Author Topic: Have you seen a meter this low end before?  (Read 2729 times)

Offline jayjr1105Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Have you seen a meter this low end before?
« on: February 15, 2018, 09:33:37 pm »
Pro'sKit meter that came with my new Telephone Butt Set for work.  Laughable, however one of the nicest green backlights I've ever seen...

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
Re: Have you seen a meter this low end before?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 11:41:23 pm »
Want!

Offline 0xdeadbeef

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 11:49:33 pm »
A 200mA current range?
Wow. Just wow.
Trying is the first step towards failure - Homer J. Simpson

Offline lowimpedance

• Super Contributor
  • Watts in an ohm?
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 12:00:26 am »
 At least its fused... :P  , even if its the wrong size for the clips. And I guess it doesn't pretend to be anything else ..!.

The croc clips would be worth more  :-DD.
The odd multimeter or 2 or 3 or 4...or........can't remember !.

Offline Muxr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 12:02:29 am »
You have to admire the simplicity though. It doesn't pretend to be a proper DMM.. it just is what it is. I like it.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2018, 12:16:12 am »
Two inputs to help with A/V screwups
Nice backlight
Does not try to BS with fake CAT ratings
Very compact
Quite admirable.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Holes Flow

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 12:18:24 am »
What struck me was, "Why have a selection switch when you have separate leads plugs? :)

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2018, 12:22:23 am »
What struck me was, "Why have a selection switch when you have separate leads plugs? :)

For the on/off function and it makes it look more like a typical meter. 

No CAT rating and no CE mark.  Wish we saw more realist markings like this.

Offline N0NB

• Contributor
  • Amateur radio op; electronics dabbler
    • N0NB.us
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2018, 01:31:39 am »
Considering it is included for telephone work, it's probably only intended to measure talk battery on lines, nominally -48VDC.  Surprising that there isn't an AC range to measure ringing voltage which is typically 100VAC.  The 200mA range is likely intended for measuring the current draw of a "standard" telephone instrument which, as I recall, was around 60mA DC.

For the occasional work with POTS (Plain Old Telephone Service) circuits, the meter combined with the butt set will allow quite a bit of troubleshooting.
- Nate

The optimist proclaims we live in the best of all possible worlds.  The pessimist fears this is true.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2018, 09:04:25 am »
A 200mA current range?
Wow. Just wow.

Nothing wrong with that.

I own meters with a 200mA range, it's probably do to the number of counts and the fact that the next step up would be 2 amps.

Considering it is included for telephone work, it's probably only intended to measure talk battery on lines, nominally -48VDC.  Surprising that there isn't an AC range to measure ringing voltage which is typically 100VAC.  The 200mA range is likely intended for measuring the current draw of a "standard" telephone instrument which, as I recall, was around 60mA DC.

I looked on their web site and they don't seem to sell it separately.

Offline jayjr1105Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2018, 03:34:07 pm »
A 200mA current range?
Wow. Just wow.

Nothing wrong with that.

I own meters with a 200mA range, it's probably do to the number of counts and the fact that the next step up would be 2 amps.

I looked on their web site and they don't seem to sell it separately.
Yeah, it came in a kit. You can buy the kit and sell the butt set on eBay for likely the same price as the kit.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2018, 04:00:45 pm »
Nice clear digits and fairly large given the size of the meter, surprised it doesn't have a continuity or resistance range though. I like the way that it does not even pretend to a proper multimeter though I'd like to have seen a warning on it somewhere about what ranges it was for.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2018, 04:12:05 pm »
Nice clear digits and fairly large given the size of the meter, surprised it doesn't have a continuity or resistance range though. I like the way that it does not even pretend to a proper multimeter though I'd like to have seen a warning on it somewhere about what ranges it was for.

It's obviously made for a very specific function. That's what makes it interesting.

It has a bigger brother:

But... not the same. :-//
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 04:15:18 pm by Fungus »

Offline Kalvin

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded SW/HW.
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2018, 04:33:11 pm »
What chip inside? Wonder when we will see first EEPROM hacks / Relative and hold hacks / Temperature hack / Serial and wireless connection hacks. Will this beat Fluke? :)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 04:35:05 pm by Kalvin »

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2018, 05:24:31 pm »

It's obviously made for a very specific function. That's what makes it interesting.

It has a bigger brother:

But... not the same. :-//
IMHO that belongs to a different league, though. The first one is more like a "tester", while this one's intention is to be a full DMM - and the CATIII 600V rating kinda spoils it for me (although I can't prove otherwise). It has its charms, though. 
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline IDEngineer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2018, 06:57:04 pm »
A 200mA current range? Wow. Just wow.
Nothing wrong with that. I own meters with a 200mA range, it's probably do to the number of counts and the fact that the next step up would be 2 amps.
I happen to have a genuine Fluke 16 DMM and it maxes out at 200uA (MICROamps) on AC and DC current.

Just depends on what the meter is intended to do. The one that is the topic of this thread clearly has a very narrow applications range!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf