Author Topic: Just got 3457A and then Boom  (Read 22005 times)

Offline AlfBazTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Re: Just got 3457A and then Boom
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2013, 02:11:35 pm »
Weird... I've never seen these filters blow and now two in a row, these shaffner's must be terrible  :-//
As for the digits the 3457A defaults to 5 and1/2 digits on power up, just select number of digits (forgot the abbreviation) and select 6.
This thing is a 3million count meter which means that it can only go to 3.000000, which is good as a lot of meters (like flukes, I think) 6 and 1/2 means the first digit can only be a 1 befor you loose the sixth decimal place (1 million count ?)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2013, 02:19:19 pm »
I forgot to ask, I see in one of the pictures you have a gpib cable, do you have a pc interface for it? if so which one?
I was thinking of getting a 82350B PCI card as they seem quite cheap compared to the PICe 82351A but then thought that I should spring for the extra cash and get the 82357B gpib to usb unit so that I can also use it with the laptop. I just need to look into compatibility with these units and the various standard drivers out there

Offline bingo600

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2013, 02:57:51 pm »
@AlfBaz

I found the "digits button" , and is now showing 6 digits  :-+

The Gpib I/F you see there is a Prologix Ethernet interface , it works ok but is a bit slow if you want to transfer much.
I'd prob recommend the Prologix USB if you want a Prologix , mostly because there is a lot of source on the net for the USB version.
But in order to use a Prologix you must be into programming , as it doesn't automaticly support the NI or HP/Agilent drivers.

Basically the USB version is seen as a "Serial to GPIB" converter , and the Ethernet version is seen as a "Telnet to GPIB converter". So you have to send your own measurement commands.

If you're using windows , i'd recommend a Card or USB that supports the NI or Agilent DLL's.

I also have a Beiming GPIB (HP Clone) , that i got off Ebay for $50 ... A nice offer from an EU based seller.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/S82357-GPIB-USB-interface-Agilent-82357-compatible-/171021102514

If i should get one from Beiming i'd prob buy the newer version that supports DMA (Like the
http://www.ebay.com/itm/F82357-GPIB-USB-interface-Agilent-82357-compatible-/171021607671

Originally i have a NI PCI-Card , that i intended to install in my server (it's on 24/7). But the "only PCI" slot in my Mini-ITX board is PCI-Express  :(
So it's just doing nothing  right now.

If you just need hobby readings , i'd prob go for an USB based card , and if you're not Linux based as i am.
The Beimings should be Agilent compatible wrt. the drivers used under windows.

/BIngo
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 03:00:07 pm by bingo600 »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2013, 03:14:34 pm »
Thanks for the info Bingo

Offline bingo600

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2013, 02:58:51 pm »
I got my new NON Schaffner mains filters today.

If you look at pic01 you can see the old Schaffner bulge at the back.

Pic02 shows a bit of the black "goo" on top at the front.

Pic04 shows the brand new Schaffner that died after 35 min of 230v.

Pic05 shows my new filter

Pic07 shows the "goo" that leaked to the outside of the meter.

Stay away from Schaffner mains filters.

Rignt now my 3457A is running burn in with the new filter , and i don't expect to have more troubles with the mains filter.

Once again thanx to AlfBaz , for the nice pictures.

/Bingo

« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 03:03:46 pm by bingo600 »

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2013, 03:08:28 pm »
Not surprising; you replaced the original with another made in Switzerland, those are the old ones which have problems. The ones made in Thailand should be OK.

Offline ddavidebor

• Super Contributor
    • Smartbox AT
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2013, 03:51:07 pm »
or even cheap china ones
David - Professional Engineer - Medical Devices and Tablet Computers at Smartbox AT
Side businesses: Altium Industry Expert writer, http://fermium.ltd.uk (Scientific Equiment), http://chinesecleavers.co.uk (Cutlery),

Offline bingo600

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2013, 07:31:43 pm »
Not surprising; you replaced the original with another made in Switzerland, those are the old ones which have problems. The ones made in Thailand should be OK.

I know i did , because that was the only one i could get in a hurry.
I wrote about only being able to get the swiss ones , in a previous post.

I hoped it would work , does that mean the Schaffner's from Thailand is ok ?

/Bingo

Offline ddavidebor

• Super Contributor
    • Smartbox AT
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2013, 06:22:12 pm »
yeah, from thailand are ok.
David - Professional Engineer - Medical Devices and Tablet Computers at Smartbox AT
Side businesses: Altium Industry Expert writer, http://fermium.ltd.uk (Scientific Equiment), http://chinesecleavers.co.uk (Cutlery),

Offline Tin Whiskers

« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2013, 08:08:34 am »
Schaffner mains filters have a short life (an example above is only 7 years, with no time in service) because they employ paper-dielectric capacitors.

Over time, the paper dielectric of a capacitor absorbs moisture even though it may be encased with a resin dip, for example. While mains paper capacitors are usually of the self-healing type, if the current flow due to moisture is too great and widely distributed in the dielectric, the capacitor will explode. This appears to be more likely when a capacitor is left unused for some time.

These days, paper capacitors (which generally have lousy specs) only see service in mains applications. Besides the capacitors in Schaffner filters, commonly seen brands of paper capacitors are RIFA and WIMA. All brands exhibit a short life and are unsafe (despite accreditations which may appear to suggest otherwise).

When paper capacitors absorb moisture they swell. This results in the commonly observed cracks in the resin case of paper capacitors and hastens their demise.

I recommend, for safety and reliability, that you avoid using any paper capacitors, such as RIFA and WIMA, and avoid filters with paper capacitors, such as Schaffner. In addition, these components should be immediately  removed from service - check to see if any of your electronic equipment harbours them.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2013, 08:16:55 am »
Funny enough I find oil filled sealed in a steel can with glass frit seals paper capacitors to be very reliable, at least an order longer lasting then plastic film units. This is in motor run applications, where I have some 40 year old paper capacitors that are still perfect, though the rubber sealed ones only ran 30 years before failing as the rubber seals cracked and let the oil out and air in. I am using polycarbonate caps as replacements.

Offline Tin Whiskers

« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2013, 11:07:46 am »
Yes, Sean, the reliability of a paper capacitor is improved if you provide a better barrier to penetrating moisture, and hermetic sealing works best of all.

Unfortunately, providing a better barrier increases the price. If a better barrier is necessary to avoid moisture absorption of capacitors in electronics, the use of paper as a dielectric material becomes uncompetitive. Therefore, necessity dictates that paper capacitors are components with poor performance.

For capacitors in electrical applications, a rugged case may already be an environmental requirement. If the rugged case also provides an adequate moisture barrier, the use of a paper dielectric may be viable, as you note, Sean. Regrettably, the Schaffner filter case does not provide a satisfactory moisture barrier.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2013, 01:26:23 pm »
The Schaffners are good only as long as they are powered up regularly to keep them toasty. If you have to use one it would be best to bake it at 120C for 12 hours before use to dry it out. I have some that have been on for decades, though these are much bigger devices and are better sealed with a solder seam, not part of a socket inlet.

Offline lewis

• Frequent Contributor
  • Nullius in verba
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2013, 01:35:06 pm »
I thought those caps were metallised polypropylene? Didn't think they've used paper for years...
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2013, 02:11:20 pm »
Metallised paper/polypropylene blend is a very common capacitor dielectric. Cheap to make, smooth and can be sputtered on. Normally though I prefer to derate a little for longer life, they assume for self healing that you will have a large energy to clear faults, but not enough to actually blow it to pieces. Some I have unwound were missing more than half of the foil deposit on the plates. The polypropylene ones have a disconnect mechanism in the motor ones, where as it cooks and burns it builds up pressure and plastic foam in the case enough to pop the terminal cap off breaking the connection. Those have a warning that during operation you need a 10mm gap by the terminals for this disconnect mechanism to work. Some I have seen go a lot further than that, basically pooling a foam puddle onto the floor of the cabinet that is both sticky and stinks.

Offline skipjackrc4

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2013, 02:55:09 pm »
Wow.  I've never had one fail before, but I've recently bought a few pieces of older test equipment with these filters that I haven't run for more than a few minutes yet.  I'm nervous about relying on them, now. 

What brands of mains filters are safe?  It looks like I'll be buying a few pre-emptively.  I'm getting ready to move in a few months, so I'll have all my equipment off the bench anyway.

Offline kmel

• Contributor
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2014, 05:05:02 am »
Same story here...  Just got 3457A and then Boom.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 05:10:17 am by kmel »

Offline Richard Head

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2014, 05:19:52 am »
Amyk

We had a product that also blew up the Schaffner filter regularly. The dud units were also only ever the ones made in Switzerland. The eastern units were fine.

Dick

Offline winfreak

• Contributor
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2014, 06:21:33 am »
Holy smokes!

I never knew that this could happen that easily in such expensive devices - I thought they might put a bit better components inside them, but nope, that's just nasty!

Offline PE1RKI

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2014, 06:54:27 am »
are the corcom mains filters ok ? http://www.te.com/en/brands/corcom.html
i found one in a hp 438 from which i have several and maybe in all my other hp gear.

Offline Edward3121

• Contributor
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2014, 10:47:42 am »
The Line Filter in my HP3457A has already ... I was planning to add one.

Offline Edward3121

• Contributor
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2014, 10:49:49 am »
The Line Filter in my HP3457A has already ... I was planning to add one.

Offline MadTux

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2014, 02:23:42 pm »
These Schaffners are everywhere!!!!

And they strike with the most nasty and foulest smelling magic smoke that only Satan could have invented. How is it even possible to pack so much stinkiness in such a small space??

This time it came from a HP 3326A that I left running over night for some tests. Slept one room above and the nasty smell woke me up early on the morning and I guessed from the smell that something mayor had burned down. Went down and pulled all plugs. Next some coffee, then I went on to investigate what had burned. From the smell I first feared that the transformer or a big part of some PCB had fried, but fortunatelly the only part that fried itself was the Schaffner mains filter.

Only problem that I now have is that the Schaffner filter is part of the voltage selector and fuse assembly, which probably means that I have to do some Dremel-work to make the replacement fit into the assembly.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2014, 04:40:34 pm »
Just use the Dremel to remove the filter and leave the input straps to solder the inside wiring to, then add another filter inside the case or just a simple MOV and 220n 275VAC Class X capacitor across L and N inside.

Offline WillTurner

• Contributor
« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2018, 09:19:04 am »
I have just acquired an HP3457A, and suffered the dreaded mains line filter failure within the first couple of hours of power being applied. As white smoke was jetting out of the rear and I was reaching for the power switch, I noted that the meter was still running. Hence the failure didn't cause me too much stress.
  I used a very small drill bit from outside of the case to start a pilot hole in each of the rivets, enlarged them to about 3mm, and the filter popped  leaving the bulk of the rivet in the case, the swarf on the bench, and none inside as far as I'm aware. I didn't think to strip the unit before tackling the repair  :). The rivets look like they are brassy, and were quite hard. After squeezing the remainder of each rivet with pliers, I was able to push them out of the case.
  The soldered earth connector didn't impress, although I understand why it was done that way.  I replaced the schaeffer unit with a 6A generic item from the local electronics shop. I didn't re-solder the earth connector.
  Also, while I was poking around inside, I measured my CAL RAM backup battery voltage (3.4V). Not sure how useful this measurement is, since as I understand it the battery voltage drops off a cliff.   

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf