Author Topic: Invitation to participate in the new Tektronix FB group  (Read 9996 times)

Offline The GuyTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Invitation to participate in the new Tektronix FB group
« on: February 18, 2018, 12:19:37 am »
hey there!

I would like to invite yall to the new FB group "old tek scopes". It is going to be a pretty nice group i think, in fact we already have a really cool bunch of Tektronix fans and die-hards on board.

Go take a look ;)

Cheers!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 12:21:25 am by The Guy »

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
Re: Invitation to participate in the new Tektronix FB group
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 12:28:03 am »
Or  you could just subscribe to the tekscope mailing lists which have been around for years and are already well established.

The following users thanked this post: Alex Eisenhut, qu1j0t3

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 12:33:21 am »
Or  you could just subscribe to the tekscope mailing lists which have been around for years and are already well established.

+1 , there are tons of Tek resources that have been accumulated for maybe decades ?

It was on yahoo group, but now it's been moved to -> https://groups.io/g/TekScopes/ , better ask to join there rather than re-creating it again from zero.

The following users thanked this post: qu1j0t3

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 12:35:23 am »

it is quite different, cause in FB it`s way easier to share pictures and videos, which also makes it easier for certain repairs. Btw, I started the group, so, as I said you are all invited to join if you want.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 12:37:56 am by The Guy »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 12:39:12 am »

+1 , there are tons of Tek resources that have been accumulated for maybe decades ?

It was on yahoo group, but now it's been moved to -> https://groups.io/g/TekScopes/ , better ask to join there rather than re-creating it again from zero.

It is not a re-creation, it is an alternative.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018, 12:42:40 am »
Who actually has a FB account?
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: TiN, 2N3055, Electro Detective

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2018, 12:48:05 am »

It is not a re-creation, it is an alternative.

Good luck on your quest.

Happy to be proven wrong, its just I've been reading these Tek old gray beard fellas for years, most don't and/or hate FB. At least not for discussing technical matter.

The following users thanked this post: The Guy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2018, 12:52:49 am »

...something around 20 billion people  :o

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2018, 01:03:07 am »
Ofcourse I meant sensible people. You know, the ones who don't post pictures of what they have for dinner or what they just left in the toilet.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2018, 01:05:29 am »

Horseshit.

Offline TurboSam

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2018, 01:05:49 am »
Happy to be proven wrong, its just I've been reading these Tek old gray beard fellas for years, most don't and/or hate FB. At least not for discussing technical matter.

+1.  I've lived plenty of decades without FB and suspect the I am likely to live much longer without it than with it.

An additional +1 for both of the Tek groups on Groups.io
Paralysis by analysis.

The following users thanked this post: TiN, qu1j0t3, Synthtech

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2018, 01:08:25 am »
Gee whiz, what a bunch of old ladies in here.  :palm:  He just formed that Old Tek Group and he already has 213 members. I think it's a great idea and I joined too. I just haven't posted yet.

Any resource for our old equipment is welcome for me regardless of where it comes from. And yes, the Yahoo Tek Group, now moved to another platform, is a good resource but my experience with those "old grey beards" is that they can sometimes be stingy with information and even a little belligerent (even though I'm a grey beard myself).

So, give the guy a break....let's see where it goes.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 01:10:37 am by med6753 »
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: JPortici, The Guy

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2018, 01:11:04 am »

it is quite different, cause in FB it`s way easier to share pictures and videos, which also makes it easier for certain repairs.

And impossible to search for the posts and pictures in 3 years time. If you can't find the information when you need it, it doesn't exist.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2018, 01:11:53 am »

Horseshit.

yea... some horseshit too probably.

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2018, 01:16:15 am »

Horseshit.

I figured you'd miss the point. What is the current population estimate of the planet?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2018, 01:17:09 am »

it is quite different, cause in FB it`s way easier to share pictures and videos, which also makes it easier for certain repairs.

And impossible to search for the posts and pictures in 3 years time. If you can't find the information when you need it, it doesn't exist.

Well of course it wont work as a resource, that´s when this forum and groups.io tekgroup comes into play. But if you post a question you you will be able to easily follow the thread until you get your issue resolved. or if you love tek stuff likeme and use facebook for certain stuff you will be able to enjoy and see great content in your feed. If you hate FB then obviously this invitation is not for you ;)

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2018, 01:18:26 am »
Gee whiz, what a bunch of old ladies in here.  :palm:  He just formed that Old Tek Group and he already has 213 members. I think it's a great idea and I joined too. I just haven't posted yet.

Any resource for our old equipment is welcome for me regardless of where it comes from. And yes, the Yahoo Tek Group, now moved to another platform, is a good resource but my experience with those "old grey beards" is that they can sometimes be stingy with information and even a little belligerent (even though I'm a grey beard myself).

So, give the guy a break....let's see where it goes.

Let's take that argument a few stages further... Let's all make a group somewhere or other, and then see how easy it is to get everybody to consider your question.

There's are several reasons that duplicate posts in different sub-forums are locked by this site's admins. If there are multiple competing forums then there will, necessarily, have to be duplicate posts - and the same problems will apply.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2018, 01:19:16 am »

Horseshit.

I figured you'd miss the point. What is the current population estimate of the planet?

20 billion people plus an ignorant and one asshole? ...no offence... just joking ;)

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2018, 01:20:38 am »

Well of course it wont work as a resource, that´s when this forum and groups.io tekgroup comes into play. But if you post a question you you will be able to easily follow the thread until you get your issue resolved. or if you love tek stuff likeme and use facebook for certain stuff you will be able to enjoy and see great content in your feed. If you hate FB then obviously this invitation is not for you ;)

The point is those threads *are* the resource, and by using Facebook to work through them you lose the ability to reference them years down the track. Yeah, *you* get instant gratification but in the process you lose the ability for someone to learn from your journey in 10 years time.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2018, 01:27:26 am »

Well of course it wont work as a resource, that´s when this forum and groups.io tekgroup comes into play.

Creating a worthwhile question takes time. Creating a worthwhile answer takes time.

Is it better to spend that time on creating something that will be useful now and in the future to multiple people - or something that will be useful now to a few people, and not later to more people?

But if you post a question you you will be able to easily follow the thread until you get your issue resolved.

It is easier on the email reflectors, since the multi-level threading of sub-threads is very visible in an email client. Facebook has only two or three levels.

or if you love tek stuff likeme and use facebook for certain stuff you will be able to enjoy and see great content in your feed. If you hate FB then obviously this invitation is not for you ;)

I don't hate facebook, but I do understand the limitations in its design objectives. IMNSHO facebook isn't the best tool for these purposes (but it is better for others, e.g. where friends went yesterday)

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2018, 01:37:14 am »
Well... i guess around 200 engineers (including a former Tek head-engineer that worked with Vollum), scientists and technicians that already joined think different.

My point is, it is an alternative for people that like the idea, if you don`t like it and think it is the crappiest idea ever then obviously it is not for you. Which is absolutely fine.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 03:57:09 am by The Guy »

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2018, 03:46:09 pm »
Joined. Despite I don't have any Tek gear, it is always cool to see what others are doing with them.

Regarding critics, around here it seems there's a feud against FB, based on the perceived "reality" that engineers don't fall prey to Zuckerman's devices - somewhat disconnected from the reality as a while ago a small voting here at the forum showed (IIRC) about 50% had a FB account. Oh well... Each to its own.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

The following users thanked this post: The Guy

Offline qu1j0t3

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2018, 12:40:38 am »

it is quite different, cause in FB it`s way easier to share pictures and videos, which also makes it easier for certain repairs. Btw, I started the group, so, as I said you are all invited to join if you want.

TekScopes has a Photos/uploads area that's quite easy to use.

Yes, this is another +1 to joining the established community.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2018, 01:42:33 am »

I think you'll very quickly learn that engineers hate using Facebook, especially for groups and the like.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, TiN

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2018, 01:44:49 am »
Regarding critics, around here it seems there's a feud against FB, based on the perceived "reality" that engineers don't fall prey to Zuckerman's devices - somewhat disconnected from the reality as a while ago a small voting here at the forum showed (IIRC) about 50% had a FB account. Oh well... Each to its own.

Having a Facebook account and actually using it regularly are two different things. And using it regularly for groups is another thing entirely.
This "reality" among engineers to snub Facebook for such things is very well known in the engineering marketing community.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf