Author Topic: Keysight N3300A DC Electronic Load  (Read 1280 times)

Offline EVlabTopic starter

• Contributor
Keysight N3300A DC Electronic Load
« on: March 10, 2018, 07:58:35 pm »
I was wondering some loads of other brands have constant power mode and the Keysight doesn't. Does someone know why?

Does someone has practical experience using a N3300A in constant power operation?

I thought of a software implementation: Query the N3300A over GPIB for actual voltage and then set a corresponding current to achieve constant power load. But is there a more elegant way?

Best, Simon

Offline alm

• Super Contributor
Re: Keysight N3300A DC Electronic Load
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 08:15:05 pm »
Reading the current / voltage monitor outputs with an external control loop that controls the analog programming input might be more elegant and achieve a faster response time, but might be harder to get stable.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2018, 08:56:18 pm »
Oddly enough there is a multiplier in the DC load modules so it would be possible to do constant power. From the schematics it seems that the control loop is implemented in a CPLD device. Perhaps there was no room for a constant power mode or it was deemed too complicated.
These are very nice loads though. I've got the small (2 slot) mainframe and I wouldn't mind acquiring another one if the price is right.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline alm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 09:25:09 pm »
The manual mentions that the over power limit is a software limit. So not sure what they would need a multiplier for? Unless it is to trigger the software flag (that acts like a fold-back limit).

Offline dacman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2018, 02:36:52 am »
Constant Power in some electronic loads, such as the BK 8500 series, is a calculation (along with Constant Resistance).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf