Author Topic: [solved!] Function generator, mainly for audio applications (D/EU)  (Read 4663 times)

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
Re: Please recommend: Function generator, mainly for audio applications (D/EU)
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2019, 04:06:39 pm »
I recently got a FY6600 at a bargain price and, although I haven't yet done a full characterization here, it seems quite a good device.

I also have a "boatanchor" HP3314A that is absolutely excellent and accurate, but it is noisy and takes a lot of space.

For audio I am always on the lookout for Krohn Hite oscillators (the ultra low distortion 4400 comes to mind). I wouldn't refuse a Keithley 2015 as well (it has a built in sinewave generator). But these are not full function generators.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 11:52:35 am by rsjsouza »
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Cnoob

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2019, 04:16:15 pm »
Feedback Function Generators often turn up on ebay.

Offline frozenfrogzTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Having fun with Arduino and Raspberry Pi
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2019, 10:23:21 am »
I will go with the Rigol DG812. Seems to be a similar deal as with the DS1054Z scope - provides all the things I need and more for a decent price.
In what future scenario would I benefit from going for the higher bandwidth (DG822) model?
Any reasons I might regret saving 30€ now and taking the 10MHz unit?

#noobquestions

:)
He’s like a trained ape. Without the training.

Offline Zenith

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2019, 12:01:03 pm »
There are all sorts of reasons which might cause you regret not buying the DG822 model, as your interests and needs develop, but I can see nothing definite from what you've said about why you want this.

It's been my experience that if the camera with the F2.8 lens or the 1.6l car is adequate for your needs, but you're tempted by the F1.8 lens or the 2.0l car, and it's not that much extra money, go for the better option, because you are never quite satisfied with the cheaper one.

My guess is that you'd find the DG812 gave you everything you need for a long time.

The following users thanked this post: frozenfrogz

Offline exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2019, 02:22:59 pm »
24 bit audio converters require jitter better than 5 ps.

One of reasons why the number of effective bits are less than 24 in real audio applications :).

FY6600/6800 produces 5 ns jitter which spours will be in audible range even for old 16 bit CD quality.

Measurable != audible. I'm not sure how jitter of 5ns is defined, but maximum jitter is not the same as, say, average jitter, or jitter between consecutive bits. Or, as wikipedia says, wander != jitter. I think plots you showed assume that there is +-5ns period change between bits.

Anyway, I'm arguing that a good sound card is better for audio (or audio analyzers) in many regards than most general equipment. Any suggestions for an external audio card suitable for the role?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2019, 04:53:32 pm »
Actually I do have a couple of external audio interfaces at my studio space. These are all 24-bit AD/DA devices. (MOTU 828 MKII, MOTU 24i, MOTU 2408 MKII) I might give the computerized solution a go some time.
However, for my small home lab I am currently better of with a dedicated stand-alone solution.
Rigol DG812 and Feeltech FY6800 should both be capable of more than I actually need at the moment.
Decisions, decisions...
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 05:01:30 pm by frozenfrogz »

• Frequent Contributor
To conclude my initial post: I went with the Rigol DG812. Got it a week ago and after a bit of struggle with the UI (some options can only be accessed via touch screen - needs a bit getting used to), I am very happy with my purchase.
I think this will serve me well in the next couple of years. :)

Thank you all for chiming in with your recommendations!

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf