Author Topic: Miniware MDP-XP Digital Power Supply Set  (Read 20029 times)

Offline brainstorm

• Regular Contributor
Re: Miniware MDP-XP Digital Power Supply Set
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2019, 01:31:23 am »
Message from MiniWare's service inquiring about firmware being opensource and the PD feature, from 5 minutes ago by email:

PD version MDP-P905 is on the development.
It can't upgrade by software, need hardware change.
The firmware will open source soon.

M01 will open source code this year
P905 will be released a little later
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 02:21:28 am by brainstorm »

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline brainstorm

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2020, 02:04:52 am »
Followed up with miniware support:

MDP will release a new firmware in these two months,
Then I will consider first to open source M01

So we can expect M01 source code around February 2020 to the latest?

Offline hex00110

• Supporter
  • Just a hobbyist
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2020, 04:19:38 am »
Are you sure your USB C cable is QC3 compatible?

I just got this unit, and my anker QC3 battery can power it -- but i have to use my anker powerline+ qc3 rated cable.

I grabbed the standard USB C cable that came with my gopro, no dice.
-Hex

Offline RC0

« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2020, 06:32:49 pm »
For all whom firmware update bricked the PSU or display unit (stuck in DFU mode) and don't want to wait for customer support; for me solution was to upload .bin file (without .ADR file), then it will appear with .NOT file. After that I uploaded .hex file and voilĂ !

The following users thanked this post: Vitaly

Offline YurkshireLad

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2021, 02:54:53 pm »
I watched a couple of videos on the MXP-XP and thought "Wow, that's cool! Wonder if I can afford it?" It's C$400 here in Canada.  |O

Offline RC0

« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2021, 07:05:58 pm »
I manage to bought mine for ~190 USD (both; display and base unit) from China using some black-friday promo codes. After 3 month of usage I would say that the main unit is fine but the display unit is a bit useless.
It can connect with base station only as far as 0,5m but maybe it just problem with my unit. Thankfully after last update it is possible to control the output in ON/OFF manner from the display unit and I can turn off main unit without disconnecting power source - what an upgrade. 
I would much more like to see solution where I could control all from smartphone app just like VOLTBOT.  I hope they finally gonna release source code which they claimed it a long time ago but it still didn't happened. Also I heard that they preparing newer version which will support QC and PD.

I would also suggest to be careful with switching between power sources (DC jack and USB). I powered mine with 24V and after that I wanted to try USB, so I waited a bit and pressed "on" button to discharge potential input capacity. Nevertheless it damage one of my USB ports:(.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 07:09:32 pm by RC0 »

Offline maxwellVII

« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2021, 04:28:05 am »
It can connect with base station only as far as 0,5m but maybe it just problem with my unit.

I'm also having this annoyance, I emailed them and they said they're limiting the range to 20cm. This wouldn't be a big deal, but in noisy environments around other devices, the wireless connection has difficulty for me. Its a shame because otherwise (ignoring the lack of PD) I love my unit.

I did some looking into it, and it seems that they're using NRF24L01+ 2.4Ghz modules for the wireless connection, which appears to be a common part in the maker world. The NRF unit itself seems to be capable of much, much longer ranges than 20cm, so I'm guessing that it's being software limited. I'm surprised nobody has created a software mod to extend the range of the units, but it seems like it would be very doable once the source code gets released.

Offline LampHead

« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2021, 03:17:40 am »
Miniware said that new variant of MDP-XP supports PD 100W and is called MDP-P906. Coming soon!!

Offline Vitaly

« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2021, 09:31:30 pm »
I found that device will work with usb c power cable if plug it through usb tester with pd switch on. Actually I tried with two power plugs and both supports latest pd technology, but only works with usb tester. Firmware upgrade to 1.25 doesn't help (and works only as described, first I put hex file and when it go ERR I put bin and it was uprades) :-\

With powerbank it works too
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 09:41:09 pm by Vitaly »

Offline LampHead

« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2021, 05:36:50 pm »
I think we just have to wait for a PD version if is in the making

Offline herczegzsolt

« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2022, 01:20:29 am »
I did some digging with USB-C devices, and I have also took apart my P905 to take a look at why it does not work from USB-C capable chargers.

Fun fact: the Miniware P905 would work, even from 5V USB.

It turns out that the USB-C port is actually wired incorrectly on the P905. The CC pin is left floating, which indicates "unplugged" state for a USB-C cable. Therefore, any USB-C power supply would not provide any voltage, not even 5V volt.
If a device wants to operate in legacy mode, a 5.1k pulldown resistor should be present on the CC pin.

The reason the P905 works at all is that you're probably using it with a USB-A to USB-C cable. Since a USB-A connector does not have a CC pin, the floating pin on the miniware does not cause an issue.

If you want to use the miniware form. USB-C brick, you can use two adapters to trick the powerbrick into legacy mode: a USB-C -> USB-A -> USB-C double conversion will make things work. (It'll use 5V if there's no QC capability on the powerbrick and 12V if there is. QC does not use the CC pin to negotiate.)

It would be theoretically easy to fix the P905 by just putting two 5.1k resistors inside (there are two CC pins in USB-C). I did make it work with a 5.1k resistor on a USB-C breakout board in series with the miniware, but the connector pins and the free space inside was way too small for me to succesfully fit that inside the housing. Maybe someone with am extremly steady hand and razor sharp soldering iron could pull it off.

For Miniware, it should be easy to add those two 5.1k resistors to the PCB layout, at least until PD support arrives. Please do so!

Seems like mishandled CC lines in peripherals are a common cause of USB-C compatibility issues. For example the Raspberry Pi 4 had a similar but slightly different problem with them as well.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 01:50:37 am by herczegzsolt »

Online ploxiln

« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2022, 02:23:51 am »
The updated MDP-P906 seems to now be available on AliExpress for $160 - $173 USD. USB-C PD, 30V 10A 300W (up to 14A input ?!), a bit thicker with a fan. I was shopping around about a month ago, and found the MDP-P906 manual had recently been published by Miniware, but couldn't find it for sale anywhere, so I ordered an MDP-P905 (with shipping and NY taxes $123), it should be quite sufficient for my needs.

Even though I had already read about it in this thread ... when I was first trying out the MDP-P905, I powered it up with a 19V barrel jack laptop charger, looked through the menus, unplugged it then connected it to my laptop with a usb-c to usb-a cable ... and the laptop zapped right off from having 19v injected into its 5v usb port. Luckily the laptop was fine after a power cycle. Measuring with a multimeter, the charge in the input capacitors can remain for a surprisingly long time.

In addition to my 19V 65W barrel plug laptop power adapter, I have an 87W USB-C Macbook charger, so I got a little USB-C 20V PD trigger to barrel plug dongle for $11 on Amazon. Given I was already aware of the handful of hardware design issues with the MDP-P905: (no USB-C PD not even 5V, need to ensure discharged before connecting to PC, non-standard banana jack spacing), and my primary constraint these days is space/size, I'm happy with this thing.

Offline kloetpatra

• Contributor
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2024, 07:13:28 pm »
It would be theoretically easy to fix the P905 by just putting two 5.1k resistors inside (there are two CC pins in USB-C). I did make it work with a 5.1k resistor on a USB-C breakout board in series with the miniware, but the connector pins and the free space inside was way too small for me to succesfully fit that inside the housing.

I had some P905 laying around. I can confirm that after adding 5.1k pull down resistors at CC1 and CC2 the device works up to 18W @ 12V. 0201 resistors seem to be the perfect size for the job.
I also bought some small PD-trigger boards, maybe it's possible to stuff them inside to get 60W/100W USB-C PD.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf