Author Topic: Keysight awards Carlos a new $75,000 scope because of EEVblog support !!!!  (Read 7669 times)

Offline ez24Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
See this thread

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/contests/keysight-6000x-6ghz-voting-is-live-vote-for-carlos-a/?topicseen

Because of the support of EEVBlog, Keysight awarded Carlos a new scope even though he came in 3rd.

Since this is a $75,000 prize, I think a big hand goes to EEVBlog and Keysight  :-+ :-+ :-+

Amazing
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
Good for Carlos, and well done with the contest as well. Got the Keysight brand name out to a larger audience as well, and in a good way as well.

Offline ez24Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
That means someone (2?) here will get either a Rigol or a Tek which he offered.

That is right - I remember he said that.  Oh boy another contest coming  :-+
Still waiting for a chicken shit drawing (someone else came up with this idea)
Maybe Carlos can use a robot to do the drawing.  At least use one to chase the chickens

Here are two random numbers if Carlos wants to use Dave's list (I have not seen it)

Here is another method - pick the person who posted the most posts stating that they voted.
or pick the one with the most posts under that thread.

(not me in either case)

YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
Will be an end to this giveaway madness?
 :)
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
 Hopefully, never!   ;D ;D

AWESOME news, great for Carlos and his business, and awesome that Keysight stepped up and did this. Proof that even today, not all corporations are just giant faceless entities that don't give a plug nickel about their customers. Great job all around.  :-+ :-+ :-+

Online JPortici

• Super Contributor
Way to go carlos :)

Offline CustomEngineerer

• Frequent Contributor
Really awesome. I don't know Carlos but was really hoping to see him win one of the scopes (actually signed into my wife's Facebook to vote). Was a little sad the last couple of days of the Test to Impress contest as the other 2 people started pulling away. Congrats Carlos, know you will get good use out of the scope.

And many thanks to Keysight. The contests have all been fun to watch/participate in.

Online janoc

• Super Contributor
Awesome, well done Keysight and congrats Carlos :)

Offline cncjerry

• Supporter
I was wondering if Carlos has to pay taxes on that scope.  It will take all the fun out of it.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
I was wondering if Carlos has to pay taxes on that scope.  It will take all the fun out of it.

He already is willing to pay though, but as it likely is a promotional item he will not have to pay at all, as the marketing dept does it for him. Otherwise it might be tagged as a long term loan, so after 5 years he can simply buy it at current asset value of $1.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
That's great news. Congratulations, Carlos! Kudos to Keysight.  :-+
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline rickv14623

• Frequent Contributor
Congrats to you Carlos!

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
Because of the support of EEVBlog, Keysight awarded Carlos a new scope even though he came in 3rd.

Voting doesn't matter, it's the super delegates that count. Next challenge is to keep away the tax collectors.

Good job Carlos!

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
I just saw this thread and figured it appropriate to join in.

Thank you to the EEVBlog. Daniel from Keysight made it quite clear the rally here was the deciding factor. The support and associated discussions obviously made a serious impact on the team. I am guessing that the decision to triple up on the giveaway was not a small one. I owe huge thanks you's to all that made it happen this way. What a wild and weird ride that somehow ended with a completely ridiculously amazing instrument headed to my bench.

It is true that the scope is not a prize, but a gift. I had the tax all worked out but now I don't have to exercise that plan. As far as I know the offer is the scope with all available options which comes with a set of passive probes. Any additional probes are on me to buy. It may take a bit to get them but I will be purchasing the probes that will be needed for high-speed work as well as the power rail probe and a pair of current probes to deal with the power measurements. Not sure yet what the final value is. The tax savings make it far easier to work out the needed probes.

As I said in the video - this is a step up for me and there will be a substantial learning curve. Not just the scope, but the learning curve on the electronics I am planning to design. When signals get into the multiples of Ghz, a whole new set of skills will be needed to succeed. I have read a lot about high-speed design, but have no practical experience. Some late nights and tears should be expected as I learn some hard lessons. With that in mind, hard lessons is exactly what I wanted. I want to push far beyond my current skills and even beyond what I am planning to learn. How long will that take me? Who knows. I tend to go at it harder than than rock-n-roll, so hopefully some good progress will result.

Step 1: Receive the unit
Step 2: Learn the fundamentals so I can do my daily bill-paying work
Step 3: Dive head first into the juicy features that I have never had access to
Step 4: Repeat step 3 in an endless loop until I can apply those features to real world design efforts

This will no doubt be a long and fun journey and I have this amazing forum community to thank for that. I will never take that for granted.
Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
You're in for a world of new experiences... hopefully enjoyable ones :)

If you've not already read it, this app note gives a lot of useful background information that'll become relevant when you start probing high speed signals. Apologies that it's produced by a rival scope manufacturer  :-BROKE

http://circuitslab.case.edu/manuals/Probe_Fundamentals-_Tektronix.pdf

You'll also probably want to start researching, and drooling over, some active probes very soon. The scope alone isn't a useful, complete solution above a few hundred MHz...

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Thank you to the EEVBlog. Daniel from Keysight made it quite clear the rally here was the deciding factor. The support and associated discussions obviously made a serious impact on the team. I am guessing that the decision to triple up on the giveaway was not a small one.

Did the top 3 all get a scope?

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
Yes.

Daniel posted that David was being given a scope as well, but he didn't mention which model.  At a guess, I reckon it would probably be another 6000 X-series.

Here:
We are giving David K a scope as well. 5000 organic votes is still a crazy high number, and I had conversations with him throughout the course of the contest about what he was doing to get votes. 

All of the top three worked really, really hard to get their votes. I definitely don't support the buying of votes, but my understanding after talking with David is that a friend of his did that without him knowing.  I believe that 100%, but this forum is not the right place to flesh that out because it will escalate mercilessly :).

Congrats to everyone who walked away from Scope Month with either a scope or some new knowledge!

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Thank you to the EEVBlog. Daniel from Keysight made it quite clear the rally here was the deciding factor. The support and associated discussions obviously made a serious impact on the team. I am guessing that the decision to triple up on the giveaway was not a small one.

Did the top 3 all get a scope?
It seems so but I don't know what David K. got. Daniel B. didn't specify that.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
You'll also probably want to start researching, and drooling over, some active probes very soon. The scope alone isn't a useful, complete solution above a few hundred MHz...

No kidding. The probes will be needed as soon as I am able to afford them. I have a few power projects to complete first and I can get through those with passive probes no problem. Hopefully that will be enough to get me into probes that match the 6Ghz front end. Until then - I essentially have a roughly 500Mhz limit.

The cost of the good probes is breathtaking.
Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments

No kidding. The probes will be needed as soon as I am able to afford them. I have a few power projects to complete first and I can get through those with passive probes no problem. Hopefully that will be enough to get me into probes that match the 6Ghz front end. Until then - I essentially have a roughly 500Mhz limit.

The cost of the good probes is breathtaking.
Not really. You can DIY 1GHz probes very easely. Tektronix P6456 probes (passive Lo-Z probes) turn up on Ebay regulary. And there is always the possibility include a passive divider probe into your design and use an SMA cable to connect to the scope. The latter is probably the best solution because it will provide a way higher quality signal into the oscilloscope than you can ever get from a probe.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf