charged.
Sorry Simon, my English...

There are import duties ( that as are import taxes so to speak) and import fees (it is a fee to import agent for their services).
It gets all charged to me on a same invoice by agent, so I call that "import duties" altogether.

I don't think there are import duties on measurement equipment in my country, but I always have to pay import procedure fees. On small stuff it's  around 10-12  € ..

But details doesn't matter. Fact is, Welectron price for GW121 is fair, and you can't save if you order directly..

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #107 on: August 16, 2018, 02:54:18 pm »
Yes here we pay around £10 to the courier then 20% VAT and sometimes import duty which often is a small symbolic amount like £5.

With main suppliers (Dave) and distributors you usually try to make all he prices even or no one will buy from the distributors.

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #108 on: August 16, 2018, 10:40:33 pm »
Sorry Simon, my English...

There are import duties ( that as are import taxes so to speak) and import fees (it is a fee to import agent for their services).
It gets all charged to me on a same invoice by agent, so I call that "import duties" altogether.

I don't think there are import duties on measurement equipment in my country, but I always have to pay import procedure fees. On small stuff it's  around 10-12  € ..

But details doesn't matter. Fact is, Welectron price for GW121 is fair, and you can't save if you order directly..

LOL! So not so smart after all?

I’ll If your gonna try and make me look dumb for a simple mistake at least try not to make the same mistake yourself!

Hilarious!! 🤡

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #109 on: August 16, 2018, 11:11:23 pm »
I think bugi explained the matter very friendly. You were the one who was a little bit over the top.

If you look back you’ll see at the end of his first reply he stated that in fact I may be the greedy so and so so maybe not so friendly friendly as you say.
Makes me feel 100% better knowing everyone involved in pointing out how I made a simple mistake also did the exact same mistake. A simple one!

Awesome! 👻

I will hear or say no more on the matter! Seems like.....ah forget it..... 👅

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110 on: August 16, 2018, 11:12:08 pm »

LOL! So not so smart after all?

I’ll If your gonna try and make me look dumb for a simple mistake at least try not to make the same mistake yourself!

Hilarious!!

I simply stated you need to recalculate because you made error. Errors are OK. You make errors in math, I make errors in English.
And it wasn't so much an error, but a simplification of import process.

I didn't call you stupid, didn't imply it... So I don't understand the reaction. I don't think I'm particularly smart. Just want to be helpful.
I wasn't one that made whole lesson. It was the other guy. And in my opinion he wasn't offensive, just very detailed...

So no, not hilarious when I get called stupid. I kinda don't like it.
I'm not offended, I don't care, I'm old enough.. Just, it's not necessary.
We can work out misunderstandings in a different  way, that's all.

On that note, take care,
Sinisa

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #111 on: August 16, 2018, 11:17:09 pm »

If you look back you’ll see at the end of his first reply he stated that in fact I may be the greedy so and so so maybe not so friendly friendly as you say.
Makes me feel 100% better knowing everyone involved in pointing out how I made a simple mistake also did the exact same mistake. A simple one!

Awesome!
I will hear or say no more on the matter! Seems like.....ah forget it.....

Well, I presumed you didn't calculate correctly and didn't take into account all expenses. Not that you are trying to circumvent the system.
I went and read his response again, and it does seem that he presumed you want to cheat taxes...
I can see how that could tickle you the wrong way..
But I'm not him.

Sinisa

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #112 on: August 16, 2018, 11:32:10 pm »
I think it’s all a bit daft for a simple mistake. We’re all adults,,,,,I think!

Let’s everyone forget it. I was wrong in my calculations. I stand corrected. Sorry it came across I was trying to make anyone feel stupid. That wasn’t my intention. It’s called having a “crack” in Scotland, I know the Irish spell it different before some smart arse picks me us on it. Ha ha! Who knows what that’ll start.

Anyways... it’s all hugged out and the GW121 is cheap at twice that price!

Everyone happy? 🤪

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055, bugi

Offline ov_darknessTopic starter

• Contributor
Re: [SOLVED-BM867]Hard dilemma: GW121 or Brymen BM867s?
« Reply #113 on: November 09, 2018, 07:35:09 pm »
Thanks for all your help!
I bought BM867s.
Its H U G E and A W E S O M E! (that's what she said).
I'm not deaf. My ears are hard to drive.

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza, 2N3055, derree

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114 on: November 09, 2018, 08:33:17 pm »
I bought BM867s.
That's great news, enjoy, how many did you buy then, you said BM867's. Can't help but think that decision took you 2 months to arrive at, boy you are a cautious so and so. :-DD

I still enjoy using mine and everytime I pick it up it reminds just how tough this thing is, it feels like a hammer in your hand, big, heavy and rugged.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 08:35:22 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bugi

• Regular Contributor
  • Hobbyist using the ultra slow and unsure method
« Reply #115 on: November 10, 2018, 09:11:34 am »
I bought BM867s.
That's great news, enjoy, how many did you buy then, you said BM867's. Can't help but think that decision took you 2 months to arrive at, boy you are a cautious so and so. :-DD
Continuing with the joke: It ("BM867s", single, as in this model: https://brymen.eu/shop/bm867s/ ) is so good a unit that it replaces multiple other DMMs (<-plural), so the "s" in the end is justified.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #116 on: November 10, 2018, 10:48:23 am »
I bought BM867s.
Continuing with the joke: It ("BM867s", single, as in this model: https://brymen.eu/shop/bm867s/ ) is so good a unit that it replaces multiple other DMMs (<-plural), so the "s" in the end is justified.
Haha yes I understand, I have a 867s myself but only last night I found myself using no less than 5 meters. One was the Brymen 867s and 4 others, connected to 4 output channels of HiFi amplifier and the 5th used to probe supply rails. You can never have too many meters. [emoji41]
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117 on: November 10, 2018, 10:57:04 am »
Indeed. I stopped running out of DMMs at 5 :). They don’t have to all be decent ones; even a few DT830s go a long way on non safety critical stuff.

If you’re doing forward engineering, power supplies with decent current and voltage monitoring are worth their weight in gold as well.

On the subject of the weight of the BM867 I reckon you could carry it as a weapon.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 10:58:52 am by bd139 »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #118 on: November 10, 2018, 11:16:28 am »
Indeed. I stopped running out of DMMs at 5 :). They don’t have to all be decent ones; even a few DT830s go a long way on non safety critical stuff.

If you’re doing forward engineering, power supplies with decent current and voltage monitoring are worth their weight in gold as well.

On the subject of the weight of the BM867 I reckon you could carry it as a weapon.
Very true with the 867s, I can also add into that category Fluke 25 and 27 both of which I have. So on that basis I'm well armed to the teeth here [emoji2]
Who let Murphy in?

Offline 1anX

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #119 on: December 03, 2018, 11:00:24 pm »
I have just ordered a new BM867s from X-On Australia and am curious if anyone has used the BU-86X USB kit with a PC?

I could not find the comms kit listed on X-On Australia's website and wondering if any has found a reliable and cheap supplier on ebay. Any suggestions on best place to buy from would be appreciated.

I tried getting a price from Oz electrical wholesalers for this meter and was shocked. Cablec is the distributor and to give you some idea of the ridiculous prices asked from the wholesalers, I was quoted $AU660 for the BM867s and $840 for the BM869s!!!!! 

I found X-On Australia by far the best price at $302 for the BM867s and $330inc GST and delivered to the door. I could have also bought from German suppliers on ebay for about the same cost. Definitely pays to shop around for prices locally in Oz.

I have got the 121GW and would have bought a second if the meter had the new PCB and updated hardware, but it seems they are still using up the existing PCBs until the stock runs out. I always wanted to try out the big Brymen so I now have one on its way to add to the collection.

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120 on: December 04, 2018, 12:07:47 am »
I ... am curious if anyone has used the BU-86X USB kit with a PC?

Yes, I have. The included software is a little bit primitive, but it works.

You can also write your own code to program against the interface, but you have to access it as an HID device over USB. It would have been more pleasant if it used a virtual COM port, but it doesn't do that.

I could not find the comms kit listed on X-On Australia's website and wondering if any has found a reliable and cheap supplier on ebay. Any suggestions on best place to buy from would be appreciated.

I got mine from welectron.com. I think you might also find it at tme.eu. I'm not sure how either of those work to Australia though. I have bought from both vendors for shipment to the USA without problems.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 12:15:15 am by IanB »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121 on: December 04, 2018, 12:15:03 am »
Does it work ok on Windows 10?
Who let Murphy in?

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122 on: December 04, 2018, 12:19:40 am »
Does it work ok on Windows 10?

Yes, it does. It seems like a basic C program that uses the native Windows API.

One problem I found is that if you use the supplied installer it cannot save log files due to write protection in the Program Files folder. To fix that I just copied the executable files into a folder in my user space and ran it from there.

Offline 1anX

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #123 on: December 13, 2018, 10:13:52 pm »
I ... am curious if anyone has used the BU-86X USB kit with a PC?

Yes, I have. The included software is a little bit primitive, but it works.

You can also write your own code to program against the interface, but you have to access it as an HID device over USB. It would have been more pleasant if it used a virtual COM port, but it doesn't do that.

I got mine from welectron.com. I think you might also find it at tme.eu. I'm not sure how either of those work to Australia though. I have bought from both vendors for shipment to the USA without problems.

I got the USB interface and it works fine on Win 10. I was thinking of looking to interface it to BLE using an ESP32 module since the library is available for HID BLE.

Any ideas if its already been done?

I dont really need it, but it could make an interesting project. I haven't programmed anything using BT yet and the BM 86X series are pretty popular meters, others may be interested?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf