Author Topic: HP SpecAn EEROM  (Read 1868 times)

Offline outremerTopic starter

• Contributor
HP SpecAn EEROM
« on: September 03, 2017, 02:50:06 pm »
Hi all !

I got recently a used HP 8563E specan. The instrument works well, but there seems to be a broken EEROM (U501 on A2 control board). Error 700 shows up as
soon as I activate a function involving the EEROM (I would have called this an EEPROM).
This issue does  not impair the instrument measurement capability but will not allow to save a power-on configuration for example. I checked for
a replacement at Agilent-Keysight's but no luck, there is no support for a 20 plus year old equipment. The guy is an 28 pin socketed IC, hopefully not
but maybe an HP custom made piece.
Any ideas where to get this?

Best regards

Phil

Offline rfdes

• Regular Contributor
Re: HP SpecAn EEROM
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 05:32:19 pm »
If you have access to a device reader/programmer, I would pop out that part and see if it is really faulty.  The problem could reside elsewhere.
Good luck -
Jim

The following users thanked this post: outremer

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 08:54:06 pm »
Thanks Jim,

I do not have access to a EPROM reader/programmer so far. This EEROM has to be replaced in the powered on instrument as stated in the service manual (first copy the data into RAM, then replace the EEROM, copy the data back to EEROM). This ROM probably also harbours the the device's firmware, so loosing the data would be really annoying. Apparently reading the ROM is OK but not writing . I could not find any circuit drawing of the instrument showing how the EEROM is written. I don't want to harm an instrument with less than 1600 working hours.

Regards Phil  FM5GB

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 04:59:11 pm »
Solved

I got the replacement chip and changed it. Now everything works nicely on the specan.

Regards

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf