Author Topic: Kiss-488 gpib webserver. Anybody used one?  (Read 8211 times)

Offline BratsterTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Kiss-488 gpib webserver. Anybody used one?
« on: January 22, 2018, 06:01:30 pm »
I just stumbled across this Nifty little product.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F112624633627

It is a gpib adapter with a built-in web server.  Unfortunately I can't seem to find any information other than this eBay listing, however it does appear that it is a US product.

Has anybody else used one of these?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

The following users thanked this post: oPossum

Offline Dwaine

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Kiss-488 gpib webserver. Anybody used one?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 06:52:39 pm »
Now that is cool.  I wonder if you can update the web pages for the server.

Offline pelule

• Frequent Contributor
  • What is business? It’s other people’s money
You will learn something new every single day

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 08:08:33 pm »
I would have more trust in such a poduct:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tektronix-GPIB-LAN-Adapter-AD007/332439222033?hash=item4d66ebf711:g:Yl4AAOSw3WxZ~8hu
/pelule
I have two of those.(the Tek ad007) They are awesome gpib to Ethernet visa supported adapters.

This new thing just looked kind of cool and peaked my curiosity. I have sent the seller a message and he should be sending me the full manual for it. Looks like it's something he designed because he needed and is now trying to sell them.

Definitely not a replacement for a real gpib interface, however for something that you just want to read values for or create graphs Etc it may be nice if it does all that internally.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 12:51:46 am by Bratster »

Offline MarkL

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 09:33:15 pm »
The description is written as if it's one "KISS-488" to one instrument.  If that's the case, it's $179 per instrument, which is way too much.  If it can handle multiple instruments, up to a full GPIB bus, that would be much more interesting.

Bratster: When you get the manual please let us know.  Maybe the seller wouldn't mind if you post the manual?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 11:31:07 pm »
I have asked him if it's okay to share the manual.
Also linked this thread.

It definitely is not a replacement for a real Visa-gpib interface.

But if you only have 1 or 2 instruments you need at a time, or or just want something quick and easy to set up logging from a multimeter without having to figure out all of the software to work with an official adapter. This could be nice.

I do have visa set up and working with labview home edition.

But for basically plug and play webserver for a multimeter or scope, this is cool.

Offline SteveHx

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 12:50:12 am »
I am the designer of KISS-488. In the interest of full disclosure, I want to correct a misconception (at least one that I got from reading Bratster's comment). He apparently means that the Tektronix adapters are "awesome"; he's not referring here to KISS-488 because I know he doesn't have two of them.

I designed the critter for my own use, primarily needing to be able to do screenshots from my scope and spectrum analyzer to email to clients and to document things for certification requirements. The data logger function was a clear case of "creeping elegance"; it was just too easy and slick to pass up (and like most such things, turned out to be a pain to implement, but I have it working quite nicely now). The sample screenshots in the manual give a decent flavor for the device.

It is not intended to support a full rack of instruments, automated assembly line testing, etc. It's meant for those of us who have a limited budget for test equipment. Some truly fine instruments are out there, and available for pennies on the dollar because nobody wants to deal with IEEE-488 (and I should know - I worked for one of the major IEEE-488 companies years ago!). I have one plugged into the back of each of my instruments, and they show up on my network with a Netbios address apiece, or I can talk to them at a numeric IP address. And I add NOTHING to the clutter on my PC - the browser is all I need. Indeed, I have an article slated to appear in Circuit Cellar later this year, all about using a web browser instead of an LCD etc., or a PC-based driver, that goes obsolete right after I'd buy it.

As to pricing, I've been told it should be priced higher, but I'm fundamentally a bit of a cheapskate myself so have a hard time asking more than I'd be willing to pay. Given that the alternatives (and I did a lot of looking) require a big outlay for cables, board, and software, plus a tremendous learning curve to drive the software, I think KISS-488 meets my needs extremely well. Compare to the alternative of buying a "modern" instrument with the same functionality but a built-in web interface - the total with an older instrument and KISS-488 is downright miserly!

Feel free to shoot questions my way. Although I earn my living professionally as a consulting engineer, I'm really just having fun making a living playing at my two favorite hobbies (electronics and flight instruction).

The following users thanked this post: HighVoltage, RandallMcRee, nicnac117, abeyer

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 12:53:40 am »
I edited one of my post above to clarify that I was indeed talking about the tektronix adapter.

Here is the manual that I was sent.http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5a66878edc1ed/KISS-488%20User%20Guide.pdf

The following users thanked this post: neil t

Offline Dwaine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 02:35:42 am »
Is there firmware updates for the webserver and web pages? Or are you stuck with what is installed on the device?

Offline kelchm

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2018, 03:35:01 am »
Is there firmware updates for the webserver and web pages? Or are you stuck with what is installed on the device?
Curious about this as well. Any chance the firmware is open source?

Could I use this to dump the calibration data for my HP 3478A?

Offline SteveHx

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2018, 11:50:32 am »
The firmware can be updated over Ethernet with a simple procedure that guards against nefarious updates.

You should be able to do anything that the IEEE-488 interface can do. You can set up 6 commands for repeated use (besides the ones to capture and log data, and to do a screen dump). Or you can connect via TelNet and talk directly to the IEEE-488 port with no muss and fuss with addressing. The Telnet client that's built into Windows (but usually not turned on by default) is one way; another way is to use HyperTerminal or any similar dumb terminal program that can connect to a TCPIP port.

Feedback welcome as to whether 6 is the right number of saved commands - I tried to strike a balance between having enough available, and having an overwhelming number that just gets confusing.

The following users thanked this post: jackrubin

Online Alex Nikitin

• Super Contributor
  • Femtoampnut and Tapehead.
    • A.N.T. Audio
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2019, 12:41:55 pm »
I thought I would post an update on this topic, as I am using one of these devices for about a year now to add a network control to the Keithley 617 electrometer used in a production test setup, with very good results. 

Cheers

Alex

Offline wrieken

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2019, 08:19:37 am »
Not sure if this is relevant, but it does seem the HX Engineering has gone the way of the Dodo bird.

There does seem to be a company, Prologix, LLC. But I am not sure if they are better since their software appears to be proprietary. But they do seem to also support TTerm and other terminal emulation programs, albeit at 200 USD, not 150 USD in HX Engineering.

Perhaps the great EEVBlog guru can make a comparison for everyone?

I had thought of it before, then I spent 150,000 USD on all new Keysight equipment and gave up on it.

Will...

Offline JxR

• Supporter
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2019, 08:36:19 am »
Not sure if this is relevant, but it does seem the HX Engineering has gone the way of the Dodo bird.

Did you try even contacting the creator, or is this just your random guess?  We just cleared him out of his stock of the Kiss-488 on eBay.  I would expect the guy plans to restock and continue selling his product, but no reason you can't just ask him directly what his plans for the product are.

Offline wrieken

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2019, 08:56:32 am »
I did a general web search on his company and found no web page for hxengineering.com on google which was labeled upon the item tested by EEVblog. When I typed in hxengineering.com I got a returned a failed page. So no web page.

In today's world, if you don't have a web page, you don't have a business.

I did check out eBay (KISS-488) and got a pretty picture of Prince Kiss 7 ... , which didn't seem to fit the description of a GPIB device.

So I just do not see any way to get contact the company that sells the device or that it even exists. If you know his contact information, perhaps you should post it so others can contact him? Perhaps he should invest in a proper webpage like real companies do?

Will...

Offline JxR

• Supporter
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2019, 09:09:49 am »
If you know his contact information, perhaps you should post it so others can contact him?

https://www.ebay.com/usr/hxengr?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Click "Contact" and send them a message if you want.

Offline snoopy

• Frequent Contributor
    • Analog Precision
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2019, 12:54:09 pm »
Here tis ;)

Offline gslick

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2019, 08:10:38 pm »
If you know his contact information, perhaps you should post it so others can contact him?

https://www.ebay.com/usr/hxengr?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Click "Contact" and send them a message if you want.

SteveHx was here on this thread but hasn't been back since then:
Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 11:50:12 am
Reply #10 on: January 23, 2018, 10:50:32 pm

If you have questions, maybe try sending him a private message and let him know this thread is active again in case he wants to pop back in.

He has been active recently on the "HP-Agilent-Keysight-equipment" group at groups.io
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 11:19:11 pm by gslick »

Offline Grandchuck

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2019, 01:34:08 pm »
This from Steve:  "I have the wheels turning for another production run, but it won't be available for a couple weeks."

Offline Grandchuck

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2019, 06:26:03 pm »
Received mine this week.  It is so easy to use it is hard to believe it really is an IEEE488 gadget  :)

The User Guide is available as a download: https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/files-137/KISS-48820User20Guide.pdf

The guide mentions Cary Oler's logging and graphing program ... screen shot below.

The data are for a Siglent function/arb generator and an HP 53131A.

Offline Grandchuck

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2019, 08:18:40 pm »
Here is a startup graph for my rubidium oscillator.

Offline SteveHx

« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2024, 03:28:03 pm »
Hx Engineering, LLC is still around. I believe the website was down for a bit as I was having a problem with the ISP, now under a new ISP.

I had discontinued producing KISS-488 because the BOM cost was too close to the sale price to be practical, for the amount of time required to support it. I am now working on a possible modified design that will be more cost-effective, and possibly allow a lower sale price as well. I have other product ideas in various stages of development as well, but I don't like to announce anything before I actually have product to ship. Much as I understand today's realities, I still hate the standard model: first sell it, then build it, then design it. Aaaccckkkk!!!

Offline richnormand

• Supporter
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2024, 11:14:53 pm »
Have one of those. Worked well for a project.
A bit quirky but it did work.

Repair, Renew, Reuse, Recycle, Rebuild, Reduce, Recover, Repurpose, Restore, Refurbish, Recondition, Renovate

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf