Author Topic: New Siglent SPD4000X series power supply  (Read 5669 times)

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
Re: New Siglent SPD4000X series power supply
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2023, 02:04:30 pm »
I don't understand why more manufacturers don't use these...
AIM-TTI. They have some great power supplies we have a bunch of them at work. Nice small, not bloated, quality, quiet, and lot's of features on the front panel.
This one from Siglent, also looks nice, well thought user interface.

Offline MathWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2023, 01:47:22 pm »
So these aren't for sale yet? Or only in Asia ? I have the spd3303x and it's great for the low power stuff I've been doing. And adjustable bench PSU's are so convenient and easy, compared to going to the junk box for old dirty SMPS's, or messing around with linear regulators.

I made a 20V 1A CV-CV PSU that's decent enough, but it's only 1 channel. And just working on an AM TX and RX, I would like another channel or 2. I'm forgetting I have another 5V rail on my 3303x, I'm going to use that right now.

I'll be watching for these when I go to get another PSU.

Online mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2023, 02:55:42 pm »
The PS is an often overlooked piece of test bench equipment. Having a good multi-channel, low noise, accurate, quiet PS will prove itself in short order when doing lab test & development work. One that doesn't exhibit voltage overshoot at Turn On or Off, and quick, accurate low level Current Limit are important features when working with low voltage circuits like modern CMOS. The 3303X we have (3) have delivered such with only complaints being the unusual terminal spacing (which seems to be corrected in the 4000) and somewhat quirky UI which one quickly gets used too.

We also have a GW Instek 4323, another really nice PS with all those features and 4 controllable/displayed channels. However the "GoTo" PS for most of our lab bench use in the 3303X, it's quick, easy and just gets the job done on the bench without hassle :-+

Best,
Curiosity killed the cat, also depleted my wallet!
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Offline exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2023, 09:37:48 pm »
What are the prices?

Online Antonio90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2023, 08:17:39 am »
You can find them in the chart at the end of the chinese Siglent page.
€ 625 for the 2x 6V 3.2A & 2x 32V 3.2A
€ 755: 2x 15V 1.5A & 2x 15V 10A
€ 1009: 2x 15V 1.5A & 2x 30V 10A

All of them are within 0.03% + 0.03 of readback value.
Noise and transient response seem also quite good.

I would compare them with the ~equivalent from GW Instek and pick based on price and support/availability locally, as they do seem to be pretty similar, and I wouldn't be surprised if they share the internals.

Offline GnomeZA

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2023, 03:26:27 pm »
I have a SPD3303X-E (hacked to SPD3303X), I'm a hobbyist so I use it weekly (not daily).
The powersupply is superb but the way they have you switch between voltage and current adjust on the current channel and adjust the voltage update and down is atrocious.
I make mistakes all the time because the "fine" key and left right keys are just restrictive and stupidly setup.
It's like they didn't do any usability studies.
It is objectively badly designed in that way.

I really hope the new version improves on that, I feel like this isn't a hard problem to solve.

Online BillyO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2023, 04:29:01 am »
The second point, which is not so interesting for private use, is the terminals.
At work, we only use 4 mm safety test leads, which don't fit in there.

I must be missing something but why would you need safety terminals on a LV, LC, short circuit protected PS?

Is it because they are the only leads you have?

It seems a bit of a strange parameter on which to make a purchasing decision.  Especially if it meant you'd have to put up with an inferior power supply.  Maybe you have a ton of test leads, but only need a few power supplies?  But then you'd only need to buy a few leads to work with the few supplies.

Not trying to be combative .. I just really don't understand this.  Leads are not very expensive and it seems having a variety for specific needs might actually be a good idea.

I guess one reason might be that a company has a lot of unqualified personnel that might stupidly use a non-safety lead in a HV, HC, CAT IV situation.  :-//  Of course, if they were likely to make that error they should not be allowed to work in such an enviroment.

:-//
Bill  (Currently a Siglent fanboy)
--------------------------------------------------
Want to see an old guy fumble around re-learning a career left 40 years ago?  Well, look no further .. https://www.youtube.com/@uni-byte

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2023, 10:27:34 am »
Keep in mind Darwin is very keen on handing out awards as he has an infinite amount of those  :-BROKE

It looks like Martin is working in a lab where they have lots of high voltage / mains powered systems. I wouldn't want to have non-isolated banana leads available to anyone in such an environment. It is too easy for people to get tempted to use a non-isolated one where they really, really should use an isolated one.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, thm_w, Kean, 2N3055

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2023, 11:09:25 am »
Keep in mind Darwin is very keen on handing out awards as he has an infinite amount of those  :-BROKE

It looks like Martin is working in a lab where they have lots of high voltage / mains powered systems. I wouldn't want to have non-isolated banana leads available to anyone in such an environment. It is too easy for people to get tempted to use a non-isolated one where they really, really should use an isolated one.
And/or have retractable shrouded leads…..
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online BillyO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2023, 03:22:16 pm »

It is too easy for people to get tempted to use a non-isolated one where they really, really should use an isolated one.
Perhaps you are right but maybe if the people would carelessly use leads with bare metal showing in HV situations it may be advantageous in the long run to allow them to win their award.  >:D
Want to see an old guy fumble around re-learning a career left 40 years ago?  Well, look no further .. https://www.youtube.com/@uni-byte

Online Antonio90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2023, 03:32:56 pm »

It is too easy for people to get tempted to use a non-isolated one where they really, really should use an isolated one.
Perhaps you are right but maybe if the people would carelessly use leads with bare metal showing in HV situations it may be advantageous in the long run to allow them to win their award.  >:D
It is a matter of probability I guess. The most reasonable person can make a blunder or do something stupid.
They already have a setup of test leads that work and have been chosen according to regulations, internal policies and test setups. I really don't see the problem, taking into account that there are other options in the market with specs just as good as these.

Offline mon

« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2024, 05:46:27 am »
Lurked for a long while but this PSU has got me excited enough to make an account.

I feel like this is going to be a very popular mid-range supply, even with the price looking almost double that of the SPD3303X. I'm in the market for a new lab supply and it seems like it solves many of the problems that others have

• Normal number input (unlike the totally lacking SPD3303X, and the insane circular input of the rigols)
  • Actual programmable voltage/current for the lower voltage inputs (no fixed outputs as the SPD3303X)
  • Short form factor for the cheapest model (unlike the rigols)
  • Fully isolated (Rigol 900 series fixed that, but the 800 series is still popular)
  • 1mV/1mA as standard (you could argue the unlock hacks make this unimportant)
  • hopefully doesn't have the power-on spikes and hot regulators, seems both Rigol and Siglent fixed that in the previous generation

And personally, I do like the black case. I won't comment on the protected bananas, I don't use them much...

The only other real competitor in this price range is the GPP-4323, but in Australia they're pricey at A$1300, and I hate the 4/1/2/3 port numbering.

User manual (in chinese) has the dimensions.
220x144.97mm on the front panel, 335mm deep for the SPD4323X and 395mm deep for the higher spec models.

It'll be an added bonus if the release of this drops the price of the 3000 series.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2024, 06:29:13 am »
Welcome to the forum.

The top model SPD4306X is listed as ¥7,880 which is roughly 1100 USD so getting up there however western pricing has never converted well. We'll just have to wait and see.
I've asked questions about these PSU's but not got much info.....yet.  :popcorn:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: mon

Offline mon

« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2024, 06:41:28 am »
The top model SPD4306X is listed as ¥7,880 which is roughly 1100 USD so getting up there however western pricing has never converted well. We'll just have to wait and see.
I've asked questions about these PSU's but not got much info.....yet.  :popcorn:

Yes, the top model is definitely a big jump in price - I'm looking solely at the lowest tier which seems a lot more bang for buck.

Fingers crossed we get a full release of this and the new HD scopes after Chinese New Year.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2024, 07:06:23 am »
Fingers crossed we get a full release of this and the new HD scopes after Chinese New Year.
Sadly no, only the 3 new ranges of HD scopes will come available in the next few weeks.
I have asked for a 2024 release program which they were preparing and maybe that won't be finalised for a few weeks.  :-//
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: mon

Offline mon

« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2024, 11:21:52 am »
I have asked for a 2024 release program which they were preparing and maybe that won't be finalised for a few weeks.  :-//
It's been a handful of weeks - any news on a release date?

I'm already starting to line up projects to utilise the remote programming - not like another PSU can't do the trick (GW-4323 calls strongly), but I'm still enamoured with this new one, and the dumb Tenma from work doesn't cut it.

Offline MathWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2024, 01:32:19 pm »
Will the older models get any cheaper ?

Offline seajayshore

« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2024, 02:56:29 pm »
Just chiming-in to say these new power supplies do look very nice on paper. Especially the SPD4306X (400W) one in my case...

I wonder how loud it will be though... My SPD3303X is a little noisy IMO (but I don't have many other references).

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2024, 07:15:56 pm »
Just chiming-in to say these new power supplies do look very nice on paper. Especially the SPD4306X (400W) one in my case...
Not long to wait, they should be available in July.

I wonder how loud it will be though... My SPD3303X is a little noisy IMO (but I don't have many other references).
These are almost silent at low loads, are you pushing yours ?

The 4000 series seems to share the same size enclosure and fan however capable of higher output capability one would expect greater fan cooling to manage the top model 400W specification.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline seajayshore

« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2024, 05:50:12 pm »
Thanks for the update tautech - keeping watch  :popcorn:

As for my SPD3303X - my current project has it sat around 45-55W consistently (19V if that makes a difference). So like 20-25% of full load?
It's not annoyingly noisy I should add - and is definitely silent at much lower power - but yeah it's sat right next to me so I notice. Very happy with it all the same!

Offline AddisonAve1938

« Reply #45 on: Today at 05:20:22 pm »
Does anyone have an idea or the inside scope of as to when these will hit the North American market?

Online BillyO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: Today at 05:29:12 pm »
Does anyone have an idea or the inside scope of as to when these will hit the North American market?
I'm guessing mid-summer, however you could put in a query to siglentna.com.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf