Author Topic: Help to chose 4 oscilloscopes for 2500usd togeather.  (Read 14085 times)

Offline BMOETopic starter

Help to chose 4 oscilloscopes for 2500usd togeather.
« on: May 02, 2016, 12:30:17 pm »
Hi.
I have got a task from my boss to chose 4 oscilloscopes with a budget of 2500usd for all of them. I know that it's a tough price and my first question was if it was 2500usd each, but it wasn't.
Prefferably two of them can be a bit better and the two others a bit worse :)
Do you have any suggestions of best bang for the buck?

Regards
/Matias

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
Re: Help to chose 4 oscilloscopes for 2500usd togeather.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 12:47:39 pm »
"Best bang Per Buck" is easy: The Rigol DS1054Z

But you'd have $900 left over - we can't have that, can we?

If we split the difference two ways you can buy two DS1054Zs and two others for $850 each. There really isn't much in the $850 price range that's a whole lot better than the DS1054Z.

Maybe better to get three DS1054Zs and spend $1300 on something else. With $1300 you can go up to the next level in bandwidth and screen size but you won't get many bells or whistles.

Maybe it would be good to have an idea of what they'll be used for.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 01:38:20 pm by Fungus »

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 12:53:41 pm »
The $1300 ballpark gets you a 4 channel GW Instek GDS2000E series. Perhaps you could make a package deal with a test equipment dealer. However the risk of buyer 1 good and 3 bad oscilloscopes is that the 3 bad ones will be left in a corner and people fight for the good oscilloscope.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 01:37:32 pm »
The $1300 ballpark gets you a 4 channel GW Instek GDS2000E series. Perhaps you could make a package deal with a test equipment dealer. However the risk of buyer 1 good and 3 bad oscilloscopes is that the 3 bad ones will be left in a corner and people fight for the good oscilloscope.

I wouldn't describe the DS1054Z as "bad", it does a fine job of being a 4-channel general purpose oscilloscope.

But yeah, there's a danger of one person monopolizing the more expensive scope and causing interpersonal tensions in the office.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 01:52:28 pm »
Maybe you can split it between "different" 'scopes, not better/worse.

eg. Two Rigol DS1054Zs and two R&S HMO1002s.

A (hacked) DS1054Z will have more channels and bandwidth than the R&S, the R&S will be smaller and cuter than the Rigol.

Some people will prefer one, some will prefer the other - less overall fighting!  :popcorn:

Offline borjam

• Supporter
  • EA2EKH
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 01:53:42 pm »
I wouldn't describe the DS1054Z as "bad", it does a fine job of being a 4-channel general purpose oscilloscope.
Depending on your purpose it can be terrible or terrific. The devil is in the details ;)

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 08:24:51 pm »
Hi.
I have got a task from my boss to chose 4 oscilloscopes with a budget of 2500usd for all of them. I know that it's a tough price and my first question was if it was 2500usd each, but it wasn't.
Prefferably two of them can be a bit better and the two others a bit worse :)
Do you have any suggestions of best bang for the buck?

Regards
/Matias
Welcome to the forum BMOE

For accurate recommendations we need more info to help with your selection.
4 general bench DSO's?
BW?
# channels?

General description of the type of duties they will need to fulfill.

Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline BMOETopic starter

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2016, 05:27:40 am »
We have products which use very high frequency stuff, like USB3, 10Gbe, PCIe gen3 and so on, and of cource we can not use these DSOs for that so yes, it would be general purpose, measuring DC-DC ripple, rise/fall times and so on. Most of the times we only need one channel, but atleast one DSO with 4ch would be nice.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2016, 06:49:01 am »
it would be general purpose, measuring DC-DC ripple, rise/fall times and so on.

There's two whole cans of worms, right there...  :popcorn:

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2016, 07:00:37 am »
We have products which use very high frequency stuff, like USB3, 10Gbe, PCIe gen3 and so on, and of cource we can not use these DSOs for that so yes, it would be general purpose, measuring DC-DC ripple, rise/fall times and so on. Most of the times we only need one channel, but atleast one DSO with 4ch would be nice.
Surely your boss would've given you some guidelines.....or are specs up to you?  :-//
Without a better idea of what you'd like I wonder if he's setting you up for a fall.  :scared:

IMO for lab/repair shop general purpose use BW should be 100+ MHz.
Would you need things like Decode, Function Gen or MSO ?
If you do and HV work a 400V input rated DSO could also be worth considering.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Martini

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2016, 11:58:00 am »
Hum...
1 "refurbished" analog Tektronix
3 Rigol

No?

The following users thanked this post: IslamIslame

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
  • Able to drop by occasionally only
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2016, 12:09:39 pm »
3 Rigol

Seriously? How about

0 analog boat anchors that have been obsolete for almost two decades now and are pretty much unsupportable, plus lack even the most basic features found in any DSO like storage or measurements?
4 Rigols

Rigol scopes aren't exactly stellar but even the cheap-ass DS1054z is a much more capable scope than any old analog banger.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 12:14:45 pm by Wuerstchenhund »

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2016, 12:34:30 pm »
4x 2 channel GDS-2072E GW instek. There is a discount right now on them. http://www.tequipment.net/Instek/GDS-2072E/Digital-Oscilloscopes/?v=0 Various decodiong options already there so no need for hacking (unlikely that company will bother with this crap) or buying options to get a decent functionality. Or add a bit of money and get 4 x 4CH ones. Where are you located BTW, USA?
DS1054z are popular because of hacking bandwidth and decode options but it is not a very good scope IMO, especially for a company.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 12:37:03 pm by wraper »

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2016, 12:49:14 pm »
Hum...
3 Rigol

No?

I'll go with "No".

0 analog boat anchors that have been obsolete for almost two decades now and are pretty much unsupportable, plus lack even the most basic features found in any DSO like storage or measurements?
4 Rigols

Sounds like a better option to me.

Me? I'd get one DS1054Z for evaluation. Check it out, try it for a week on your signals, see if it's up to the job (it most likely is).

Then take it from there. You might end up just buying 4 of them, you might end up with 3 of those and one more expensive one. The point is you haven't committed all your budget to a single decision without trying something first.

DS1054z are popular because of hacking bandwidth and decode options but it is not a very good scope IMO, especially for a company.

In what way are GW instek any better?

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2016, 01:07:53 pm »
In almost every way. Faster response. 1mpts FFT (FFT in 1000Z is a joke), more waveforms per second. Better true sensitivity. Decoding already included. No crapxon in the PSU, japanese caps instead.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2016, 01:21:05 pm »
In almost every way.
Every way, except... less bandwidth, less channels, less memory, no trigger out, no graduated display, no fine horizontal/vertical settings ... and all the other ways listed here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/gw-instek-gds-2000e-released/

Obviously it's going to be better at some things - it costs more even with a special sale price, but it's not miraculously better. I'm more interested in why you claim the DS1054z is a bad scope "for a company". What does a company have to do with it?

(And why wouldn't the R&S scopes score higher than GW-I in all your criteria for a similar price?)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 02:11:37 pm by Fungus »

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2016, 02:53:10 pm »
In almost every way. Faster response. 1mpts FFT (FFT in 1000Z is a joke), more waveforms per second. Better true sensitivity. Decoding already included. No crapxon in the PSU, japanese caps instead.
And lets not forget: higher samplerate and no bugs! IMHO you should get a scope which is bug free (at least without the ridiculous bugs the DS1000Z series has) in a professional environment otherwise people will end up chasing ghosts especially if they aren't daily oscilloscope users. Measurement results should be reliable otherwise a scope will cost more than it's own purchase price quickly. For a company a tool must make money!

@Fungus: the GDS2000E series has intensity grading. You can actually adjust that in several ways by setting the intensity and fade-out time!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 03:03:36 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2016, 03:13:34 pm »
@Fungus: the GDS2000E series has intensity grading. You can actually adjust that in several ways by setting the intensity and fade-out time!

This kind of intensity grading...well well..

Then also old Owon SDS7102 have.

Up to this time I have think variable fade out time persistence and intensity gradient display is bit different things...but always learn new things.

I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2016, 04:14:53 pm »

This kind of intensity grading...well well..

Then also old Owon SDS7102 have.

Up to this time I have think variable fade out time persistence and intensity gradient display is bit different things
From a functional point of view intensity grading and persistence are very closely related. Both keep multiple past acquisitions on screen for a while.

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2016, 04:39:30 pm »
The DS1054Z has intensity grading or am I missing some aspect of it that's being referred to?

Regarding FFT, perhaps I'm in a minority, but practically speaking I find the FFT feature on pretty much any scope I've used is of limited value. Nice to look at, and occasionally useful, but generally I find it remains unused: I think it's mostly a rather overrated feature for real life use.

Happy to be educated on why I should be using the FFT on a scope instead of a spec an.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2016, 04:50:10 pm »
Happy to be educated on why I should be using the FFT on a scope instead of a spec an.
FFT on a scope will work from DC so it is usable for low frequency measurements where a typical spectrum analyser starts from 9kHz or more. I have used this to measure the frequency response of communications related gear. I have also used FFT to look at the spectrum of part of a signal in order to understand which part of a signal causes an EMC problem. In this case time domain and frequency domain where very much intertwined.

Offline borjam

• Supporter
  • EA2EKH
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2016, 05:00:20 pm »
The DS1054Z has intensity grading or am I missing some aspect of it that's being referred to?
It does, although a bit limited. Especially the infinite persistence mode can be useful to spot glitches and judge the presence of jitter and its maximum magnitude, although the limited grading will limit its value to assess which are the most common occuring values or shapes, which can be much easier in scopes with 256 levels, and, especially, in those which use different colors to create a sort of "heat map".

Regarding FFT, perhaps I'm in a minority, but practically speaking I find the FFT feature on pretty much any scope I've used is of limited value. Nice to look at, and occasionally useful, but generally I find it remains unused: I think it's mostly a rather overrated feature for real life use.

The FFT in these Chinese scopes is mostly a "check-box" thing. But look at the FFT available in higher end scopes and it can indeed be useful. My other DSO is a venerable LeCroy 9400 which I must recap, and it has an awesome FFT. True, calculating it can take even 30 seconds (yikes!) but you can get really detail information from it. It shouldn't be difficult for Rigol to replicate that, given the speed offered by the processors in these modern DSOs (the 9400 has a Motorola 68000) but, well, it seems they won't bother.

The 9400 lets you choose the number of points, wether you want the modulus, real or imaginary part, etc. Yep, the Physics background it quite apparent ;)

Although an 8 bit converter has a very limited resolution, a good FFT can help you spot distortion problems, for instance.

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2016, 05:05:50 pm »
FFT on a scope will work from DC so it is usable for low frequency measurements where a typical spectrum analyser starts from 9kHz or more. I have used this to measure the frequency response of communications related gear. I have also used FFT to look at the spectrum of part of a signal in order to understand which part of a signal causes an EMC problem. In this case time domain and frequency domain where very much intertwined.

I guess I don't do much down at audio to need to worry about that ;-) but equally the first thing that comes to mind is to use a sound card solution which would have far greater resolution and dynamic range although granted not as convenient. I guess that's my point really: the FFT offerings on scopes are typically low in terms of resolution and dynamic range, and a scope's noise floor is very high. For EMC, I can't imagine ever using a scope instead of an SA myself, for the reasons I just mentioned. The only time I've used the FFT function on a scope recently for real work is on the NCO peripheral in a PIC, but even then I ended up using an SA.

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
  • Able to drop by occasionally only
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2016, 05:07:40 pm »

I guess this is because you've never used a scope with a proper FFT implementation, and it's true that especially on many entry-level scopes FFT pretty much sucks.

Aside from getting a spectrum of very low frequency signals (most SA's start at 9kHz or even in the MHz range), FFT can be useful for analyzing pulsed and or frequency hopping signals which a conventional swept SA often has problem capturing because of the band sweep and the low dwell time (which a modern SA gets around by using - FFT  ;) ).

A good(!) scope is also more flexible in terms of frequency resolutions, which on most SAs are usually limited to fixed settings at between 10Hz and 5MHz while FFT on the scope can go below 1Hz or way beyond 5MHz (which helps analyzing wide bandwidth signals).

The main reason however is that FFT is part of the scope, i.e. you don't need another device to look at the frequency domain. And not everyone has a spectrum analyzer.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2016, 05:16:31 pm »
Every way, except... less bandwidth
You need to hack 1054Z first (usually no go for a company), otherwise instek has more bandwidth.
less memory
Well, unless you hack 1054Z, they are on par with single channel used. If using multiple, GDS-2000E beats it as it has 10Mpts per channel. Also that memory in Rigol is not so usefull at all. Sample rate in GW instek also does not drop when multiple channels used.
I'm more interested in why you claim the DS1054z is a bad scope "for a company". What does a company have to do with it?
Unless you hack it, there are no goodies because of which people buy it. If compared with not hacked DS-1054Z, you can buy instek GDS-1054B scope as well. It will be certainly better than not hacked DS-1054Z with the same price.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf