Author Topic: List your test equipment "scores" here!  (Read 776989 times)

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
Re: List your test equipment "scores" here!
« Reply #300 on: August 24, 2015, 12:05:18 am »
I got this HP8116A function/pulse generator for a 230$ , yesterday cleaned up and seems to be work fine.

Cool - I've seen a lot of those on Ebay, may get one myself.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline BFX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #301 on: August 24, 2015, 05:16:13 am »
I got this HP8116A function/pulse generator for a 230$ , yesterday cleaned up and seems to be work fine.

It's no super quality there is lot of distortion over 10MHz. Let's see square wave at 30MHz.
But up to 10Mhz it's usable. And up to 50MHz as signal generator.

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #302 on: August 24, 2015, 05:18:47 am »
Agilent N1996A .1 to 3000 MHz Spectrum Analyzer like new for less then the price of a Rigol DSA815-TG. I then used info on the forum to enable all of the extra features such as Histogram, Response Stimulus(the tracking gen), the modulation analyzer and AM/FM demod. Once that was done I couldn't help but experiment with the band "limits". Agilent makes a .1 to 3000 MHz unit and a 0.1 to 6000 MHz unit. I made a few tweaks and mine now magically works to 6 GHz. By default the tracking gen/stimulus package starts at 10 MHz but I changed that to 1 MHz and it seems to work fine there as well. A little advertised feature in the unit is a fully internal/automatic full bandwidth return loss bridge. No additional hardware needed to do return loss/SWR from 1 to 6000 MHz - total score for a ham radio guy.
Here are a few fun shots, one of my HF antenna, the other of a dual band wifi antenna.
VE7FM

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
« Reply #303 on: August 24, 2015, 06:05:14 am »
I have purchased quite a few bits from eBay over the past two years as I have entered the EE arena.

I got a an Agilent 6653A 500W power supply 0-35V 0-15A for about $400 which I thought was decent. The 6653A is a fantastic power supply. The real score was a month or so later when a found one for "Parts or not working" and got it just under $200. When I received it, there was indeed no voltage at the outputs, but cosmetically in good shape. I took off the cover and started hunting for obvious problems. I used my known good 6653A as a reference and everything was checking out ok. There were no self-check errors and all voltages on the PCB were just fine.

Eventually, I noticed the screw that attaches the output terminal to the Main PCB was loose. I tightened the screw and all was just fine. It has been in continuous use ever since. The user interface on these are not all that great, but I have them being controlled over GPIB now so it does not matter. They are super clean and have a good dynamic response. Sense lines are very handy. I would not trade these for any other supply in the same range. New cost is well over $3,000 US

Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

Offline Joule Thief

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #304 on: August 25, 2015, 11:00:34 am »
I snagged two Fluke 8800A's 5 1/2 digit multimeters and a Velleman PCS500 2 Ch 50MHz parallel port connected PC Scope going to the dumpster at a local college.

The two Flukes were noisy on all functions and ranges. Both meters had identical failures of the 50uF 50V caps in the 35 volt power supply. Replacing all the caps in power supplies brought both meters back to life.

The Velleman PC scope had classic 120Hz ripple and would not auto calibrate. You guessed it!
A dry 1000uF cap in the wall wart power supply repaired all the faults.
Perturb and observe.

Offline PaulAm

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #305 on: August 25, 2015, 12:04:32 pm »
I have to stop reading this forum.  After being impressed by some recent threads, I put a low ball offer on an HP 6441a (less than 50% of the asking price) and it was accepted.   Should show up in a few days.

Offline MadTux

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #306 on: August 27, 2015, 05:27:20 pm »
Slightly damaged HP 8566AB for 350€ delivered, probably a dumpster dive rescue some time ago. Dude who sold it to me bought it for parts, but never used any of it, so I got a complete unit.

Since it#s a 8566AB, it has MC68000 retrofit instead of HP9845 CPU, so there will be no problems with unobtanium CPU.

Front panel is  quite smashed up, but that (polystyrene if I'm correct) plastic can be epoxied quite well and I can salvage a new front frame from a 85662A that probably took a bath in the dead sea. (bought unknowingly from that stupid israel guy loooong ago, before those pics of those bulldozed handheld DMMs were online)

Apart from smashed front panel, it's complete, hopefully there is no toasted input mixer or damage to the YIG oscillator. Will find out soon...... Else I have parts unit for my other 8566s.

BTW I need to stop collecting old spectrum analysers, since that one is 8566 #4   :-DD
And I need to get a microwave sweeper/synthesizer with power meter to recalibrate YIG filters

Offline rvalente

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #307 on: August 27, 2015, 06:32:12 pm »
Got this Fluke 87-V in great condition (no holster) for R$500,00 or 140USD in todays prices.

A new unit costs 5 times more in Farnell Brazil.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #308 on: August 27, 2015, 07:54:50 pm »

- check the nicad battery on the computer board. no risk in desoldering it you don't lose calibration
- check the heatsinks on the hybrids ( bottom board )
- check top board for rubber bumper feet that tend to 'dissolve' themselves.
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline eas

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tech Obsessed
« Reply #309 on: August 27, 2015, 10:28:54 pm »
I don't need it, I don't even "need" it, but for ~$20 with shipping, it was impossible to resist:

I'll see how much work it needs when it arrives (if it arrives -- the seller's account goes back a couple years, but only sold their first items a couple days ago).

The seller has some older HP/Harrison supplies available for similarly low prices. 
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 10:33:10 pm by eas »

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #310 on: August 27, 2015, 10:32:42 pm »
Received a Tek CFG253 signal generator from an Ebay seller. Nothing really special about it, the stamp on the inside of the case is dated Oct 1997. The thing is, this unit has got to be new old stock. I mean there isn't a trace or indication it's ever been used, barely a speck of dust on it, not the slightest scratch in the case, no signs of any human hands ever adjusted any knob. On the inside it could pass for coming straight off the assembly line. It even came with a line cord still sealed in the bag - it has to be the original. I don't know where these things come from, but they're out there still.

What I'm doing with it is keeping it with the other Tek models that stack up together, so I can possibly give them to my nephew, if I can get him interested in electronics.  Hahaha :-//

I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline mzacharias

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #311 on: August 27, 2015, 10:56:24 pm »
Pristine Fluke 87III with new Fluke probes in a C80Y case / tilt stand for 100.00 U.S. with free freight. Happened to catch it on eBay BIN just as it listed. It wouldn't have lasted long. Fuses were even good.  :-+

Offline BFX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #312 on: August 28, 2015, 03:10:31 pm »

- check the nicad battery on the computer board. no risk in desoldering it you don't lose calibration
- check the heatsinks on the hybrids ( bottom board )
- check top board for rubber bumper feet that tend to 'dissolve' themselves.

Thank you for hints, should this guy generate good square wave up to 50MHz?
Here is also few photos from inside.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #313 on: August 28, 2015, 03:13:39 pm »
It looks like a product from my first employer: riddled with adjustment pots and an adjustment scheme nobody understands  ^-^
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline katzohki

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Blog
« Reply #314 on: August 28, 2015, 03:33:22 pm »

It's no super quality there is lot of distortion over 10MHz. Let's see square wave at 30MHz.

I have one of those. I got what I would call a useable square wave up to about 25MHz, but it probably depends on signal level. (left the multiplier on 1000X so it's probably 4Vp-p). Besides square wave, which I think is pretty good, the signal generation is really nice. You can modulate AM, FM, sweep generator and all sorts of cool stuff all the way up to 50MHz!

:)

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #315 on: August 28, 2015, 06:03:11 pm »

Yea as I said it's for a beginner - if I can get him to ... begin.  :-//

Oh but wait till you see what I got just today! A "NOS" HP 5334B with new manuals and the OCXO option! Oh Ahh. Pics coming later today.  :popcorn:
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 09:14:16 pm by xrunner »

Offline BFX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #316 on: August 28, 2015, 07:38:21 pm »

I have one of those. I got what I would call a useable square wave up to about 25MHz, but it probably depends on signal level. (left the multiplier on 1000X so it's probably 4Vp-p). Besides square wave, which I think is pretty good, the signal generation is really nice. You can modulate AM, FM, sweep generator and all sorts of cool stuff all the way up to 50MHz!

:)

Here is my output at 25Mhz/5V using direct hf cable ended by around 50ohm resistor. (I haven't right bnc terminator yet)

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #317 on: August 28, 2015, 10:24:51 pm »
Here it is - just arrived. Very nice!

Offline MadTux

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #318 on: August 29, 2015, 02:49:55 am »
My new 8566AB now works nearly flawlessly, only a few PLL unlocks, but that's probably all fixable.

Removed damaged front panel and installed replacement front frame from old 85662A. Since the metallisation beneath the paint of the damaged front panel was flaking off, I decided to strip all that stuff and dumped the panel (plastic only, all metal except the brass screw nuts) into a bucket full of dilute sodium hydroxide solution (prolly about 5-10g/L).

I thought that the metallisation to be aluminium, but it isn't (probably nickel, but not sure). Thereby the process is very slow (aluminium foil is quickly eaten by that solution). But it still gets dissolved somewhat and the metallisation layer can easily be stripped with high pressure water jet cleaner after the panel spent a night in hydroxide solution. No harm to the plastic whatsoever (solvents will probably harm the plastic).

Since I couldn't wait, I borrowed a front panel from other 8566 and installed it. But new 8566 was dead, both red LED were on. So I checked voltage rails (only with Keithley 2015, dumb idea), +5.2V rail was at 4.3V, so there's must be a tantalum cap short somewhere, I thought and started to remove cards. But with all cards removed, both red LEDs were still on and 8566 was still completely dead. So I swapped CPU cards from good unit, but still dead unit.

Then I decided to check voltages again but used trusty Tek 7904A with 7A13 this time. And big surprise, the 4.3V on 5V rail turned out to be more or less 100Hz AC from rectifier, with 4.3V DC content. Which means that this biga** blue 30000uF cap on the 5V rail is completely dried out. Don't let size foul you 8).

Put everything back together and borrowed that cap from other 8566 et voila, working 8566. ;D ;D ;D

Now only need to fix that front panel and find out, why those 2 PLLs refuse to lock.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 03:00:43 am by MadTux »

Online Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #319 on: August 29, 2015, 03:03:58 am »
My new 8566AB now works nearly flawlessly, only a few PLL unlocks, but that's probably all fixable.

Removed damaged front panel and installed replacement front frame from old 85662A. Since the metallisation beneath the paint of the damaged front panel was flaking off, I decided to strip all that stuff and dumped the panel (plastic only, all metal except the brass screw nuts) into a bucket full of dilute sodium hydroxide solution (prolly about 5-10g/L).

I thought that the metallisation to be aluminium, but it isn't (probably nickel, but not sure). Thereby the process is very slow (aluminium foil is quickly eaten by that solution). But it still gets dissolved somewhat and the metallisation layer can easily be stripped with high pressure water jet cleaner after the panel spent a night in hydroxide solution. No harm to the plastic whatsoever (solvents will probably harm the plastic).

Since I couldn't wait, I borrowed a front panel from other 8566 and installed it. But new 8566 was dead, both red LED were on. So I checked voltage rails (only with Keithley 2015, dumb idea), +5.2V rail was at 4.3V, so there's must be a tantalum cap short somewhere, I thought and started to remove cards. But with all cards removed, both red LEDs were still on and 8566 was still completely dead. So I swapped CPU cards from good unit, but still dead unit.

Then I decided to check voltages again but used trusty Tek 7904A with 7A13 this time. And big surprise, the 4.3V on 5V rail turned out to be more or less 100Hz AC from rectifier, with 4.3V DC content. Which means that this biga** blue 30000uF cap on the 5V rail is completely dried out. Don't let size foul you 8).

Put everything back together and borrowed that cap from other 8566 et voila, working 8566. ;D ;D ;D

Now only need to fix that front panel and find out, why those 2 PLLs refuse to lock.

Man, it looks snug as a bug with it's friends in the background.  Nice fix and nice collection.

Offline MadTux

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #320 on: August 29, 2015, 03:26:09 am »
Man, it looks snug as a bug with it's friends in the background.  Nice fix and nice collection.

Thanks,I'm too quite happy with my collection. Mostly/nearly all bought cheaply broken or untested and repaired. If I'd live back in the 80's with all that gear, I'd probably be a test gear millionaire, considering the catalogue price of that stuff back then.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #321 on: August 29, 2015, 05:34:56 am »
My new 8566AB .......

Wow, that you would not expect.  :o
Is it situated close to a heat source?

Thanks for sharing.  :-+
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Rupunzell

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #322 on: August 29, 2015, 05:45:03 am »
That computer grade screw terminal cap has a date code of 1982, week of 01 or that cap lasted about 30 years. Not too bad for service life.

The PLL un-locks should be quite fixable, problem can be dead tantalum caps to out of value resistors related to the YIGs or dirty connectors. Suggest try cleaning the connectors first, then moving on the caps and ...

After a good going over and cal, it should be good for a few more decades of service.

Great to see another hp 8566 put back into service. ;)

Bernice

Offline PaulAm

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #323 on: September 01, 2015, 08:14:52 pm »
My HP 6114a showed up today.  Other than some sticker residue and missing front feet, it's in perfect condition and even works.  :-DD

Pretty good for $60.  Now I can throw away one of those crappy PSs I have.  I'll still replace some of the caps though.

Offline Smith

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #324 on: September 01, 2015, 08:34:35 pm »
Bought a defective Philips PM6661 automatic counter for 10 euro. Looks to be in a nice condition. It's probably the most cute gear in my collection.  :-DMM May not be a great catch to some of you, but in Europe measurement gear seems to be so much more expensive than in America. Too bad shipping costs from America to Europe are expensive.

Will start troubleshooting tommorow.
Trying is the first step towards failure

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf