Author Topic: Help with voltmeter selection  (Read 793 times)

Offline waveTopic starter

Help with voltmeter selection
« on: October 05, 2018, 05:15:26 pm »
Hello everyone!
I'm working on some condenser microphones and I need some advice about using a DMM or maybe some guidance to a different meter for measuring the high impedance areas in the units.
Specifically the polarization voltage at the microphone capsule. My standard Fluke DMM loads these points down so I can't get a "real" reading and I just can't seem to research this and figure it out on my own...
I need some help!!!!

Thanks,
Dave

Offline HKJ

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
Re: Help with voltmeter selection
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 07:29:04 pm »
That sound very expensive to measure, you need an electrometer!
All normal mutimeters are around 10Mohm input impedance, bench meters can be much higher at low voltage (<10V more or less). When you need to measure higher voltage without loading the source it is expensive.

Offline waveTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 08:16:31 pm »
Thanks HKJ,
Yeah I kinda figured that was one of the possibilities. I bought an old Keithly 610BR from ebay but it needs some love.
I don't have the money to buy a new electrometer. Are there any tricks with using a regular 10M input DMM and maybe a series resistor + math?

Thanks,
Dave

Offline HKJ

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 08:26:56 pm »
The idea behind measuring high voltage without loading it is to have a high voltage source and measure the voltage between the source and the unknown voltage, when it is zero, you can just measure your high voltage source.
This is how a electrometer works and you can do it without a electrometer if you have a adjustable high voltage source and the patience to do it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf