Author Topic: High power supply for small electric power trains?  (Read 1434 times)

Offline LaurentRTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
High power supply for small electric power trains?
« on: February 24, 2018, 02:12:10 am »
I already have a bench supply (DP832), but it runs out of power for some of my RC power-train based projects I have (RC cars, robots, skateboard e.g. with VESC).

It'll be difficult to fully replace battery packs, but I'd like something that can replace batteries in low-ish load conditions, so we're talking 0-60V if possible (12S) - down to 30V could be acceptable (6S) and at least 10A, for a total of at least 300W, ideally 600W or more. I'd love something that's SCPI capable (USB, LXI), but would settle for something without.

I have been looking at some of the switching PS like the BK Precision 190xB ($650, 900W). Are these of good quality? Anything else of decent quality and possibly somewhat cheaper?

Offline Marco

• Super Contributor
Re: High power supply for small electric power trains?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 03:18:34 am »

The following users thanked this post: LaurentR

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 04:56:16 am »
Gophert CPS 6017?

Wow, looks like a pretty good option (especially at $170 on AE). I checked the options, but they all seem to be 220V, no 110V  :(

Offline Marco

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 10:01:25 am »
There is a dodgy alternative ...

Offline alm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 11:37:32 am »
If you want something less dodgy, you could consider buying an old HP switching system power supply like this one that goes up to 1 kW (currently on eBay for $300 + shipping, no affiliation with the seller). You'll have to forego USB/LXI, but they are programmable through an external analog voltage source. For the slightly more modern models like the HP 6032A, you can use GPIB to program them. If you are patient, you should be able to find better deals.

Bigger than those ones from AE/BG, but should be much more reliable and obviously much higher quality. Also pretty sure these are higher quality than the BK Precision ones.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 06:36:35 am »
Gophert CPS 6017?

It turns out they can make a 110V version of the CPS-6017, you just have to ask  ;D
I just got mine, US$220 shipped to the US.

Except for the potent solvent smell (not sure of what - I am letting gas out for a few days), it seems to work like a charm. I couldn't test all 1000W of it (my load can take only 300W), but it seemed to be doing just fine, with no noticeable heating up and the fan running at a very reasonable level. V and A measurements seemed to be pretty good.

The only odd thing with this supply is that it uses 5mm banana jacks, which is uncommon (I had some from my RC cars and they worked fine).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf