Author Topic: LeCroy Wavepro HD 8GHz Bw - / 20GS/s 12bit ADC  (Read 13127 times)

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
Re: LeCroy Wavepro HD 8GHz Bw - / 20GS/s 12bit ADC
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2018, 01:01:36 pm »
Or did you mean to make a point that its using Windows on a PC as opposed to using for example VxWorks, Linux ,Windows CE, Android etc.. running on a CPU that's not x86.

Still almost all high end scopes have a embedded PC running Windows. It makes sense to do so too. It does carry a cost penalty as a PC is more expensive than a ARM SoC and Microsoft wants a good bit of money for that Windows license, but these scopes already cost  over $10 000 a piece so its not that big of a factor. Yet using windows brings a lot of other benefits both during development and to the end user. During hardware development they don't need to waste work on the computer part, just buy a motherboard and plug it into the fancy pile of FPGAs and ASICs that make the actual scope part where you focus your development efforts. Then the software department doesn't need to waste time putting together a custom Linux image, just install windows from a CD and it magically works. For the actual scope part they just need to write a tiny driver involving PCIe or whatever else they use to hook up the fancy scope guts. Then when they write the software they can use the very rich set of tools available to windows developers like .Net framework and easy hardware accelerated graphics. The software developers don't need to have prototype hardware on there desk, they just use a normal PC. It all just works

Then as the user the engineers get the familiar windows environment that they already know how to use and they can run existing tools on it like MATLAB, LabView etc or get extra software from the scope manufacturer (Such as Keysights VSA software). The installation that comes on the scope comes with a hidden backup partition that can be used to revive the scope in case the OS breaks for some reason. And you can use all standard peripherals with the scope such as a mouse, keyboard, external monitor etc.

And no, most engineers don't use Linux. We usually don't have time to dick around with getting stuff to work.

Offline darkstar49

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2018, 01:51:47 pm »
Or did you mean to make a point that its using Windows on a PC as opposed to using for example VxWorks, Linux ,Windows CE, Android etc.. running on a CPU that's not x86.

;D

If that's the point... well...just like ANY other scope from Lecroy (not talking about rebranded Siglent stuff, aka WaveSurfer 3K) since more than 15 years !!!!
And also like ANY other brand for their higher-end scopes... (just the latest Tek MSO5x than can have both, i.e. Linux or Windows...), Keysight, Tek, R&S, Lecroy,...

Online David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2018, 06:26:47 pm »
I was not impressed with Windows 7 used in the Tektronix MDO5000 series.  There were various interface glitches, a poorly designed user interface, freezing requiring reboots, poor interface performance, etc.  And that was a $20,000 instrument!

And then I read about problems with oscilloscopes that use Windows when Microsoft support ends.  This loses importance if networking is not used (1) but is this considered a time limited feature?

(1) And I would not care because I am vary familiar with network security at a low level but what about in a corporate environment where network security is considered overhead?

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2018, 07:22:43 pm »
I was not impressed with Windows 7 used in the Tektronix MDO5000 series.  There were various interface glitches, a poorly designed user interface, freezing requiring reboots, poor interface performance, etc.  And that was a $20,000 instrument!
That is more likely a problem of Tektronix' programmers skills than Windows itself. The software for their logic analysers is painfully slow as well. It runs equally fast on a Pentium 1 and a Pentium 5.
BTW The MDO5000 series runs on Linux unless you specifically order the Windows option.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 11:55:33 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2018, 06:05:03 am »
Oh these new 8 channel scopes from Tek are buggy? I was pretty impressed by the well designed UI on these scopes from what i saw in the reviews. They really did a big improvement in comparison to the previous scope.

The software on the Keysight infiniium scopes was pretty solid in my experience. Never crashed or glitched out in a weird way, the speed of it might not be exactly lighting fast but its almost never annoyingly slow (Apart from >100Mpts captures).

The networking thing is not only for windows. Having old linux based devices on a network can also have security risks as various exploits for routers, modems, IP cameras etc.. show, just that scopes are not common enough for people to target, while windows desktops sure as hell are. But if your scope runs Win XP yeah keep it off the network or fortify it behind a strict firewall on the network.

The scopes are still upgradable tho. When windows 7 started becoming a thing, Agilent made a windows 7 upgrade kit for infiniium scopes. The software they run on is common for all infiniium scopes so it gets ported onto new windows (Untill the scope is very old and they drop support such as the 8000 series, those run win 98). For a lot of scopes it was just a CD with software and a win7 license, but some scopes also included a new motherboard in the kit to bring them up to recommended win 7 specs.

Offline Mr Nutts

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2018, 07:07:19 am »
I just bought a Infinum 8064 scope and it runs XP, and I don't believe any 8000 ever run Win98. I think the only Infinum scopes that ran Win98 were very early ones, and I guess the PC part in them would have been too weak to run anything else anyways.

Apparently some people converted their old Infinum scopes from XP to Win7, but really what's the point? It doesn't give you more speed (the performance is still decided by the ASICs), it's not like you can run the newer software for Win7 scopes, and it doesn't give you more security. And I don't think it matters a lot for test instruments like scopes, unless you connect it to the open internet which would be plain stupid anyways.

I recently watched a Youtube video about the Tek MSO5. The scope looks nice but the GUI appears to be very old fashioned, and some things looked outright stupid (i.e. disable a channel by dragging it to the recycle bin???) :wtf:  My 8064 is old but the GUI is much nicer and more logical than the one of this Tek scope. And god I really hope it's not as slow as the Tek scopes we had at college  :scared:
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 07:09:22 am by Mr Nutts »

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2018, 07:33:29 am »
Ah sorry i must have confused it with the older infiniiums that still had the old HP style model numbers. But i do know that the 8000 series is not supported anymore in the latest infiniium software release. I think the support was dropped a bit before the UI redesign with the all black theme.

Sometimes it does help to have a faster PC inside of it. These infiniium scopes do a lot of processing on the PC side, including rendering the waveform and zone trigger.

Oh and upon checking it i noticed that that the latest 6.2 infiniium software does officially support windows 10 now. But is also still officially supported on win7. Perhaps the brand new scopes rolling off the Keysight production line are now also coming with win 10 installed on them.

Offline Mr Nutts

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2018, 07:51:54 am »
I'm not an expert but from what I've read it appears the PC part in the older Infinum scopes doesn't actually do a lot as Agilent built all the scope functionality via ASICs. There are reports from people who upgraded the CPU and RAM in their 8000 scope and didn't see any speed improvement. And rendering the waveform isn't a very demanding task even for those older processors.

This appears to be in contrast to lecroy which (again from what I've read) does everything on the scope's CPU. There are reports where scopes were upgraded with faster CPU and RAM and the scope's performance increased as well.

I don't believe it matters what OS a scope runs on, as long as it does what it says on the tin. What I do like on non-Windows scopes like my LT374M is that they boot very fast compared to my new 8064 which takes like 3 minutes. But it may well be the hard drive which doesn't sound too healthy. Probably time to replace it with a SSD.

Offline srce

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2018, 02:21:49 pm »
Windows can be very handy at times

>:D
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 02:27:27 pm by srce »

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2018, 06:53:15 pm »
Yes at some point you can run into limitations of the FPGA or the interface to the PC. On the old infiniium scopes that interface has to go trough a oldschool PCI slot and those are pretty sluggish by todays standards, but it does seam to have some hardware help for drawing the waveform.

Later on the 9000 series has stepped up to using PCIe 1x to give it significantly more bandwidth, later on the S series has stepped it up PCIe 4x (And likely Gen 2).

At the same time the new infiniium software has moved to .net framework and has started drawing the waveforms completely in the PC, all math channels(including FFT) are also calculated by the CPU. But it does seam to use DirectX graphics acceleration to draw it. You can show this because the software can be installed on a regular windows PC and i had pretty similar performance and responsiveness when i ran the software inside a virtual machine without any of the scope hardware attached.

Oh and the reason why it can draw a 1Gpts waveform in software at a responsive speed is that they cheat and start skipping samples once you zoom out on a very large waveform, as a result you don't get quite as good intensity gradation on long waveforms, its still there, but its not quite as detailed as it could have been.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2018, 06:57:33 pm »
Oh and the reason why it can draw a 1Gpts waveform in software at a responsive speed is that they cheat and start skipping samples once you zoom out on a very large waveform, as a result you don't get quite as good intensity gradation on long waveforms, its still there, but its not quite as detailed as it could have been.
In my experience all DSOs do that. See my RTM3004 review for some typical (aliasing) effects. You can get the same results on any DSO.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Mr Nutts

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2018, 08:35:29 pm »
From what I read, the early Infinums (those with the model numbers that start with 548) had a second graphics card with a very old GPU to draw the waveforms, all connected over PCI.

My Infinum 8064 doesn’t have this additional graphics card, also it has PCIe not PCI.

I understand that the very old Infinums also had no intensity grading, well my 8064 has intensity grading.

I read that the Infinum 8000 is much closer to the Infinum 9000 than to these early Infinums, despite using the same housing.

You are probably right that the Infinum scopes skip samples when you zoom out but I really don’t know, it appears it only uses the full sample memory for the last acquisition before it gets stopped. I only read (and also was told) that lecroy scopes use some kind of binning process when you zoom out so that every sample is represented on the monitor.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2018, 09:35:24 pm »
I hacked my Infiniium 54845A with a faster processor and that does increase the waveform update rate. Someone else put a way more modern CPU in it and he got 20 times the original waveform update rate. Still not stellar for today's standards but quite interesting none the less.

Online David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2018, 11:28:06 pm »

That makes perfect sense just for performance.

Last year I worked out the details for translating a continuous acquisition record to a display record and memory bandwidth is a severe limitation.  Even the L1 cache bandwidth of the fastest processors made is too slow to generate the display record from the entire acquisition record.  That leaves some type of ASIC or FPGA which interleaves the acquisition record to divide up the work and I doubt anybody is doing that.  If they are, their application notes and specifications do not reflect it.

The simple solution is to decimate as required.  The solution I arrived at was to decimate into multiple histograms which have different depths so the lowest depth histogram (1 bit is effectively peak detection) captures the entire acquisition record while higher depth histograms only capture a decimated fraction of the acquisition record as limited by memory bandwidth.  That is when I ran across an application note from Rohde and Schwarz who apparently do something like this with their RTO series of DSOs as shown below.

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2018, 05:26:43 am »
Ah that's a nice way of doing it.

I never noticed any aliasing issues with the infiniium scopes, but perhaps i just haven't found just the right combination of settings and waveforms to get it to show up.

But even the new infiniium scopes don't get you stellar waveform updates due to it all being done in software. A few 1000s wfm/s is all you get. High waveform update rates are in there MegaZoom ASIC scopes and i do like the speedy UI on those. When i mentioned a DSO9000 at a Keysight booth on a tradeshow the guy quickly tried to sell me on a DSOX6000 and shown off its milti-zone trigger at full waveform update rate. I don't really see many people buying these X6000 scopes as they don't make a lot of sense. Sure its a nice scope with 20GS/s 6GHz, but apart from that its essentially a MSOX3000T that is WAY cheaper, but the applications of such a high performance scope usually mean lots of probing setup so the quick nature of the MegaZoom scopes is not that important. Yet if you go for an PC based infiniium you can get them for a better price, but also get the much more powerful software (And also way more sample memory than only 4Mpts). Really the list of math/analysis features can fill an entire A4 page and the list of protocol decoders another A4 page.

Offline Mr Nutts

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2018, 07:02:45 am »
Didn't the early infinums have something like a Socket 7 AMD K6? Who knows maybe the CPU was causing a bottleneck.

Besides, the additional graphics card seemed to have an Chips & Technology 65000 series  GPU. From what I found this GPU is really antique, it came from the days of 386 processors and ISA bus. I can't imagine that this wasn't a bottleneck even for the early Infinum scopes.

But it appears that putting a massively faster CPU in a Infinum 8000 has barely any effect on performance. So the Pentium 4 with PCIe that is in these scopes is probably the sweet spot for the architecture.

I just had a look at the Agilent 54845A spec sheet:
https://literature.cdn.keysight.com/litweb/pdf/5980-2397EN.pdf?id=1000070291:epsg:dow

It says the 54845A update rate is >2100 waveforms per second.

Then I looked at the Infinum 8000 datasheet:
https://literature.cdn.keysight.com/litweb/pdf/5989-4271EN.pdf?id=763880

It says the Infinum 8000 max update rate is >2000.

And you say that just by changing the mainboard and CPU someone got more than 42'000 waveforms per second from a 54845A with slow PCI bus?   :box:
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 07:50:31 am by Mr Nutts »

Offline Mr Nutts

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2018, 07:26:45 am »

Maybe I understand this wrong but how is this special? My LT574 which is now old enough to vote can do that  :-//

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Online David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2018, 03:06:20 pm »
Maybe I understand this wrong but how is this special? My LT574 which is now old enough to vote can do that  :-//

I would need to see some documentation which I was not able to find for the LeCroy Waverunner2 LT574 series but I have been told very specifically that LeCroy does what I discussed first where the entire acquisition record is transferred to the processor without decimation leading to the performance issue I described.  That would be only the "sample" mode shown in the R&S documentation.

There is nothing wrong with using brute force on the processor side as LeCroy apparently does but I was looking for something more efficient and less costly to implement with the added goal of zero blind time.

Offline Mr Nutts

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2018, 12:44:41 pm »
I have no idea what lecroy is doing but I searched a bit and found very little information about these older scopes. The only information I found is from this Mr Wurstunhund and is spread over lots of different threads.

One document that was referenced is this which describes how lecroy's current scopes work:

http://teledynelecroy.com/doc/xstream-ii-technical-brief

What I picked out from the many discussions I read is that the older scopes like my LT574M work basically after the same principle, minus some features like the lossless compression and the preview function and much slower of course.

I'd be lying if I said that I understand everything in that document ;)

It's fascinating stuff nevertheless.

Offline Mr Nutts

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2018, 01:05:59 pm »
But even the new infiniium scopes don't get you stellar waveform updates due to it all being done in software. A few 1000s wfm/s is all you get. High waveform update rates are in there MegaZoom ASIC scopes and i do like the speedy UI on those.

My Infinum 8064 has MegaZoom ASICs but the update rate is still slow at 2000 waveforms per second.

And the Infinum 9000 spec sheet say it, too, has MegaZoom.

So not all MegaZoom scopes are fast.

Online David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2018, 01:11:36 pm »
That LeCroy document agrees with what I wrote and the various posts from Wurstunhund but I wonder if they did it differently in the past.  I did not get into that much detail but breaking the acquisition record up into cache sized chunks is an obvious thing to do to maximize processor throughput which is very important if the processor is doing the heavy lifting which is LeCroy's thing.

It makes good sense because fast processors have benefited the most from increasing integration.  The alternatives are expensive ASICs like HP/Agilent/Keysight did with their Megazoom thing or an FPGA as a lower performance alternative.  FPGAs are not inexpensive but the non-recurring engineering and manufacturing costs of an ASIC make them uneconomical unless the part volume is high or you absolutely need the extra performance and can pay for it.

As Wurstunhund has pointed out, The LeCroy way has the advantage of always working with the entire acquisition record but I am not convinced the trade off is worth it.

My Infinum 8064 has MegaZoom ASICs but the update rate is still slow at 2000 waveforms per second.  And the Infinum 9000 spec sheet say it, too, has MegaZoom.  So not all MegaZoom scopes are fast.

I got the feeling that HP/Agilent/Keysight uses the same MegaZoom ASIC in different models but limits performance to enforce market segmentation.

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2018, 04:36:11 pm »
I was referring to the other non PC scopes, i forgot they used the MegaZoom branding on the PC ones too.

I don't think they use the same kind of MegaZoom ASIC in the PC based scopes. The ones that don't have PCs inside, 6000, 7000, X2000, X3000, X4000, X6000 etc that have the super fast update rate are a highly integrated solution where basically everything is done in a single chip. The ADC feeds the ASIC and that spits out the image to the screen while the CPU sits on the side doing its thing with the menus and i/o interfaces.

The PC based scopes on the other hand are not all that highly integrated. There are many large chips with heatsinks doing various tasks and all the sample memory is external in the form of a large bank of dynamic RAM with a really wide bus to the acquisition ASICs. There are also always huge FPGAs to be frond on the board that ties all of it together and shovels the data back out to the PC.

Considering they probably don't sell a whole lot of these high end scopes likely means they have a separate ASIC for the fast update scopes while the ASIC used on the PC based one is mostly just a fairly dumb shovel data from the ADC to RAM and then back out to the FPGA. Saving on R&D cost on that ASIC by making something simple that doesn't need revisions to get right while putting most of the smarts into the FPGA where they can update and patch it since these scopes are expensive so they can swallow the cost of a beefy FPGA. Those 20GS/s ADCs likely cost quite a bit more than the FPGA anyway.

Oh and those 2000 waveforms/s is only under very specific conditions like 4 K sample memory, no measurements and single channel. As soon as you start turning on more features the update rate drops lower. But that's what you tend to get with PC based scopes, if you can afford a high end scope you can likely also afford a more midrange scope where you get the updates and works nicer for just quick poking around.

Offline Mr Nutts

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2018, 06:53:23 pm »
That LeCroy document agrees with what I wrote and the various posts from Wurstunhund but I wonder if they did it differently in the past. I did not get into that much detail but breaking the acquisition record up into cache sized chunks is an obvious thing to do to maximize processor throughput which is very important if the processor is doing the heavy lifting which is LeCroy's thing.

From what I read it appears the principle is the same for all lecroy scopes, even the very old ones from the 1980s. They seem to be a bit like a separate acquisition box that connects to a PC, i.e. the box does one thing which is aquiring the signal and writing the sample data into its sample memory, and it's up to the PC to do something with the data. While other scopes appear to manipulate the data in the sample memory.

As Wurstunhund has pointed out, The LeCroy way has the advantage of always working with the entire acquisition record but I am not convinced the trade off is worth it.

I don't know. On college we had those Tek scopes (the ones with the built-in spectrum analyzer) and when we searched for problems we switched them into a special persistence mode (Fastac?) to look for anomalies, and when we found something we used trigger to pin it down (so we could measure it and see when the problem was gone). My first own scope was a DS1054z and I used it the same way. Then I wanted more bandwidth and bought the LT264, mostly because it was cheap. At first I couldn't get on with it so I googled around to see if I find a manual, and I found Mr Wurstunhund's messages. He seemed quite adamant that a better way to find problem in the signal than persistence mode is setting up the scope so it 'knows' what your signal is supposed to look like, and have it trigger on the anomalies. Which sounded way too difficult but I tried (I did find a manual eventually), and now most of the times I get by without persistence mode, just setup the scope with the signal parameter, and let it trigger on the anomalies. With sequence mode and history I even get a table that gives me a timestamp of each occurrence. I can also add measurements so I can see immediately what each anomaly looks like. And because it works through the trigger there's no blind time like on persistence mode.

If I use the LT264 (or my 'new' LT574M) like those Tektronix scopes then I don't get very far if the anomaly is rare.

If I use it the way Mr W has suggested I'm very sure I could find any anomaly in my signal no matter what right the first time it occurs.

Is it's worth it, I don't know. For me it was because now I can make better use of the functionality in my scopes, and get better results faster. But it's only a some years when I left college so I have used the standard method only for a modest period of time which probably makes it easier to switch to a different method.

There's obviously a learning curve. I'm good for static signals but still learning how to setup the scope for signals that are changing but I'm slowly getting there. It's amazing what these old scopes can do.

I also like that I can apply some function and then try another function without the need to reacquire the signal because the original waveform is always in the sample memory.

My 'new' Infinum 8064 has different acquisition modes, like the Tek scopes from college or my DS1054z. If I use anything else than normal mode then I won't get the original waveform data in sample memory.

I was referring to the other non PC scopes, i forgot they used the MegaZoom branding on the PC ones too.

I don't think they use the same kind of MegaZoom ASIC in the PC based scopes. The ones that don't have PCs inside, 6000, 7000, X2000, X3000, X4000, X6000 etc that have the super fast update rate are a highly integrated solution where basically everything is done in a single chip. The ADC feeds the ASIC and that spits out the image to the screen while the CPU sits on the side doing its thing with the menus and i/o interfaces.

The PC based scopes on the other hand are not all that highly integrated. There are many large chips with heatsinks doing various tasks and all the sample memory is external in the form of a large bank of dynamic RAM with a really wide bus to the acquisition ASICs. There are also always huge FPGAs to be frond on the board that ties all of it together and shovels the data back out to the PC.

From what I've read the MegaZoom in Infinums and Infinivision(?) scopes is practically the same, the difference is that the Infinums have much more memory (up to 128M) compared to the 4M in the Infinivision scopes. I think Mr Keysight_DanielBoganoff has explained that in another thread but I can't remember which one.

But based on what I read in those old Infinum scopes the waveforms are created by an ASIC and overlayed onto the Windows app. It appears the early scopes used some hardware method while newer Infinums like the 8000 use software overlays.

But it appears for scopes of this class waveform rates are mostly irrelevant because they have much better tools to get the information you want.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 06:55:21 pm by Mr Nutts »

Online David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2018, 10:49:07 pm »
That LeCroy document agrees with what I wrote and the various posts from Wurstunhund but I wonder if they did it differently in the past. I did not get into that much detail but breaking the acquisition record up into cache sized chunks is an obvious thing to do to maximize processor throughput which is very important if the processor is doing the heavy lifting which is LeCroy's thing.

From what I read it appears the principle is the same for all lecroy scopes, even the very old ones from the 1980s. They seem to be a bit like a separate acquisition box that connects to a PC, i.e. the box does one thing which is acquiring the signal and writing the sample data into its sample memory, and it's up to the PC to do something with the data. While other scopes appear to manipulate the data in the sample memory.

From what I remember, LeCroy's largest market was originally in what other companies would have called digitizers or transient data recorders for applications like high energy physics where every sampled data point must be made available for processing.  Maybe by the time Tektronix and HP were building DPO style DSOs, there was a patent thicket keeping LeCroy out of the market for DPO type oscilloscopes.

LeCroy's method might be considered FastFrame or segmented memory on steroids and like I said, it makes a lot of sense for some applications and from a semiconductor integration point of view.  I do not think it makes as much sense for design, development, and diagnostic applications.

I don't know. On college we had those Tek scopes (the ones with the built-in spectrum analyzer) and when we searched for problems we switched them into a special persistence mode (Fastac?) to look for anomalies, and when we found something we used trigger to pin it down (so we could measure it and see when the problem was gone).

FastAcq?  That is pretty recent.

Originally Tektronix had FastFrame which is just their name for segmented memory and then InstaView (DPO or digital phosphor oscilloscope mode) which generates a histogram directly into the display's frame buffer.  FastAcq apparently generates a histogram with a depth of 4 bits and transfers that to the processor which gets back to my idea of generating multiple histograms with different bit depths and decimation ratios to make the most of limited memory bandwidth.

My first own scope was a DS1054z and I used it the same way. Then I wanted more bandwidth and bought the LT264, mostly because it was cheap. At first I couldn't get on with it so I googled around to see if I find a manual, and I found Mr Wurstunhund's messages. He seemed quite adamant that a better way to find problem in the signal than persistence mode is setting up the scope so it 'knows' what your signal is supposed to look like, and have it trigger on the anomalies. Which sounded way too difficult but I tried (I did find a manual eventually), and now most of the times I get by without persistence mode, just setup the scope with the signal parameter, and let it trigger on the anomalies. With sequence mode and history I even get a table that gives me a timestamp of each occurrence. I can also add measurements so I can see immediately what each anomaly looks like. And because it works through the trigger there's no blind time like on persistence mode.

The problem is what if I do not know what I am looking for?  It is not enough to trigger on everything which is not the expected signal when I do not necessarily even know what the expected signal is in enough detail.  And what if I am looking for more than one thing?

Tektronix actually agrees with LeCroy's view; use DPO mode until you know what to trigger on and then setup the trigger to capture exactly what you need.

If I use the LT264 (or my 'new' LT574M) like those Tektronix scopes then I don't get very far if the anomaly is rare.

If I use it the way Mr W has suggested I'm very sure I could find any anomaly in my signal no matter what right the first time it occurs.

Is it's worth it, I don't know. For me it was because now I can make better use of the functionality in my scopes, and get better results faster. But it's only a some years when I left college so I have used the standard method only for a modest period of time which probably makes it easier to switch to a different method.

That makes sense because the LeCroy has much greater blind time if it cannot trigger on the signal; at least I assume that is the case based on the LeCroy documentation that I checked.  These two styles of DSO have different strengths and weaknesses so they must be used in different ways to make the most of their capabilities.

But based on what I read in those old Infinum scopes the waveforms are created by an ASIC and overlayed onto the Windows app. It appears the early scopes used some hardware method while newer Infinums like the 8000 use software overlays.

But it appears for scopes of this class waveform rates are mostly irrelevant because they have much better tools to get the information you want.

I concluded that memory bandwidth will always be the limiting factor.  If level 1 cache bandwidth is not sufficient, then it does not matter how fast the external memory is.  If the FPGA's memory blocks are too slow, then so is the external memory bus.  Note that this is trading processing required in the processor for processing at an earlier stage.  The processor already has enough to do producing the display.

So I wanted to find out what design could make the best use of limited memory bandwidth, whether inside of an FPGA or processor, for the least blind time and best display fidelity and designed backwards from there.  I ended up with something like the Rohde & Schwarz example that I posted earlier with hardware and memory duplication for parallel decimation streams.  I was thinking of implementing it on a Texas Instruments AM3358 (BealgeBone Black) which is obviously going to be pretty slow but I have to start somewhere.

Offline bson

• Supporter
« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2018, 11:42:54 pm »
That LeCroy document agrees with what I wrote and the various posts from Wurstunhund but I wonder if they did it differently in the past.  I did not get into that much detail but breaking the acquisition record up into cache sized chunks is an obvious thing to do to maximize processor throughput which is very important if the processor is doing the heavy lifting which is LeCroy's thing.
It seems they make Intel CPUs use a portion of the L1 or possibly L2 cache as fast SRAM and break the acquisition record into chunks intended to fit a portion of the cache.  They then apply the entire processing chain to each chunk as it sits in the cache before flushing it back out to memory.  I don't know if there are any special cache controls on Intel CPUs that makes this particularly easy, but it can always be accomplished with very careful data layout (assuming code has a separate L1 cache) based on the same underlying principles as cache coloring to avoid cache contention.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf