Author Topic: Keithley 2100/200 Multimeter - Noisy?  (Read 1220 times)

Offline CaptainObviousTopic starter

• Contributor
Keithley 2100/200 Multimeter - Noisy?
« on: May 07, 2019, 05:13:42 pm »
I was just casually browsing multi meters and came across an interesting post on Amazon... just curious if this is a "CYA" (cover your a%!) kind of legal mumbo jumbo or if this is a legitimate problem with this multimeter? Specifically talks of interference of radio and TV broadcast.... from a multimeter?

Quoting from the Amazon page:
Legal Disclaimer
NOT INTENDED FOR CONSUMER USE:

Electromagnetic Compatibility: This product is intended for use by technically competent personnel in non-residential areas only. Use outside of these guidelines must be avoided unless the user takes special measures to reduce electromagnetic emissions to prevent interference to the reception of radio and television broadcasts.

Safety: The product has been evaluated for safety according to the standards for 'Electrical Equipment for Measurement, Control, and Laboratory Use' and is designed to be used by trained personnel only.

Environment: This product is classified as industrial monitoring and control equipment designed for exclusively professional or industrial use and related training programs.

For anyone curious to see the post, this is being sold and shipped by Amazon here in the states: https://www.amazon.com/Keithley-2100-220-Multimeter-Resolution/dp/B00HLD05M2/

I don't think I'll end up buying this regardless, mainly due to budget.. but this is the first I've heard of this and figured it was just Amazon trying to cover their ass. A quick search didn't bring up any forum posts relating to noise I could find, sorry if this was posted/asked before.

Online Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
Re: Keithley 2100/200 Multimeter - Noisy?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 06:02:36 pm »
The text sounds a little like the product is not EMI tested (maybe just not certified) for the suitable emission grade for home environment. This is a little odd for an instrument you want not to interfere with other instruments. This is not spreading much confidence. Ideally I would want a meter to be very low EMI emissions - way better than the normal limits.

Offline genghisnico13

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 07:47:26 pm »
Wouldn't surprise me, this is taken from the R&S RTB2004 Manual:
The instrument is intended for use in industrial areas. When used in residential areas,
radio disturbances caused by the instrument can exceed given limits. Additional shield-
ing can be required.

Online rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 04:57:34 pm »
Lab equipment can be classified in a way to not require to meet limits for unintentional radiators (the famous FCC part 15 subpart B), although I agree that a RF spewing device would be quite undesirable depending on what you want to measure. Buyer beware.

Keithley 2100 series is a rebadge of a chinese design, thus the manufacturer may have required to publish their CYA message.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2019, 05:35:20 pm »
Interesting, I'd expect more troubles in "industrial areas". Like, from a welding near-by, or big machines, or whatever.

So, what's the definition of "industrial area"? Does it include EMI? :)

Online Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2019, 06:10:57 pm »
There are 2 different allowed emission level for normal private household use and industrial use. The Industrial use curve allows for more emissions. AFAIK medical use has even lower levels.

It could be the actual emissions that are a problem - which would be bad, but it could also be just a missing certification / production testing for the lower limits. Even if the do emit to much for the standard this may be just a single frequency.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf