Author Topic: How good are these parts if I build a voltage reference out of it?  (Read 13273 times)

Offline technixTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • From Shanghai With Love
    • My Untitled Blog
I am thinking about building a voltage reference, using TL431 as the voltage standard and OP07C as the precision amplifier. How good will that be?

And since I don't have those sexy decade switches, would using reed relays affect the precision? How to select the resistors and trim the voltage standard? Will the microcontroller controlling the relays affect the output, since the control to the reed relays obviously have to come from a string of 74HC595s on the microcontroller's SPI bus? Is the "dial in a voltage on a keypad and hit go" a good user experience?

One step further, since a microcontroller is called for already, does it make sense to make it computer controlled? Is there any existing protocol available?

Offline mzzj

• Super Contributor
Re: How good are these parts if I build a voltage reference out of it?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 09:46:36 am »
I am thinking about building a voltage reference, using TL431 as the voltage standard and OP07C as the precision amplifier. How good will that be?

And since I don't have those sexy decade switches, would using reed relays affect the precision? How to select the resistors and trim the voltage standard? Will the microcontroller controlling the relays affect the output, since the control to the reed relays obviously have to come from a string of 74HC595s on the microcontroller's SPI bus? Is the "dial in a voltage on a keypad and hit go" a good user experience?

One step further, since a microcontroller is called for already, does it make sense to make it computer controlled? Is there any existing protocol available?
Good or not depends what you need. TL431 would be about same level of accuracy as voltage standards 150 years ago  ;)
There is probably about a metric ton of better voltage references than TL431.

• Super Contributor
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 12:05:06 pm »

Good or not depends what you need. TL431 would be about same level of accuracy as voltage standards 150 years ago  ;)
There is probably about a metric ton of better voltage references than TL431.

Please suggest a part. I have checked recently that even from Shenzhen suppliers selling parts salvaged from other boards, LM399 and LTZ1000 are expensive like hell, costing US$10 and US$50 each.

Offline DanielS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 12:29:58 pm »
Please suggest a part. I have checked recently that even from Shenzhen suppliers selling parts salvaged from other boards, LM399 and LTZ1000 are expensive like hell, costing US$10 and US$50 each.
The whole point of having a voltage reference to use as a standard is stability. You are not going to get anything standard-worthy out of a 431. Unfortunately, better things usually come with a heftier price tag. There are reasons why the 399 and LTZ are such well-established go-to reference parts.

Offline mzzj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 01:17:42 pm »

REF02 is pretty common and you should be able to find some for 1-2usd/piece or less. Even brand new should be like 3-5 usd.
It's nowhere as good as LM399 or LTZ but much much better than TL431

Some others that you might find: ADR4550, REF192, MAX6050

• Super Contributor
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 01:22:44 pm »

REF02 is pretty common and you should be able to find some for 1-2usd/piece or less. Even brand new should be like 3-5 usd.

How good is MC1403? The datasheet quotes a 10ppm tempco.

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 01:29:38 pm »
If you can't spend $10 on an LM399, you probably don't need a voltage reference at all.
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Offline mzzj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 01:34:36 pm »

Well its something like 10 to 100 times better than TL431 so a definite improvement.
Probably good enough to start playing around. If I remember correctly your workbench didn't include  fancy 8,5 digit meters or anything like that.  :)

• Super Contributor
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2015, 02:02:51 pm »
If you can't spend $10 on an LM399, you probably don't need a voltage reference at all.

I don't have a 8.5 digit DMM to justify that - I just need something that can be used to calibrate my 3.5 digit meters, sort of a crude version of a transfer standard that I will send to a calibration lab.

• Super Contributor
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2015, 02:06:51 pm »

Well its something like 10 to 100 times better than TL431 so a definite improvement.
Probably good enough to start playing around. If I remember correctly your workbench didn't include  fancy 8,5 digit meters or anything like that.  :)

No all I have is 3.5 digit old ones. If I am to send one down to a calibration lab, should I finalize the design and send down that digitally controlled voltage standard assembly, or just the reference chip itself? It is just a working standard I will be used to calibrate my gear against.

Offline mzzj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2015, 06:18:50 pm »

No all I have is 3.5 digit old ones. If I am to send one down to a calibration lab, should I finalize the design and send down that digitally controlled voltage standard assembly, or just the reference chip itself? It is just a working standard I will be used to calibrate my gear against.
Many of the listed references are available with 0,02% accuracy. That should be more than enough to check your meters even without sending to calibration lab.

• Super Contributor
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2015, 08:00:35 pm »

Many of the listed references are available with 0,02% accuracy. That should be more than enough to check your meters even without sending to calibration lab.

I want to test the low voltage ranges too so I will need that accuracy and I probably will have to build an adjustable supply out of a reference chip, and that (as well as my old meters) will have to take a trip to the cal lab.

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2015, 08:14:50 pm »
I want to test the low voltage ranges too so I will need that accuracy and I probably will have to build an adjustable supply out of a reference chip, and that (as well as my old meters) will have to take a trip to the cal lab.

If you feel that you need calibration (repeatedly, if you are really serious about it?), the few extra $ for a better part should be negligible compared to the overall cost of the module and calibration service, shouldn't they?

• Super Contributor
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2015, 08:22:39 pm »

If you feel that you need calibration (repeatedly, if you are really serious about it?), the few extra $ for a better part should be negligible compared to the overall cost of the module and calibration service, shouldn't they?

Calibrating a piece of gear with LTZ1000 at its heart here in Shanghai at a government-operated cal lab (cheapest option actually) cost the same as the LTZ1000 itself. If I used MC1403 probably it won't worth a trip down a cal lab, but I don't have equipment that justifies a purchase of LM399 or LTZ1000.

Maybe when I decided to get a 8.5-digit DMM I will need that. However before that, are you suggesting that the accuracy of MC1403 as posted in the datasheet is more than good enough for me to calibrate my gear against?

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2015, 08:40:53 pm »
Maybe when I decided to get a 8.5-digit DMM I will need that. However before that, are you suggesting that the accuracy of MC1403 as posted in the datasheet is more than good enough for me to calibrate my gear against?

The MC1403 is only specified at +- 1% absolute accuracy, it seems. So if you want an "absolute" standard, rather than just checking your DMMs for drift, that may not be enough for you. Some of the other references mentioned in the thread fare a factor of 10 better in this respect, e.g. the REF192 or the MAX6050 at 0.1% and 0.2%, respectively. At first glance, I have not seen one with the 0.02% accuracy mentioned by mzzj, however.

Offline macboy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2015, 11:01:30 pm »

The MC1403 is only specified at +- 1% absolute accuracy, it seems. So if you want an "absolute" standard, rather than just checking your DMMs for drift, that may not be enough for you. Some of the other references mentioned in the thread fare a factor of 10 better in this respect, e.g. the REF192 or the MAX6050 at 0.1% and 0.2%, respectively. At first glance, I have not seen one with the 0.02% accuracy mentioned by mzzj, however.
REF102 is 0.025% and has very good stability over temperature and time. It is a good candidate to build a 3.5 digit standard that doesn't need any initial calibration, just build and use. If you add trimming capability and calibrate it, you can get much better accuracy that should hold true for a long time.

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2015, 11:45:29 pm »
How about an AD588AQ?  Judging from eBay, there are plenty of them in China.

• Super Contributor
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2015, 04:39:55 am »

That is why I said I was thinking about sending a MC1403 down to a cal lab - to get an accurate initial reading. Then the MC1403 will have a good enough drift and tempco to allow me continuously calibrate my gear against.

• Super Contributor
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2015, 09:01:38 am »

REF102 is 0.025% and has very good stability over temperature and time. It is a good candidate to build a 3.5 digit standard that doesn't need any initial calibration, just build and use. If you add trimming capability and calibrate it, you can get much better accuracy that should hold true for a long time.
If I want more accuracy how many digits can I squeeze out of a REF102 with calibration capabilities? And how to design calibratable relay operated decade switches?

Offline icon

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2015, 05:51:05 pm »
Have a look at this chap's channel on Youtube - might be useful.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDqryeq1kMDSEQwltWqASrA

John

Offline Andreas

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2015, 07:22:37 pm »
isl21009bfb850 : 0.01%  @ 5V
max6350: 0.02% @ 5V
ref102c: 0.025% @ 10V

With best regards

Andreas

• Super Contributor
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2015, 07:56:42 pm »
isl21009bfb850 : 0.01%  @ 5V
max6350: 0.02% @ 5V
ref102c: 0.025% @ 10V

With best regards

Andreas
Part #Nominal voltageInitial accuracyTempcoDriftPrice (from Shenzhen, unit: CNY)
ISL21009BFB8252.5V+/- 0.5mV (+/- 0.02%)3ppm50ppm/1000hrs15/each
REF02AU5V+/- 0.015V (+/- 0.3%)4ppm100ppm/1000hrs5/each
MC14032.5V+/- 25mV (+/- 1%)10ppmNo data4.25/each (8.5/pack of 2)
MAX6350CPA5V+/- 1mV (+/- 0.02%)1ppm30ppm/1000hr30/each

Maybe MC1403 is a bad buy...

I think I will get a few REF02 and start building from that. Hope OP07C is a good enough op amp for instrumentation purposes and I am still worried about the reed relays and a long string of 74HC595 used as decade switch replacement. What kind of power supply should I use? Is a maximum rating of 20V enough? Is punching in a voltage on a keypad and hit go a good user interface?

• Super Contributor
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2015, 07:10:41 am »

Scored a few used LM399 at US$2.5/each, end of discussion. I am going to design my standard project around these.

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2015, 12:14:42 pm »
Scored a few used LM399 at US$2.5/each, end of discussion. I am going to design my standard project around these.

Congratulations -- good to see that your project is making progress. With that choice it will make sense to have your voltage reference calibrated once it's built, since the LM399 has great stability, but a rather large 2% initial tolerance.

• Super Contributor
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2015, 12:50:55 pm »

Congratulations -- good to see that your project is making progress. With that choice it will make sense to have your voltage reference calibrated once it's built, since the LM399 has great stability, but a rather large 2% initial tolerance.

So your suggestion here is go ahead and build the voltage reference out of LM399, and send it on a trip to the cal lab? Will its status being a used part affect its accuracy?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf