Author Topic: Invitation to participate in the new Tektronix FB group  (Read 9898 times)

Offline The GuyTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Invitation to participate in the new Tektronix FB group
« on: February 18, 2018, 12:19:37 am »
hey there!

I would like to invite yall to the new FB group "old tek scopes". It is going to be a pretty nice group i think, in fact we already have a really cool bunch of Tektronix fans and die-hards on board.

Go take a look ;)

Cheers!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 12:21:25 am by The Guy »

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
Re: Invitation to participate in the new Tektronix FB group
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 12:28:03 am »
Or  you could just subscribe to the tekscope mailing lists which have been around for years and are already well established.

The following users thanked this post: Alex Eisenhut, qu1j0t3

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 12:33:21 am »
Or  you could just subscribe to the tekscope mailing lists which have been around for years and are already well established.

+1 , there are tons of Tek resources that have been accumulated for maybe decades ?

It was on yahoo group, but now it's been moved to -> https://groups.io/g/TekScopes/ , better ask to join there rather than re-creating it again from zero.

The following users thanked this post: qu1j0t3

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 12:35:23 am »

it is quite different, cause in FB it`s way easier to share pictures and videos, which also makes it easier for certain repairs. Btw, I started the group, so, as I said you are all invited to join if you want.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 12:37:56 am by The Guy »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 12:39:12 am »

+1 , there are tons of Tek resources that have been accumulated for maybe decades ?

It was on yahoo group, but now it's been moved to -> https://groups.io/g/TekScopes/ , better ask to join there rather than re-creating it again from zero.

It is not a re-creation, it is an alternative.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018, 12:42:40 am »
Who actually has a FB account?
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: TiN, 2N3055, Electro Detective

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2018, 12:48:05 am »

It is not a re-creation, it is an alternative.

Good luck on your quest.

Happy to be proven wrong, its just I've been reading these Tek old gray beard fellas for years, most don't and/or hate FB. At least not for discussing technical matter.

The following users thanked this post: The Guy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2018, 12:52:49 am »

...something around 20 billion people  :o

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2018, 01:03:07 am »
Ofcourse I meant sensible people. You know, the ones who don't post pictures of what they have for dinner or what they just left in the toilet.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2018, 01:05:29 am »

Horseshit.

Offline TurboSam

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2018, 01:05:49 am »
Happy to be proven wrong, its just I've been reading these Tek old gray beard fellas for years, most don't and/or hate FB. At least not for discussing technical matter.

+1.  I've lived plenty of decades without FB and suspect the I am likely to live much longer without it than with it.

An additional +1 for both of the Tek groups on Groups.io
Paralysis by analysis.

The following users thanked this post: TiN, qu1j0t3, Synthtech

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2018, 01:08:25 am »
Gee whiz, what a bunch of old ladies in here.  :palm:  He just formed that Old Tek Group and he already has 213 members. I think it's a great idea and I joined too. I just haven't posted yet.

Any resource for our old equipment is welcome for me regardless of where it comes from. And yes, the Yahoo Tek Group, now moved to another platform, is a good resource but my experience with those "old grey beards" is that they can sometimes be stingy with information and even a little belligerent (even though I'm a grey beard myself).

So, give the guy a break....let's see where it goes.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 01:10:37 am by med6753 »
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: JPortici, The Guy

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2018, 01:11:04 am »

it is quite different, cause in FB it`s way easier to share pictures and videos, which also makes it easier for certain repairs.

And impossible to search for the posts and pictures in 3 years time. If you can't find the information when you need it, it doesn't exist.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2018, 01:11:53 am »

Horseshit.

yea... some horseshit too probably.

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2018, 01:16:15 am »

Horseshit.

I figured you'd miss the point. What is the current population estimate of the planet?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2018, 01:17:09 am »

it is quite different, cause in FB it`s way easier to share pictures and videos, which also makes it easier for certain repairs.

And impossible to search for the posts and pictures in 3 years time. If you can't find the information when you need it, it doesn't exist.

Well of course it wont work as a resource, that´s when this forum and groups.io tekgroup comes into play. But if you post a question you you will be able to easily follow the thread until you get your issue resolved. or if you love tek stuff likeme and use facebook for certain stuff you will be able to enjoy and see great content in your feed. If you hate FB then obviously this invitation is not for you ;)

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2018, 01:18:26 am »
Gee whiz, what a bunch of old ladies in here.  :palm:  He just formed that Old Tek Group and he already has 213 members. I think it's a great idea and I joined too. I just haven't posted yet.

Any resource for our old equipment is welcome for me regardless of where it comes from. And yes, the Yahoo Tek Group, now moved to another platform, is a good resource but my experience with those "old grey beards" is that they can sometimes be stingy with information and even a little belligerent (even though I'm a grey beard myself).

So, give the guy a break....let's see where it goes.

Let's take that argument a few stages further... Let's all make a group somewhere or other, and then see how easy it is to get everybody to consider your question.

There's are several reasons that duplicate posts in different sub-forums are locked by this site's admins. If there are multiple competing forums then there will, necessarily, have to be duplicate posts - and the same problems will apply.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2018, 01:19:16 am »

Horseshit.

I figured you'd miss the point. What is the current population estimate of the planet?

20 billion people plus an ignorant and one asshole? ...no offence... just joking ;)

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2018, 01:20:38 am »

Well of course it wont work as a resource, that´s when this forum and groups.io tekgroup comes into play. But if you post a question you you will be able to easily follow the thread until you get your issue resolved. or if you love tek stuff likeme and use facebook for certain stuff you will be able to enjoy and see great content in your feed. If you hate FB then obviously this invitation is not for you ;)

The point is those threads *are* the resource, and by using Facebook to work through them you lose the ability to reference them years down the track. Yeah, *you* get instant gratification but in the process you lose the ability for someone to learn from your journey in 10 years time.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2018, 01:27:26 am »

Well of course it wont work as a resource, that´s when this forum and groups.io tekgroup comes into play.

Creating a worthwhile question takes time. Creating a worthwhile answer takes time.

Is it better to spend that time on creating something that will be useful now and in the future to multiple people - or something that will be useful now to a few people, and not later to more people?

But if you post a question you you will be able to easily follow the thread until you get your issue resolved.

It is easier on the email reflectors, since the multi-level threading of sub-threads is very visible in an email client. Facebook has only two or three levels.

or if you love tek stuff likeme and use facebook for certain stuff you will be able to enjoy and see great content in your feed. If you hate FB then obviously this invitation is not for you ;)

I don't hate facebook, but I do understand the limitations in its design objectives. IMNSHO facebook isn't the best tool for these purposes (but it is better for others, e.g. where friends went yesterday)

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2018, 01:37:14 am »
Well... i guess around 200 engineers (including a former Tek head-engineer that worked with Vollum), scientists and technicians that already joined think different.

My point is, it is an alternative for people that like the idea, if you don`t like it and think it is the crappiest idea ever then obviously it is not for you. Which is absolutely fine.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 03:57:09 am by The Guy »

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2018, 03:46:09 pm »
Joined. Despite I don't have any Tek gear, it is always cool to see what others are doing with them.

Regarding critics, around here it seems there's a feud against FB, based on the perceived "reality" that engineers don't fall prey to Zuckerman's devices - somewhat disconnected from the reality as a while ago a small voting here at the forum showed (IIRC) about 50% had a FB account. Oh well... Each to its own.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline qu1j0t3

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2018, 12:40:38 am »

it is quite different, cause in FB it`s way easier to share pictures and videos, which also makes it easier for certain repairs. Btw, I started the group, so, as I said you are all invited to join if you want.

TekScopes has a Photos/uploads area that's quite easy to use.

Yes, this is another +1 to joining the established community.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2018, 01:42:33 am »

I think you'll very quickly learn that engineers hate using Facebook, especially for groups and the like.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, TiN

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2018, 01:44:49 am »
Regarding critics, around here it seems there's a feud against FB, based on the perceived "reality" that engineers don't fall prey to Zuckerman's devices - somewhat disconnected from the reality as a while ago a small voting here at the forum showed (IIRC) about 50% had a FB account. Oh well... Each to its own.

Having a Facebook account and actually using it regularly are two different things. And using it regularly for groups is another thing entirely.
This "reality" among engineers to snub Facebook for such things is very well known in the engineering marketing community.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2018, 09:00:51 am »

Having a Facebook account and actually using it regularly are two different things. And using it regularly for groups is another thing entirely.
This "reality" among engineers to snub Facebook for such things is very well known in the engineering marketing community.

Just so.

Engineers want to build things that last, not just have an ephemeral "2 weeks and they're gone" lifetime.

The following users thanked this post: newbrain

Online JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2018, 09:37:16 am »

well actually you *can* (for now, of course)

I don't mind the facebook group as i don't mind using anything that's convenient. Browsing this forum on my smartphone? convenient! There's the tapatalk plugin activated.
Browsing forums on a smartphone that don't have an associated app is a pain.
And i find mailing lists to be a pain too, it's harder for me to keep track of conversations, quotes.. groups.io is supposed to make things easier but for me it hasn't..
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 09:42:22 am by JPortici »

Online JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2018, 09:41:21 am »

eh, i find facebook to be a great resource for certain (more local) communities, such as
-> italian synthesizers community.. i actually met a lot of people there
-> italian electronics groups
-> the muffwiggler and synth diy, the muffwiggler forum has never worked reliably in the past couple of years due to a myriad of issues..

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2018, 10:17:15 am »
And i find mailing lists to be a pain too, it's harder for me to keep track of conversations, quotes..

Why is that? I find email easier and better in many ways...

With email I preserve only those responses that I guess will be interesting in the future.
With email each sub-thread is kept separate, so I can quickly ignore/delete sub-threads that become boring/irrelevant.
With email each sub-thread is kept separate, so I can easily follow sub-discussions.

OTOH, web interface enables easy and effective searching of an entire archive. But, as far as I can see, Facebook's searching is poor and the results aren't guaranteed - that negates the advantage of a web interface.

So, I choose the tool suited to the task at hand: email for browsing, web interface for searching.

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2018, 10:25:17 am »
OTOH, web interface enables easy and effective searching of an entire archive. But, as far as I can see, Facebook's searching is poor and the results aren't guaranteed - that negates the advantage of a web interface.

Dunno if I'm so noob in FB, there is no advance search at least, every search must be type into the generic search box which is quite annoying, as we can't do more refined scope of search.

Simple example, want to search certain keywords, "but" posted by one particular member, how can you do that in FB group ? Or add within this search, date range and etc.

CMIIW

Online JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2018, 10:41:00 am »
You can! problem with facebook is that they keep changing the way they do these things, from both the app and the website.

So yeah, i partly agree with you

Anyway, this is how searching is working this week.. (from the computer website)
inside a group, search for the phrase.

Bottom left, you have the "source" field, by default it's set to all. you can select yourself, your friends, and a + button. there you can enter specific profiles names.
then you can filter by location, by date, order by popularity or chronological order.

you can do the same from the facebook app (android, don't know for ios)
type what you want to look for in the search bar on top. select the "group" tab so it will search inside the group. there you have the same set of filters...

regarding mailing lists, i used to be an avid reader (and sometimes even contributor) of the piclist when i had an hotmail account.. for many years they had a beautiful threaded view for mailing lists, everything sorted by thread and subthreads, messages only showed the relevant content... all went to crap around the time they launched windows 8 and updated the look.  :--
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 10:47:19 am by JPortici »

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2018, 11:15:50 am »
You can! problem with facebook is that they keep changing the way they do these things, from both the app and the website.

With the hope and wish that I can live long, and play with with my T&M toys (old & new) for decades ahead, the "consistency" on every aspect of it, is become sort of way of life.

Threaded view style where I'm used to and also can peacefully browse the discussion "titles" without distracting photos, smileys, silly web page gimmicks like FB does and etc is also becoming the thing I'm happy with and DON'T LIKE to change for the rest of my life. I know what I want.

May be its just me.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2018, 01:18:09 pm »
I will hang my head in shame and admit I am on FB.  I only have certain family members and dear friends scattered around the country.  I abhor stupid posts and have winnowed the friends list down from people who do stupid posts, including family. 
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2018, 01:36:17 pm »
regarding mailing lists, i used to be an avid reader (and sometimes even contributor) of the piclist when i had an hotmail account.. for many years they had a beautiful threaded view for mailing lists, everything sorted by thread and subthreads, messages only showed the relevant content... all went to crap around the time they launched windows 8 and updated the look.  :--

I use an email client, not a browser, for all my email accounts. The application I use hasn't changed in a decade, and even if the application disappeared I wouldn't lose my email since it is stored in plain-vanilla mbox format.

I don't have many examples of saved threaded TekScopes conversations, since I prune them heavily. However one example is below. For me, that threading is necessary and sufficient.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 01:38:43 pm by tggzzz »

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2018, 01:57:57 pm »
I will hang my head in shame and admit I am on FB.  I only have certain family members and dear friends scattered around the country.  I abhor stupid posts and have winnowed the friends list down from people who do stupid posts, including family.

I have a Facebook account, and use it for social purposes that I won't care about in 1 months time. It is a reasonable tool for that job.

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2018, 02:18:53 pm »
I don't have many examples of saved threaded TekScopes conversations, since I prune them heavily.

Whereas I have a complete archive dating back to my joining in 2010 because "storage is cheap". My total current archive for the TekScopes2 list runs to 83M.
I also archive a couple of other lists I have no intention of letting slip by. There is *always* something in there worth looking at, and it's easier for me to just store it and search it later than it is to prune and organise.

Many times have I searched for something years after I first spotted it only to find the forum/archive gone in its entirety. The wayback machine (internet archive) is sometimes helpful, but anything stored in any system subject to the whim of investors/advertisers and tailored around a 20 second attention span seems to lead to long term disappointment and the loss of a more robust knowledge base.

It's not about "wah wah wah us oldies don't want to join facebook". It's about every discussion having sufficient value to want to keep it around for future reference, and facebook just doesn't tick those boxes (for me).

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2018, 07:29:23 pm »
Here's an example of why Facebook will never be used for anything other than ephemera...

I was idly browsing down my newsfeed, when FB prevented me from going any further because I wasn't behaving in a way that FB wanted me to behave - as shown in the screenshot. Presumably I wasn't making them enough money. F??k o?? was the phrase that sprang to my mind (use the usual globbing regexp :) )

No wonder millenials are deserting FB.

The following users thanked this post: qu1j0t3

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2018, 02:17:57 am »

I think you'll very quickly learn that engineers hate using Facebook, especially for groups and the like.

To be honest what I am learning is that there is a pretty big group of engineers that hate FB (for whatever reason) that think that any smart person should hate it too... and I am also learning that there is another big group of very smart unprejudiced professionals that don`t give a crap about what other people think that use Facebook for certain things, like participating in some groups for instance.

I reckon FB doesn`t lend itself quite well to in-depth conversations, but it is pretty good if you want to get an idea about what is happening out there regarding some of the different areas of human endeavors.

Anyway.... FB, forums, email, etc. are all very poor and restricted ways of communicating compared to the "good ole" personal meeting. At the end of the day they`re all the same crap, but they just exist and we use them to some extent for certain things. Not big deal...
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 02:35:37 am by The Guy »

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2018, 02:26:57 am »
its sad where the world has gone lead by some clueless figures about the directives of life. I can say more than half of my friends and families are fooling themselves around in fartbook. And now wechat whatsapp tele everything, i can imagine in other countries are much worse figure. Life is short and they seems not appreciating the little time given to them..
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2018, 03:01:03 am »
its sad where the world has gone lead by some clueless figures about the directives of life. I can say more than half of my friends and families are fooling themselves around in fartbook. And now wechat whatsapp tele everything, i can imagine in other countries are much worse figure. Life is short and they seems not appreciating the little time given to them..

I wholeheartedly agree with you, I am a firm believer that social media, the internet and technology in general has had an incredibly impoverishing effect on humanity. Personally I use all this crap to participate in what is happening right now and not isolate myself from the effect all this is having on all of us. We are literally trapped in a world wide web.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 03:09:50 am by The Guy »

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2018, 09:09:04 am »

To be honest what I am learning is that there is a pretty big group of engineers that hate FB (for whatever reason) that think that any smart person should hate it too... and I am also learning that there is another big group of very smart unprejudiced professionals that don`t give a crap about what other people think that use Facebook for certain things, like participating in some groups for instance.

I reckon FB doesn`t lend itself quite well to in-depth conversations, but it is pretty good if you want to get an idea about what is happening out there regarding some of the different areas of human endeavors.

Anyway.... FB, forums, email, etc. are all very poor and restricted ways of communicating compared to the "good ole" personal meeting. At the end of the day they`re all the same crap, but they just exist and we use them to some extent for certain things. Not big deal...

There is a developing tendency for people to:
  • describe the world in black and white terms
  • ignore nuanced counter-arguments
  • denigrate people that hold a different view
  • refuse to address differing opinions, except as above

Often, but not always, phrases such as "fake news" and "ignore experts" are also to be found nearby.

The world is becoming nastier.

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2018, 10:09:19 am »
Is MySpace still an option ?   ;D

Do intelligent logical thinkers need to give FarceBook any more cred?

It's a cattle yard of bottom feeders and     [ "Like"  :-+ ]    junkies posting trivia, drivel, and private shyte no one should know about or care

Do some of these dumbass mums even realise they are supplying Xmas shopping for ped0s 24/7 ?   :palm:

I regret to declare that decent people I once thought I knew are now Facetards   ::)

When I finally snapped out of that social BS hype and gave it the Finger in 2011,  it was already a leading candidate for 'Best Supporting App in the Internet Sodom and Gomorrah Awards'

I don't imagine it's any better now ?   :-//

« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 10:11:46 am by Electro Detective »

Offline Echo88

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2018, 01:36:16 pm »
yada yada yada
In your head it sure sounded like: "Im a noble individual myself and would never partake in Facebook *sips tea*"
But instead you successfully show youre a ranting dumbass yourself.

With the amount of smileys used...how are you different to the people in the cattle yard?

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2018, 01:49:38 pm »
I just want to know how roughly 7.6 billion people on the planet (of which a significant proportion have never heard of "t'internet") can be 20 billion facebook users.

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2018, 02:14:53 pm »
  Ordinarily I would ignore this type of conversation and just move on but I think that the potential of a Tek support group is too great to let it be ruined by hosting it on FB so I'm going add my thoughts about FB.  I completely agree with the negative comments here about FB, I used to use it and I thought I could control it but I couldn't. I spend half of my day turning down "Friends Request" from people that I didn't know and that were just looking to add numbers to their profile, and turning down never ending invitations to Farmville and tons of other nonsense on FB.  You only THINK you can control the time that you spend on FB and that you can limit it to useful topics,  YOU CAN'T.  They are constantly "improving" it and finding new ways to get you to spend MORE time there (and thus read more ads so they can make more revenue).  The fact that we're even having this conversation and that FB is THE topic and that Tektronix has hardly been mentioned completely demonstrates why the support group needs to be hosted elsewhere.

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055, Electro Detective

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2018, 02:18:32 pm »
I just want to know how roughly 7.6 billion people on the planet (of which a significant proportion have never heard of "t'internet") can be 20 billion facebook users.
its a projection in 5-20 years time i guess. and we dont know what worst will be coming next, esp with this IoT sheet.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2018, 05:22:45 pm »

By the beard of Zeus! ... You still don´t get it, right?

Alright Einstein, I will explain: I was just throwing a random exaggerated number to show how amazingly big the crowd in FB was to the guy that commented "Who actually has a FB account?" (that`s also the reason I didn`t take your comments seriously, cause I was obviously exaggerating just like the guy who posted the said question).

Alright, that`s that... now, want the precise number? Alright here it is: It was 2 billion monthly users as of June 2017. Quite big huh?.... Happy now?

Alright, now move on and go have some sleep  ;) 

Take care.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2018, 06:16:51 pm »

There is a developing tendency for people to:

Often, but not always, phrases such as "fake news" and "ignore experts" are also to be found nearby.

Agree... and this is just the beginning ...cause once you ignite the social fire and the different "truths" and views start clashing one upon another it becomes almost impossible to suffocate the fire, and most of the time it`d end up in a huge disaster where everyone gets deeply hurt... and then comes the period in which we try to reconstruct society while mourning the dead, trying to figure out what the hell actually happened... and we never learn... and yet the lesson is so obvious.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 06:21:32 pm by The Guy »

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2018, 09:09:59 pm »

Facebook lacks the features of a mailing list and includes features which make it more difficult to use so no thanks.  Why should I participate in something which is actively user hostile?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2018, 10:17:20 pm »

Facebook lacks the features of a mailing list and includes features which make it more difficult to use so no thanks.  Why should I participate in something which is actively user hostile?

....and a mailing list lacks the features of FB. Pretty image/video hostile compared to FB I must say...

A few people have already posted requests for help and it did work quite good, it is pretty easy and straight forward helping out over there. It can be argued that the search engine sucks... and it does suck. But it´s no like here in the forums or with the mailing lists people search before asking... in fact I see quite often that the same friggin question is asked over and over and over again.

I see a lot of prejudice and stubbornness here and at groups.io...

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2018, 04:55:38 am »

....and a mailing list lacks the features of FB. Pretty image/video hostile compared to FB I must say...

A few people have already posted requests for help and it did work quite good, it is pretty easy and straight forward helping out over there. It can be argued that the search engine sucks... and it does suck. But it´s no like here in the forums or with the mailing lists people search before asking... in fact I see quite often that the same friggin question is asked over and over and over again.

I see a lot of prejudice and stubbornness here and at groups.io...

I would rather give up easy hosting of picture and video than give up search capability and threaded discussions.  The volume of traffic on technical emails lists would overwhelm any web based forum including this one.

Those groups.io lists left Yahoo for many of the same reasons that make Facebook or any other common web forum unacceptable.  If there is an acceptable web only forum, then I have not found it.  And at least the hosting issues for pictures and video on an email list can be fixed.  Nothing is going to fix Yahoo or Facebook and they only keep getting slower.  My email client has only gotten faster over the years.

Eternal September means that those who do understand threading are condemned to reinvent it. - Me

The following users thanked this post: BradC, Electro Detective, qu1j0t3

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2018, 08:53:23 am »
Eternal September means that those who do understand threading are condemned to reinvent it. - Me

Eternal September means that those who do understand threading are condemned to reinvent it poorly.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2018, 08:57:11 am »
in fact I see quite often that the same friggin question is asked over and over and over again.

Indeed.

Now how do you expect a new group will change that?
Have you considered that without search the same question will be asked even more often?
When a question is asked again, how will people be able to refer to an answer given earlier? (Or will they "have" to waste their lives repeating an answer?)

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2018, 04:52:45 pm »
in fact I see quite often that the same friggin question is asked over and over and over again.

Indeed.

Have you considered that without search the same question will be asked even more often?
When a question is asked again, how will people be able to refer to an answer given earlier? (Or will they "have" to waste their lives repeating an answer?)

ok lets put it this way... some people like coke some people like pepsi, coke drinkers think pepsi sucks and pepsi drinkers think that coke suck. And other people think that all the coke-alike drinks suck and they like fanta instead.

Get the idea? It is a futile argument. The reality is that variety exists to satisfy all the different tastes, and they`re all valid. But narrow minded egotist people insist on placing their own preferences as the ultimate truth... but NEWSFLASH!! ...truth or reality is never one-sided, in reality truth and reality always have infinite sides. That´s why humanity has been arguing over almost every single little detail for like the last two thousand years without agreeing on anything. Heck, there is a group of people that swear the earth is flat for Pete´s sake... and they are right to believe that to some extent, cause ultimately that`s what they see with their own eyes, they don`t think a lot gotta reckon, but that`s what they see and we can`t deny that.

...see the point? People from one side of the car will swear the car is red and that´s totally valid if you see things from their perspective... but people from the other side will swear and fight to death about the fact that the car is friggin green... and they`re also right considering things from their perspective. And they will end up calling each other "crazy" most probably.... But the truth of the matter is that no one is crazy or stupid, but still both groups of people are wrong.

...ok what I am trying to say with this "mumbo jumbo" is that the FB group, despite the fact that it lacks a decent search engine, is still a valid alternative for people that might even be way smarter than you.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 05:25:54 pm by The Guy »

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2018, 07:41:11 pm »

Indeed.

ok lets put it this way... some people like coke some people like pepsi, coke drinkers think pepsi sucks and pepsi drinkers think that coke suck. And other people think that all the coke-alike drinks suck and they like fanta instead.

Get the idea? It is a futile argument. The reality is that variety exists to satisfy all the different tastes, and they`re all valid. But narrow minded egotist people insist on placing their own preferences as the ultimate truth... but NEWSFLASH!! ...truth or reality is never one-sided, in reality truth and reality always have infinite sides. That´s why humanity has been arguing over almost every single little detail for like the last two thousand years without agreeing on anything. Heck, there is a group of people that swear the earth is flat for Pete´s sake... and they are right to believe that to some extent, cause ultimately that`s what they see with their own eyes, they don`t think a lot gotta reckon, but that`s what they see and we can`t deny that.
<snipped picture of car>
 ...see the point? People from one side of the car will swear the car is red and that´s totally valid if you see things from their perspective... but people from the other side will swear and fight to death about the fact that the car is friggin green... and they`re also right considering things from their perspective. And they will end up calling each other "crazy" most probably.... But the truth of the matter is that no one is crazy or stupid, but still both groups of people are wrong.

...ok what I am trying to say with this "mumbo jumbo" is that the FB group, despite the fact that it lacks a decent search engine, is still a valid alternative for people that might even be way smarter than you.

I am content to leave others to judge the tone and content of your post.

As I wrote earlier in https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/invitation-to-participate-a-new-tektronix-fb-group/msg1433233/#msg1433233
and I thought you agreed in https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/invitation-to-participate-a-new-tektronix-fb-group/msg1433560/#msg1433560
... There is a developing tendency for people to:

Good luck with your facebook group

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2018, 07:47:26 pm »

Indeed.

That is not an answer to the question. A collection of information (or any collection) is only useful if it has a way to see/search what is inside the collection. Without some kind of index a collection is just a pile of junk.

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2018, 11:09:30 pm »
"All I did was ask what the Delayed Sweep Time  -knob-  does,

clicked "Like" on some Tek 466 pictures,

now FB admin demands to know my phone number,

or my account frozen indefinitely due to a 'complaint' about inappropriate language

Boo hoo hoo...  :'("

« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 11:56:54 pm by Electro Detective »

Online Jwalling

• Supporter
  • This is work?
« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2018, 12:27:48 pm »

Indeed.

That is not an answer to the question. A collection of information (or any collection) is only useful if it has a way to see/search what is inside the collection. Without some kind of index a collection is just a pile of junk.

IMHO, having many places to post information about a certain topic only fragments information. I think it's best to put all the data in one place where it can be found easily. The tekscopes group is the best place for all things Tektronix. And Facebook Sucks anyway.
Jay

System error. Strike any user to continue.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2018, 03:28:55 pm »

Indeed.

...unless you intention is not having a collection of information but rather a group of people willing to interact with each other.

In other words... you want Coke and I want Fanta.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 03:33:12 pm by The Guy »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2018, 03:46:40 pm »

I am content to leave others to judge the tone and content of your post.

As I wrote earlier in https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/invitation-to-participate-a-new-tektronix-fb-group/msg1433233/#msg1433233
and I thought you agreed in https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/invitation-to-participate-a-new-tektronix-fb-group/msg1433560/#msg1433560
... There is a developing tendency for people to:

Good luck with your facebook group

hey man, I am sorry if I wasn`t able to put the proper tone in my writing, english is not my mother langauge and sometimes i struggle finding the proper tone... though I gotta reckon, I`m not the polite type of guy. That`s not part of my culture... In my country we value honesty above politeness.

Anyway, I was elaborating about the agreement we had earlier in a way. Also, by "narrow minded egotist people" I wasn`t referring about you, I was referring about those intransigent people that think you`re an asshole if you don`t think like them.

Have a good one,

Cheers.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf