Author Topic: Lecroy DDA-5005 DSO Teardown  (Read 4297 times)

Online MechatrommerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
Lecroy DDA-5005 DSO Teardown
« on: January 19, 2019, 02:37:17 pm »
fwiw...
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

The following users thanked this post: salvagedcircuitry

• Super Contributor
Re: Lecroy DDA-5005 DSO Teardown
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 02:37:58 pm »
next...
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 06:31:08 pm »
does anyone know where is the XXL memory (hardware) option located? or likely is? i want to compare STD and XXL memory difference. and also does anyone know where the eeprom storing licenses code is? or likely is? so maybe i can make backup of it in case it is corrupted. thanks.

Offline nsrmagazin

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 09:58:40 pm »
Perhaps the service manual can help you. Otherwise you need to check the numbers of the chips or guess if you know from where the information comes and then check the numbers.

Long:
https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/research-centres-and-groups/centre-for-bio-inspired-technology/7293023.PDF
Short:
http://cdn.teledynelecroy.com/files/manuals/wsxs_om_revc.pdf
Other:
http://www.libertytest.com/assetmanager/uploaded/pdf-20081215-111511-dda5005a_ds.pdf
Hi all!
If you like the post, please press "thanks".

The following users thanked this post: Mechatrommer

Online DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 10:53:58 pm »
Acquisition memory is right on the ADC module boards, so it's either additional or larger chips on there (under the individual heatsinks), though and whatever kind of firmware switches are needed.  There may be a configuration chip on the acquisition board, but the options are on an EEPROM on the PCI interface card, if I remember right.  It's been found and analyzed to some degree in other threads, since this is the same general architecture as the 7x00a series.

Looks nearly identical to the 7200s and 7300a I've seen, with the exception of the timing distribution board in back and the frontend boards.  The lower spec scopes have a smaller heatsink, a cage (where the thermal pad is), and mate straight to the front panel, and the timing board on your DDA looks like it's thermally/RF isolated with the can, whereas the other scopes I've seen have a low loss PCB with individual cans over things.  Well, while the ADC boards are similar, they may be larger for the XXL memory option, I don't think the ones I've run into have had 6 heatsunk memory chips on them.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 11:42:18 pm by DaJMasta »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 11:41:08 pm »
Perhaps the service manual can help you.
there is no service manual available for xtream scope. what you linked are user manual and i dont think they have internal details of the scope, i read few of them ie for 5005 and 6000 scope. thanks anyway.

Acquisition memory is right on the ADC module boards, so it's either additional or larger chips on there and whatever kind of firmware switches are needed.
yeah i also think so. i guess the ADC module is the left side in this picture...

since no RAM visible on top, i guess it should be on the bottom. i think dismantling that module (that thick metal bar) will affect calibration, no? thats what i'm afraid of and dont want to touch anything near it. i saw some people selling this module in ebay but they dont show underside of it. i guess this is not an easy hack, like simply adding more RAM IC easy and adding the license?

btw i PMed some member here who i guess succesfully helped another guy to recover a lecroy scope from corrupted eeprom (where all licenses reside) in https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/need-help-with-restoring-license-eeprom-lecroy-7200a-wavepro/?topicscreen but he hasnt reply yet, maybe all LeCroyUser are busy probing :-/O  :-\

Online DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2019, 11:45:43 pm »
Didn't see the update with my edit, but those individual heatsinks on the leftmost side are the RAM chips.  I would not remove the bar, it would assuredly void any stored calibration.  That bar holds the interface from the ADC board's input to the yellow distribution board (handles routing of signals to two ADCs for 20GS/s mode two channel mode), and probably also holds on the frontend interface part.  These are going to be very tight tolerance and very susceptible to contamination, so while it may be possible to do it safely at home, just disassembling or tightening it down the wrong way could cause irreversible damage or require a full calibration.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2019, 01:20:08 am »
ok, i didnt know RAM needs heatsink. if that is the case, then trying to upgrade it at home is as good as impossible. here is picture from seller selling the 5005 adc module... i guess its "NOT" the XXL module since it only got 3 heatsinks (instead of 6 on XXL). there's no pad at all to make an upgrade! dough...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lecroy-AD-module-for-Wavepro-7300-wavemaster-8500-DDA5005-etc/163457630065?hash=item260ed57f71:g:vocAAOSw3wVajckN:rk:6:pf:0

Online DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2019, 02:17:33 am »
I think that's a fair assumption.  I also wouldn't put in an ADC like that into the unit you've torn down, the PCB does not match and yours could also be a different revision.... who knows whether compatibility would match with a mismatched set, and since this layout was used for a large number of scopes (7000, 7000a, 8000 series), there are probably a few revisions of modules that need different configuration settings or require other specific module revisions.

Offline sixtimesseven

• Frequent Contributor
    • Flickr
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2019, 08:25:47 am »
Do you know which mainboard is in your unti?
The manufacturing date would be interesting to me as well since they might changed it over time.

Thank you!

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2019, 10:23:22 am »
checking my pictures record, the backside sticker showed its a 2008 unit (11th Jan). if you know which part on the pcb showing pcb revision, please point it to me i can check my pictures record, this unit is not with me anymore, it was just for a brief moment.

Offline sixtimesseven

• Frequent Contributor
    • Flickr
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2019, 11:00:53 am »
Do you still have pictures of the pc section of the unit with the pc mainboards?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2019, 12:00:31 pm »
the motherboard is D865GLC... not much and not too detailed the pictures i took... you can check this thread for PC side upgrade and OS restoration...
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/upgrading-mainboard-in-lecroy-dda-3000-(aka-wavepro-7300a)/?topicscreen
btw did you get your 5005 for about $1500? i was watching one of it (no HDD) besides another SDA6000, both about $1500, and both are sold... another 5005 from Singapore for about the same price earlier with one channel broken also gone.

The following users thanked this post: sixtimesseven

Offline sixtimesseven

• Frequent Contributor
    • Flickr
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2019, 12:37:54 pm »

Offline sixtimesseven

• Frequent Contributor
    • Flickr
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2019, 12:40:47 pm »
the motherboard is D865GLC...

Ha so they did not update it. My device was build in 04. Nice, yes I want to upgrade to ssd and maybe mod the cpu etc as well if the channels work. I saw the upgrade thread but I was worried since the wavepro there is both another series (7000 vs 8000) and older as far as I could see.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2019, 01:40:24 pm »
yes thats the one. i offered him $500 just to test my luck, i cant offer much as shipping alone is expensive already. he made counter offer $1400. so your offer is a steal... congratulations its good to know a member here grabbed it, i hope the SDA6000 as well..

Offline sixtimesseven

• Frequent Contributor
    • Flickr
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2019, 02:23:19 pm »
yes thats the one. i offered him $500 just to test my luck, i cant offer much as shipping alone is expensive already. he made counter offer $1400. so your offer is a steal... congratulations its good to know a member here grabbed it, i hope the SDA6000 as well..

I guess I have to thank you for wearing him down  :-+
Shipping was 170 + 230 for taxes. Wish we would have offers like this in Europe.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 02:25:04 pm by sixtimesseven »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf