Author Topic: HP 6114A Precision Power Supply Restoration  (Read 20642 times)

Offline rstoer

• Regular Contributor
Re: HP 6114A Precision Power Supply Restoration
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2013, 06:22:07 pm »
Good job! It always nice to see something brought back to life like that.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2013, 07:17:59 pm »
i wouldnt be caught dead with such an old clunker. i was just commenting on the quality of the restoration. it looks like it came fresh off the factory.  >:D

be careful using IPA on some old HP front panels. : it dilutes and dissolves the paint.. i have damaged frontpanels of an older switching supply 6032 i believe ... wiping them off with ipa...
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline robrenzTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Real Machinist, Wannabe EE
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2013, 07:43:15 pm »
i wouldnt be caught dead with such an old clunker. i was just commenting on the quality of the restoration. it looks like it came fresh off the factory.  >:D

What do they make today that has that low ripple and stability that does not cost at least $5000.00? I realize you get a lot of other amazing functionality for that $5000.00 plus but for less than $100.00 including shipping this is more my speed. ;D
Thanks for appreciating the restoration.

Offline uoficowboy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2013, 07:48:33 pm »
I picked one of these up off of Ebay recently. It is in very good condition, though needs a bit of love in a couple of places.

Dialing in the voltage is not 100% accurate... it gets within ~10mV. Which is the specification, but still made me a bit sad. Out of curiosity I started probing around the voltage programming circuit and I noticed that it is *not* as the schematic shows. The schematic shows 5 resistors in series with switches across each resistor. For example, for the 10s of mvs, it has:

R1: 20 ohms
R2-R5: 40 ohms

It even has a nice chart showing which switch gets closed with each setting. Only problem is that that isn't how it works. The schematic is correct that there are 5 resistors in series. But how it works is that the device connects has the ability to short out one section of the 5 resistor network. So it can short out R2-R5, for example, to give 20 ohms. Further, one side of the short is always connected to either side of R1 (inner for odd settings, outer for even settings).

Just thought I'd post this in case anybody else gets confused by it. I will mention that the manual shows a picture of this section that does not quite look like Robrenz's section - instead of having a pot with shaft orthogonal to the face of the instrument, it shows a pot that is parallel with the ground and face of the instrument. So it's possible the manual on Agilent's website is out of date. I also noticed that the manual shows this device having a neon power indicator, whereas as far as I can tell it has no power indicator whatsoever.

One other thing: Robrenz is right that he does not have the original feet/stand for his device. It originally had two plastic bits that would clip into the square holes. The usefulness of these is that they hold the stand in a rigid place. Not the end of the world, but they're nice to have.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 07:51:16 pm by uoficowboy »

Offline tized

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2013, 08:32:09 pm »
Amazing work!
I'm writing some notes here, as I have two Horizon power supplies waiting to be restored.
Thanks for sharing.

Offline grumpydoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2013, 09:26:19 pm »
Makes my own attempts at repair and (a little) restoration look somewhat sad and hopeless.

Excellent work, keep it up.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf