Author Topic: LCR Meter  (Read 2651 times)

Offline Spark-DoctorTopic starter

• Contributor
LCR Meter
« on: June 21, 2018, 09:58:41 pm »
Hi all.

I have a few buckaroos spare a thought I would treat myself to a LCR meter but after a bit of searching, the specs vary quite a bit. As a hobbyist, what spec should I be looking for?

I have about £100-150 to spend and have found a couple in that range.

Thanks in advance

Ian

Offline NivagSwerdna

• Super Contributor
Re: LCR Meter
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 10:23:06 pm »
I bought a DER EE DE-5000 some time back.  I bought it on EBAY from a seller in Japan (sorry can't remember which one exactly).

I like it and it does more than I need.

Offline cvanc

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 10:30:16 pm »
Second on the DER EE DE-5000.  Fine little meter, right in your price range.  I use mine almost every day.

Offline Spark-DoctorTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 11:38:28 pm »
Thanks for the recommendation. Just watched Daves review and I am sold.

Only problem is I can’t find anyone with stock in the uk sort looks like I am waiting for a week or two  |O

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2018, 03:56:23 am »
Yep, the usual source is Japan. Good little meter.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2018, 05:49:41 am »
If that’s your budget I’d avoid all the random crap and just get a peak one:

https://www.peakelec.co.uk/acatalog/lcr45.html

Offline cheeseit

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2018, 05:57:58 am »
I have both a LCR-45 and a DER EE DE-5000 and recommend getting the latter.

Online kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2018, 06:37:53 am »
yep... one measures down to 0.1 ohm, and the other down to 0.001 ohm for almost the same price
which one would you choose ?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2018, 07:18:44 am »
Considering parasitics pretty much killing the quoted accuracy, the one with the higher measurement frequency, traceable calibration and turns up next day without getting buggered by Royal Mail for import duty.

Offline rhb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2018, 09:32:36 pm »
I have the LCR-45 and the ESR-70 and am pleased with both.  I've not done extensive testing, but they did what I wanted when I needed them.

I've also got a DCA-75 which is quite impressive when hooked up to a PC to trace curves.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2018, 12:11:28 am »
Don't forget about the XJW01 LCR meter (see Ebay). It doesn't have high test frequencies but it is surprisingly accurate even for very low values.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline innkeeper

• Supporter
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2018, 03:53:17 am »
+1 DER EE DE-5000  :-+
Hobbyist and a retired engineer and possibly a test equipment addict, though, searching for the equipment to test for that.

Offline 1anX

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2018, 12:57:40 am »
I was looking for a good hobbyist LCR meter and came across this thread. The result being I have just placed an order for one coming out of Japan.

The cost was $US105.00 (inc postage) and it comes with the clips, tweezers and guard (TL21-TL22-TL23). I have also ordered a set of kelvin clips and leads with the BNC connections which I'll cut off and connect in place of the supplied alligator clips.

Looks to be very good value and a well made product from reviews and comments I've read. Anyway I'll soon find out for myself how well it works!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/282040803373
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 09:36:39 pm by 1anX »

Offline Doctorandus_P

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2018, 07:29:23 pm »
Just wondering, Is the DER EE DE-5000 the same as the IET?

EEVblog #229 - IET DE-5000 LCR Meter Teardown

Dave talks about a price of around USD300 (with box and all accesories?)
On Ebay I see the DER EE for prices as low as USD50.
Are all these DER EE's equal, or are there clones ?

Oops, Can't find the USD 50 variant anymore...
Price varies quite a lot with the accesories. At least the TL-21 adapter seems good to have in your bundle.

The long time to recalibrate wen changing adapters seems to be a nuisance though:

Offline bugi

• Regular Contributor
  • Hobbyist using the ultra slow and unsure method
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2018, 07:46:52 pm »
Note the date on Dave's video's. IET has since stopped selling it, but DER still produces it. IET now sells 6000 version (for high price), which is apparently pretty much the same thing, just ever so slightly more tightly calibrated or something.

Yes, the IET and DER versions of 5000 are basically the same. However, the DER versions may be a few components different/missing (apparently saving cents on some less critical components), and perhaps some other "behind the scenes" differences, like in calibration (or lack of it). But hard to say what could be affected and how, since the facts on the chipset etc. seem to be hidden from the public. Anyway, they do work the same.

I'd recommend buying at least the tweezers and one other adapter (to use as is, or to DIY change it to use whatever cables/clips desired).
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 07:49:37 pm by bugi »

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2018, 08:08:19 pm »
Note the date on Dave's video's. IET has since stopped selling it, but DER still produces it. IET now sells 6000 version (for high price), which is apparently pretty much the same thing, just ever so slightly more tightly calibrated or something.
IET does not sell the DE-6000 anymore. They changed suppliers and moved away from portable meters altogether.
https://ietlabs.com/de6000-lcr-meter.html
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
  • A sociable geek chemist
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2018, 09:15:31 pm »
Personally, I would get both the DE-5000 and one of the cheap Mega328 Component Testers.
  • The DE-5000 is hands-down one of the best pro-sumer level LCR meters are the market. It has years of data and support. It is well known inside and out, with all flaws and benefits documented.
  • The Mega328 testers are great for all of the random features they offer and as a jack of all trades device (though admittedly a master of none). I find I keep this device out regularly, just for quick sanity checks and when I need to test possibly blown components. Additionally, the extra features that are being added have been making it more and more useful over time.

Each have their place and usefulness.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2018, 01:46:08 am »
Dave talks about a price of around USD300 (with box and all accesories?)
On Ebay I see the DER EE for prices as low as USD50.
Are all these DER EE's equal, or are there clones ?

All of the genuine listings are of the same meter. Their prices vary because, nowadays, you can buy the meter alone or packaged with different accessories (clip leads, tweezer probe, guard lead, power adapter, PC cable & software).

The uncharacteristically low-priced listings have been scams and removed not too long after appearing. If it's too good to be true... :horse:
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline NivagSwerdna

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2018, 01:04:15 pm »
I'd recommend buying at least the tweezers....
+1 I almost exclusively use the tweezers (since I'm almost exclusively playing with SMD components)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf