Author Topic: List your test equipment "scores" here!  (Read 458623 times)

gnavigator1007, ArcticGeek, croma641 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
Re: List your test equipment "scores" here!
« Reply #2225 on: December 17, 2018, 07:13:50 pm »
Ah yes this is classic HP construction of RF gear back then.

I had two repairs recently involving power issues on such era instruments. One was my HP 8566B that just needed a new fuse, no idea why it went(Looked fine in the glass but didn't conduct) and another was a HP 4191A (RF Impedance analyzer) that also had fans running but shown nothing on the front panel. Turned out it was a bent pin in a connector for the transformers 5V winding.

It was more work moving these heavy boatanchors onto the bench than actually fixing the trivial problem.

Offline cncjerry

• Supporter
« Reply #2226 on: December 18, 2018, 03:08:30 am »
On your 8566B, though I am against wholesale cap replacement, I had a leaky cap on one of the supplies so they do fail.  The supply was like the -10V or 10V, can't remember exactly, but the cap was a Sprague Powerlytic, 13000uf at 25V. The next time you have the RF unit it on its side you might want to check the ESR of some of the caps.  Mine just game me unlocks and other silly errors, fuse stayed ok.

Jerry

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2227 on: December 18, 2018, 06:11:36 am »
On your 8566B, though I am against wholesale cap replacement, I had a leaky cap on one of the supplies so they do fail.  The supply was like the -10V or 10V, can't remember exactly, but the cap was a Sprague Powerlytic, 13000uf at 25V. The next time you have the RF unit it on its side you might want to check the ESR of some of the caps.  Mine just game me unlocks and other silly errors, fuse stayed ok.

Jerry

I was mostly blaming the mains for that fuse. As the local area developed more houses ware added to the already long line to the transformer substation, additionally heat pumps became a popular way of heating homes here and that put a heavy load on the grid here. As a result i would get fairly low voltage in the mains of around 210 to 220V, this caused the HP 8566B brown out and reboot on a few occasions as it was set for 240V. To fix that i changed the mains selector to 220V and it was fine. In the mean time dad had a solar array installed and things got even worse, to the point where the solar inverter was throwing errors. So i set up a DMM to log the mains voltage over a few days and was shocked to find out it would at times dip to 180V while other times rise to 245V. I shown the graph to the power company and they hooked up there own voltage logger to indeed find the voltage is way out of spec. After some back and forth they finally ran a dedicated new line from the transformer station for this area. And that made the voltage rock solid.

So yeah id assume my unit didn't like being in 220V mode with those sort of swings. Who knows how big of a swing it saw since i was only logging for 3 days and saw overvoltage.

While i was in there troubleshooting the PSU i had poked around to check all supplies being correct and clean of noise, it looked fine, but id did not measure any caps. I have seen stories of the round silver polarized capacitors failing, but there are so many of those spread across pretty much all the boards that replacing those would take forever. Im always a bit intimidated by the complexity of this thing so i sort of hope i don't have to mess with it too much (Tho a lot of it is also due to the fact i hate moving this heavy bastard)

I don't use it all that often but so far it seamed reasonably reliable for how old it is. If i really needed a spectrum analyzer on a regular basis i would have probably went for something a bit more modern and convenient. Heck my 2nd Gigatronics 8GHz synthesizer still has a stuck solenoid in its mechanical attenuator that i still haven't got around to fixing.

Offline Harfner

• Contributor
« Reply #2228 on: December 23, 2018, 03:00:19 am »
A few months ago, while going back to my office, I stopped dead in my tracks in front of a pallet cage full of T&M gear heading for disposal. Obviously they had to clear out an ancient electronics lab.
As I was limited in time (travel next day which still needed preparation) and am limited in space (rented flat, which I share with a female which inexplicably has other priorities) I had to severely limit my choices. So I did not take the 2 oscilloscopes (one 4-channel !) and did not even look up the specs or even remember the model, as that memory probably would have been too painful. I also did not rescue the 4 Fluke 8020A, as my TEA has brought several multimeters in my hands and I do not need another one, however unconvincing that may sound.
What I managed to rescue: HP3478A, HP8116A, Racal Dana 1991, Keithley 2410. You can see the stack before I moved it to the attic.
The HP3478A works as far as I can test, I had to get new button caps and had to replace the ram battery.
The HP8116A seems to work, the NiCd battery just started to leak.
The Racal Dana 1991 had the usual problem, nearly all switches dead, I had to replace them
The Keithly 2410 will definitely need much work. The power section does not work at all, perhaps the custom transformer is dead, it looks overheated.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2229 on: December 23, 2018, 01:17:38 pm »
Not a bad score that, especially the 3478A.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline cncjerry

• Supporter
« Reply #2230 on: December 23, 2018, 03:19:47 pm »

I was mostly blaming the mains for that fuse. As the local area developed more houses ware added to the already long line to the transformer substation, additionally heat pumps became a popular way of heating homes here and that put a heavy load on the grid here. As a result i would get fairly low voltage in the mains of around 210 to 220V, this caused the HP 8566B brown out and reboot on a few occasions as it was set for 240V. To fix that i changed the mains selector to 220V and it was fine. In the mean time dad had a solar array installed and things got even worse, to the point where the solar inverter was throwing errors. So i set up a DMM to log the mains voltage over a few days and was shocked to find out it would at times dip to 180V while other times rise to 245V. I shown the graph to the power company and they hooked up there own voltage logger to indeed find the voltage is way out of spec. After some back and forth they finally ran a dedicated new line from the transformer station for this area. And that made the voltage rock solid.

Same issue.  New neighborhood, aluminum wire, poor connections, and the legs were out of balance.  One leg around 70 and the other 110.  When the neighbors would flip on their oven, my lights would dim. They ultimately pulled all new wire in my neighborhood which fixed it all.

Jerry

Offline cncjerry

• Supporter
« Reply #2231 on: December 23, 2018, 03:34:12 pm »
By the way, many of the cylindrical silver caps are not electrolytic but tantalum, expensive little devices.  I picked up a couple of thousand of various values from a guy who repaired Tek and HP scopes.  Let me know if you need any by PM.

Jerry

Offline Smokey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2232 on: December 23, 2018, 08:46:33 pm »
cool.

Offline Epatsellis

• Contributor
  • Amateur Extra Class NJ9P
« Reply #2233 on: December 30, 2018, 07:37:00 pm »
Loads of fun, especially for low band dxing. As an aside, the LO has exceptionally good phase noise performance, and I use mine as an RF signal generator below 32Mhz, with a step attenuator it really is useful on the bench.

Should you decide that the OCXO in you spare is surplus to your needs let me know, I've been looking for one half heartedly for a while.

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2234 on: December 30, 2018, 09:16:06 pm »
By the way, many of the cylindrical silver caps are not electrolytic but tantalum, expensive little devices.  I picked up a couple of thousand of various values from a guy who repaired Tek and HP scopes.  Let me know if you need any by PM.

Jerry

I just remember them being polarized capacitors. While i was in there i randomly measured a few in circuit and they seamed fine. Some have said they are unreliable and start to fail horribly with age. But there are so many of them in there that i don't really want to recap the whole thing unless they do start to go bad.

Do you need to replace these with genuine parts? Wouldn't a modern electrolytic do just fine?

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2235 on: December 31, 2018, 10:33:56 am »

Jerry

I just remember them being polarized capacitors. While i was in there i randomly measured a few in circuit and they seamed fine. Some have said they are unreliable and start to fail horribly with age. But there are so many of them in there that i don't really want to recap the whole thing unless they do start to go bad.

Do you need to replace these with genuine parts? Wouldn't a modern electrolytic do just fine?
I don't think that the colported problems apply to the hermetic ones. If the lead goes though a little glass bead, the should be ok if they measure ok.

Offline velik_kazakov

• Contributor
« Reply #2236 on: January 06, 2019, 03:34:17 am »
today I make my best deal till now. On the city bazaar I grab a NI GPIB-USB-HS+ for under 3USD (5 BGN)  ;). Now I test it with one of my DMMS. All work for now w/o any problems. It write date from 3+ hours.
In the future I will be at the bazzar every Saturday morning :).
Sorry for my bad English!

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2237 on: January 07, 2019, 01:52:49 pm »
today I make my best deal till now. On the city bazaar I grab a NI GPIB-USB-HS+ for under 3USD (5 BGN)  ;). Now I test it with one of my DMMS. All work for now w/o any problems. It write date from 3+ hours.
Ok, that is crazy good. Should we all visit Bulgaria?

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #2238 on: January 07, 2019, 02:23:09 pm »
Maybe velik will buy them all and resell in the Buy/Sell/Wanted forum. ;D
Life is better under the TEA. ♪♩♫ Under the TEA. ♩♫

Offline sotos

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2239 on: January 07, 2019, 02:42:02 pm »

What’s the name of your city?

Offline velik_kazakov

• Contributor
« Reply #2240 on: January 08, 2019, 05:43:03 pm »
There have only one pcs in a big lot of gsm/computer/playstation cables. I look to find something other (think will have some gpib cables) but no other interesting items in the lot.
I am in Stara Zagora, but the adapter come from Germany. There have a label on German and have some numbers on the NI logo.
I use one PCI to GPIB, but this adapter is very easy for use compared to my old one.
Sorry for my bad English!

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Super Contributor
  • NW0LF
« Reply #2241 on: January 09, 2019, 05:47:47 am »
I have posted it to the TEA thread but I will share here.  I scored a 2nd HP 3478A multimeter.  It has a Keysight calibration sticker until April and seller states it passes self test.  $70 USD and $28 for shipping. :-DMM  I will be peeking under the skirt to see if I can determine age of the battery.  I will also be looking at the RIFA caps as I had to replace all 4 in my first meter.
That which doesn't kill you still requires a co-pay.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>?
« Reply #2242 on: January 09, 2019, 11:30:06 am »
Congratulations!  :-+
I am a Test Equipment Addict (TEA) - by virtue of this forum signature, I have now faced my addiction

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2243 on: January 09, 2019, 11:44:18 am »
I have posted it to the TEA thread but I will share here.  I scored a 2nd HP 3478A multimeter.  It has a Keysight calibration sticker until April and seller states it passes self test.  $70 USD and $28 for shipping. :-DMM  I will be peeking under the skirt to see if I can determine age of the battery.  I will also be looking at the RIFA caps as I had to replace all 4 in my first meter.
That is a meter that's perfectly possible to self calibrate, good score, I've got one and also a 3468A, the portable version  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2244 on: January 12, 2019, 09:24:44 am »
There have only one pcs in a big lot of gsm/computer/playstation cables. I look to find something other (think will have some gpib cables) but no other interesting items in the lot.
I am in Stara Zagora, but the adapter come from Germany. There have a label on German and have some numbers on the NI logo.
I use one PCI to GPIB, but this adapter is very easy for use compared to my old one.
It occured to me right after my last post that it might not be a good idea to buy back those things that were 'lost' here, so not to encourage it.

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #2245 on: January 24, 2019, 06:17:26 am »
Wall'O'Wavepro and other assorted LeCroys

HP4192A LF impedance analyzer

Too bad somebody removed some stickers on the frontplate with a chissel or something and the trigger buttons on the bottom left got knackered but otherwise in pretty good knick. Too bad I have no time for functional testing, this thing seems like a damn nice piece of kit...
eBay shop with all the gear you need!
FS: Agilent 54815A, 54825A, R&S CMU200, CRTU, SFU, SMIQ06L, SFU, HP8714B, 8595E, Marconi 6201B, Lecroy WP 960,950, 9354TM, THS720P, Anritsu MG3671A 2.75G I/Q RF gen, MS8604A 8.5GHz SA, Keithley 238 SMU

Offline wolfy007

• Contributor
  • Back into electronics again, as a hobby this time.
« Reply #2246 on: January 24, 2019, 04:11:24 pm »
@Ice-Tea, I was looking at my work room last night thinking that perhaps I had become a gear addict, clearly Im just a hypochondriac...  :-DD
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 04:13:10 pm by wolfy007 »
Tek: 222A, 212, TAS465, TDS460A, 2465, 2465B, 2467, TM504, TM506, SG504, SG503, PG506, TG501, SC504, PS503a, FG501a, DM504a, PG501, 7603+7L12
BWD: 835, 539d, 521, 504, 141, 160a  Fluke: 8060A, 8024B, 8025A, 27/FM, 87, 87III   HP: 5315A, 3478a, 3468A, 3457a  Keithley: 196, 228a  Solartron: 7081 7151

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2247 on: January 24, 2019, 05:52:27 pm »
Heh, well, these are all to be sold. I think. Well, maybe not all...
FS: Agilent 54815A, 54825A, R&S CMU200, CRTU, SFU, SMIQ06L, SFU, HP8714B, 8595E, Marconi 6201B, Lecroy WP 960,950, 9354TM, THS720P, Anritsu MG3671A 2.75G I/Q RF gen, MS8604A 8.5GHz SA, Keithley 238 SMU

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #2248 on: January 24, 2019, 06:09:53 pm »
Heh, well, these are all to be sold. I think. Well, maybe not all...

Can only see the HP Infinium's on our local evilbay. Missing the Spec Analyzers and the Lecroys if you want to consider tweaking your adds?

Trying to be restrained is sometimes very hard when bling is on show >:D
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order :)

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2249 on: January 24, 2019, 07:05:34 pm »
Odd.. just did a search through the Australian ebay.. seems to work just fine? Only thing is that the postage is not filled in. Difficult to ship heavy stuff to Aus, so I tend to get custom quotes for the shipment first...

https://www.ebay.com.au/usr/m.ice-tea?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

The following users thanked this post: beanflying

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf