Author Topic: How to replace the meter movement in an old Simpson 260 multimeter  (Read 4170 times)

Offline w2aewTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • I usTa cuDnt speL enjinere, noW I aR wuN
    • My YouTube Channel
Here's a video I put together documenting the replacement of the meter movement in a 50+ year old Simpson 260 multimeter.

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/w2aew
FAE for Tektronix
Technical Coordinator for the ARRL Northern NJ Section

Offline staxquad

• Frequent Contributor
  • Eye Candy
Re: How to replace the meter movement in an old Simpson 260 multimeter
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 05:06:02 am »
An ebay purchased Simpson 269 came movement defective, and after determining what was wrong, stored it for a future fix, which hasn't happened almost a decade later.  Oh well....
"TEPCO Fukushima you long time"
You say Vegemite, I say Yosemite. (Ve-gem-mit-tee, Yo-zey-might)  
"For starters : you're Canadian...."

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 05:28:08 am »
Nice video, a small piece of double sided tape in a lower corner of the meter panel is great for catching bits floating around near the movement (carpet tape was used way back). I'm sure you know this... but for others, laying the meter on it's back will improve accuracy assuming it was calibrated on it's back.

Offline jh15

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 05:34:43 am »
If the movement is properly balanced, should not shift from vert to horiz. Look at the tiny spring weights on the nether end of the needle.
Tek 575 curve trcr top shape, Tek 535, Tek 465. Tek 545 Hickok clone, Tesla Model S,  Ohio Scientific c24P SBC, c-64's from club days, Giant electric bicycle, Rigol stuff, Heathkit AR-15's. Heathkit ET- 3400a trainer&interface. Starlink pizza.

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 06:05:32 am »
Ideally that is the case (the movement won't change) but many meters in my experience do change (for whatever reason be it time, treatment or construction). Of course as with any test instrument the main idea is to have an understanding of how you equipment reacts, and that is what I'd consider important.     

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf