Author Topic: Latest 9999 counts dmm released! AN8009 for $24 now!  (Read 52642 times)

Offline Statik

Re: Latest 9999 counts dmm released! AN8009 for $24 now!
« Reply #100 on: January 29, 2018, 12:16:07 pm »
Ah yes, sorry. I missed who's review it was and who linked it.
Yes, I did take a look at the chart and the mouse-over pop-ups. I like it. As I mentioned in my mistaken reply to Russ, I especially like your standardized testing with the chart that lists the possible features and light's up the ones that the meter has. I think it makes it easier to see how closely the meter matches your desired specs.
Are you planning to make a filter for the reviews where you can narrow the results but desired features and the like?
Rod

Offline HKJ

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #101 on: January 29, 2018, 12:27:01 pm »
Are you planning to make a filter for the reviews where you can narrow the results but desired features and the like?

It is not database based, this makes it rather difficult to do, but I am planning on doing some preselected lists.

The following users thanked this post: Statik

Offline Statik

« Reply #102 on: January 29, 2018, 12:28:37 pm »
It is possible to do some basic sorting right in HTML/CSS with Javascript so that you don't need to get into programming. I've done some similar things in the past on some old projects I worked on.
Rod

Offline HKJ

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #103 on: January 29, 2018, 12:32:19 pm »
It is possible to do some basic sorting right in HTML/CSS with Javascript so that you don't need to get into programming. I've done some similar things in the past on some old projects I worked on.

I do not mind programming, but not the the current webserver. I have included a sort function in the table, just click on the headers.

The following users thanked this post: Statik

Offline mandor

• Contributor
« Reply #104 on: February 03, 2018, 12:39:14 pm »
These meters are crazy good. I compared few voltage readings with my Brymen BM867s and they show almost identical values. To the third decimal.
I don't know about current and resistance but voltage is crazy accurate.

The following users thanked this post: Russ

Offline texaspyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105 on: February 03, 2018, 05:38:48 pm »
I've checked a few 8009's vs 8008's and the 8009's don't seem to calibrated quite as well as the 8008's.  They were all a couple of counts low (at 5V in) and 10K resistance.

Offline ManuelMcLure

• Contributor
  • WW1FA
« Reply #106 on: February 08, 2018, 06:35:19 pm »
So I got my AN8009 from Banggood yesterday. First impressions:

- Compared to my HP 974A this thing is tiny!
- From a comfort and ease-of-use standpoint I think the probes are fine. I would definitely say that they're more comfortable than the original probes that came with my HP 974A (I'm continually amazed at how nasty those things feel) although they're not as nice as my ProbeMasters. As far as performance is concerned I don't know how they measure up. I do like that I got a second set of probes with replaceable tips/connectors - my HP didn't come with anything like that and although I have those for the ProbeMasters they were an extra cost option.
- I'm not going to trust it for high energy stuff, but for low voltage I think this is going to be my go-to meter.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107 on: February 08, 2018, 06:55:14 pm »
- Compared to my HP 974A this thing is tiny!

I think they're a bit too small, especially the grabber on the selector switch.

(the way the grabber is rounded off at the ends doesn't help either, it should stick up a bit at the ends).

Offline Statik

« Reply #108 on: February 08, 2018, 07:45:10 pm »
I've been making good use of the alligator clip ends on the 'make your own' probe wires that came in the kit. They are great for leaving the meter in circuit for measuring current while you change settings and such.
The meter IS very small, which I don't see as a downside, or an upside, it just is. If you like a bigger meter, get a different one. Kind like dissing a smart car because you can't carry plywood inside. The real question is, does it do the job it says it is built to do? I think it does, within limits.

The following users thanked this post: nugglix, Jacon, Russ

Offline Stinger

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #109 on: March 09, 2018, 11:26:49 pm »
Hi friends ! :)

AN8008 are more accurate than latest AN8009 ?

At 6min30 :

https://youtu.be/TP4kzXdJIF4?t=6m30s
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 11:32:14 pm by Stinger »

Offline Calambres

• Frequent Contributor
    • Piso-Tones
« Reply #110 on: March 10, 2018, 09:11:03 am »
In my experience, no. I've got both and the 8009 seems to be a bit more accurate.

BTW, I performed the cap upgrade on both units and it is indeed a recommended modification: the readings are notably faster.

The following users thanked this post: soubitos

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #111 on: March 10, 2018, 09:13:34 am »
Hi friends ! :)

AN8008 are more accurate than latest AN8009 ?

Every meter will be different.

The specification for DC voltage on these meters is "±(0.5%+3)"

So 5.000V can read anywhere from 4.972 and 5.028 volts on the meter and you can't complain.

(they're usually better than that...)

Offline Stinger

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #112 on: March 17, 2018, 10:17:26 pm »
Thanks for answers !

Caps upgrade looks good.

Received AN8009 yesterday. Cute tiny DMM.

Is it possible to disable beep when changing mod or pressing button ?

Offline carpin

• Contributor
« Reply #113 on: March 18, 2018, 09:06:06 pm »
Is the ANENG AN870 the latest version?

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114 on: March 18, 2018, 09:20:55 pm »
Is the ANENG AN870 the latest version?

The AN870 is obviously from the larger series of meters. It might be a successor to the AN860(B). The AN8008 and 8009 have a significantly smaller form factor.

Online trobbins

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #115 on: July 16, 2018, 05:49:01 am »
Can anyone clarify the meter's internal resistance when measuring ACV and DCV?

HJK's review indicates:
Input impedance is 10Mohm to 11Mohm on DC and AC
mV range is high input impedance for DC up to about 1.5V, then it drops to 3kohm, mV AC is similar, except it is capped by a 10Mohm resistor.

Does that mean that input impedance is 10Mohm to 11Mohm on all DC and AC voltage ranges? 

Is it the 9.999V FS range that has an input impedance change, dropping to 3kohm above about 1.5V?  Is that the only range (AC or DC) that has that change in input impedance?

I've just ordered in this meter, so can't test this myself yet.  Just concerned as I was hoping to generally use this meter for valve related circuits where high input resistance is pretty much mandatory on all voltage ranges (AC or DC).

Ciao, Tim

Offline HKJ

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #116 on: July 16, 2018, 06:09:25 am »
Does that mean that input impedance is 10Mohm to 11Mohm on all DC and AC voltage ranges? 

Each range has a fixed input impedance, but it varies between 10 and 11Mohm depending on range.

Is it the 9.999V FS range that has an input impedance change, dropping to 3kohm above about 1.5V?  Is that the only range (AC or DC) that has that change in input impedance?

The mV range is below 1V, you will onlly see the low impedance when overloading the range, like trying to measure mV ripple on a DC rail with the AC mV range

Online trobbins

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #117 on: July 16, 2018, 07:58:45 am »
Ta muchly.  The penny drops now - any of the autoranged DC mV ranges will effectively overload (change input impedance) with more than about 1.5VAC (rms I guess) applied, and vice versa any of the autoranged AC mV ranges will effectively overload (change input impedance) with more than about 1.5VDC applied.

Audio amplifier testing often requires mV ripple or signal voltage measurements on a DCV well over 1.5V, so I will need to use the V level ranges with at best 1mV resolution but more likely 100mV resolution, and go to the lab meter if signal or ripple is too low.

Would anyone have measured the crest factor performance, or have a view on that based on the generic chip used?  I'd be interested to know if much higher than 3 can be achieved if range FS was not exceeded by the peak of the waveform - I can check that with my HP3400A - rectifier pulse current waveforms in a typical power supply get very peaky, and that's where a fuse is normally inserted so a good rms measurement helps.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 08:02:32 am by trobbins »

Offline HKJ

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #118 on: July 16, 2018, 09:02:46 am »
Ta muchly.  The penny drops now - any of the autoranged DC mV ranges will effectively overload (change input impedance) with more than about 1.5VAC (rms I guess) applied, and vice versa any of the autoranged AC mV ranges will effectively overload (change input impedance) with more than about 1.5VDC applied.

It is 1.5V DC or peak for both AC and DC mV ranges.

Audio amplifier testing often requires mV ripple or signal voltage measurements on a DCV well over 1.5V, so I will need to use the V level ranges with at best 1mV resolution but more likely 100mV resolution, and go to the lab meter if signal or ripple is too low.

You could put a capacitor in series with the meter.

Offline solarity

• Contributor
« Reply #119 on: July 30, 2018, 01:26:09 pm »
Someone a few people on reddit suggested the 8008, though I saw the 8009. From what I am understanding you get temp probe and a bag for a few bucks more? I also see someone mentioned the AN870. I am looking at the different multimeter. Currently I am working on Low voltage 5v/12v and building some circuit boards. My current MM is an manual range Ideal, and it is annoying switching between the different ranges. Though the ideal does have temp. I see people recommend having two. Which one would guys suggest I buy for someone who is getting into the hobby?

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120 on: July 30, 2018, 02:48:15 pm »
I see people recommend having two.

Yes, one meter isn't enough. Two meters lets you compare readings so you know your meter is working, you can measure voltage/current simultaneously, etc.

Which one would guys suggest I buy for someone who is getting into the hobby?

I say AN860B+.

People complain that it's a bigger but it's a much more usable meter than the AN800X series (IMHO). Better built, better ergonomics, no gaps in the ranges, standard size fuses, ... etc.

Yes, I own both types. If you're getting two meters you could get one of each, too.

Offline solarity

• Contributor
« Reply #121 on: July 30, 2018, 03:29:41 pm »
I see people recommend having two.

Yes, one meter isn't enough. Two meters lets you compare readings so you know your meter is working, you can measure voltage/current simultaneously, etc.

Which one would guys suggest I buy for someone who is getting into the hobby?

I say AN860B+.

People complain that it's a bigger but it's a much more usable meter than the AN800X series (IMHO). Better built, better ergonomics, no gaps in the ranges, standard size fuses, ... etc.

Yes, I own both types. If you're getting two meters you could get one of each, too.

I am just starting to get into this hobby and I am learning a lot. :) After looking into these more it seems like the gap resides in the mA range for the 8000 series. This is a range I specifically want to look at, so with this in mind, you might be right.

I already do have one MM, an Ideal 61-310, granted it seems a bit limited compared to some other ones I have looked at. I am looking for a new one to be my main, so I would only like to buy one at this time.

Regarding the AN860B+, have you looked at the AN870? If so what are your thoughts.

Edit: Hrmm I do see that EEVBlog does sell one for ~$125.  I assume this is a good meter, if eevblog gets a cut of this, I think that is cool. I don't mind contributing to some youtubers, I already support some via patrion. To me the insight provided from the content is a very good value. For some reason I take into account value more than price point. I think eevblog provides a very good value.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 04:14:19 pm by solarity »

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122 on: July 30, 2018, 04:28:46 pm »
Regarding the AN860B+, have you looked at the AN870? If so what are your thoughts.

Last time I looked they were much more expensive for not many extra features.

Edit: Hrmm I do see that EEVBlog does sell one for ~$125.  I assume this is a good meter, if eevblog gets a cut of this, I think that is cool. I don't mind contributing to some youtubers, I already support some via patrion. To me the insight provided from the content is a very good value. For some reason I take into account value more than price point. I think eevblog provides a very good value.

It's a rebranded Brymen BM235 - a nice little meter.

You're still going to need two meters though.  :popcorn:

Offline solarity

• Contributor
« Reply #123 on: July 30, 2018, 05:26:29 pm »

Last time I looked they were much more expensive for not many extra features.

It's a rebranded Brymen BM235 - a nice little meter.

You're still going to need two meters though.  :popcorn:

The prices seem similar/negligible between the 860B+ and the 870. When you say I need to meters are you saying two identical ones or two meters in general are fine. I already have an Ideal meter, granted it isn't that great.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124 on: July 30, 2018, 05:35:06 pm »
The prices seem similar/negligible between the 860B+ and the 870.

The 870 seems to have dropped a lot. There's maybe less than 10 Euros difference now (but 10 Euros is still 50% at these prices).

I'm sure the 870 is a good meter for low voltage DC work but I don't own one so I'm not really the right person to ask about practical differences.

When you say I need to meters are you saying two identical ones or two meters in general are fine. I already have an Ideal meter, granted it isn't that great.

Definitely not two identical ones - they might both have the same bugs and/or modes of failure. The idea is to contrast and compare readings for extra confidence.

(and make the occasional reading that needs two meters simultaneously)

« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 05:58:52 pm by Fungus »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf