Author Topic: Keysight E4406A question  (Read 1027 times)

Offline rhbTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Keysight E4406A question
« on: December 17, 2017, 01:39:51 am »
How suitable for use as a general purpose spectrum analyzer are these?  They're quite cheap on eBay.

They look as if they'd be very good for general RF work, but I'm nervous that there's a gotcha I don't know about.

Offline chriswebb

• Supporter
Re: Keysight E4406A question
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2017, 02:33:38 am »
Found some stuff on keysight's forums. Didn't do much reading, but may be helpful:

https://community.keysight.com/thread/1777
Always learning. The greatest part of life is that there will always be more to learn.

Offline KE5FX

• Super Contributor
    • KE5FX.COM
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2017, 04:46:23 am »
There's a reason they're so cheap.  There are a lot of drawbacks to the E4406A when used as a general-purpose spectrum analyzer.  Limited span width, no front-end RF filtering, lots of controls and features are disabled, and deliberately-crippled usability for the ones that are provided -- e.g., the knob tunes at the same rate regardless of span.

But they're still very nice instruments.  If your application involves characterizing a known signal source (as opposed to hunting spurious signals, doing EMC precompliance, or otherwise looking at sources with unknown characteristics), they're very capable.  They're especially well-suited for use in automated test applications.

Offline rhbTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2017, 02:45:29 pm »
Thanks.  I felt sure there was a reason they were so cheap.  It looks as it it would make a hell of an SDR with the I/Q output option. Rather larger than my SDRplay RSP2 though.  I'll have to search around to see if they can be hacked into something more capable.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf