Author Topic: Help to choose function generator.  (Read 8057 times)

Offline amxTopic starter

• Contributor
Help to choose function generator.
« on: February 25, 2018, 01:22:58 pm »
Hello all.
I want to buy functional/ARB generator, to my home lab.
This will be my first generator.
After viewing and read more reviews I identified three models:
Siglent SDG2042X;
Siglent SDG1032X;
Rigol DG1022Z;
As I understand best choose it Siglent SDG2042X but $500 to expensive to me, and I must collects money for buy it much more time.
But I not sure that 1.2GSa/s, 16bit and wide frequency really need for me.
If choosing between Siglent SDG1032X and Rigol DG1022Z if compare specs Rigol has better params.
And also Rigol DG1022Z cost $360US therefore I need less time to collect money and buy it  :)
Please clarify me for best choose, now I'm looking more to the side Rigol.
Main application that I will use this generator it microcontrollers devices with AD/DA converters and mixed signals and DSP, without RF application or strongly analog circuits.

Thank you all.

Best regards.

Offline Ghislain

• Regular Contributor
Re: Help to choose function generator.
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 03:50:12 pm »
There is comparison between the Rigol and Siglent units you are after here:
To cut a long story short, the Siglent SDG1032X is recommended over the Rigol DG1022Z

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 06:50:32 pm »
There is comparison between the Rigol and Siglent units you are after here:
To cut a long story short, the Siglent SDG1032X is recommended over the Rigol DG1022Z

There is lot of things wrong in this compare.

But first, he do not compare at all Rigoil DS1022Z. He is using old ancient DG1022 what is very very different if look Z models.

About Siglent SDG1032X.
Its square wave is not at all this crap what he show in video. Why do video test if do not even understand how to connect signal to oscilloscope and then wondering why it looks terrible. He is connecting square wave what have around 3ns rise time to oscilloscope 1M  input what also have capacitive reactance typically 15pF (+/- 3pF).

DG1022Z have some good things over Siglent SDG1000X models but also then Siglent have things over this Rigol and not only one. Buyer need think what are important things to just his use and then weight these disadvantages and adwantages for just his own needs.  Looking only specifications it can not do, because there is things what can not directly read in specs sheed.

Siglent specialities are specially in pulses (pulse rise and fall times are independently adjustabe and independent of period time. Also pulse width can adjust with very fine resolution, also in very long period and pulse times). Other special is square wave. SDG1000X have new Square wave circuit what example SDG2000X do not have (it have older system). In both of these areas Siglent beats these Rigols clearly. Both models 32X ands 62X have same hardware. 62X model can full 60MHz square wave. Only generator in this AWG class what can do it as far as I know.

Which other is better, depends buyer/user individual needs and what weight these needs set for different features and perfomance in these.

I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

The following users thanked this post: amx, alm, Synthtech

Offline amxTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 11:29:24 pm »
Thank you for advice!
I was readed more topics forum, and now I see that SDG1032X has a waveform better than Rigol, but I not sure about memory, SDG1032X has a 16K points, Rigol DS1022X has 2M points. I think that ability of play a captured wave from oscilloscope or play wave from Matlab it is useful mode. And than a memory deeps more, than more time wave may be reproduced. But it is only my opinion, I do not have generator and I not use this mode before.

Offline ChrisG

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 03:40:20 pm »
Buy the SDG2042X, you will not regret it!

Offline MarkF

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 04:13:13 pm »
I don't have a function generator yet. When I was looking at them, a feature the attracted me was that you can transfer a signal from a Rigol Scope to the Rigol Function Generator and replay it. It's up to you to determine if that's a capability you would use.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2018, 08:49:22 am »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: chipss

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2018, 11:04:28 am »
Quick question, in comparison to the SDG1000X series, the SDG2000X series; are these the major differences?

Max frequency: 1000 = 60 MHz, 2000 = 120 MHz
Samples: 1000 = 150 MSp/s, 2000 = 1.2 GSa/s
Resolution: 1000 = 14 bits, 2000 = 16 bits
Touch Screen: 1000 = No, 2000 = Yes

Have I missed anything of note?
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

Offline rhb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2018, 02:44:02 pm »
On a limited budget you should take a hard look at the FY-6600 and JDS-6600.  There are long threads about the pros and cons and a *very* active thread of people hacking the FY-6600 including writing new firmware.  Most of the UI is written and an FPGA designer has joined the group, though he's going on vacation and won't be able to participate significantly until the end of the month.

There are spectrum analyzer plots around pages 12-14 of the FY-6600 thread.  The performance is remarkably good for an instrument for ~ $100 US.

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2018, 03:32:38 pm »
I placed an order for the SDG2042X with Saelig on 2/27/18 (9 days ago) and still no sign of shipment and vague promises of when it might ship.

So I cancelled the order and went with the Rigol DG1022Z from Tequipment.net (Saelig had no stock of this either). That order is placed and confirmed, Tequipment have stock and will ship today, great price after eevblog discount.

I hope think I'm going to be happy with this choice.  I have a 4GHz Agilent E4433B ESG-D w Opt 100 1E5 200 for RF work which has got the dual AWG option.  I like the review on the DS1022Z and I particularly like the way it can capture an AWG waveform from a Rigol scope :D

Offline chipss

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2018, 08:16:30 pm »
Placed an order for a SDG2042X.  And was warned about the wait times, thanks megadepot!
But the abilities to upgrade to the sdg20eevblog, is worth waiting for imho.
And so I wait.

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2018, 08:38:47 pm »
Placed an order for a SDG2042X.  And was warned about the wait times, thanks megadepot!
But the abilities to upgrade to the sdg20eevblog, is worth waiting for imho.
And so I wait.
I have the high end covered and, for 99% of my needs, the DG1022Z will meet my needs plus it was 40% cheaper than the SDG2042X and I have had no problems with Rigol gear in the past - I've got 2 Rigol scopes, a DG4062, and a DP832.
When I spoke to them today, Saelig said they were expecting a delivery from Siglent "this week" but they told me that last week too.

Offline chipss

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2018, 07:58:43 pm »
China takes the new year holiday serous! Lots of stuff is backed up right now,
Even simple jfets. Microphone body’s, ...it’s all backed up. Not the best time for time sensitive orders that’s for sure. Is what it is. Party on china!
It’s almost a ford Chevy thing,  or what features fit your needs best at what price point.
10 years ago, all I could do is dream of test gear like this.
Don’t think you could go wrong with any of the choices listed, nice to have a community to sort this all out.

Offline technogeeky

• Frequent Contributor
  • Older New "New Player" Player Playa'
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2018, 08:48:01 pm »
China takes the new year holiday serous! Lots of stuff is backed up right now,
Even simple jfets. Microphone body’s, ...it’s all backed up. Not the best time for time sensitive orders that’s for sure. Is what it is. Party on china!
It’s almost a ford Chevy thing,  or what features fit your needs best at what price point.
10 years ago, all I could do is dream of test gear like this.
Don’t think you could go wrong with any of the choices listed, nice to have a community to sort this all out.

For the past few years, this has made me wonder if the Chinese government is going to consider shortening CNY celebrations because of economic disadvantage.

Offline amxTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2018, 02:13:26 pm »
Hi all, I am a sorry that not responding in thread a long time, finally I got SDG2042X from local distributor.
Thanks all for advice.

The following users thanked this post: Mr. Scram

Offline ChrisG

• Supporter
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2018, 07:56:55 pm »
Tell us what you think. When you’re ready todo so of course

Offline Old Printer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2018, 08:01:35 pm »
There is a Siglent SDG1062X 60Mhz model for sale in our classified section for $285. I do not know the seller, but it is a current listing.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2018, 08:54:32 pm »
Tell us what you think. When you’re ready todo so of course
They're good units and have a big thread all about them here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/the-siglent-sdg2042x-thread/

There is a Siglent SDG1062X 60Mhz model for sale in our classified section for $285. I do not know the seller, but it is a current listing.
Yeah but it's not a 1062X. It's a liberated 1032X as the listing implies.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/buysellwanted/(fs)-(us)-like-new-siglent-sdg1032x-awg-60mhz-dual-channel/

BillB replaced it with 2042X and I bet he's liberated that too.  :)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2018, 09:32:20 pm »
BillB replaced it with 2042X and I bet he's liberated that too.  :)

Yes, yes I have!  The SDG1032X is still looking for a good home, but it looks like the OP is covered.  :-+

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2018, 11:12:49 pm »
My DG1022Z is good but some may be concerned about the small screen.  It's basically the same functionality as my DG4062 DG4162 but the screen is about 1/4 the size; I need my reading glasses to work it but I did just have eye surgery.

Offline ChrisG

• Supporter
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2018, 12:53:49 pm »

They're good units and have a big thread all about them here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/the-siglent-sdg2042x-thread/

I know... I own one since 1.5 years and very pleased with it. As a simple, still starting, hobbyist it's more then I can wish for. Although I am a sucker for quality and overspeccing things for my needs.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf