Author Topic: High voltage oscilloscope probes  (Read 8050 times)

Offline smbakerTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
    • Scott's Electronics & Sandrail & Old BBS Game Blog
High voltage oscilloscope probes
« on: September 22, 2015, 03:44:31 pm »
Can someone recommend some decent budget high voltage oscilloscope probes appropriate for use with a 100Mhz Rigol scope? I'm looking to be able to do some vintage radio work, and would like a little extra voltage budget than an X10 probe affords me. In addition to the radios, I do an occasional project that might go up into the 500-600 volt range. Fortunately the old radios I have are mains isolated and don't have hot cases, so I don't think I need a fancy differential high-voltage probe. My understanding is some inexpensive X100 probes should do.

I had originally tried to order some Hantek T3100 probes from Amazon, but in somewhat comedic fashion amazon has repeatedly mis-shipped me X1/X10 Hantek PP-200 probes. At least I have plenty of spare X1/X10 probes now. Now that both I and Amazon have given up all hope on this particular order ever being correct, I might as well consider different probe manufacturers and/or a different retailer.

Thanks,
Scott

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
Re: High voltage oscilloscope probes
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 04:29:55 pm »
I have a generic Chinese "P4100" 100x, 100 MHz probe that I got on Ebay for 25 dollars US, delivered. It's supposed to be good to 2kV. I'm happy with it for the work that I do.
The easiest person to fool is yourself. -- Richard Feynman

Offline Mark

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 05:33:03 pm »
See if you can find "Testec 13010 Oscilloscope Probe 300MHz 2500V"

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 06:05:08 pm »
See if you can find "Testec 13010 Oscilloscope Probe 300MHz 2500V"

Unfortunately, I'm not having much luck finding that from a distributor here in the states.

I have a generic Chinese "P4100" 100x, 100 MHz probe that I got on Ebay for 25 dollars US, delivered. It's supposed to be good to 2kV. I'm happy with it for the work that I do.

I was originally looking at that one, but a guy gave it a bum review on youtube, and that's why I rolled the dice with the hantec instead.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 06:06:49 pm by smbaker »

Offline casinada

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 10:11:03 pm »
I have the P2300C (x100) Generic chinese probes. They look like my Fluke Scopemeter Probes.

Here is the way they look like ( I didn't purchased them there):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5KV-300MHz-High-Voltage-Oscilloscope-Alligator-Clip-Probe-P2300C-100-1-HPT-/201421175440?hash=item2ee5a33a90

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2015, 12:29:34 am »
I had originally tried to order some Hantek T3100 probes from Amazon, but in somewhat comedic fashion amazon has repeatedly mis-shipped me X1/X10 Hantek PP-200 probes. At least I have plenty of spare X1/X10 probes now. Now that both I and Amazon have given up all hope on this particular order ever being correct, I might as well consider different probe manufacturers and/or a different retailer.

Thanks,
Scott

I also attempted to order the T3100 Hantek and received the P4100 in place.  I was not very impressed with them and made the following video if interested.

You may be able to make your own.   I have made a few different ones.   This is my 100X probe.

This is my 10,000X.   

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2015, 03:41:44 am »
I also attempted to order the T3100 Hantek and received the P4100 in place.  I was not very impressed with them and made the following video if interested.

That's exactly the video that convinced me not to order the P4100. I researched the derate curve as you suggested, and the T3100 does look like a much better deal. Not that I plan on spending a lot of time working at high frequencies and high voltages, but it's nice to have the margin of error.

It's interesting that we've had similar experiences with ordering one and receiving something other than what we ordered.

Update -- well the decision is made, I've ordered a couple of < $20 hantek T3100 from a china ebay seller who has good feedback on his sales for that item. Hopefully that's an indicator the right probe will show up.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 03:51:59 am by smbaker »

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2015, 12:08:34 pm »

....I've ordered a couple of < $20 hantek T3100 from a china ebay seller who has good feedback on his sales for that item. Hopefully that's an indicator the right probe will show up.

:-+  I would be interested to hear what you think of the quality after you get them.  Did you get an extra one to cut apart?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2015, 03:25:29 pm »
Did you get an extra one to cut apart?

Unfortunately, I only ordered two. If I managed to destroy one of them or there's a performance issue, I'll be sure to dissect it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf