Author Topic: How much is an Agilent E7495B Portable Spectrum Analyzer worth ?  (Read 6183 times)

Offline BravoVTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
... at least for you ?

Unit only, passed self test, cosmetically is still excellent, out of warranty of course.

And its came with these installed options.

Any words regarding the installed options will be appreciated.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 09:27:22 am by BravoV »

Offline technogeeky

• Frequent Contributor
  • Older New "New Player" Player Playa'
Re: How much is an E7495B worth ?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2017, 10:50:34 pm »
... at least for you ?

Unit only, passed self test, cosmetically is still excellent, out of warranty of course.

And its came with these installed options.

Any words regarding the installed options will be appreciated.

It's worth somewhere in the $300 to $600 range. The E7495a can be had with only cosmetic defects for $300 (or just under). The B model isn't worlds better.

All of the software-enabled options (all of the low numbered analyzer options) can be software-hacked for free, so they are essentially worth nothing.

The bias tee is a slightly rare option, which is nice. #510 is standard usually (most units have it). #600 is standard (most units have it)

It's actually kind of nice that your unit doesn't have the T1/E1 analyzers, because they are essentially worthless, cause the boot time to increase by almost 60 seconds, and can't easily be software disabled.

So I'd say, again, $300-$600.

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
Re: How much is an Agilent E7495B Portable Spectrum Analyzer worth ?
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 09:34:20 am »
technogeeky, thanks and appreciate the reply.  :-+

Also wow, I didn't know all those options can be enabled thru hacking, yay.  :clap:

Now, more questions ... (if you don't mind) as you sound like very familiar with this particular product.

- About the hack, is it easy ? Especially for a noob.

- Can this unit powered from the AC/DC adapter "WITHOUT" any battery in it ?

- You mentioned ceiling price is about $600, assuming its "B" but at what conditions, apart from cosmetically perfect ? The accessories completeness ? Which ones are crucial from the standard accessories list ?

- Finally, is this a decent SA "+ CE Signal Generator" , say for this price range you mentioned ? Or there are other better alternatives at the same price range ?

Again, many thanks.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 09:40:45 am by BravoV »

Offline technogeeky

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2017, 10:05:49 am »
technogeeky, thanks and appreciate the reply.  :-+

Also wow, I didn't know all those options can be enabled thru hacking, yay.  :clap:

Now, more questions ... (if you don't mind) as you sound like very familiar with this particular product.

- About the hack, is it easy ? Especially for a noob.

Yep. After making backups, you can just telnet into the device and replace a binary with another binary (instructions for making this with hex editor are on this forum, search 7495a). Then you can use the UI install the remaining options.
- Can this unit powered from the AC/DC adapter "WITHOUT" any battery in it ?

Yep. I haven't tested it myself, but it should work down to about 12V.
- You mentioned ceiling price is about $600, assuming its "B" but at what conditions, apart from cosmetically perfect ? The accessories completeness ? Which ones are crucial from the standard accessories list ?

I think $600 is with no accessories.

Mine came with no accessories other than the bag and the (useless) TX/RX cables for the T1 analyzer. The seller also separately sold me the two short type N cables for $15 each.

The other accessories, if they are included, are probably quite valuable. The two 10dB pads are probably worth at least $25 each. The 40dB 100W load is probably worth $100 or more. A GPS antenna is probably only worth $15.

If you got an open/short/load calibration kit, that's probably worth as much (if not more) than the E7495B itself.

I don't consider a power meter an accessory, but if you got one with yours, it's worth at least a hundred and as much as $1000.

- Finally, is this a decent SA "+ CE Signal Generator" , say for this price range you mentioned ? Or there are other better alternatives at the same price range ?

Yes, it's an unbelievable deal. It's an almost-laboratory grade instrument that's built like a tank. Within the context of the limitations that the instrument presents (the signal generator only goes from ~ 375 MHz to 2.5GHz, the spectrum analyzer only goes down to 500kHz which rules out audio and some power supply EMI investigation), it's a very capable instrument.

The signal generation lower bandwidth is probably the most significant restriction. It makes it harder to do things like sweep antenna (one port return loss) down in the HAM/CB ranges.

Realistically, though, I don't think there's a better SA value out there assuming you are interested in the frequency ranges it covers.
Again, many thanks.

Offline alm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2017, 10:45:58 am »
Is size an issue? I imagine there might be some 19" bench units with much better performance. You might be able to find more information in this thread. The E7495 units have some extra features that could be useful like mobility, CW generator and SWR, but might not be the best choice for a pure spectrum analyzers if RF performance is a concern, especially below 375 MHz.

I assume you read previous threads about this unit and watched Shariar's teardown / demo:

I don't consider a power meter an accessory, but if you got one with yours, it's worth at least a hundred and as much as $1000.
In guaranteed working condition. Broken (untested power sensors are usually broken on eBay) they are almost worthless since a blown diode/thermistor equals beyond economical repair.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 04:50:46 pm by alm »

Offline technogeeky

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2017, 03:28:37 pm »

In guaranteed working condition. Broken (untested power sensors are usually broken on eBay) they are almost worthless since a blown diode/transistor equals beyond economical repair.

Agreed.

I'd love to hear what the OP paid and what accessories he got.

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 08:08:03 am »

I think $600 is with no accessories.

Mine came with no accessories other than the bag and the (useless) TX/RX cables for the T1 analyzer. The seller also separately sold me the two short type N cables for $15 each.

The other accessories, if they are included, are probably quite valuable. The two 10dB pads are probably worth at least $25 each. The 40dB 100W load is probably worth $100 or more. A GPS antenna is probably only worth $15.

If you got an open/short/load calibration kit, that's probably worth as much (if not more) than the E7495B itself.

Noted, $600 without any accessories.

Not the complete whole accessories though, the seller sent me this below as the "part of" the complete accessories which I think includes the power adaptor, battery and misc coax cables which are not pictured below.  :(

Yes, it's an unbelievable deal. It's an almost-laboratory grade instrument that's built like a tank. Within the context of the limitations that the instrument presents (the signal generator only goes from ~ 375 MHz to 2.5GHz, the spectrum analyzer only goes down to 500kHz which rules out audio and some power supply EMI investigation), it's a very capable instrument.

The signal generation lower bandwidth is probably the most significant restriction. It makes it harder to do things like sweep antenna (one port return loss) down in the HAM/CB ranges.

Realistically, though, I don't think there's a better SA value out there assuming you are interested in the frequency ranges it covers.

Again, noted, yeah, not for audio, its more for RF.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 08:17:28 am by BravoV »

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2017, 08:12:53 am »
Is size an issue? I imagine there might be some 19" bench units with much better performance. You might be able to find more information in this thread. The E7495 units have some extra features that could be useful like mobility, CW generator and SWR, but might not be the best choice for a pure spectrum analyzers if RF performance is a concern, especially below 375 MHz.

Hey alm, glad you pop in here.

Actually its not the size, its just got an offer and considering it. There are not many bench SA offer around this location where I live.  :(

I assume you read previous threads about this unit and watched Shariar's teardown / demo:

Yes, I did for the Shariar's video, thanks for the link for hacking.

In guaranteed working condition. Broken (untested power sensors are usually broken on eBay) they are almost worthless since a blown diode/thermistor equals beyond economical repair.

Look at previous post with photo, is that the power sensor you talking bout ?

How to determine its not broken ?

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2017, 08:15:23 am »

In guaranteed working condition. Broken (untested power sensors are usually broken on eBay) they are almost worthless since a blown diode/transistor equals beyond economical repair.

Agreed.

I'd love to hear what the OP paid and what accessories he got.

Subject to bargaining, currently the offer is hovering a little less than 900 bucks, what do you think about this figure ?

Its for my friend (a hobbyist) which has a rich bone  :P , I'm just helping him to acquire this at optimal price. No way I can afford that.  :'(

Offline kirill_ka

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2017, 10:22:46 am »

Look at previous post with photo, is that the power sensor you talking bout ?

How to determine its not broken ?
Connect it to power meter (or E7495) and check if it can be calibrated against internal power reference.
But I don't see that sensor cable is included. 

Offline Neganur

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2017, 01:31:08 pm »
Sold mine for 500 € I think, I would not pay more for them either - they're not that special.
Had all accessories (cal kit, power sensor, charger) but sold separately. The unit is also quite heavy (10kg) so take shipping cost into account when on the lookout for them.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/buysellwanted/fs-(eu)-agilent-e7495a-500khz-2-7ghz-base-station-test-set-(sasiggenswr)/msg1060740/#msg1060740

Offline technogeeky

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2017, 08:28:13 pm »

Again, noted, yeah, not for audio, its more for RF.

Looking at that picture, I can state what I see and how much I guess it's worth:

• $100 - 100W 40dB attenuator
  • $40 - 2x dual BNC to BNC cables[1]
  • $220 - 8482A power sensor (if working)
  • $___ - 3x Type N to unknown (SMA? SMB? SMC? TMC?)[2] adapters
  • $___ - 5x Type N to 7/16 adapters[3]

[1]: These can be handy, but not particularly for use with this instrument. I wonder why they are included, since they would normally be for the E1 option which I think your unit did not have.
[2]: I can't tell what these are. If they are all Type N to SMA, then they are certainly useful. If they are any other connector, they are much less useful.
[3]: These are probably very nice, very well made, but useless for you or your friend. You will probably never encounter a 7/16th connector.

Here's an image from some random ebay sale of a E7495B:

So, here is what I don't see in your pictures (not necessarily a huge problem, but for the sake of completeness):

• Power Adapter
  • Open/Short/Load Calibration Kit (6 pcs)
  • Power Sensor Cable
  • 2x short type N cables

The strangest thing missing is the power sensor cable (which can cost at least $50 and as much as $150 depending on the length of the cable, though it could probably be hand made since it's all digital).

It's not strange to not see the Open/Short/Load kit. These are very sought after and valuable.

There is also a known problem with the E7495A/B screen gasket. Basically, the watertight seal around the plastic in front of the LCD heats up and due to the position of the gasket between the metal front cover and the plastic screen, it slides around until it covers part of the screen. This can pretty easily be fixed for about $10, and instructions are available in the other thread and I can help further if necessary. Since I haven't actually seen the unit in question, I don't know if it has the problem.

Overall, I'd say this: IF the power sensor cable is included and IF the power sensor is guaranteed to work (when connected to the power reference of that (or any) unit, it should read 0.0dBm and 50 MHz) , then at $900 it's not a bad deal. It's not a great deal either, though. IF the cal kit is also included, it's a great deal.

If it were my money, I would use the $900 on something more capable. For instance, I would love to have a tracking generator that goes below 375 MHz (down to 9kHz would be wonderful). I would love to be able to do demodulation of arbitrary signals (FM and AM demod, at the very least). It would be awesome to cover the 5GHz wifi bands also (though this is both a bit much to ask for this price point, and the wrong tool for the job: to really look at wifi and such things, you usually want a realtime spectrum analyzer).

So unfortunately my final verdict is a resounding meh. At that price point, I would seriously consider what other options are available.

Offline usagi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2017, 12:02:53 am »
the signal generator on these is pretty featureless as well.

if you don't need portability, i'd go with a used R&S cmu200 over an e7495.

keep in mind these were built for telco guys working cell sites. not lab guys. the feature set and performance reflects that.

most of these used e7495 come with a huge agilent backpack which is pretty cool.

Offline Neganur

• Supporter
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2017, 09:35:22 am »
That's the one item I did not sell :D it's way too cool and actually a high quality bag like the trekking ones.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf