Author Topic: List your test equipment "scores" here!  (Read 777033 times)

Offline aroby

• Regular Contributor
Re: List your test equipment "scores" here!
« Reply #100 on: December 15, 2014, 10:20:03 pm »
Fluke 8840a for $40.  Apparently it wouldn't power on - the shipping cured that!
Tek 2225 with a bunch of original probes.  Works great.  $125 inc. shipping.

Anthony

Offline SharpEars

• Supporter
« Reply #101 on: December 15, 2014, 10:24:45 pm »
Fluke 8840a for $40.  Apparently it wouldn't power on - the shipping cured that!

lol, I've had that happen also. Item brokenfixed in shipping!

Offline PTR_1275

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #102 on: January 24, 2015, 06:22:04 am »
I just got a HP 6050 Load mainframe for $575 US ($700 Aussie Dollars) Plus shipping. That price seems to be pretty standard, but this one had 5 x 150w load modules installed.

When I got my hands on the unit, everything is in great condition and working. Accurate to 15mA from what I can test and the last cal sticker was 1996.

Been doing some power supply tests on it since it arrived to see if there are any bugs or glitches, but nothing so far.

It wasn't as good a deal as some of the ones on here, but I am really happy with it.

-Chris

Offline radiomog

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #103 on: January 24, 2015, 08:09:44 am »
I just upgraded to a Tek 2465A (350M/4ch)by selling my Tek 434(20M/2ch) with cart.  cost me $65 to do so.

Got a HP 141T (0-110MHz modules) and a HP 8640B in a barter for assembling some radio gear
Got the HP 10855A preamp for it, for $12

about 15 years ago, when I was big into weak signal VHF, I scored a NIB (OEM hard case) Polarad sig gen (800M-2G(~))with matching modulator, for $200

I've got a bunch of other stuff.. been doing this for a while.. the 'scores' are few/far between.
My job is so secret, even I don't know what I'm doing!

Offline aaronwhite30

« Reply #104 on: January 27, 2015, 02:39:09 am »
HP3561A ($75 Ebay), wouldn't stay powered on, simple fix. An error on the logic board where the system used the power line for clock sync. Removed the dependency and had it default to its own internal sync. Perfect!!

Offline radiomog

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #105 on: January 27, 2015, 03:07:11 am »
May have just scored a nice Kikusui Electronic load for cheap.. It wouldn't power up.
15 min of labor (I didn't turn it on, I took it apart)  ;)
used 'divide and conquer' to trouble shoot. bad MOV

My next trick will be an HP 3455A that won't power up.

Offline The Doc

• Contributor
« Reply #106 on: February 20, 2015, 02:46:57 pm »
I just scored these two for €50  8)

Too old to die young

Offline PaulAm

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #107 on: February 20, 2015, 03:15:55 pm »
Fluke  332b $185.  Was marked for parts or not working.  Turned out it was 100% good, the voltage trip control was turned down.  OK, I did have to replace 2 incandescent indicators for the decimal points.  Extremely clean inside; even included the extender card.

Tek 7904 scope $25.  No plugins, I bought it for parts, was supposed to have a PS fault,, but turned out to be fine.

HP 5005b signature analyzer $12 in the buck a pound box at a hamfest.  100%

HP 54620a LA with cables, $55.  I got this because the cables work with my 54645D and the cables by themselves go for 150-200 when you can find them.  Turns out it's not a bad little LA.

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page
« Reply #108 on: February 20, 2015, 03:29:05 pm »

That's a great result.

Offline RobHon

• Contributor
« Reply #109 on: February 20, 2015, 03:29:31 pm »
Four months ago I got a HP437B power meter for 27 USD, in an auction on ebay.
The seller use the wrong keywords on the description and title. At the end: just four bidders.
This meter is in an excellent condition, working well and accurate.
 :D

Offline necessaryevil

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #110 on: February 20, 2015, 04:26:50 pm »
What I scored:
A Tektronix 465B for about €50
A Tektronix 2205 for free

:D

Offline krivx

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #111 on: February 20, 2015, 04:41:13 pm »

Wow, where did these come from?

Offline vinicius.jlantunes

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #112 on: February 20, 2015, 04:58:55 pm »
I feel so jealous when I see the kind of gear you guys can get... it just doesn't happen in Brazil. Everything is so expensive that on the rare occasion when you find some good deal on quality gear, they will still cost 3 or 4 times more than what you guys pay. And well, NOTHING goes for free.

:(

Offline Smith

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #113 on: February 20, 2015, 07:28:42 pm »
I got an old HP 54502A 2 ch 400MHz scope from work. I knew it was busted. 1 channel was broken, it failed most selftests and the psu was failing (I used the previous one to repair my work scope, an HP 54503 or 54501 4ch 500MHz scope). Luckely it came with all original printed manuals, service manuals and a brandnew sealed input module. After placing it, replacing ALL psu caps and placing a new nvram all is working fine again.

Got lucky with a free Keithley 199 too. It couldn't be used no more because the new pc had no ISA slot for the GPIB card, so the meter couldn't be read  no more. All it took was a calibration on all but the voltage settings because the cal settings where lost. I really love this thing.

Got some other free stuff too. Most is BER, outdated (not always for me), or It would just take too much time to repair. A HP8116A took me ages to fix. The low freq stopped sometimes. After weeks I found it was the freq sweep input connector which was a little crusty and created a voltage divider with the pull-up. Just around the 1-2volt range on a ttl input |O
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 07:32:27 pm by Smith »
Trying is the first step towards failure

Offline necessaryevil

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #114 on: February 21, 2015, 09:41:39 am »
I feel so jealous when I see the kind of gear you guys can get... it just doesn't happen in Brazil....

Despite my luck with two oscilloscopes, I think electronic gear is expensive and a little hard to find in the Netherlands too. A multimeter can easily be 50-100 euro's more expensive over here - compared to the prices on test equipment depot and testequipment.net.

This can only partly be explained by the high VAT (21%). Maybe they do a very 'safe' dollar/euro conversion, or maybe the market here is too small for good competition.

Offline Smith

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #115 on: February 21, 2015, 02:10:01 pm »
Yes, most gear is verry expensive in the Netherlands. I guess its because of the dollar. So obviously second hand prices are higher too. But every once in a while someone doesn't know what he or she is selling. Those are the good days  :-+
Trying is the first step towards failure

Offline necessaryevil

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #116 on: February 21, 2015, 04:25:52 pm »
Yes, most gear is verry expensive in the Netherlands. I guess its because of the dollar. So obviously second hand prices are higher too. But every once in a while someone doesn't know what he or she is selling. Those are the good days  :-+
That's how I got my Tektronix 465B: I bought it from an university, they decided to get rid off old equipment, but they let the students do the actuall selling... The original price was 35 euro, but before I got it they were told by a professor to rise the price. It was still under 50 euro if I remember correct.

Offline The Doc

• Contributor
« Reply #117 on: February 21, 2015, 04:53:07 pm »

A friend put me in contact with a lad who he said had a load of old gear. Turns out he has a house full of decommissioned gear, and he can't be arsed putting it on ebay and dealing with the messers.

I have a few more bits on their way.

A Tektronix gigaBERT 700

A Data Precision 6100

... and he's throwing in a Tektronix 2465A with a noisy fan, and an MGE Pulsar M 3000 UPS that needs a new set of batteries... all for €200!  :wtf:

He said he'll get a list together of everything he has, but it will take him a week or three, so it looks like I have a new best friend! 
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 04:58:33 pm by The Doc »
Too old to die young

Offline necessaryevil

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #118 on: February 22, 2015, 11:50:19 am »
... and he's throwing in a Tektronix 2465A with a noisy fan, and an MGE Pulsar M 3000 UPS that needs a new set of batteries... all for €200!  :wtf:
That's a really great score, especially the Tektronix 2465A! UPS devices with dead batteries are easy to score for cheap, which doesn't mean they aren't usefull!

Offline krivx

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #119 on: February 22, 2015, 12:14:16 pm »

A friend put me in contact with a lad who he said had a load of old gear. Turns out he has a house full of decommissioned gear, and he can't be arsed putting it on ebay and dealing with the messers.

I have a few more bits on their way.

A Tektronix gigaBERT 700

A Data Precision 6100

He said he'll get a list together of everything he has, but it will take him a week or three, so it looks like I have a new best friend!

Wow, could you pass on any info once you've had a look?

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120 on: February 22, 2015, 07:00:13 pm »
A couple of years ago on another forum, a guy decided he was getting out of the microcontroller and electronics hobby. He wanted to sell his entire collection of stuff for $250. After a few days, I offered $225 shipped and he accepted.

I ended up selling most of the stuff on eBay. I stopped once I had recovered my $225 investment. What I had left (among other minor items) was a Parallax Optascope 81M USB oscilloscope, which still works to this day, and a brand new, never used and still in the original box, Hakko FX-888 (the analog version).

Since I already had two soldering irons, including a Hakko 937, the FX-888 is still unused, just sitting on a shelf in its box.

Offline The Doc

• Contributor
« Reply #121 on: February 23, 2015, 01:55:48 pm »

Wow, could you pass on any info once you've had a look?

Will do...  :-+
Too old to die young

Offline xwarpTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #122 on: March 02, 2015, 08:39:28 am »
Picked up a nice Fluke 85v, without holster, with new set of Barnett leads for $50.

Offline radiomog

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #123 on: March 07, 2015, 04:25:08 am »
does this count? my fellow RF types might appreciate it.  I found one one ebay, it was 1966 vintage, but there were no data markings on this particular one

I found this today at a 2nd hand store for ~$1 usd

now, if I could only figure out how to turn it on............ ;)

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #124 on: March 07, 2015, 10:20:02 am »
does this count? my fellow RF types might appreciate it.  I found one one ebay, it was 1966 vintage, but there were no data markings on this particular one

I found this today at a 2nd hand store for ~$1 usd

now, if I could only figure out how to turn it on............ ;)

Wow, nice score. There's one on ebay, asking US$350. Though it has the instruction folder.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-1966-Amphenol-Radio-Transmission-Line-Calculator-Circular-Slide-Rule-/171699915500?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27fa1ccaec

Thanks for posting the pics. I kind-of collect such things, and hadn't heard of that one before.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf