Author Topic: Help! Owon SDS7102V screen issues after sitting unused for a year.  (Read 3565 times)

Offline HossTopic starter

Sorry this is my first post. Lurked around about a year ago reading about scopes and based on what I read here (EEVBlog was a great resource!), I picked up an Owon SDS7102V.

I used it about 4 times the first couple days I had it, worked great. Put it back in its case and packed it up (very securely) and moved a couple days later. At the new house, I put it in a storage closet (still in its bag) where it sat untouched until tonight.

I plugged it in and turned it on and the screen was flicking. I left it on while I did some searching online about the problem, maybe 30 minutes. I started to type this post and while writing, the screen got very washed out. As I looked at it, it turned solid white. I rebooted it, I unplugged it for a few minutes, etc. Now, it keeps randomly (from 10 seconds to 2 minutes) goes from working (but flicking screen) to a locked up screen that fades to white. See video below.

During one of the moments it was working (but flicking), I enabled VGA and hooked it up to a monitor. The monitor works fine all the time, no matter what craziness the Owon screen is doing. So this does seem to be a screen issue only.

Is this a known issue? What can I do to resolve this, where should I start looking? TIA!!

About says its Series 1334254 and Version 3.0.

Here is a video of what the screen is doing now...

Offline Zizzle

Re: Help! Owon SDS7102V screen issues after sitting unused for a year.
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 03:06:49 pm »
I had a similar issue.

Contact OWON. They sent me a redesigned replacement power supply.

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 03:16:05 am »
Oh that would be nice, I'll contact them. Thanks!

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 02:23:05 am »
In case anyone comes across this thread with the same issue.

After sending videos and photos to Owon and several emails back and forth, they said they thought it looked like a bad connection on the display ribbon cable. They asked me to reseat it. So I took it apart and unplugged the cable and put it back in. Didn't work the first two times, but 3rd time it worked. Display is back to normal. Been running a couple hours without any glitches or anything. Will see how it works long term, but glad it's working at the moment.

Actually, looking at the photo (taken before I unplugged it) as I was posting it to this thread, it looks like the locking bar is not fully seated on the left side. So maybe that was it and it will be fine now.

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 05:58:19 am »
Your picture show it. It is factory assembly error.  This kind of assembly quality can not accept at all.

When repair this it need note that this type of connector is very easy fragile and it really need be extremely clean.
If need disassembly,  remove this silicone enough so that connector can close perfectly,  then need carefully check there is not any residues inside connector and cable both surfaces (also bottom side is important but I do not eplain why (too long).

Ribbon cable need be assembled exactly straight and fully inside and ribbon cable connection surface need be clean without dust or fingerprints or other dirt. If need connector cleaning  I recommend isopropyl alcohol (IPA). Perhaps best solution is 20% distilled water and 80% pure lab grade IPA. Also accepted is professional grade "Video head cleaner".

And for Owon Company readers:

Assembly procedure quality control need be better inside factory (not only for this cable but overall). If factory worker is loosy and not motivated for +100% assembly quality then just kick out - he can go to play mahjong, there is available enough workers who want do perfect work. But you need find them and then build sprit "I want do it better". Cheap not motivated worker is most expensive.

Working culture inside factory need develop better. There is lot of examples, even after Owon have developed quaality but perfect level is still far away and not only in Owon factory. Same for Rigol, same for Siglent and same for nearly all chinese factories  Every worker need understand it starting from cleaning employee up to chairman. It is a long, difficult and rocky road, but it is forced to pass - or lose.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 07:17:28 am by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline mswhin63

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 11:24:53 am »
Designed failure to service or replace something. Spenda the money

Offline GEuser

• Frequent Contributor
  • Is Leaving
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2014, 03:25:07 pm »
I still despise having to switch mine on (every time too!) ...

I loath that thing  :--
Soon

Offline mswhin63

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2014, 04:35:25 pm »
I seem to be fairly lucky (touch wood), mine is working OK for its price, screen update is about the only thing that is poor. Apart from that it is performing well. Even the noise level is reasonably low compared to some posts I have seen.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf