Author Topic: Hitachi Storage Scope V-134  (Read 4055 times)

Offline KrusherTopic starter

Hitachi Storage Scope V-134
« on: April 11, 2019, 09:33:11 pm »
My first scope! CRT and dual channel. She's about 20 years old? Works like a charm.

She has issues and I can't seem to find manuals.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 09:36:53 pm by Krusher »

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
Re: Hitachi Storage Scope V-134
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 10:12:24 pm »
That is neat.  I did not know Hitachi made any analog storage oscilloscopes.  I do not see a persistence control so it must use bistable storage.

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 11:44:54 pm »

Perhaps the Auto Erase knob pot sort of performs a bit of Persistence depending on position 

Nice cro   :-+   looks like it came out of the place that made the Trio-Kenwood scopes way back

What's the drama with it?

Check the usual suspects first, switches, pots, crusty capacitors etc before going in deep   :-/O   

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2019, 12:25:09 am »
I'd peg the age at closer to 40 years old. DSOs have been in common use for around 25 years and analog storage disappeared pretty quick once those showed up. I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun, I was stoked when I got my first scope, an ancient Tek 531A when I was about 12.

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2019, 01:24:46 am »
Looks like nobody can find a manual, but there are some inside views and fix-it videos.

https://sonsofinvention.wordpress.com/2013/02/13/getting-acquainted-with-our-new-old-hitachi-oscilloscopes/
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 01:27:13 am by StillTrying »
.  That took much longer than I thought it would.

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2019, 01:52:12 am »
Yes the controls are a bit crusty, however she still works after all these years (it was in inactive duty). Always wanted to have an analogue one, and there she is, with 10MHz and all that jazz. Fits my purpose just right (mostly audio stuff) and the crt works just fine.

I'd peg the age at closer to 40 years old. DSOs have been in common use for around 25 years and analog storage disappeared pretty quick once those showed up. I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun, I was stoked when I got my first scope, an ancient Tek 531A when I was about 12.
40 years old? Might be interesting to find out what vintage she really is; She needs a cleaning anyway. Lovely small 2 channel CRT scope though  :)

Internals looks fine at first sight, however the pots and buttons are old and tired, these need some attention as they are not all that reliable atm. Storage function does work but crude but considering the age of it I'm stoked it works at all  ^-^

All in all it's an easy scope to operate.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 02:36:37 am by Krusher »

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2019, 05:09:04 am »
The style looks very much late 70s, possibly as late as mid 80s, the round CRT is another clue as most scopes had gone to rectangular tubes by the early 80s. You could look inside for date codes, they're often found on transformers and electrolytic capacitors, occasionally other parts.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2019, 09:01:03 am »

I'm betting on 70s/80s vintage, and pretty much a Hitachi badged Trio-Kenwood, or vice versa.

I'm guessing a Japan manufacturer at that time putting badges on these oscilloscopes  :-//

IMHO, these storage jobs are hard to beat for audio purposes, and I much prefer them to DSOs

and 10 mhz is more than plenty bandwidth for audio, and more...  and likely less trouble and HF noise to spoil the show

TBH I never understood the big deal with Tektronix scopes because I used these MIJ ones before going with Teks later,
yes the Teks are nice  :-+  but upon side by side comparisons in the 15 to 100mhz bandwidth bog standard models, pretty much the same.

The Tektronix storage scopes rock, but the Phillips equivalents were pretty good too  :clap:

The MIJ scopes were a LOT easier to get into for servicing, and that's why I have a couple still kicking around. 
Even if they are crusty, after a warm up and exercising the controls and switches, they work great and still in CAL  :phew:

----------------------

@ OP Krusher: does the scope perform XY in strorage mode too?

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2019, 04:49:52 pm »
The Tektronix storage scopes rock, but the Phillips equivalents were pretty good too  :clap:

Philips scopes are still very expensive here (and I live in the Netherlands  :-DD) and they are kinda rare. There aren't many around for sale (or for silly money).

@ OP Krusher: does the scope perform XY in strorage mode too?

Yes she has x-y mode, also a TV mode. Nice right?  :-+

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2019, 01:24:34 am »
This is my Hitachi V152B (needs a wipe down).  It was this model that Dick Smith was selling in Australia in the early 80's.  Despite it having a few battle scars, everything still works!

As you can see, the layout is 75% the same - and I'd say the case is identical.  These things suggest to me that they are both from the same era.  However, from the styling choices, I'd say your V134 is earlier than my V152B.

As such, I would put your V134 in the vicinity of 40 years old, perhaps more.

The following users thanked this post: Krusher

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2019, 01:57:19 am »
I really like the easy as is approach they did :) Function over design I guess. Mine has a few battle scars (missing handle among things).

Any idea how the knob on the mode switch is called? Mine is missing.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2019, 06:21:00 am »
It's called a cap.

Just go to a site like Digikey and search for "switch cap" and you should find them under Accessories - Caps.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2019, 09:11:20 am »

A few winds of  'cut down the middle'  black electrical tape should keep you happy in the meantime (and ISOLATED  :scared: )

till you source a switch cap 

Offline rbm

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2019, 11:23:39 am »
To keep it authentic looking, try casting a duplicate of one of the other lever switch caps on the scope.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/replacement-knobs-feet-and-fittings-for-test-equipment/?topicseen
- Robert

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2019, 05:07:55 pm »
Thanks guys for the tips  :-+

Fixed most of the crustyness switches and pots.

Need to clean the bnc connectors, and the missing cap is replaced until I find something fitting. 3D printing is not an option for me as of yet anyway.

I'm pondering if I should replace all the caps but if works as it still does? Will it do more harm if I replace them all?

Offline xyloeye

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2020, 08:44:33 pm »
I have this scope also. I'm into audio - oscilloscope troubleshooting not so much. I can't find the manual either, so no schematic. Any idea where to start looking for what's causing this issue? This is a 1KHz square wave via coax and with 50 ohm termination. The controls seem OK.

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2020, 12:18:07 pm »
It's an old beast, for sine waves it works fine. Seems that triggering is iffy.

Offline DanMNYKstudios

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2021, 10:12:08 pm »
I have this scope also. I'm into audio - oscilloscope troubleshooting not so much. I can't find the manual either, so no schematic. Any idea where to start looking for what's causing this issue? This is a 1KHz square wave via coax and with 50 ohm termination. The controls seem OK.

Sort of a dead thread here. But I recently picked up a V-152B (a very similar model) and had a similar issue when first trying to get everything up and running. I took the cover off (be very careful. Stay away from the high-voltage areas, and make sure to unplug it and let the caps bleed first). I scrubbed all the pots for the front panel adjustments with a toothbrush and some electronics cleaner. And I don't just mean a light spray either. I sprayed quite a bit, then scrubbed each wiper. They were all covered in a dark soot. It didn't take me long at all. After that (give it a bit to fully dry) it runs like a charm!! Super clean signal. Was able to calibrate it and everything. I picked up a cheap modern probe (yours might be old and out of spec). You can find user manuals and service manuals for very similar models. I suggest going through and adjusting all the internal pots to get it properly calibrated. It's not hard, just takes some time.

Hopefully, this will help anyone else with a similar issue with these old beasts.

Offline kipp

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2023, 01:57:55 am »
I found a document online that appears to be schematics for this model of oscilloscope.  Attached below.

I'm trying to fix a malfunctioning Toshiba 20M62 storage oscilloscope and the internet doesn't seem to think such a thing even exists, let alone have documentation for one.  So I've been trying to identify Japanese oscilloscopes with similar features and of the same vintage in the hope that one of them turns out to be the same inside the box.  This thread is how I learned of this Hitachi model, which led to find the schematics.  For what it's worth, if anyone else is in the same boat, this Hitachi V-134 and the Iwatsu SS-5702A are so far, together, providing the closest approximation I've found of what's in the Toshiba.  If somebody happens to have the Toshiba documentation that would be appreciated.

The following users thanked this post: Victorman222

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf