Author Topic: HP 5328A Freq. Counter upgrade  (Read 1913 times)

Offline DoogsTopic starter

• Contributor
HP 5328A Freq. Counter upgrade
« on: October 05, 2018, 08:45:33 pm »
Hi All:

Noob around here so bear with me. I just purchased a barebones 5328A and I would like to upgrade it as much as I can. I've been googling my butt off and hitting the auction sites looking for parts and manuals but quite frankly it's a little confusing with the different boards and a lack of a knowledge base to work from. Anyway so here I am asking the gurus how to go about this project and if you could point me in the right direction.
Expensive Tastes and Poor Choices!

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
Re: HP 5328A Freq. Counter upgrade
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 10:48:30 pm »
I still use this counter.  The manuals for it should be on-line.    By upgrade I assume you want to add some of the options. 

Do you have some specific question/s about the the options that were available?    If so, maybe I can help.

The following users thanked this post: Doogs

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2018, 04:57:42 pm »
  I assume that you've seen this <http://blog.thelifeofkenneth.com/2012/04/hp-5328a-universal-counter-teardown.html>.  We need more information about what you're looking for. 

The following users thanked this post: Doogs

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2018, 12:59:39 pm »
Hello Stray Electron:

See my reply to Joe for some clarification.

;DThanks for the reply

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2018, 04:17:28 pm »
    My reply to Joe seems to have dissipated into the ether but anyway. after checking out Stray Electrons link which I did see earlier but somehow skipped the critical parts there is no practical or financial reasons to upgrade my unit as it would need far more work than just buying a different piece of equipment (Boy was that ebay ad way off on the description! Fortunately after  communicating with the seller they have refunded the full amount less shipping and let me keep the counter). I may go for the precision oscillator option as I found a couple on ebay for $100 or so.

I appreciate the replies guys and I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions going forward so hopefully I won't wear out my welcome.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf