Author Topic: HP 3458A + 82357B USB + Keysight Instrument Control -> Reading data not working  (Read 3980 times)

Offline Signal32Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Hello,

I'm trying to use a 3458A and 3457A via GPIB with the latest version of Keysight Instrument Control and a genuine 82357B USB adapter.
I would like to mention that all functions work with a 34401A, so it's likely not a defective 82357B USB adapter / corrupt software install.

The problem that I am having is that I can't read any data from the 3458A and 3457A. When I try to send a command that returns data (such as ID?) the read times out.
Non-read commands such as "DCV", "DCI", "ACV" work as expected. The instruments do get detected by the adapter, and I can see them and they show up with the correct address.

Any idea what could be the issue ? I'm assuming there are some configuration options for the USB adapter that I have to set in order to get it  to work with older HP gear, but I can't seem to be able to find them.
I tried turning off auto-device recognition via the "*IDN?" command but that did not help.

The screenshot below shows the 3458A and 3457A connected.
Any tips ?

Thanks!

Offline z01z

• Regular Contributor
I think TiN mentioned in another 82357B topic that he had to add CR or LF to the end of the commands to make it work. I'd check and try related settings in the program.

Edit: Oh well, it was a different instrument, the 3458A doesn't need that: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/using-a-raspberry-pi-with-linux-gpib-and-a-beiming-or-agilent-usb-gpib-adapter/msg910676/#msg910676.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 06:33:07 am by z01z »

Offline K5HJ

• Regular Contributor
The 3457A does not support the "*IDN?" command. Neither does the 3458, I believe.
Just do a read without any commands to read the current reading in the buffer.

Randy

Offline bingo600

• Super Contributor
The 3457 & 3458 needs an : END ALWAYS  - As the first command to set EOI when done with a gpib xmission
That must be done on every PwrOn , else you'd get read timeouts

command(HP3457,"END ALWAYS")   # Force EOI on end of data (Default off)
command(HP3458,"END ALWAYS")   # Force EOI on end of data (Default off)

/Bingo

Offline Signal32Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
The 3457 & 3458 needs an : END ALWAYS  - As the first command to set EOI when done with a gpib xmission
Bingo! I mean .. that worked, thanks a bunch!

Offline mrazik

I had the same problem but I was not succesfull. I asked Signal32 for a help (I had not any experience with GPIB) and he advised me to plug in & out the 82357B adapter. I tried it and here is the method which provide me successful:

- DMM and GPIB adapter physicaly connected
- connect a resistor at the DMM 2 wire input (e.g. 10 kOhm)
- plug USB cable from GPIB adapter in the PC USB
- run the Agilent Connection Expert (I have ver. 15.5.13009.1)
  and from its menu run Agilent IO Monitor and Agilent Interactive IO on your PC
- set blank character in EOL Sequence (Agilent Interactive IO -> Options) (i.e. no character will be send after any command)
- switch on "Start Capturing Messages" at Agilent IO Monitor
- switch on the DMM
- click "Connect" (Agilent Interactive IO -> Connect -> Connect -> Resource Name GPIB::22::INSTR)
- send command "END ALWAYS"
- try to send other commands like ID?, RESET, OHM, FREQ, DCI, NDIG "number", OHM and MATH CTHRM

I hope that my experience will be helpful for other people.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 05:17:25 am by mrazik »

The following users thanked this post: trebejo

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf