Author Topic: HP 8903B USB GPIB not Work  (Read 8036 times)

Offline Tony_G

• Frequent Contributor
  • Checkout my old test gear channel (link in sig)
    • TGSoapbox
Re: HP 8903B USB GPIB not Work
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2018, 11:58:39 pm »
Just tried it with the Keysight stuff deleted and it still worked so it my just have been, as we say in the trade, a UUMW (Unexplained Unreproducible Momentary Weirdness).

Here was the error though - this can be ignored:

TonyG

Offline GasGasTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2018, 11:59:32 pm »
I did the setup as you explained:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4ktcob5mzjnsfwh/Sem%20t%C3%ADtulo.png?dl=0

I can open Pete Millet software:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vof7rtipe0r25ql/Sem%20t%C3%ADtulo%203.png?dl=0

However, when I select start in the icon of the software, without any equipment connected the inputs / outputs of the HP8903 I get this message:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a3prtlhsbyl3ugv/Sem%20t%C3%ADtulo%202.png?dl=0

Do you have any idea what I can do to solve this problem?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 01:06:00 am by GasGas »

Offline Tony_G

• Frequent Contributor
    • TGSoapbox
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2018, 01:52:45 am »
So we're back to the issue of whether or not you can talk to the 8903B. We're never verified that.

First step, open the "Keysight Connection Expert" and find your instrument. Mine is GPIB0::8::INSTR (Yours should be GPIB0::28::INSTR) and then right click on it and select "Check Connection Status":

Once it has checked, the box around the icon should go green if it can communicate. If it is green then right click again and select "Send commands to this instrument". That will open the Keysight Interactive IO utility for your instruments address:

In the Interactive IO utility, click the "Device Clear" button - You should hear the unit click and the front panel should look like this (with nothing connected) - Note whether the Remote and Addressed annunciators are lit:

The type M2 into the command text box and send it - You should hear a soft click and the unit should look like this - Note the Remote and Addressed annunciators should be lit and the SINAD measurement selected:

If the above doesn't happen then there is a fault in either the cable, the 82357B or the GPIB port on the 8903B. I would start by swapping out the cable if you're using one. If the 82357B is directly connected to the 8903B then you should ensure that it is properly seated and the contacts are clean. If that is the case and it still doesn’t work then I would get another GPIB adapter and try that - Anything will work as you're just testing whether it is the 82357B - You could use an NI card, a Prologix, An Arduino adapter, etc.

If you have swapped all of this then the issue is in the GPIB part of the 8903B - The service manuals can be downloaded from the Keysight website.

TonyG

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2018, 10:59:43 am »
I did the communication test using the Keysight Connection Expert and the result was negative, there is no communication with the 8903B.

I removed the USB-GPIB interface and connected it to an HP 66332A power supply and using the same Keysight Connection Expert I also did not succeed without communication. This test with the HP 66332A font is also valid, right?

I believe there is no doubt that the USB Interface GPIB is faulty. It's frustrating, I've waited 5 months to receive and the deadline for return by Ebay has run out.

I still have a hope ... I downloaded the version Keysight IO Libraries Suite 2018 Update 0.2 and could not install it on my computer because the system warns that I need the .net framework software 4.6.2. I'm trying to do the same, but so far I have not been successful.

When I can install it, I will try again to communicate the program with 8903.

Thank you very much for your great help.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 02:24:18 pm by GasGas »

Offline Tony_G

• Frequent Contributor
    • TGSoapbox
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2018, 02:45:21 pm »
Sorry to hear about the controller - At least you have something to be able to try and address rather than a nebulous problem (the controller failing on both pieces of gear is a strong pointer to it being faulty).

The Offline Installer for .NET FX 4.6.2 is here - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=53344 - You can download that and install it (though the Keysight installer should chain it in but maybe it is a network throughput thing).

TonyG

• Contributor
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2018, 11:56:33 pm »
After spending hours configuring my computer's windows, other versions of the IO Libraries and nothing working, that is, not the communication between the computer and HP, I believe that nothing else remains for me to do.

Thank you very much for all your help.

• Contributor
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2018, 05:05:22 pm »
I got a used GPIB-PCI card from National Instruments here in Brazil. Now I finally got the communication between 8903 and Pete Milett software. However, I only succeeded by installing the NI driver for Win7, with the driver for WinXP the card was not recognized by Windows

Offline velik_kazakov

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2018, 10:00:51 am »
I got a used GPIB-PCI card from National Instruments here in Brazil. Now I finally got the communication between 8903 and Pete Milett software. However, I only succeeded by installing the NI driver for Win7, with the driver for WinXP the card was not recognized by Windows
Hi, I have the same problems with my HP8903. Now get the NI PCI GPIB card and want to ask , can you share the driver version and other details for your setup.
Thank you in advance!

new update - all is ok now. Just install Service pack 2 for win 7 64bit and all work well.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 10:28:59 am by velik_kazakov »
Sorry for my bad English!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf