Author Topic: Invitation to participate in the new Tektronix FB group  (Read 9895 times)

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
Re: Invitation to participate in the new Tektronix FB group
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2018, 04:55:38 am »
it is quite different, cause in FB it`s way easier to share pictures and videos, which also makes it easier for certain repairs. Btw, I started the group, so, as I said you are all invited to join if you want.

Facebook lacks the features of a mailing list and includes features which make it more difficult to use so no thanks.  Why should I participate in something which is actively user hostile?

....and a mailing list lacks the features of FB. Pretty image/video hostile compared to FB I must say...

A few people have already posted requests for help and it did work quite good, it is pretty easy and straight forward helping out over there. It can be argued that the search engine sucks... and it does suck. But it´s no like here in the forums or with the mailing lists people search before asking... in fact I see quite often that the same friggin question is asked over and over and over again.

I see a lot of prejudice and stubbornness here and at groups.io...

I would rather give up easy hosting of picture and video than give up search capability and threaded discussions.  The volume of traffic on technical emails lists would overwhelm any web based forum including this one.

Those groups.io lists left Yahoo for many of the same reasons that make Facebook or any other common web forum unacceptable.  If there is an acceptable web only forum, then I have not found it.  And at least the hosting issues for pictures and video on an email list can be fixed.  Nothing is going to fix Yahoo or Facebook and they only keep getting slower.  My email client has only gotten faster over the years.

Eternal September means that those who do understand threading are condemned to reinvent it. - Me

The following users thanked this post: BradC, Electro Detective, qu1j0t3

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2018, 08:53:23 am »
Eternal September means that those who do understand threading are condemned to reinvent it. - Me

Eternal September means that those who do understand threading are condemned to reinvent it poorly.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2018, 08:57:11 am »
in fact I see quite often that the same friggin question is asked over and over and over again.

Indeed.

Now how do you expect a new group will change that?
Have you considered that without search the same question will be asked even more often?
When a question is asked again, how will people be able to refer to an answer given earlier? (Or will they "have" to waste their lives repeating an answer?)
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline The GuyTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2018, 04:52:45 pm »
in fact I see quite often that the same friggin question is asked over and over and over again.

Indeed.

Have you considered that without search the same question will be asked even more often?
When a question is asked again, how will people be able to refer to an answer given earlier? (Or will they "have" to waste their lives repeating an answer?)

ok lets put it this way... some people like coke some people like pepsi, coke drinkers think pepsi sucks and pepsi drinkers think that coke suck. And other people think that all the coke-alike drinks suck and they like fanta instead.

Get the idea? It is a futile argument. The reality is that variety exists to satisfy all the different tastes, and they`re all valid. But narrow minded egotist people insist on placing their own preferences as the ultimate truth... but NEWSFLASH!! ...truth or reality is never one-sided, in reality truth and reality always have infinite sides. That´s why humanity has been arguing over almost every single little detail for like the last two thousand years without agreeing on anything. Heck, there is a group of people that swear the earth is flat for Pete´s sake... and they are right to believe that to some extent, cause ultimately that`s what they see with their own eyes, they don`t think a lot gotta reckon, but that`s what they see and we can`t deny that.

...see the point? People from one side of the car will swear the car is red and that´s totally valid if you see things from their perspective... but people from the other side will swear and fight to death about the fact that the car is friggin green... and they`re also right considering things from their perspective. And they will end up calling each other "crazy" most probably.... But the truth of the matter is that no one is crazy or stupid, but still both groups of people are wrong.

...ok what I am trying to say with this "mumbo jumbo" is that the FB group, despite the fact that it lacks a decent search engine, is still a valid alternative for people that might even be way smarter than you.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 05:25:54 pm by The Guy »

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2018, 07:41:11 pm »

Indeed.

ok lets put it this way... some people like coke some people like pepsi, coke drinkers think pepsi sucks and pepsi drinkers think that coke suck. And other people think that all the coke-alike drinks suck and they like fanta instead.

Get the idea? It is a futile argument. The reality is that variety exists to satisfy all the different tastes, and they`re all valid. But narrow minded egotist people insist on placing their own preferences as the ultimate truth... but NEWSFLASH!! ...truth or reality is never one-sided, in reality truth and reality always have infinite sides. That´s why humanity has been arguing over almost every single little detail for like the last two thousand years without agreeing on anything. Heck, there is a group of people that swear the earth is flat for Pete´s sake... and they are right to believe that to some extent, cause ultimately that`s what they see with their own eyes, they don`t think a lot gotta reckon, but that`s what they see and we can`t deny that.
<snipped picture of car>
 ...see the point? People from one side of the car will swear the car is red and that´s totally valid if you see things from their perspective... but people from the other side will swear and fight to death about the fact that the car is friggin green... and they`re also right considering things from their perspective. And they will end up calling each other "crazy" most probably.... But the truth of the matter is that no one is crazy or stupid, but still both groups of people are wrong.

...ok what I am trying to say with this "mumbo jumbo" is that the FB group, despite the fact that it lacks a decent search engine, is still a valid alternative for people that might even be way smarter than you.

I am content to leave others to judge the tone and content of your post.

As I wrote earlier in https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/invitation-to-participate-a-new-tektronix-fb-group/msg1433233/#msg1433233
and I thought you agreed in https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/invitation-to-participate-a-new-tektronix-fb-group/msg1433560/#msg1433560
... There is a developing tendency for people to:
  • describe the world in black and white terms
  • ignore nuanced counter-arguments
  • denigrate people that hold a different view
  • refuse to address differing opinions, except as above
The world is becoming nastier.

Good luck with your facebook group

The following users thanked this post: The Guy

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2018, 07:47:26 pm »

Indeed.

That is not an answer to the question. A collection of information (or any collection) is only useful if it has a way to see/search what is inside the collection. Without some kind of index a collection is just a pile of junk.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2018, 11:09:30 pm »
"All I did was ask what the Delayed Sweep Time  -knob-  does,

clicked "Like" on some Tek 466 pictures,

now FB admin demands to know my phone number,

or my account frozen indefinitely due to a 'complaint' about inappropriate language

Boo hoo hoo...  :'("

« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 11:56:54 pm by Electro Detective »

Offline Jwalling

• Supporter
  • This is work?
« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2018, 12:27:48 pm »

Indeed.

That is not an answer to the question. A collection of information (or any collection) is only useful if it has a way to see/search what is inside the collection. Without some kind of index a collection is just a pile of junk.

IMHO, having many places to post information about a certain topic only fragments information. I think it's best to put all the data in one place where it can be found easily. The tekscopes group is the best place for all things Tektronix. And Facebook Sucks anyway.
Jay

System error. Strike any user to continue.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2018, 03:28:55 pm »

Indeed.

...unless you intention is not having a collection of information but rather a group of people willing to interact with each other.

In other words... you want Coke and I want Fanta.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 03:33:12 pm by The Guy »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2018, 03:46:40 pm »

I am content to leave others to judge the tone and content of your post.

As I wrote earlier in https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/invitation-to-participate-a-new-tektronix-fb-group/msg1433233/#msg1433233
and I thought you agreed in https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/invitation-to-participate-a-new-tektronix-fb-group/msg1433560/#msg1433560
... There is a developing tendency for people to:
  • describe the world in black and white terms
  • ignore nuanced counter-arguments
  • denigrate people that hold a different view
  • refuse to address differing opinions, except as above
The world is becoming nastier.

Good luck with your facebook group

hey man, I am sorry if I wasn`t able to put the proper tone in my writing, english is not my mother langauge and sometimes i struggle finding the proper tone... though I gotta reckon, I`m not the polite type of guy. That`s not part of my culture... In my country we value honesty above politeness.

Anyway, I was elaborating about the agreement we had earlier in a way. Also, by "narrow minded egotist people" I wasn`t referring about you, I was referring about those intransigent people that think you`re an asshole if you don`t think like them.

Have a good one,

Cheers.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf