Author Topic: How Relevant Old Tektronix TLA7*** Logic Analyzer Today?  (Read 8935 times)

Online MechatrommerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
How Relevant Old Tektronix TLA7*** Logic Analyzer Today?
« on: October 26, 2018, 07:09:30 am »
i saw some people recommending and own these Windows mainframe + plugged in modules based LA, person like nctnico et al. i saw some decent deals in ebay namely TLA704/TLA715 unit. some sellers also sell probes and modules at decent price, and there are discussion on diy flying leads, so its not too bad i think on price point if we want to build a complete set from different sellers, but my question is, is it worth getting one of this? i mean how relevant they are with today's circuit diagnosis? most common today are serial communication i2c spi, CAN bus USB2 and 3 etc. can those relic decode modern serial comm? just like sealae SW did (showing ascii character for each 8 or 9 bit logic signal). as i can see the units are specialized in parallel super many logic lines, 136 logic channels is just crazy for me, we can add to 272 lanes with add on modules TLA 7M4 for example, and there are plethora's of supported modules out there, including analog input BNC, for troubleshooting FPGA, DDR RAM parallel thing i guess they are superman in the field, but i havent seen specialty in serial communication 4 lines etc, so i wonder.

1) can we make our own software/decoder or is there SDK available and install in the mainframe to decode modern comm?
2) is the built in TLA software configurable enough to decode modern or specialized protocol?
3) what the difference between say TLA704 and TLA715 performance wise. can TLA715 decode or make logic analysis better? than TLA704? such as jitter, timing etc. or all these technical details only relevant to the plugged in module, the mainframe is just a mainframe with more modern OS and faster/bigger cpu/ram/hdd?

and now looking at available modules, i got interested at TLA7AA4 because it has 136 logic channels (already an overkill for me) and not only that is it has 4 analog inputs. is it like normal oscilloscope analog input? can TLA software shows analog signal on the screen just like normal DSO? or are these BNC input only usable to logic type (square) signal analysis, not arbitrary/distorted shape? time state analysis or whatever it is logic type only? i'm aware the input is 3V 50 ohm type, but we always can make 1/10X 1/100X or specialized or homebrew probe right? making it capable of viewing like 30 or 300Vac, no? there are other some strange specs about the module though..

4) can the unit/module catch up with today high speed comm? how fast? 8Gbps? 1Gbps? or only 400 or 200Mbps? there are some peculiar specs...

such as here TLA7AA4 on the front panel label indicating 8GHz timing, but 450MHz state. i know 450MHz is not 8GHz so its a bit confusing. further from TLA700 datasheet there are figures like 500ps timing resolution, calculating it, its about 1ns complete cycle up and down so its 1GHz signal. and then there is 200MHz state acquisition but 400MHz datarate support, man i can try to figure out all those figures by googling until the cow comes home. what are those? are those related to mainframe's spec? or module's spec? confusing as hell. but then there is...

"Four Channel Digitizing Oscilloscope with up to 1 GHz, 5 GS/s Provides Highfidelity Signal Quality Measurements of Digital Signals" this is interesting, i guess this has to do with TLA7AA4 module? with 4 analog input? if i buy this stuff, i will get a 1GHz 5GSa/s DSO along the line? which is the dedicated DSO alone like Agilent or Lecroy is about the same price or more than TLA7** LA unit. but buying TLA LA unit with TLA7AA4 module, i will have both professional humongous channels LA, and professional GHz grade DSO... no?

looking forward to hear from people familiar with this, thanks.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 07:11:33 am by Mechatrommer »
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline TiN

• Super Contributor
    • xDevs.com
Re: How Relevant Old Tektronix TLA7*** Logic Analyzer Today?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2018, 11:52:03 am »
Short: Depends.

If you develop/test stuff with lot of parallel I/O - real LA like TLA7xxx are gold. They provide complex state machines timing support, segmented memory and module ACQ can be clocked and triggered by your DUT device,all of which makes any DSO with "LA" functionality nothing but a toy. I managed to get AA4 module to capture and decode about 600MHz DDR bus, but best to stay under 400MHz for ease of use. Today's modern BB4 module offers 1.4GHz BW, but cost like a fancy car unless you get in right place in right time.

There do not support usual slow serial comms out of the box, that's not what they are designed for. With some cursing and coding you can write own "support module" to add decode though. I've covered decode modules and flow on my site about I2C and SPI decoder. For fast stuff, like DDR decode there are suppliers that provide the HW and SW plugins, but that's not cheap.

To you questions.

1. Yes, you can make software decoders (within module limits for BW/depth), but not pain free process.
2. FSM support is great, but TLA app can be picky working with long captures (4M+ samples with lots of channels). However if you need such deep memory - you configuring your event capture wrong :)
3. 715 can support most of newer modules like 7AA/7AC4, while 704 is ancient box, limited to old modules. Tek software will not work until you are on right OS. I'd suggest to stay at least with 715. Only 7012/7016 supports modern modules like 7BB4 and PCIe modules.

7AA4 does not have analog inputs, those BNCs are mux outputs. Very useful thing when used together with Tektronix scope (google iView).
TLA app can show analog signal on screen, aligned to your digital waveform, but need external scope to digitize data. TLA is not a realtime device either.
There are DSO modules like 7E2/7E4 but those are very limited.

4. BB4 can do 1.4GHz BW. There is extension function to get small sample capture but at much higher speed - Tek calls it magnivu. That can provide equiv 8GHz BW on AA4 module and 50GHz on BB4 hardare.

And using TLA standalone on it's own small screen and UI is pita, so all those older units useable only with remote LAN control. You can install TLA application on your usual windows machine, and play with "demo" analyzer to see what it can do. it runs simulator TLA7016 when no Tek HW detected.
But it can be picky on modern machines with lots of DRAM (8GB+) and 64-bit OS, e.g.:

Except special DSO modules for TLA, none of the modules have ADC to digitize any analog signals. So..

but buying TLA LA unit with TLA7AA4 module, i will have both professional humongous channels LA, and professional GHz grade DSO... no?

No, you get just a TLA. You need iView set (NI GPIB dongle and BNC-BNC cable set for triggering) and Tektronix scope like TDSxxxx or DPO/MDO/DSAxxxx to get analog data into TLA view:

Also do not forget, you can get TLA mainframe and 7AA4 for cheap, but your main expense will be always in probes and fixtures. 7Ax4/7BB4 use Mictor impedance controlled ports , so you can't whack your usual 100mil pitch cable into them and expect anything good.

If you really interested, I can give you poor condition (but working) TLA714+7AA4 and custom probe for cost of shipping, since I've upgraded to TLA7012+7BB4+7AC4 while ago.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 11:53:57 am by TiN »
YouTube | Metrology IRC Chat room | Let's share T&M documentation? Upload! No upload limits for firmwares, photos, files.

The following users thanked this post: Mechatrommer, rsjsouza

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2018, 12:13:18 pm »
I don't have much to add to the above. TLA7AA4 modules can be found cheap and the probes as well. IIRC someone made boards to breakout the compression strip probes onto 2.54mm (0.1") headers. I recommend to get at least a TLA715 mainframe because these are much newer but still using the mainframe remotely is highly recommended. IIRC the TLA715 has an 800x600 screen by default. In a distant past I have uphacked my TLA704 to an 800x600 screen as well.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2018, 12:45:03 pm »
Got one for sale  :popcorn:

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2018, 02:46:25 pm »
7AA4 does not have analog inputs, those BNCs are mux outputs.
yes i just realized this when reading the manual :(

There are DSO modules like 7E2/7E4 but those are very limited.
there is also cheaper but lower BW 7D1 DSO module. but hey, its 500MHz 2.5GSa/s still better than my Rigol DS1054Z ;D

I recommend to get at least a TLA715 mainframe because these are much newer but still using the mainframe remotely is highly recommended. IIRC the TLA715 has an 800x600 screen by default. In a distant past I have uphacked my TLA704 to an 800x600 screen as well.
thanks for the advice nctinco. both of you and Tin are the man ;)

in the mean time, i slowly read the module's and mainframe's specification manual, things start to unravel. coupled with advice from you people made me quickly back on the right state of mind again.

If you really interested, I can give you poor condition (but working) TLA714+7AA4 and custom probe for cost of shipping
already PMed you. thanks for your kindness ;)

Got one for sale  :popcorn:
which one?
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline lukier

• Supporter
    • Homepage
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2018, 05:37:41 pm »
704 I fear

https://www.ebay.de/itm/TEKTRONIX-TLA704-LOGIC-ANALYZER-WITH-2-x-TLA7M4-274-channels-200MHz-2-cables-/142953989465?nav=SEARCH

I doubt your pricing. I've recently upgraded to TLA7012, moved the newer cards there and I've decided to dump the old multiple-times hacked TLA704, with old cards, at the recycling facility - it is worth less then the shipping (see TiNs offer on 715).

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2018, 05:50:00 pm »
cool, but i fear it didnt show up in my search list due to...
Möglicherweise kein Versand nach Malaysia
even if you can, i think it will be not much cheaper compared to from Taiwan :P there are many competition out there i wish you luck on your sale.

I doubt your pricing. I've recently upgraded to TLA7012, moved the newer cards there and I've decided to dump the old multiple-times hacked TLA704, with old cards, at the recycling facility - it is worth less then the shipping (see TiNs offer on 715).
its blasphemy poor 704. i think if you list it in ebay with low enough price, who knows someone might get interested from other side of the globe? but i believe some people dont want to get into hassle of packing and sending it to courier service. you might be one of them ;) its understandable due to its weight and size. there are few sold at "not quite low price", none functional, not bootable and empty space (no modules) :o

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2018, 06:21:24 pm »
704 I fear

https://www.ebay.de/itm/TEKTRONIX-TLA704-LOGIC-ANALYZER-WITH-2-x-TLA7M4-274-channels-200MHz-2-cables-/142953989465?nav=SEARCH
I agree. I got around 300 euro for my TLA704 including nice modules and a whole bunch of probes several years ago. Hmmm, checked my e-mail to make sure about the price and it turns out Lukier is the one who bought it  8) And now took it to the trash  :'(  :'(
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 06:26:16 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline lukier

• Supporter
    • Homepage
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2018, 06:55:38 pm »
its blasphemy poor 704. i think if you list it in ebay with low enough price, who knows someone might get interested from other side of the globe? but i believe some people dont want to get into hassle of packing and sending it to courier service. you might be one of them ;) its understandable due to its weight and size. there are few sold at "not quite low price", none functional, not bootable and empty space (no modules) :o

I think you underestimate how much of a boat anchor TLAs are. I hate throwing away stuff, but the old one, even with the 7AA4 card, was a real pain to use. Once I got TLA6204 (with TLA7AC4) for decent money I switched to that. Then I had to move flats, so I've decided it is good time to fight hoarding instincts and get rid of some stuff. I've sold the old P6417 probes (also to another forum member) a while ago so it wouldn't be a complete set anyway.

Item of this weight and bulkiness would be very expensive to send by courier, especially to another side of the globe. Then I don't have a car (no point in London) so I would have to rent it, packaging - all is more than this TLA and old cards are worth.

I agree with TiN and nctnico, stay away from 704 and old cards, except if maybe if you have a car and can get it for a song. If you don't need gazillion channels get one of the better USB LAs. Your back will thank you for it, believe me. For day to day work I use HT4032L that now has quite decent support in SigRok.

TLA715 and 7AA4 are useable but still often painfully slow, but at least 7AA4 has sensible capabilities and probes are to some extent forward-compatible.

TLA6204/TLA7012 are quite decent, although I don't have (and don't really need) 7BB4 card like TiN has, only 7AA4 and 7AC4.

I agree. I got around 300 euro for my TLA704 including nice modules and a whole bunch of probes several years ago. Hmmm, checked my e-mail to make sure about the price and it turns out Lukier is the one who bought it  8) And now took it to the trash  :'(  :'(

Sorry :) After my hacks (TLA721 frankenstein) there was still a bit of your hacking there left, the LCD and the power switch :)

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2018, 07:29:45 pm »
I don't think the price is that horrible, specially not inside the EU when 21% VAT is included, as well as some pod cables. That said, I'll drop the price a bit in a while if it doesn't sell. Not too much though, in that case I migth as well keep it 'just in case' and to have an XP machine handy.

I dont mind shipping to Maleisia, price would actually stay roughly the same as some of the additional cost is ofset by the drop of 21% VAT. But as mentioned, you probably have better options closer by ;)

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2018, 07:37:40 pm »
You really don't want to run Windows XP on a TLA704. There is a Pentium I @ 133MHz inside with only 64MB of memory. AFAIK these machines where introduced in the late 90's / early 2000's.

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2018, 08:07:14 pm »
Sitting on the shelf above my bench at work is my HP1661E logic analyzer. I can't remember the last time I turned it on.

At home, I have an HP16500 system that I bought many years ago for $100 -- and it included a shit-ton of the probes and grabby-guys, which is why I bought it. Again, I can't remember the last time I turned it on. (And it sounds like a jet taking off when it's on, so ugh.)

Since everything I do is in an FPGA, there's no need for the standalone logic analyzer. ChipScope or Synplify's Identify cores do the bulk of that kind of debug work.

For I2S and SPI debug, I use either a four-channel 'scope or one of the Total Phase Aardvark dongles or the Lab Nation SmartScope.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2018, 01:10:39 pm »
just minor update. i've made contact with TiN, he sent me his TLA714 + accs, i paid for the shipping cost. he adviced me to install TLA ver 5.8. i hope this link is correct (ver 5.8.151) https://www.tek.com/tla5201-software/tla-application-software-v58151 i downloaded and tried the latest version 6.1 earlier but he's not suggesting it as it will have issues with TLA714. fwiw. thanks again TiN, you are the man :-+ i'll try to make full use of the TLA714 when it arrives. btw, i think i will collect further more boat anchors in the future. i'm also eyeing for lecroy DSO, i already owned Advantest R3465 SA, i think the next diy project is a heavy duty cart ;D and clean up the lab for more spaces.

The following users thanked this post: nctnico, TiN

Offline Ferroto

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2018, 05:32:52 pm »
So I just picked up a TLA 704 along with some ebay logic probes eBay auction: #https://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-Logic-Analyzer-Cable-Probe-Test-Hook-Clip-Line-10-channels-Random-Color/172962034528?hash=item2845573360:g:T-EAAOSwoVNZ~DPo:rk:3:pf:0 and I'm having issues with the signal being loaded down when I probe a square wave from my function gen. I'm getting a 200mv voltage drop when I probe the signal with my LA despite my function generator having a 50 oHm output impedance. It's even worse if I attempt to probe the I2C outputs on my Arduino as not only does the pk-pk voltage drops to about a volt but it picks up a voltage offset as well.

*edit*
So I just measured the voltage across one of the unterminated inputs of the TLA704 and got 2.224 volts. I am getting a waveform on that same channel however only with the 50 oHm input impedance function gen which can overcome this voltage
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 05:55:06 pm by Ferroto »

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2018, 05:58:53 pm »
That link doesn't work..

Anyway, the tek pod cables have a 10k or so I think input impedance. Yours probably don't?

Offline AllTheGearNoIdea

• Supporter
    • AllTheGearNoIdea
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2018, 06:06:14 pm »
Apologies for hijacking the post but i noticed the mention of the 704.  Some of you may have seen I restoring a 704 at the moment. I have just go it to boot under its own power in windows 95.  Unfortunately the previous must have upgraded the previous version of the  software without first backing up some important files. I need an old version of the file kbmonit.exe.   the keyboard does appear to work but I dont think the encoders are working and I get a keyboard related error when the LA applications boots.  I  If you have one of these running  win 95 you probably have the file i need.  Any help greatly appreciated please send my a PM or via my Youtube channel

Thanks Regards Chris
AllTheGearNoIdea Where Its All About The Gear

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2018, 08:29:37 pm »
I'll have look when I get back in the lab. Probably friday or so.

Offline JFJ

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2018, 08:54:24 pm »
... I need an old version of the file kbmonit.exe...

I found version 3.1.23.0 of the KBMonit.exe file in a TLA704 folder on my PC. I don't know if that's old enough, but I've attached anyway. NB You will need to delete the ".txt" file extension (".exe" files can't be attached).

The following users thanked this post: AllTheGearNoIdea

Offline AllTheGearNoIdea

• Supporter
    • AllTheGearNoIdea
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2018, 07:12:16 am »
That’s was a nice surprise to wake up to this morning I will give that a try. Very kind of you to look for me many thanks. I will create post for anyone wanting the information going forward.

Thanks and Thanks again

Regards Chris

Offline AllTheGearNoIdea

• Supporter
    • AllTheGearNoIdea
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2018, 10:13:01 am »
Thanks JFJ

I have installed that file and its stopped complaining about the ke board, so Im guessing that it works. I have not been able to test the actual knobs as I assuming these are for paging through the sample data and I waiting for an aquisition module to arrive.

Cheer for all the help

Regards Chris

• Super Contributor
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 08:25:14 am by Mechatrommer »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2018, 04:01:14 pm »
the TLA714 is successfully running Windows XP now in 120GB SDD (partitioned to 24GB and 87GB) connected using SATA to 44-pin ATA adapter. Floppy and CD-Rom disabled (only for formatting next time), this improves loading speed for few seconds, BIOS no need to search for them. overall, now TLA714 loads faster 30 seconds compared to original Win2000 that came with it. Original system (Win2000) backed up using AOMEI Backupper in case later i want to search missing files... still waiting the P6860 probes, so in the mean time i still cant test the functionalities.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2018, 08:26:33 am »
Tek P6860 probes and cables arrived, out of 7 cables, after shuffling job, i have 4 complete cables with elastomers and bolt and bars retainers, so good enough for 4 ports TLA7AA4  :-+ i have one extra elastomers and 3 cables set as backup. play time is closer but i think i need to make breakout boards from those elastomers to flying leads or whatever setup necessary, got to find suitable digital board for testing also, i hope i'm on the right track. right most cable in picture is the one given by TiN that came with the TLA714, still not sure what its for, maybe specialized setup for probing directly without LA head to some memory or whatnot. and err... now i think i want to put touch screen to the TLA (through USB) ::) i found a seller that sells it along with replacement lcd for my lecroy dso, so combined order save shipping cost save time  :-+ fwiw...
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 08:29:11 am by Mechatrommer »

Offline TiN

• Super Contributor
    • xDevs.com
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2018, 01:10:11 pm »
one given by TiN that came with the TLA714, still not sure what its for, maybe specialized setup for probing directly without LA head
That probe is for connection to Intel's Lynnfield (Core i7 800 series CPU) trace port and devboards. I included it for you just as passive probe, which you can cut and experiment with. It has no value as of today anyway.

If you want to use 6860 as general purpose probe you'd need to build something like this.
YouTube | Metrology IRC Chat room | Let's share T&M documentation? Upload! No upload limits for firmwares, photos, files.

The following users thanked this post: Mechatrommer

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf