Author Topic: HP 8494E Ref In/Out  (Read 1367 times)

Offline Ice-TeaTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
HP 8494E Ref In/Out
« on: July 07, 2018, 04:47:09 pm »
Hello gents,

I have two 8594E's, one with ref in and out connected (picture) and one without the connection. And a 8595E without as well. They obviously need to be connected if you're not using an external reference but...

- What goes wrong if you don't?
- Is the connection crititical? I don't think so... Since you can use an external one of 'sufficient amplitude' cable losses don't matter and for the same reason delay/ fase difference probably don't matter either. So... A whatever piece of coax will do?

Offline pe1oxp

• Regular Contributor
  • ~ Life is too short for QRP ~
Re: HP 8494E Ref In/Out
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 05:02:55 pm »
My 8594E had also no cable, so I made one by myself.
Cable isn't critical, it's just 10MHz, so some short peace of RG58 or RG142/400 will do the job.

Offline Tony_G

• Frequent Contributor
  • Checkout my old test gear channel (link in sig)
    • TGSoapbox
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 08:54:48 am »
I used a 6" HP 50 ohm cable I had and it worked fine. I also tried it with a 36" one and didn't notice any difference.

Did you make a mod to that scope? The normal/typical connector is a HP 1250-1499 Reference Connector (can't find an image now but it looks like a little bar with 2 bnc connectors on one side).

TonyG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2018, 11:25:46 am »
I bought it like this... So, not an original part? Good to know...

Offline Miti

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2018, 02:05:26 pm »
The HP8590 series of spectrum analyzers come with two reference oscillator options AFAIK, regular TCXO and high stability OCXO. You can also connect an external GPSDO, rubidium, atomic or whatever reference you have in your lab, hence the external connection.
All your internal frequencies are derived from the PLL oscillator that locks on the reference input. If you don't connect them, all your frequency measurements will be at the hand of a very inaccurate and unstable, approximately 600MHz oscillator.
The original BNC adaptor is on the left but I used the cable on the right with no problems. As long as it is 50 Ohm (or at that length probably even that doesn't matter) you are ok.

Edit: Looking at the block schematic, the reference PLL controls a 600MHz VCO so I adjusted my post accordingly.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 07:37:26 pm by Miti »
Fear does not stop death, it stops life.

Offline Tony_G

• Frequent Contributor
  • Checkout my old test gear channel (link in sig)
    • TGSoapbox
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2018, 07:32:08 am »
[Interesting the image shows reversed between small and large on my machine - updated my text for the thumbnail image version]

The rectangular one on the left is the original one for the 8560 & 8590 series SAs. The BNC on the right is a common reference connector for many pieces of HP kit though.

TonyG
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 08:58:25 am by Tony_G »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2018, 08:04:48 am »
Well, got some regular BNC on the way. Doesn't seem very critical  even though I see the benefit of having a completely flat backend of the scope.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf