Author Topic: HoldPeak current probes HP-605X, any good ?  (Read 8154 times)

Offline CaaarloTopic starter

HoldPeak current probes HP-605X, any good ?
« on: August 09, 2018, 09:40:48 pm »
Hi,
Looking for DC current clamp probes for my meter and oscilloscope, I came across these unknown (at least for me) probes:

HoldPeak HP-605A (600A AC/DC) ~USD 17 on Aliexpress
HoldPeak HP-605C (40A/6A AC/DC)    ~USD 33 on Aliexpress

There is almost no technical information on these probes. Furthermore, the smaller probe specifies 2 different output ratios, but I see no way of selecting them (Switch, button, etc)

Anyone ever heard or reviewed any of these probes ? I will appreciate any comment. TIA.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 09:44:06 pm by Caaarlo »

Offline ebclr

• Super Contributor
Re: HoldPeak current probes HP-605X, any good ?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 01:09:35 am »
Caution, Quality control at HoldPeak is no existent, I bought 100 multimeters for resale from then and all of them are  not working, and they refused a return, Caution is necessary, you will get what you paid for

The following users thanked this post: Caaarlo

Offline Microcheap

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 03:26:18 am »
If you are aiming at cheap chinese options, check the Hantek CC-65  (65A) or CC-650 (650A) also available on Aliexpress.

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 08:15:54 pm »
Yes, already seen those. But never heard of these new HoldPeak ones. There's a review on a russian site, and besides some error, I worked good after some recalibration.

Google translation is a PITA, but here it goes:
https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=https%3A%2F%2Fmysku.ru%2Fblog%2Faliexpress%2F55820.html&edit-text=

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 08:25:37 pm »
Unless its -3dB frequency roll off is listed or can be quantified buy something else.

The Hantek CC-65 is rated to 20 MHz KHz BW and still too low BW for power electronics.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 08:45:15 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 08:40:52 pm »
20 MHz BW
:o :o :o :o :o 20 KHz  :-+

They are being sold along with a Fluke DMM also... so they must be good !!!  :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD

The following users thanked this post: tautech

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2018, 08:04:51 pm »
So, nobody seems to know these clamps  :-//

Offline Hobby73

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2018, 05:44:02 am »
I am considering purchasing the HoldPeak HP-605C (6A/40A, AC/DC) to measure the parasitic drain on my vehicles.  Typically, that's measuring 12VDC with current of 20 - 75mA and potentially up to 2A if there's a problem.

Rather than buy a (very expensive) full featured clamp meter that measures low current and offers data recording, I want to use this clamp adapter with a DMM I already own that measures low current and has a data logging feature.

With regard to the question about switching between 6A/40A, I can only speculate that this range setting is made on the DMM the clamp is connected to, not the clamp itself.  Not sure if there would be some incompatability if the DMM has different range settings than 6A/40A, or if it's autoranging.

At this price, it's a good value if it really works, has decent documentation, and you can get the mfg to answer any questions that may arise.  I'm hoping for a testimonial from others to give me some confidence on these points.  I know, unlikely...
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 07:32:20 am by Hobby73 »

Offline screwbreaker

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2018, 07:41:02 am »
I've got an HoldPeak HP-605A some time ago. But it never worked.

They are also a very strange clamp meter.
According to the manual they output is in ampere not in volt.
So they are not the best to be used with an oscilloscope.

Look the picture of the instructions here:
https://it.aliexpress.com/store/product/Clamp-Meter-Amperometro-HoldPeak-600A-DC-AC-Pinza-di-Corrente-Adattatore-Clamp-On-Adattatore-Meter-con/3194051_32902518771.html

I've also the Hantek CC-65 and they are not bad at all for the price.

I remember another thread where someone suggest the CP-05A as a cheap current probe with a decent bandwidth.
But they are more expensive than the HoldPeak:
https://it.aliexpress.com/store/product/CP-05A-AC-DC-Clamp-Current-Probe-for-Oscilloscope/617902_737664409.html

The following users thanked this post: Hobby73

Offline Hobby73

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2018, 07:51:49 pm »
Thanks @screwbreaker!  I've now changed my focus to the Hantek CC-65.  Amazon reviews look good, low price, and the mfg website has the manual for download.  Everything I like to see when buying test gear.

http://www.hantek.com/en/productdetail_15_77.html.

Update:  I just measured the width of my auto battery cable and it's 10mm.  The opening on this clamp is only 9mm, so I'm out of luck.   :'(
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 08:01:41 pm by Hobby73 »

Offline Microcheap

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2018, 02:12:14 am »
Hantek also has a 650A version of this probe with bigger clamp opening

http://www.hantek.com/en/ProductDetail_15_76.html

Offline Hobby73

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2018, 05:23:39 am »
Thanks, but this 650 model with the larger jaws is not designed for low power circuts like the CC-65.  At the lowest ranges, the CC-65 is 1mv/10mA.  The 650 is 1mv/100mA.  (These specs are from the manuals on their website, the product page description has some errors).

The parasitic drain on a typical auto battery is 20 - 75mA.  So I need a low power clamp with large jaws, not the typical combination of features.

If I were only interested in measuring cranking amps when starting the engine (measuring hundreds of amps, not milliamps), this 650 unit would be a good fit.

:'(

Offline screwbreaker

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2018, 07:26:21 am »
The 650A is also 400 Hz only

Online rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2018, 02:32:24 pm »
If you are able to bring a current probe to Argentina, one very interesting oldie but goodie probe is the Fluke Y8100. Since you are talking about parasitic currents, I wouldn't expect it to require a very high bandwidth (this one is specified up to 1kHz).

I have one and I love it!

Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Microcheap

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2018, 09:15:12 pm »
Is the data logging featuring a must for you? If not, the Uni-t UT210E clamp meter has a 1mA resolution at the 2A DC range and it cost less than a Hantek CC-65, but I think you have already considered it.

Offline Hobby73

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2018, 09:53:01 pm »
Is the data logging featuring a must for you? If not, the Uni-t UT210E clamp meter has a 1mA resolution at the 2A DC range and it cost less than a Hantek CC-65, but I think you have already considered it.

I actually have the Uni-T UT201E clamp meter.  I think it's the best low-cost clamp meter on the market.

However, for my specific application, I would like to observe the battery drain on my vehicle overnight.  The drain will change when the alarm is turned on, then it will change again after some post engine-shutoff processes complete.  It's not an instantaneous measurement, but occurs over a period of time.

My vehicle has an alarm switch on the hood (engine bonnet).  So I can't even turn on the alarm unless the hood is closed.  One workaround is to disconnect/short the alarm switch on the hood, but that involves a burdensome removal of the grill and headlamp to reach the switch. 

Thanks for all the suggestions. 

Offline screwbreaker

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2018, 07:47:53 am »
Well, the UT210E can be modded in order to have an analog output.
Just be careful because in this way you can have some exposed connector and the meter will not be insulated anymore.

Here some info:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/a-look-at-the-uni-t-ut210e/msg1079934/#msg1079934

I don't know much about this mod. Maybe is better to do some research first.

The following users thanked this post: Lomax, Hobby73

Offline Lomax

• Frequent Contributor
  • Minimalist
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2018, 10:27:56 pm »
Currently(!) looking for something like this myself. Found the Prova CM-05, which looks promising, if a bit bulky, and can be found <£100 - anyone have opinion/experience of these current probes?

Offline screwbreaker

• Regular Contributor

The following users thanked this post: Lomax

Online rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2018, 12:48:37 am »
That is a very interesting probe, especially for the bandwidth. However, the noise floor is a bit high for low power electronic circuits (20mA). Still a very interesting choice.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

The following users thanked this post: Lomax

Offline Lomax

• Frequent Contributor
  • Minimalist
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2018, 06:57:42 pm »
My impression is that there's a pretty steep increase in quality (and cost) required to reliably measure <200mA-ish DC currents with a Hall effect "clip-on" sensor. If (like me) you're on a budget you're probably better off with a shunt etc (or inlining your meter's own shunt resistor) for weak DC current measurements. And even with an expensive probe, I expect that environmental factors would affect the measurement quite significantly. My own application for an AC/DC current proble would be to ballpark current draw on individual wires (e.g. behind a main fuse panel) in automotive and marine applications (12-24V DC typically), and logging power/time, for troubleshooting purposes. In most cases I'd be dealing with currents >500mA <50A, which I hope is a more reasonable range to measure somewhat accurately.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 07:04:02 pm by Lomax »

Offline BillyO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2022, 12:36:21 am »
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but my reply is pertinent.

For $20 I went ahead and picked one of these up (605A).  My main reason was to measure the cranking current on starters for cars and motorcycles.

It works fine and is fairly accurate (+/- 3%).

The instructions are a complete mystery.  Ignore them.

It needs to be used with a meter that has relative capability in it's mV range.  It outputs 1mV/A

1) Set your meter to uVmV DC.
2) Connect the clamp and turn it on.
3) REL out the reading.
4) Place the clamp around the wire to be measured then read of the amperage in mV.

Seems well constructed and has a nicely implemented PCB inside with off the self components.

I have not tried to determine the BW as I have no way to modulate a high current at anything beyond 60 Hz.  For what I use it for, it will do fine and for $20 it was a bargain.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2022, 12:39:04 am by BillyO »
Bill  (Currently a Siglent fanboy)
--------------------------------------------------
Want to see an old guy fumble around re-learning a career left 40 years ago?  Well, look no further .. https://www.youtube.com/@uni-byte

The following users thanked this post: DaneLaw

Offline arturmariojr

• Contributor
  • Passionate on electronics and calculators!
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2023, 05:39:51 pm »

Offline DaneLaw

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2023, 12:19:46 pm »
Nice review.

Got the bigger amp-brother. HP605A
Decided to roll the dice and purchase the 4 cheapest AC&DC clamp meters I could find on Aliexpress at one of their sales 3 to 4 years back. https://tinyurl.com/yprnhst9

* HoldPeak HP605A 15US
* Hantek CC65 (20Khz) 40USD
* Allsun EM264 25US
* ETCR007AD (100Khz) 50US

All got AC+DC support and obviously, a mixed bag as some are for high current with jacks (DMM) and others for relatively low current with BNC.
The Hantek CC65 was the cleanest - for the price its a nice AC/DC BNC-clamp meter, while the most expensive ETCR007 which also are targeted for low-current was extremely noisy, to the point that something seemed off or maybe defective - even with 30Khz bandpass filter, I couldn't clean it up, but half of the pads is also  unpopulated

Holdpeak HP605 with DMM (AC) - And scope (AC)

Color changing USB-LED (DC) - CC65 below (ch2 on full bw) and ETCR007A on top (ch1 LP-filtered)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2023, 02:19:10 pm by DaneLaw »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf