Author Topic: Inside the Fluke 1587FC Insulation Multimeter  (Read 2662 times)

Offline threephaseTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Inside the Fluke 1587FC Insulation Multimeter
« on: October 29, 2018, 09:30:12 pm »
I took a look at a Fluke 1587FC insulation multimeter, more out of a curiosity of how it interacted with the Fluke Connect App. The specifications for the insulation testing side aren't that good, although it has DAR and PI ratio tests built in, the low full scale of the insulation test ranges means there is a high likelihood of the meter going into error during the test.

The Fluke Connect did work very well, saving the data to an iPad, I could then either email out the results in an Excel format to generate a basic PDF report within the App for, that could again be emailed out.

Overall a nice quality instrument, good quality leads and accessories, although I did find that the GS38 caps obstructed access to the smaller size terminals, more of an issue if you use the remote control probe as the general probes are standard 4mm connector and easily replaced.

More in depth review and test results available in my element14 blog:-

https://www.element14.com/community/groups/test-and-measurement/blog/2018/10/21/fluke-f1587fc-insulation-tester-review

Kind regards

• Regular Contributor
Re: Inside the Fluke 1587FC Insulation Multimeter
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2018, 09:39:12 pm »
1587FC has a bluetooth wireless connection to either an iPhone or iPad, I only used it with an iPad and never had any connection issues. There was no need to pair them within the iPad settings, the 1587FC is automatically detected by the software.

The software does not control the instrument, it only collects data from it, so all test setups need to be selected on the instrument but this could be done whilst connected to the App. The meter does not have any internal memory, so you can only save readings if you an iPad or iPhone with you, great until you work on a site where they are banned.

The App does save a huge amount of data, 3 to 4 readings per second. I ended up with a little over 200 readings for a DAR test and 2000 readings for a PI test. Bit over the top for this kind of testing, so some Excel manipulation required for reports.

The data is also a one off recording, you cannot carry out any comparison between different readings, without exporting the data to Excel.

Kind regards

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2018, 09:49:13 pm »
Meter was found to be way more accurate than the specifications provided by the manufacturer, although in comparison to other meters it does have a lower resolution, I noticed this more when measuring winding resistances, but for insulation tests, the lower resolution isn't much of an issue.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2018, 09:52:37 pm »
A couple of the tests carried out on a motor in storage. The first one show the low resolution during the winding resistance test. The second one shows the overhang result at 1000V IR test and the third shows the error from a DAR test.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2018, 09:55:22 pm »
To the internals, really nice high quality build and design.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2018, 09:57:49 pm »
More photos with the PCB removed

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2018, 10:00:19 pm »
Final set of photos for the insides.

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2018, 10:09:07 pm »
Whatever happened to nice symmetrical rotary switch contacts? Those gold plated contact fingers look horribly biassed - drag one way, dig and twist the other.  :-\
Best Regards, Chris

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2018, 10:16:36 pm »
No the rotary switch contacts are not symmetrical, they are slightly shaped to prevent digging in. Must confess that it is not something that had really occurred to me.

Kind regards

The following users thanked this post: 001

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf