Author Topic: Is the signal generator on the Rigol scopes worth buying?  (Read 14187 times)

Online pascal_sweden

• Super Contributor
Re: Is the signal generator on the Rigol scopes worth buying?
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2016, 01:54:12 pm »
I find the SigGen in my MSO1074Z-S worth having.  for what it does it works fine.  it's convenient.
Nobody said it isn't.   :palm:

What's being said is that a DSO1074Z plus separate signal generator doesn't make much sense. Reason: The DSO1074Z doesn't make much sense.

(At least: Not if you're buying one with your own money...)

I didn't get that remark. Can you elaborate further why the DSO1074Z doesn't make much sense?

Offline Assafl

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2016, 07:27:22 pm »
I find the SigGen in my MSO1074Z-S worth having.  for what it does it works fine.  it's convenient.
Nobody said it isn't.   :palm:

What's being said is that a DSO1074Z plus separate signal generator doesn't make much sense. Reason: The DSO1074Z doesn't make much sense.

(At least: Not if you're buying one with your own money...)

I didn't get that remark. Can you elaborate further why the DSO1074Z doesn't make much sense?

This entire dialog is funny. All Fungus is saying is that MOST home users DO NOT buy a DS1074Z but OPT for a DS1054Z (and then hack it to the full 100MHz DS1104Z).

Here is the decision tree:
the OP is trying to compare the DSXXXXZ and DSXXXXZ-S models. So which ones will he buy?
1. Probably none of the 100MHz models since one can hack the lower cost ones to full 100MHz spec.
2. For the -S version, the lowest cost one is the DS1074Z-S. So that will be his best option for a siggen version (and he will probably hack-upgrade it).
3. For the plain Z version, he will opt for the DS1054Z (like many of us did), which he will hack to the 100MHz one as well. 

So the real reason that any comparison to the DS1074Z doesn't make sense is that the OP would probably never buy it - but would buy the DS1054Z instead (like all of us did).

So his real market (buying) options are either a DS1054Z or a DS1074Z-S. And the OP should weigh the cost/benefits at that price span.

Not rocket science....

Online pascal_sweden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2016, 09:44:16 pm »
Okey. Now I get it.. The delta between these 2 models is too big, not to justify buying an external signal generator. Good point! Why haven't I looked at it like that before :)

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2016, 11:23:20 pm »
Okey. Now I get it.. The delta between these 2 models is too big, not to justify buying an external signal generator. Good point! Why haven't I looked at it like that before :)

If you look at it in terms of cost and ease of use alone (and to a much lesser extent features), then without doubt having a separate scope and AWG os the way to go.

On the other hand, if you're lacking bench space or need something reasonably decent and compact for field use, either of those reasons can make a compelling case. I travel with mine (an MSO1074Z-S) about once a month, and sit in hotel rooms debugging. Another viable alternative in the travel scenario is the Analog Discovery (1 or 2), but for my purposes the analogue and digital bandwidth of that device often isn't really enough. The Rigol case for the DS1000Z is excellent by the way, it protects the scope very well, much better than equivalent offerings from Tek and Keysight that cost three or four times as much.

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2016, 11:30:33 pm »
I'd also recommend buying separate items. That said I ended up with a DS1074Z-S as I was able to buy a used/like new one for $70.00 USD more then I sold my DS1054Z for. At that price it was a no brainer and I have found it to be useful. I do wish it had an external reference input.
VE7FM

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf